Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #46
canadius_maximus OP
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
By swapping the wires I meant for each blinker separately, swapping the positive and ground leads. Is that what you did?

Do you have a separate turn signal indicator bulb or is it part of the instrument panel? If it's separate, remove it and then try again.

This LED flasher should plug right in:
http://sicassracing.com/store/produc...h=105_46_2222&
Yes Lukas - thanks for clarifying, and yes, I did try switching first one pair, then the other pair, and then both one way, and finally both another.

Brown->black + red->yellow produced the "best results" - where the rears were bright, though not flashing - and the front did nothing. When I connected brown->yellow + red->black the rears were very dim, and the fronts did nothing.

Regarding your flasher recommendation, that page states the 22-300 is NOT for the KTM 690 - they refer to another part 22-690 as the relay to use.

Am I missing something?

ps - if I'm going to replace the flasher, I'm assuming this is it? This is the relay I earlier asked where to hang - there doesn't seem to be a hanger for it like there is for the 02 sensor. No biggie - big thing is to confirm this is the relay in question.

thanks!!

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #47
PocketRocket
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Re:Flasher Problems

Does your dash have a single turn indicator or separate left and right? If it's a single indicator you'll need to install diodes in the circuit to prevent voltage from energizing the opposite side when the signals are activated. Here's a diagram of my son's Ninja signals. He wanted me to replace the bulbs with LEDs. The first pic shows the unmodified circuit.

The flasher in the original circuit relies on the load of the signal bulbs to create heat in the flasher unit. When the bi-metal strip in the flasher gets hot, it opens the circuit, cools and closes, producing the flashing effect.

The second pic shows two diodes installed and the indicator bulb rewired to prevent left/right interaction. Also the flasher has to be replaced with an electronic type which does not rely on load to change state (flash). The signal bulbs can then be replaced with LEDs. While this isn't exactly your situation it could shed a little light on your problem. Do you have a schematic of the signal circuit? If so post it up and I can make a recommendation.

'08 KLR650 Blue KLR Club #284
'11 BMW G650 GS (wife)
'11 Ninja 250R (son)

PocketRocket screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 11:25 AM
PocketRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #48
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketRocket View Post
Does your dash have a single turn indicator or separate left and right? If it's a single indicator you'll need to install diodes in the circuit to prevent voltage from energizing the opposite side when the signals are activated. Here's a diagram of my son's Ninja signals. He wanted me to replace the bulbs with LEDs. The first pic shows the unmodified circuit.

The flasher in the original circuit relies on the load of the signal bulbs to create heat in the flasher unit. When the bi-metal strip in the flasher gets hot, it opens the circuit, cools and closes, producing the flashing effect.

The second pic shows two diodes installed and the indicator bulb rewired to prevent left/right interaction. Also the flasher has to be replaced with an electronic type which does not rely on load to change state (flash). The signal bulbs can then be replaced with LEDs. While this isn't exactly your situation it could shed a little light on your problem. Do you have a schematic of the signal circuit? If so post it up and I can make a recommendation.
Thanks for stopping by James - much appreciated.

I personally don't have a wiring diagram, but I suppose I could cobble one together. I find electrics confusing in the extreme, so I don't know how valuable what I lay out could be - but I'll look in a few days. No time to touch bike the rest of this week, alas, with other life commitments in the way.

I did search on the 690 wiki page, though, and I found these two wiring diagrams

http://ktm690.info/index.php/Electrical

Mine is the 09 Enduro R, with the small speedo, so I'm guessing it's the second of the two drawings ...

I'm extra motivated to get this finished to join you on a ride in a few weeks - here's to getting this thing solved.

Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #49
canadius_maximus OP

Success - we have turnus indicatus maximus!

OK - after reading, asking, googling, and a not a small amount of head banging - I figured "surely I'm not the only 'tard who's had to deal with bulb-to-LED signals, and not only that - surely there's products out there for this..."

So a 5 minute call to my local bike parts supplier Gnarly Parts (http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/) ... these bad boys were ordered -

... and since they're just down the Fraser Valley from me, my lovely wife picked them up the next day as part of her errands.

No sooner were kids washed, bedded, read, and kissed goodnight - it was time to attempt putting this silly issue to bed as well.

Here they are out of the packaging ....

Did a quick and dirty wire splice to test the circuit ... and presto!

Tried both sides, both work fine ... hooray!

So it was creating some nice clean terminations ....

And it looks we're good to go! Dave (Gnarly Part's owner) - you rock!

My only question is around heat. These felt noticeably warm to the touch - does this heat pose any issue? I'm looking to mount onto the fairing tower - metal hose clamps/ties of some sort ... any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

CM

Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #50
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,815
Sorry I misses this. but a better option than the resistors is an LED flasher relay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/motorcycle-led-flasher-relay
Old 02-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #51
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Sorry I misses this. but a better option than the resistors is an LED flasher relay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/motorcycle-led-flasher-relay
Thanks Pig. Better insofar as the heat issue?

Cheers,

CM

Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #52
PocketRocket
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
...My only question is around heat. These felt noticeably warm to the touch - does this heat pose any issue? I'm looking to mount onto the fairing tower - metal hose clamps/ties of some sort ... any thoughts on this?
Are the signals on all the time (ie. running lights)? If they are, don't mount the resisters near plastic parts. Otherwise, normal signal operation shouldn't get the resistors too hot to cause any concern... unless you are going around in circles all day

'11 BMW G650 GS (wife)
'11 Ninja 250R (son)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #53
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
Are the signals on all the time (ie. running lights)? If they are, don't mount the resisters near plastic parts. Otherwise, normal signal operation shouldn't get the resistors too hot to cause any concern... unless you are going around in circles all day
Thanks J,

I've paused my updates just due to crazy busy home stuff (selling house). But the project is almost done. Front lights and the fairings are now on, the project is basically done.

So no, the blinker circuit is only on during turn signal operation, so the heating will be momentary (1-2 min max, at a light, normally 3-5 seconds as part of a lane change). Sounds like this is sorted. But still appreciated the follow-up - cheers buddy.

Ironically, the last remaining wiring issue started as the easiest. I've got my GPS hardwired to ACC1, which worked fine when everything was apart. Since the GPS power lead was so long (3 ft) I decided to cut it. So after cutting and splicing back together, now it doesn't work. When I get the time to troubleshoot, I'll figure out what went wrong.

Apart from that, all that's left is

1) re-do the wiring for the rear blinkers (original owner did a bit of a ratty patch job when he replaced the rear bulb lights with LEDs.

2) re-do the between-tank plumbing. I accidentally cracked one of the ends of the plastic quick-disconnect fitting that comes with the RR kit. One of these Goodrich jobbies is on order ....

I'd like to add in some additionally shielding/standoffs from the frame to make sure there's no rub/wear, etc.

3) inspect/regrease axles/bearings.

Would like to have a good few weeks for shakedown rides in advance of the biannual DualSportBC Noob ride in late March.

Will post some pics later this week or weekend - have to paint and pretty the house up for sale first ... good news, though, is that Mrs CM is insisting the new place have at least as good a work space / storage area for my bike ...

cheers,

CM

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #54
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I've got that QD - high quality. Quite a bit heavier than the plastic one so I used some small velcro type things wrapped around the frame to secure it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #55
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I've got that QD - high quality. Quite a bit heavier than the plastic one so I used some small velcro type things wrapped around the frame to secure it.
Merci, MM - I think I find the ziptying/clamping/securing bits/wires/cables/ part of this the most satisfying. Nice to see everything snugly in place. I've developed a bit of a cable conduit fetish as a result ...

CM

Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #56
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
Merci, MM - I think I find the ziptying/clamping/securing bits/wires/cables/ part of this the most satisfying. Nice to see everything snugly in place. I've developed a bit of a cable conduit fetish as a result ...

CM
Here is the neat way that Rally Raid supports the QD fittings, make sure you use high quality zip ties, UV resistant and ideally with a metal tab.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #57
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Here is the neat way that Rally Raid supports the QD fittings, make sure you use high quality zip ties, UV resistant and ideally with a metal tab.
Dank, Lukas - between your image here and Seth's in the Evo 2 thread, these are superb images that are GREAT helps to anyone wondering about the fuel routing.

Unlike Canadian_Bacon, I did run my fuel lines on the outside, as per RR's grainy photo and yours/Seth's show. It seemed pretty obvious to me, as to avoid what CB is pointing out regarding the clearance around the shock.

Still, a simple photo like these would likely have helped him and others building this kit. It remains one of my abiding comments that the instructions on this kit - whilst likely adequate for the "rally pros", are a bit lacking for those of us mortals who are more "adventure noobs".

So kudos to you, Pig, Seth, and others who've filled the gap in superbly with photos on how to do this properly. If this build thread helps even one person on an EVO 1 project, then it's the least I can do to say thanks to all you brilliant (and generous) folks .

CM

Old 03-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #58
canadius_maximus OP

Almost done - ready for test ride

Hello!

Yes, it's taken a while - took a couple of weeks off. Put house up for sale. Painted house. Sold house. Found new house. Offer on new house. Apply for financing. You know, those small little projects that get in the way ...

So the main build is done. Having sorted the front turn signals, I took advantage of the wiring being all out to clean and tidy up the rear wiring. Electrical conduit has become my new friend ....

Found a spot where the sheathing had rubbed off on my speedo pickup cable. Fixed it up, and covered it with some more conduit ...

I had some issues with the Garmin power connector - it worked when I set up the wiring - when I buttoned it all up, it stopped. Darn near tore my hair out. The many blessings of being married to an electrician's daughter came in the form of my father-in-law coming over with his voltmeter/circuit tester - found out my wiring was fine (hard to believe ...) but somewhere along the way the cigarette lighter male plug had gone bad.

Order a another brand new $20 GPS cord from Garmin? No way! I paid too much for all this stuff as it is! . So I rooted around the garage - found an old air mattress pump - cut the outlet - and got it done!

Here's a shot of the GPS mount I took earlier in the build ...

Notice the edging/trim on the top ... from RR they come a bit rough, and figured the trim would both make it a bit safer, and protect the sharp edge from abuse - and from potentially cutting me in an off. Painted up the inside with some Tremclad ...

Took the front and rear wheels off. Cleaned out the spacers and regreased the axels ...

Man, is putting the rear back on a pain in the pants. Hope if I ever need to in the bush, I'm with a buddy to help! .

Had gotten a TT rack and Acerbis tail bag for Christmas - put the rack on and did the best I could with the bag. I then added the OEM handles back on.

They have a decidedly agrarian look to them that kind of spoils the looks of the rear end - but I figure the tradeoff in functionality (ie, haulin' the bike back up) when the inevitable spills occur will be worth it ...

Adventure-Spec case covers came today - RVT'ed them on - look pretty swanky - and most of all, give those cases some protection.

Tricked out the inter-tank plumbing with a shiny new steel Goodrich quick-release fitting to replace the RR-supplied one I broke, and to add some protection to the fuel lines, I added some ... of course, you guessed it ... conduit!

Buttoned up and back in the lock - one step closer to a post-build test ride. That won't be for a couple of days - grrr - can't wait for the snow/slush to clear.

Reflecting on the build, I have enjoyed it the most in what I've learned about working with the bike. Paradoxically, the areas I was most anxious about went the smoothest (fuel pump refit, etc.). What I thought would be easiest - the fairing bits - were hands more frustrating.

The metallic parts were absolutely superb. They were a joy to work with, and were to the quality level I expected in this grade of product.

Would I do it all over again? Yes, as my first such kit, I probably would - though I'd likely go for the EVO 2. .

Still - all in all - a good learning experience - and I look forward to some exciting trail rides this season, starting with the annual DSBC spring ride in 3 weeks.

Will post up some riding pics when I hit the trail (as it were!) soon.

Cheers,

CM

PS: Still awaiting parts: new Cleanspeed brake pedal from MotoMachines and Double-take Mirrors. Sprocket cover also en route ... Small stuff .... not going to hold up the test ride any longer!

canadius_maximus screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 08:20 AM
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #59
PocketRocket
n00b

Nicely Done!!

That's quite an accomplishment. You've got a mean looking dirt machine there. I think you've prepped it well and you should have no worries about going deep into the rough.... and getting back out!

See you at the DSBC Spring Newbie Ride!

Cheers

'11 BMW G650 GS (wife)
'11 Ninja 250R (son)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #60
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
That's quite an accomplishment. You've got a mean looking dirt machine there. I think you've prepped it well and you should have no worries about going deep into the rough.... and getting back out!

See you at the DSBC Spring Newbie Ride!

Cheers
Thanks J!

The bike has lots more capability than I have ability, that's for sure. Planning some rides down into the US also, so the combination of bike and extras should give me some great riding for a good few year, for sure.

Looking forward to meeting up with you at the DSBC ride too. I'm hoping my wife can switch her shift that Sunday with another nurse - that's all that's keeping me from the ride. She's trying hard - so it hopefully will all come together.

Was torture pulling out of the garage today not being able to ride it - but I have to pick up kids after school.... maybe I should build up one of these ...

Test ride is tomorrow, rain or shine.

CM