User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Honda SH150i

So I just got one a few weeks ago and am waiting for the DMV papers to clear before I really take it out.

This will be my log of this fantastic scooter. I always wanted one when it was imported to the US but the price was just too much, that Euro exchange rate just killed us.

My new to me 2010 SH150i has over 3k miles. I've only put on 112miles so far. So I'll give my initial impressions.

The fit and finish is great just like any honda bike. It has an easy to do maintenance lid at the floor board/seat for easy access to the spark plug and valves. Not much of a under seat storage, can only hold a half helmet. But if you get the top box it can hold a full face. What I like about the honda top box is that it is integrated into the rear rack, meaning you don't have to have any extra mounting hardware, just clip/hook it on and you are good to go. What honda should of done was put the gas tank in the floor board instead of under the seat. This would have made the under seat storage larger and also lower the center of gravity. The battery is in the floor board. It doesn't have a theft resistence cover on the ignition like the NHX110. Physically it is large and very tall, so one might not want to park it at the bicycle rack. The US 2010 model is actually the European 2009 model.

Technology wise it has everything you can think of FI wise. It is missing one thing, the rocker arm is a sliding type instead of a roller rocker arm like in the NHX110. Being 11:1 compression ratio it doesn't have a decompressor like the NHX110. The radiator being up front instead of side mounted on the motor to the crank, I think frees up some HP. I also like that this make it have extra coolant, but don't like all the extra hoses/complexity.

The ride is very smooth. The exhaust noise is louder then the NHX110, and I can hear backfire when coming to a stop from WOT. The large wheels rides so smooth even with limited suspension travel. It is very tall, higher center of gravity and a very upright riding position. I normally slouch when riding but with this bike it makes me sit very upright. The fit is for a taller person, I'm about 5'6" and it feels a little big/tall for me. The floor board to seat hight makes my upper leg not be parallel with the ground, have a downward angle. This bike would fit someone 5'10" better I think. Power is plentiful, top out so far is 66mph on the flats but isn't consistent. 60mph is normal and above that it has a harder time.

Overall I think this is the best 150cc class scooter on the market...any market. If you already have one keep it if you are considering selling. If you don't have one, get one if the opportunity arises. I'm not gonna use this as a commuter because I have a NHX110 with a massive under seat storage. This will be my fun scoot. I have videos up for this on my youtube channel, link in my signature.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 11:36 AM
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
So I just got one a few weeks ago and am waiting for the DMV papers to clear before I really take it out.

This will be my log of this fantastic scooter. I always wanted one when it was imported to the US but the price was just too much, that exchange rate just killed us.

My new to me 2010 SH150i has over 3k miles. I've only put on 112miles so far. So I'll give my initial impressions.

The fit and finish is great just like any honda bike. It has an easy to do maintenance lid at the floor board/seat for easy access to the spark plug and valves. Not much of a under seat storage, can only hold a half helmet. But if you get the top box it can hold a full face. What I like about the honda top box is that it is integrated into the rear rack, meaning you don't have to have any extra mounting hardware, just clip/hook it on and you are good to go. What honda should of done was put the gas tank in the floor board instead of under the seat. This would have made the under seat storage larger and also lower the center of gravity. The battery is in the floor board. It doesn't have a theft resistence cover on the ignition like the NHX110. Physically it is large and very tall, so one might not want to park it at the bicycle rack. The US 2010 model is actually the European 2009 model.

Technology wise it has everything you can think of FI wise. It is missing one thing, the rocker arm is a sliding type instead of a roller rocker arm like in the NHX110. Being 11:1 compression ratio it doesn't have a decompressor like the NHX110. The radiator being up front instead of side mounted on the motor to the crank, I think frees up some HP. I also like that this make it have extra coolant, but don't like all the extra hoses/complexity.

The ride is very smooth. The exhaust noise is louder then the NHX110, and I can hear backfire when coming to a stop from WOT. The large wheels rides so smooth even with limited suspension travel. It is very tall, higher center of gravity and a very upright riding position. I normally slouch when riding but with this bike it makes me sit very upright. The fit is for a taller person, I'm about 5'6" and it feels a little big/tall for me. The floor board to seat hight makes my upper leg not be parallel with the ground, have a downward angle. This bike would fit someone 5'10" better I think. Power is plentiful, top out so far is 66mph on the flats but isn't consistent. 60mph is normal and above that it has a harder time.

Overall I think this is the best 150cc class scooter on the market...any market. If you already have one keep it if you are considering selling. If you don't have one, get one if the opportunity arises. I'm not gonna use this as a commuter because I have a NHX110 with a massive under seat storage. This will be my fun scoot. I have videos up for this on my youtube channel, link in my signature.
These really are great scooters. Perhaps best in class but it came in at a price during economic hard times and the SH150i was pretty much still born in the US Market when released.

I wanted one new but it was just to much of a reach when available and the supply dried up before I had a chance. I almost did it when they started doing deep discounts but waited to long. Last year however I picked up a used one with 3K miles for a lot less then new. Cosmetically used but nothing serious with maintenance records.

Other then perhaps lack of storage its really one of my best scooters. Runs really strong for a 150. If I had to guess what size I would say 175 to 200cc's since it runs that strong. It can keep up with my Sport City 250 in everything but absolute top speed runs and only then the SC250 pulls ahead only slightly. Perhaps a the SC250 has more reserve power on hills and pulls ahead faster at speeds above 45mph. Only real difference day to day is the SH150i seems a lot busier then the SC250 but it takes it in stride.

Its also worth mentioning that these are actually made in Italy and not Asia. Probably one of the reasons why it was so expensive. That and back then Honda missed the mark on a lot of motorcycles.

I am not planning on parting with mine and I have complete confidence it will out last me.

Also have an Elite 110 (well my wife's). Also an excellent scooter with class leading storage under the seat. A strong runner it is but it can't keep up with the SH150i obviously. I plan on keeping the Elite 110 forever as well!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
It appears from a quick look at SearchTempest that the SH150i's are still showing asking prices of $3,000-3,500 (a few falling above and below that of course). That's a lot of coin for a used 150.

I always hoped the SH300 would have come to the US, as they sounded incredible, but alas the pricing would have no doubt killed it as well..

I sat on the 150 at a motorcycle show once and thought it was about the most comfortable riding position of anything I'd seen to date.

Will be interested in your ride reports and ongoing experience with it.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I wanted an SH150i too, but I just couldn't justify the $4495 price tag for a 150cc scooter, even a Honda.

So I bought a SYM HD200 EVO instead for $3395. From your first impressions the SH150i sounds very similar. The HD200 has a bit more top end reaching a consistent 75 mph. But the tall stature, 16" wheels, high center of gravity, weight and seating position sounds exactly as you described on the SH150i.

The HD200 was a great ride, but I've moved on to something else.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Giddy Goanna
Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer: 187
Rode one for about 5000km till it was stolen, joyridden and left in a heap of molten plastic and ash.

Bought it as a demo 'cause $5600 AUD was too rich for a 150cc scoot.

Was extremely impressed with it's efficiency and use of technology.

Expected a more supple ride with the 16 inch rolling stock, but the rear suspension was very firm and slappy on uneven bitumen.

It was very deficient on character, no real joy in it's operation.
I have infinitely more fun commuting on my '86 Honda Lead 80 (NH80).
Even though it is seriously under powered and suspended, it requires next to nil maintenance. Two stroke and air cooled, reminds me of my childhood (Dad leaving for work in the morning). I'll enjoy this until I buy a FI SuperCub or jump straight to an electric commuter. Cheers.
Giddy Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
pics pics!!!

you know scooter do great on the outdoors!

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 12-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Jerry_R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I used to ride both - Honda SH150i (ABS) and Yamaha XENTER 150i. They both are friendly scooters, I personally preferred Xenter due to softer suspension (pain in the back when riding SH). Also, possibility of sitting further back (less high pillion) if wanted and possibility of moving feet from side to center - allowed me to ride XENTER for longer time without pain, incl. legs. Additionally it was easier to place a backpack on the floor due to lack of central column. Plus traffic filtering: SH width is 74cm, XENTER width is only 69cm.

Anyway, both are great machines and have their advantages and disadvantages.
Some more reading:

HONDA SH150i ABS:
http://www.moto-choice.com/en/Bike-R...n-pursuit.html

YAMAHA XENTER 150i:
http://www.moto-choice.com/en/Bike-R...erb-rides.html
Jerry_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
lazyguy
Lawrence of Schnecksvilla

Oddometer: 51
I liked the looks of them when they first came out also but really had no use for one as i had a couple of bikes already. Well i still have a couple of bikes and now a couple scooters also. Had a friend let me know about a little Honda 50 ES for sell back in March i got cheap and drove around my little town for all my errands what a blast! Now if i could only get a deal on one of those SH150is i kept thinking. Searching CL i found one back in Aug. 75mi away with only 1500 miles on it like new. Called the guy and made the deal on the phone and picked up the bike the next day! Found out then it had a extended warranty till 6/15, and a new battery yea.
Now with winter here i haven't rode it in about a month i really miss it. Had the KLR out today but its not the same as a scooter. I put over 2300 miles on the SH in the first 4 months i owned it and i will say its a lot of fun. I'm getting 85 mpg avg. mainly on back country roads 45-50 mph although I take it anywhere highways included.
I want to do the PCH this summer which I'll most likely take my v-strom but wouldn't that be a blast to go cross country on a scooter and do the PCH. any takers?
I'll be keeping this one forever as I hope to retire somewhere warm and flat where it will be right at home, in the mean time Im gonna ride the shit out of it.
lazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
It appears from a quick look at SearchTempest that the SH150i's are still showing asking prices of $3,000-3,500 (a few falling above and below that of course). That's a lot of coin for a used 150. t.
Try the Keeway Outlook, same engine, very similar layout, and about $1500 used. Carbureted, not fuel injected.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
Try the Keeway Outlook, same engine, very similar layout, and about $1500 used. Carbureted, not fuel injected.
No it is not the same engine, looks similar doesn't mean it is the same. Just cause one makes an inline 4 doesn't mean another's inline 4 is the same. Same configuration with similar characteristics but that is about it.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
No it is not the same engine, looks similar doesn't mean it is the same. Just cause one makes an inline 4 doesn't mean another's inline 4 is the same. Same configuration with similar characteristics but that is about it.
Agree. Different bore, different stroke, different capacity.

An interesting clone.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Yes, it is the same motor. If you go to Malossi.com and look at engine parts for your bike, like cylinder kits and camshafts, you will see that they do indeed fit both bikes. Interchangable parts is a sign that the engines are probably alike, because the cylinder for a PCX150 wont fit, nor will the cylinder for a Vespa or Yamaha. As do transmission parts like variators. And on Italian forums they discuss the Keeway Outlook as an inexpensive alternative to the Honda SH 150.
I'll make it easy, since you still haven't found the Honda service manual or parts fiche for the GY6 engine. Here are some links to some major engine parts and brakes that are interchangeable on both bikes, but not other bikes with same configuration and similar characteristics made by Honda, Yamaha or Piaggio.

http://www.malossistore.us/en/produc...G=G.TER&Type=M
http://www.malossistore.us/en/produc...G=ALB.M&Type=M
http://www.malossistore.us/en/produc...G=MARMI&Type=M
http://www.malossistore.us/en/produc...G=TRASM&Type=M
http://www.malossistore.us/en/produc...G=FRENI&Type=M

Motovista screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 07:41 AM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=scooterpartsco;23115938]Yes, it is the same motor. If you go to Malossi.com and look at engine parts for your bike, like cylinder kits and camshafts, you will see that they do indeed fit both bikes. Interchangable parts is a sign that the engines are probably alike, because the cylinder for a PCX150 wont fit, nor will the cylinder for a Vespa or Yamaha. As do transmission parts like variators. And on Italian forums they discuss the Keeway Outlook as an inexpensive alternative to the Honda SH 150.
I'll make it easy, since you still haven't found the Honda service manual or parts fiche for the GY6 engine. Here are some links to some major engine parts and brakes that are interchangeable on both bikes, but not other bikes with same configuration and similar characteristics made by Honda, Yamaha or Piaggio.

I once put in an BBR BBK crf50 sleeve and piston on a clone pit bike and it fit just fine and ran great too but didn't mean that it was the same motor...I tried to put put in an actual Honda Cam but the head was completely different from an actual honda so that didn't work. Any ways just cause it is a "clone" doesn't mean it is identical. If that sh150 clone engine is the same then put some miles on it with no problems..let say 50K miles and you can come back to me and tell me it is the same thing and I'll believe you. As I said before just cause one motor has the same configuration and near identical does not mean it is equal or same motor.

Anyways if you want to further this discussion start up another post cause I don't want to go off topic anymore and muck up this thread on the Honda SH150i.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Any ways just cause it is a "clone" doesn't mean it is identical. If that sh150 clone engine is the same then put some miles on it with no problems..let say 50K miles and you can come back to me and tell me it is the same thing and I'll believe you. As I said before just cause one motor has the same configuration and near identical does not mean it is equal or same motor..
But in this case, it is, and there are plenty of them with well over 50K miles on them. And it's not a clone, any more than the Piaggio or Peugeot products with Honda designed engines are clones. QJ is an OEM supplier to Honda, so the odds are that you do have some of their parts in your bike.
I don't need to buy one and ride it 50,000 miles for what I am saying to be true. Italy, where your bike was made, is full of information about various scooters from people who use them as daily drivers. There are a lot of forums in Italy where you can find out a lot more about the bike you ride than you will pretty much anywhere else. The SH150 is the most popular Scooter model in Italy, where they have been selling them since 2001. What you are doing is making statements without knowing if they are true or not, for reasons that aren't clear. I made the original comment to someone who mentioned liking the SH150 but thinking they are too expensive, and the prolongation of this aspect of the thread has been because you keep saying things that aren't true.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 91
Hey DBC, congrats with a new scooter.
You did move on to something bigger after all. I guess everybody follows that trend after they start with a Metro. :)

I was thinking about a bigger bike too, but it could be a dual sport, so I can go on dirt roads and into the mountains with it. Something small - Honda 250 or Yamaha tw200 or some such small bike.

My Elite 110 has 8500 miles right now and im still on everything original including the rear tire (except air filer, fluids, and spark plug).

Are you still intending to put 50000 miles on the Elite?
Would take you a while at this rate.

How much did you pay for SH150? Are you planning any long rides on it?

Come down to LA and I'll treat you some local food and beer if you drink. :)

Hey, you start servicing it right away. In no time it will be ready to be ridden to Alaska or Argentina!
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote