ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #31
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Scored a job as a choker setter working for a local logging outfit just up the road. Fired after one day. Didn't even make enough to cover the cost of my caulk boots.
Steep ain't it!
I signed on with Edward Hines Lumber Co. in 1967, high lead show, 2" mainline,,bigass chokers 30 ft. long, and all kinked, twisted, coily, and jaggered up the full freeking length.
All of the guys on the sidehill were built like rabbits,,short height, huge jumping thighs!,, big tall skinny dumbasses like me, were the first to go from rocks or stumps rolling downhill during the yarding operation,I almost died one morning, then fire season shut us down,, I was never so happy to lose a job!,
,I had a background in mobile equipment logging, and went back to a rubber tired skidder,, choker setter is the hardest work there is,,and some of the most dangerous,,if you don't know, or have a mentor,,,and the trial and error way to know is not a good method of learning.
Planting trees will work you almost as hard, but with none of the dangers of imminent death if you fuck up,,of course,,pay is commensurate.
You wanna make big money fast,with no labor involved, rob a likker store,,,
I'll support you in your decision and come to see you on visiting days,,
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #32
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,096
I just can't wrap my head around it. I went into it as honest as I could. I told them I'd never done it before, but I'd put my all into it. I bought caulk boots and hiked till the skin on my heels fell off, and it wasn't good enough. My first fucking day. You'd think there would be some sort of "New guy" buffer. Didn't help that I had next to no guidance. I'd get in the action and ask them "Which ones?". It was a tricky site, too. Not DOWN a hill, but alongside one, so there was an art to choosing the right line. The fuckers KNEW I had to beg, borrow, and steal for those boots. They couldn't even let me put a second day in to pay them off.

I'm beyond pissed. This has been a hell of a couple of months, and if it weren't for my respect and appreciation for DaFoole, I'd have moved on already.

Where the fuck IS the money in this goddamn town? Even the minimum wage job I interviewed for never got back to me.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #33
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,018
Damn Parepin, I was hoping Oregon would be more lucky for you. That's a great area down there, and knew good jobs were hard to find, but not finding any job sucks worse. Hang in there buddy, something will turn up.

Yeah, the logging companies don't seem too HR oriented. You'd think if they took the trouble to hire a guy, they'd give him a little guidance so they could both be successful. FWIW - The few loggers I know were pricks, probably comes from working a tough job, with inconsistient paychecks. On the other hand they were pretty good hunters.

I don't know too many people down in that area, but did put out a few feelers. Any other ADV'rs with any contacts down in that area, ask them if they know of any jobs - lets get him workin.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #34
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,983
I never heard back from those guys with the inside; here's your cold call stuff I did get though, HTH

Rick with WH Pacific Survey gave me the number for Sauce Bros Barge; in Myrtle Point. Talk to Fred Simmons, 541 572 nineteen nineteen
Edit: dude, websearch pops up with a bunch of "ferry your stuff to Hawaii" hits
and try 4rivers Survey in Imna ID- they are working on a pipeline project out that way, 208 369 seventyeightninety

got a fire pit yet?

tblume screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:21 PM
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #35
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
I never heard back from those guys with the inside; here's your cold call stuff I did get though, HTH

Rick with WH Pacific Survey gave me the number for Sauce Bros Barge; in Myrtle Point. Talk to Fred Simmons, 541 572 nineteen nineteen
and try 4rivers Survey in Imna ID- they are working on a pipeline project out that way, 208 369 seventyeightninety

got a fire pit yet?

Awesome. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Had an interview today, and spoke with a local mill, but not much has come up. An auto shop needs help, but that's a good 35 mile commute for minimum wage, no full time guarantee. But it's something, I suppose.

Firepit? Yeah, there's a couch in it. Just waiting for the match.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #36
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,018
I'll be heading that way down to Brookings for that April Fools Campout ride, can I buy you a beer on the way through? Or better yet convince you to head down to Brookings - if you're free and able?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942322

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #37
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post

got a fire pit yet?
Parepin, If you can land a survey job, it's a skill you take anywhere. It's good work.
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #38
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I'll be heading that way down to Brookings for that April Fools Campout ride, can I buy you a beer on the way through? Or better yet convince you to head down to Brookings - if you're free and able?

Sounds like a plan. I'd love to make it down to April Fools, but at this point I hesitate to make any plans. If I make it, it'll be on short notice, true to my nature. You're more than welcome to stop out either way, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerron View Post
Parepin, If you can land a survey job, it's a skill you take anywhere. It's good work.
I'm gonna try, man. I'm aiming for a career over a job, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #39
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post

To bad this event couldn't have been "Party at Da'Fool's Placel"

Might be time for another "Fund Raiser on the Farm" (aka raindogs bday bash)

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #40
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
To bad this event couldn't have been "Party at Da'Fool's Placel"

Might be time for another "Fund Raiser on the Farm" (aka raindogs bday bash)
DaFoole and I have plans on getting SOMETHING going this summer. Not nearly as organized as some of the yearly rides and rallies, but something none the less. It'll probably be more like a "Week/weekend of X. Come as your are, free of charge. Animals will be cooked." I've been scouting out rides, and have some gems bookmarked. Waterfalls, single track, closed roads, etc. The world's second tallest tree is right around the corner, and that alone's a good hike. I've just gotta get my head outta my ass long enough to appreciate the view.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #41
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,333
it's a tough place to live bro,,always has been,,boom and heyday with the big trees was winding down long ago.
Coos Bay was at one time the largest exporter of logs in the world!
Bye bye jobs!
You cut the big trees and make the big money, then,,wait for ?????,,how long did it take for them big trees to grow?? who cares!,, we got ours!

I have : cleared brush by hand and machine,
,planted trees,
cut down trees,
set chokers on trees,
built fire trails around treeless logged scabs on the hillside,
then,

most of my machinist/welding exist-trance is based in wood products industry,,after 16 years here,, I am nearly as slow as I was when I started out,,it ain't you,,it's the sucky fucks you want to blame,,any frikken bunch of them.
what you don't see,, because you don't have the history,, is the changes in the creeks and rivers since the trees lived there. It was HUGELY different in 1960's even,,de-nuded, raped, and abandoned since then,,Whorehauser,,International Raper, and the rest, made it .
When I was 10,,there were cedar trees in the coast range so big that they were almost scary,,,to a 10 yr old!
this is one of the hunfreds of stupid responses I have frikken deleted,,more killed than posted,, fuck it, post it,,only one beer left anyway!
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #42
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
We have two areas very near us that still have what appears to be old growth stands, that are currently officially unprotected. It would also appear that somebody that makes decisions in the FS knows this, because there has been lots of logging smack up next to the big area on second growth stuff. When I checked online, I was relieved to see these sections were not part of any current lumber sale.

They are small sections, probly too small to justify "wilderness" classification, but it would be nice to know they could never be cut by an agency that needs $. I'm certainly not at all against logging done right, but I sure hope these small stands of OG are here forever. Damn beautiful trees. The biggest one is accessible to view from one of our many one-lane sweet forest pavers.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #43
BlueSmokeWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I have LOTS of relatives within 20 miles of you. All of them are retired. I would live in the area in a nanosecond... If I could make a living.

Seems like down there, (been going several times a year for about 20 years) the only folks who seem to get by well are working for the government in some capacity.

Schools, forestry with the US govt. county and city. And my brother found enough money with a waste mgmt. company to make do.

I feel for you on the job front.

Next time I'm in town (Myrtle Point) a night of debauchery is on me. I'll PM you before my next trip.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #44
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Sounds like I picked up a gig working at an auto shop between Coos Bay and North Bend. 70 mile round trip commute, but it's something goddamnit. I don't start for another week, so I'm still going to keep my ear to the rail, but I don't expect to hear anything else coming.

Nice weather we're having today, eh?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #45
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
DaFoole and I have plans on getting SOMETHING going this summer. Not nearly as organized as some of the yearly rides and rallies, but something none the less. It'll probably be more like a "Week/weekend of X. Come as your are, free of charge. Animals will be cooked." I've been scouting out rides, and have some gems bookmarked. Waterfalls, single track, closed roads, etc. The world's second tallest tree is right around the corner, and that alone's a good hike. I've just gotta get my head outta my ass long enough to appreciate the view.

Date TBD....work schedule blows right now... Hopefully June/July-ish Might be as late as September. Wrangling some days off....

(Just don't tell Peterman and Road Rash.......)