User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
AGM replacement for Yuasa YB9-B?

My Piaggio Typhoon 125 and Aprilia Sportcity 125 both came with the Yuasa YB9-B standard lead acid bath battery. I am sure this battery is used in several Piaggio scooters.

These sort of batteries work but are very old school. They tend to vent causing corrosion and sometimes the vent hoses come loose and drip battery acid causing severe corrosion around the frame. Some reason they tend to cause a lot of corrosion around the battery terminals as well. You also must pull them out every so often and inspect the acid level and add distilled water on occasion. In most cases even with proper care they tend to fail after only few years. Some get lucky and get 4 or 5 years but that is seldom the norm.

I have bought other bikes with this style of battery and usually live with them for while but at some point I will replace them with an AGM battery witch I am now thinking about doing on these scooters. AGM batteries hold a charge much better and with a little tendered care will usually last a long time. Also you don't have venting or corrosion issues. Frankly I am surprised these days that the EPA even allows these old school batteries. They can be a real mess!

I like and have good luck with Yuasa batteries. Deka is pretty good as well in rare cases I can't find a Yuasa version. I thought for sure Yuasa would have a direct AGM replacment for the YB9-B but it looks like they actually don't. Every Yuasa I compare with is either to big or to small. Not sure how much room I have to play with in the battery box but its not much. The battery cover keeps the battery stable so not a lot of breathing room. Even my battery tender cable created some challenges!

The only direct replacement I can find is the Scorpion YT9A. Some love out there for Scorpion batteries but a lot of hate as well.

For those with Piaggio scooters that use the YB9-B battery did you find a direct AGM replacement?
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
wally world has AGM batteries for the lowest cost I can find, Just match up the size and you are good
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
wally world has AGM batteries for the lowest cost I can find, Just match up the size and you are good

That might be what I will have to do.

Also looks like Interstate made one that was a direct replacement but its no longer available. Probably why I can't find the Yuasa version as Yuasa makes most if not all Interstate motorcycle batteries.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well that did not take long......

Last time I had ridden my Typhoon 125 was at the beginning of December. At that point it fired right up no problem. Since the beginning of December I have charged it twice a week on the battery tender for an hour or two each time.

Tonight we had a break in the weather and it was a rather mild 44F so I pulled my Typhoon 125 out for a spin. Went to crank it over and all was well for about a second and then the battery shorted out. The starter will barely turn over all lighting is very dim. I plugged the charger in and it reached full charge in about 5 minutes but the same thing happened again. Checking the battery I get 11.4 volts. So obviously a shorted cell in the battery.

Since the scooter is still under full warranty and the stock battery is only 4 months old I could probably raise a stink and get it replaced but these types of batteries are such crap I will just go ahead and replace it.

Thinking about trying the Scorpion since its the only direct AGM replacement I can find. Even Wal Mart did not seem to have one that was an exact fit. I am sure a few of them could be made to fit but my Wal Mart did not have any when I was there just a few days ago.

Darn I was actually just thinking of waiting it out and taking care of them. I thought maybe I could get at least 2 or 3 years out of them but I guess not. I plan to order 2 and replace the one in my SportCity 125 as well. I expect that one to fail anytime as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
doesn't have to be an exact fit. As long as it has just about the same amp/hour
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 498
Motobatt MB9U. Great battery, 2 year warranty.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
Motobatt MB9U. Great battery, 2 year warranty.
These are supposed to be a great battery from what I hear. Some reports out there saying they are not an exact fit and have caused some install drama for some people but then some have said they are in fact an exact fit. This made me cautious because the battery box does not have much room on the Typhoon 125 and Sport City 125 without modification.

Anyways I ordered the Scorpion's on the evening of 12/30. Hopefully they arrive in a few days so I can test them out. If the Scorpions end up not lasting long then Motobatt will be my next choice. Again I am really surprised Yuasa does not make an OEM AGM replacement but they just don't so I am forced to try other brands.

Yesterday I jump started the Typhoon 125 using the good battery in the Sport City 125. It fired right up wit authority and ran just fine. However it would not restart on its own. Same odd thing. Good power for about a half second then it seems everything drops by 50%. Pulled the battery and water level looks good. Charged it back up on the bench and got a good 13.4 volts. It held for 15 minutes so I installed it back in the bike. Again I get good power for a half second and then it drops by 50% like a light switch. Under load the battery only puts out 5.6 volts and after one shot settles back down to 11.3 volts.

Just a bad battery I guess!

Likely caused by improper prep at the selling dealer is my thinking. If it was already an AGM style battery I would have raised a stink but these older flooded led acid batteries are kind of a nightmare and junk anyway so I will just replace them. Actually if properly prepped and built battery and well cared for these types of batteries can hold up well but I don't think they can match the AGM batteries in ease of use and reliability. It was not that long ago that all motorcycles had this style of battery and cars as well. I think AGM's started getting popular in new bikes in the mid to late 90's but some older designs still in production still used them. My C10 Concours, KLR650 and Ninja 500 had them as OEM. I replaced them with AGM batteries when new back in 2006 and they are still working great today. I just recently replaced the original batteries in my 2003 SV1000's. Not because the batteries failed but because they were 10 years old. I figured time was running short and it was making me nervous so I replaced them. Some have gotten 12 years on AGM batteries though so maybe not.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got these batteries in yesterday. These Scorpion batteries come factory prepped so no necessary prepping before installing. I did test them before install and let them run all night on the battery tender. It took about 10 minutes to reach 80% capacity and another 10 hours to reach fully charged. Its obvious these sit in the box for a while but since they are not hooked up they don't really discharge much so they say. As for longevity I have not observed any difference between factory prepped and ones you prep yourself. I do actually prefer to prep them myself that way day 1 starts the day I decide and not the factory.

Its really hard to get excited about a battery. However the fit and finish on the Scorpion batteries is actually not half bad. They look pretty darn similar to a factory prepared Yuasa.

This morning I installed them in my Typhoon 125 and SportCity 125. I can't believe the mess the factory Yuasa already made on the Typhoon 125. The drain hose for the battery already popped off and I had some evidence of leakage in the battery tray. Luckily it was just plastic it leaked on. I also noticed some venting out of the fill caps and corrosion already forming on the terminals. I just hate these old school batteries worth a passion. The size of the Scorpion battery is an exact match so no issues fitting the battery whatsoever. Only minor issue is the terminals on the Scorpion battery are located slightly further in making it a bit of a challenge getting the cables hooked up along with the battery tender cables. In order for it to work I had to recycle the screws and bolts from the OEM battery since they were longer and I had to slightly bend the negative metal hook up plate on the cable to get it to fit. Really it just bent into place more then anything as I tightened down the clamps.

I took the Typhoon 125 around the block but that is all I did since its was a pretty chilly and icy morning. It started super fast and ran just fine. When I got back I plugged the tender in and it was instantly greater then 80% and reached full charge after about 1 minute. So it appears the new battery works as good as any. I have not tried the SportCity 125 yet but I expect the same results.

I am slightly concerned about the battery failure on the Typhoon 125. It had a fair amount of venting out of the battery caps compared to the SportCity 125 and they are within about 25 miles of one another in use. I am a little concerned that the charging system (mainly the voltage regulator) may be defective and that is the cause of the failure. I ordered a neat little tool that will plug into the battery tender cable and allow me to easily test the charging system voltage. That is coming in tomorrow. I am still thinking it was most likely just a garbage battery though. I just want to check it just in case before I fry another battery.

Overall it looks like the Scorpion is a worthy replacement. Now we will just have to see if it passes the test of time. For a well cared for AGM battery I expect a minimum of 4 years in my environment and 7 to 10 years is not out of the question but not exactly expected.