User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
revtech100 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Ural tools

Any recommendations for tools to add to the standard Ural set?
2011 Kawasaki 110, 2013 Ural Gear Up
revtech100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,397
Bfh

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
A second 17mm spanner is needed to loosen pinch bolts on both front and rear axles. And a hammer.
UralNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
Bfh

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Extras

I've also got extra bits like spare tube and tyre levers (for front flat) cable ties, tape, wire etc. I always think the more bits you carry the better. Sods law says you wont need it yourself, but you can maybe help someone else, and that builds up some protective Karma!!! (I like to dream, and it is Christmas!)

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
A small socket set (1/4 drive) with a couple short to medium extensions, and a set of open-end, box-ended wrenches in a tool roll of your bike's common sizes make most roadside repair disasters better. A mid size crescent wrench not a bad idea either. Hockey stick or baseball bat tape works better than electrical tape in my book, especially for electrical temp-repairs. Some wire and JB (fast) weld wont hurt.

I like the Karma comment as well, I gave a guy some blue Loctite once, he was loosing his shifter. I had good riding after that.... no breakdowns!
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
rg, sw wa.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
A “VOM” from Harbor Freight, (pack one on each of your bikes), the smallest scissor jack you can find, a couple of good tie downs (I like Ancra tie downs),
small air pump, (Slime makes a nice small one), extra fuses,

It’s early an only had a half a cup of coffee. After my second cup I will come up with a few other things ?

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
rg, sw wa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Here is my 2 cents for whatever they are worth...

Whenever I take off for an extended adventure (no matter what the mc is) I take 4 "kits" with me:

-Standard Tool Kit that came from manufacturer (when they do supply it... My '06 Triumph Scrambler came with a very basic kit: 1 allen wrench!)

-Augmented Standard Tool Kit which is basically my way to implement the standard kit with ratchet wrenches/bits, fixed wrenches (for those jobs that require 2 wrenches when the standard kit only supplies one, like UralNorm pointed out), 2 adjustable wrenches (medium/small), rubber mallet

-Tire Kit that contains a set of tools/supplies I like to have ready to go should I need to fix a flat on the side of the road

-Spares Kit where I pack assorted bits needed to get going again like fuses, spare bulbs, a carb rebuild kit (if the bike is carbed), assorted connectors, fastners, clamps, oil and fuel filters, fuel line, tape... basically anything that your own mc has taught you she might need. An old school Triumph has different needs than, let's just say, a UJM.

The interesting aspect of a rig is that you have extra space and the extra weight can actually be your friend acting as ballast on a solo trip. Once I split in an old VW bus with my 3 dogs on a trip to nowhere that snowballed into 7 years off the grid which then led to 4 more on a bicycle in Mexico and Central America once the old dogs had all passed on, but I digress... Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that there are similarities with a Ural rig and a VW bus: with both you can be totally self contained in terms of equipment, both need to be driven within their limitations, both can be fairly easy to diagnose and fix even in low-tech countries/situations, both "force" you to slow down a little, not only interms of driving speed, but also in terms of velocity of life. Both trigger positive reactions in the general public. You can stroll around the world, knowing that you are completely self contained and when a small problems arises, you simply pull over, relax, take in the scenery and proceed to address it. Often, this leads to great encounters, fun and or aggravating times and, generally, it makes the trip more memorable...
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Great post davide
I like the line "can usually be repaired with items found in the average kitchen drawer" (though I think they were talking about old British bikes).
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
out rider
Nearing the end

Oddometer: 596
Cell phone and a buddy with a large trailer.
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
revtech100 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by out rider View Post
Cell phone and a buddy with a large trailer.
Damn! Got the buddy with the trailer, but no cell coverage in 98% of the areas I'll be riding in.....maybe I can get a sat phone.
2011 Kawasaki 110, 2013 Ural Gear Up
revtech100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,397
I recently narrowed it down to this

jack, tire spoons and some other bits not pictured.

what I took out

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Is this the VOM??

http://m.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-hal...ack-66907.html

I have one from a small Toyota in the Ural but I am looking for a Porsche one to get in the HD: so light, cute and... Expensive!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
Standard Russian Iron Toolkit:

1.) Big Hammer
2.) Small Hammer
3.) Spare Hammer
4.) Vodka

A VOM is a Volt-Ohm Meter. Get a small cheap digital one and you're OK. Analog meters can be hard to read. Mostly you'll be checking for voltage and continuity. If you're creative then you can do this with a chunk of wire and a light bulb.

The stuff listed above is good, but I would tend to go for tools with multiple bits, etc to keep down on size & weight. I also take a electric air-pump. A friend had his Ural pump fail on him. Also spare tubes and patches is good too. Also tubes of Loctite, JB Weld, and glue are handy to have, as well as the obvious electrical and duct tape. Also I carry a USB memory stick with the service manual on it, and any other information on the bike such as part numbers, in PDF format. I also keep this information on my iPad as well.

So far reverse voodoo has worked for me.

Mike

teamgrizzly screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 12:13 PM
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
The stock kit actually works pretty well for most maint/servicing chores. I also carry a 3/8 drive set and a set of ratcheting box end combo wrenches. Not needed but convenient for me. The stock tools aren't snap-on quality but adequate. The only really junk parts of the kit I replaced were the allen wrenches. They're horrible. Lotsa tools in addition to the kit make life easier but not absolutely needed. A VOM or DMM (Volt Ohm Meter or Digital Multi Meter) is a must have for diagnosing elect issues. You don't need a mega buck Fluke DMM to carry in your tool bag (nice for your shop though) for road repairs a cheap $20 DMM is all you'll need.
On a side note: I'm a big fan of a 3rd tire iron.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote