Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
BMWhacker,
Looking at your trailer I think the rack is placed that way so when you open the lid the cargo on the rack stays in place.
When pulling with your solo Goldwing, ride as normal except, allow more room for braking, brake well before any curves. Braking in a curve will have the trailer wanting to go straight and push the rear wheel to the outside of the curve. You will learn maximum lean angles! Once safely in the curve you can accelerate as you wish. Also remember to account fo rthe extra width!
Ahhhh......you are right that makes sense!
I'm trying to figure out the best route to mount the hitch....
Would like to mount directly behind the bike but all the load will be on the rear sub frame......
Not sure if I want that.....I'll keep scratching my head.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

So....finally came up with a mounting set up.
Picked up a 5' section of heavy 1.5" square tubing which accepts the receiver hitch.
Mounted it to the sidecar frame as close to the bike as I could.
I used some u-bolts which clamp it to the frame.
Almost too simple.(?)
The tubing is heavy enough to accept my 160 lbs. of weight without deflection so should withstand the tongue weight of the trailer. Now need to take it all back apart and prime / paint the tubing.
Wiring is next for the trailer lights.
Once done, I plan on loading the trailer and sidecar (with Mrs. Hacker) and ride a lot of miles locally to make sure I am comfortable with the thing. I ran it around a couple blocks last night and couldn't really feel any effect with the empty trailer attached.

ABC# 1992
Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Got the trailer wiring squared away today.
Removed the saddle bags to access the wiring easier, plus I have some new shocks "in the mail" to replace the tired "Marzocchi" shocks currently in place. Much easier to change out the shocks with the saddle bags removed.

Very basic / simple installation. Attaching directly behind the bike was my first thought, but attaching to the rear subframe made me nervous since they are not very substantial. Used a 3/8" plate below the u-bolts. The front of the tubing attaches to the front sidecar frame. I drilled through the front receiver tubing, and added some steel collars in the u-bolts internally so the tubing wouldn't deflect when tightened.
I'll keep a close eye on the attachment points over the next miles.

My initial impression upon riding is good. No real effect felt on street riding. The trailer is quite light. I'll load up the trailer and my "Navigator" and put on some Road Test miles next. Thinking I'll "ditch" the spare trailer tire (?) to save some tongue weight. The cooler gots to stay though....

The center rear marker light / side marker lights are LED's so I lit them up....the lower 4 marker lights in the bumper are conventional bulbs so I opted to disconnect them. The Boxer charging system does not have a lot of "reserve".

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 08:27 PM
Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,912
bmwhacker,
Nice looking rig you got there. Trailer should pull just fine.

I'd like those Hog mud flaps for my trailer, do you know where they came from?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #20
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
bmwhacker,
Thanks...I started with a pile of three derelict / forelorned bikes and built it up from a bare frame. Very low budget / home built rig. Took a few years to get it all together.
Who says you gotta spend a lot of dough to have a sidecar rig?.
Not liking the trailers' color but that will change eventually.
Not sure where the "Hog Flaps" came from....the PO of the trailer said he looked a long time to find them.

ABC# 1992
Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #21
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,118
That hitch should work just fine. If you decide you want to keep the trailer spare, you can bias the load weight in the trailer to adjust the tongue weight. If/when you need trailer tires, check that they are made in the USA, I had a set of Chinese tires wear out in 2000 miles!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
That hitch should work just fine. If you decide you want to keep the trailer spare, you can bias the load weight in the trailer to adjust the tongue weight. If/when you need trailer tires, check that they are made in the USA, I had a set of Chinese tires wear out in 2000 miles!
The tires still have the "nubs" on them so appear fairly "low mile"....but are a few years old for sure. I'll keep a close eye on them.
The trailer configuration has the rear axle set a bit behind the center of gravity. With that, the tongue weight will increase with the load. I think the spare would best be mounted to the rear of the trailer.....but not sure if it is really going to matter.
When I load the trailer, I'm going to load heaviest at the rear of the trailer, as far "aft" as possible.
This trailer has no suspension, but rather a straight axle. I see the top cover latch reads "Honda"...I wonder if this was a "Hondaline" Trailer?

"Safety Chain"? Not sure I would want one.....maybe it is required? This has never had one in place.
Laws vary greatly State to State. Some States do not require even licensing trailers of this type.
The PO pulled this trailer all over the country without tags as his state did not require them.
I've tried to find specific info. concerning MC pulled trailers but haven't found anything specific. I imagine they would fall under "trailers" in general and be no different that a "car pulled" trailer....and requirements would be as per my home state.(?)

There is an "Airhead" weekend campout coming up soon near the Salton Sea so we'll give the rig her "maiden" trip....then the Death Valley Airhead Rendezvous is coming up a couple weeks later. That trip will eventually end up being a couple thousand miles for us. We plan on spending at least 10 days on the road and around the desert SW.
Had a new Metzler K-Block Tire delivered yesterday, they were on sale for $102.00 including delivery so I couldn't help myself. . I'll mount it up prior to Death Valley. I've only used one K-Block on the tug. It didn't last very long. It was a pretty old & 1/2 used tire when I mounted it. The remaining tread disappeared in about 1000 miles. Hopefully this new one will give me some miles.

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 09:24 AM
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #23
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

First Impression

Loaded the trailer full of camping gear and rode around for a while....no passenger as "Mrs. Hacker" was busy.
The only way I could even tell the trailer was behind me was by looking in the rear view mirror.

ABC# 1992
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post

"Safety Chain"? Not sure I would want one.....maybe it is required? This has never had one in place.
Laws vary greatly State to State. .
Some have used the plastic chains made for swag type lamps on motorcycle trailers in place of real chains. Not saying pro or con but you get the idea :-)

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #25
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
bmwhacker,

(Pic removed)

I'd like those Hog mud flaps for my trailer, do you know where they came from?
Not really my business.... But post #9 towards the end he said he was thinking about reversing the flaps so the HD logo didn't show...why not buy his? Or maybe you were subtly implying that.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #26
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
Not really my business.... But post #9 towards the end he said he was thinking about reversing the flaps so the HD logo didn't show...why not buy his? Or maybe you were subtly implying that.
The flaps will stay "as is"...a few "Airheads" at this weekends campout gave me a hard time about them....

We pulled the trailer on a short weekend camping trip.
On some pretty rough roads and traveled 260 miles or so.
A buddy was behind me on one particularly rough section and saw daylight under the tires numerous times. I could not when tell it was "airborn".
The trailer pulled just fine. A little "pull" this way and that on fast corners but not bad...that is to be expected.
Ran down the road 60 - 65 mph no problem. Gas mileage didn't seem to be affected much from solo. Still packing all the same camping gear but now it's all in the trailer rather than on the bike. Inspected everything numerous times and everything looks fine. The tubing I used appears to be plenty strong. I purposely ran some real rough roads to put things to the test.
In a week or so we'll be taking off on a 1000 mile + trip.
I waited until we were near our destination before buying ice and loading up the cooler. The ice lasted for near 48 hours. My typical collapsable cooler only keeps ice alive for 24 hours max. I really liked having the trailer once parked to store stuff. The next trip might involve up to 2000 miles. I'm planning a secondary road route to avoid freeways. One thing about California is that ALL vehicles towing trailers are restricted to 55 mph on the Interstate Highways. A friend recently got nailed in his van, on Interstate 8, for 65 mph, pulling his small trailer.

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 12:42 PM
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

ABC# 1992
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Love that above photo. I swiped it.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #29
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
Hint hint but he is keeping them for the same reason I want them. I've looked all over for them but all I find are the big flaps.
Very off topic but I was at the local HD dealer yesterday and one of the salesmen asked if my Kawasaki W650 was a Ural. And he was serious. I've got a witness. Really.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #30
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Been getting ready for a 1500 - 2000 mile camping run, leaving Wed. Going to cover a lot of back roads in the Mohave Desert on the way to Death Valley. Plan to hook up with some other riders somewhere along the way.... Might eventually end up on the West Coast. Mrs. Hacker wants to put her toe in the Pacific....

ABC# 1992