User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
trackdayrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
heading East in 2014

My plan has been for some time to cross into China on the Irkeshtam pass to Kashgar and the KKH, however there are lots of difficulties and given the recent security issues in northern Pakistan I'm actually considering if there are other options available.

Anyway whatever the outcome I am setting of the end of April and heading east via Italy and Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Russian and Kazakhstan.

Let me know if anyone is interested in sorting out the China crossing options or alternatives.

Here's the outline of the plan as it stands ....

Setting off last weekend in April... Saturday 26th April

Heading for Holland and cross into Germany by Monday 28th..
Travel through Germany that week into Austria and head for the Stelvio pass by the weekend 4th May - Entering Italy on the Monday.

I then will spend approx 3 weeks travelling through Italy to arrive at Brindisi on the south east coast for the weekend 31st May and cross to Greece.

I intend to spend 2 weeks exploring Greece before entering Turkey around 14th June.

I reckon a week along the black sea coast will see me into Georgia by the 23rd and Russia by the following week.

3 weeks to travel up to Volgograd and down to the Kazakhstan border by the 19th July. (hot!)

4 weeks to get to Taraz on the Kyrgyzstan border by the 16th August (not sure how realistic that is)
A week to 10 days to get to the China border will make it the 25th August.

now here's a tough one - 1 week to get to Kashgar and across the KKH?? would make it the 1st week in September

Another 3 weeks to get to Nepal, Kathmandu - aiming to airfreight to Bangkok by the weekend of the 11th October aiming to be in Ho Chi Minh to meet my brother a week to 10 days later around the 20th(ish) October

Weekend of the 27th depart Ho Chi Minh and reach Malaysia three weeks later to aim to ship to Australia by the beginning of December giving me 3 weeks to travel the great ocean road to Melbourne by Christmas

my blog at http://chasingdreams2014.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers
Mark
trackdayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,232
I'd go warp speed across Europe, and this way leave more time for the faraway countries. If you're from Europe, you could easily go to Italy any time, for example.

India & SE Asia are a LOT cheaper to stay, too.

Overland to India it's either KKH to Pakistan, or Iran to Pakistan. I did that 6 years ago. Don't know the exact situation there now. Summertime heat in deserts of Iran and western Pakistan could be very bad.

For me Indonesia was truly mind-blowing, would not skip it. It is slow to travel through though. There's a cargo boat from Timor Leste to Darwin.

edit. And if I were you, I'd also arrange time to explore Cambodia & Laos, fantastic places. North Thailand's not bad either.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 12:00 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
niquedouille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hello Mark
I have a similar trip planned from the end of april too. I will not follow the same way, but we should reach destination around the same month.

I will go through turkey, iran, turkmenistan, ouzbekistan, tadjikistan kirghistan, kazakhstan, russia and mongolia.
Then, for now, I intend to fly from Ulaan Baator to Bangkok. I choose not to consider China as an option, as it is very difficult to get through (chinese licence, chinese plates, special authorisation very difficult to get when you're on your own, and visa).
I will follow your blog and see how it goes for you !

cheers,
jean baptiste
niquedouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
trackdayrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi JB
Thanks for the reply

Interesting! Have you got a price for shipping to Bangkok?

Recent events in Pakistan have highlighted risks that I'm not too sure I want to accept.
I have been looking at alternatives.. A bit late, but still..

We have a group on Google where we are discussing options.. Happybto welcome you there if you let me know your email address..

I think a trip through the "stans" is more likely now

Cheers
Mark
trackdayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
niquedouille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi again,
sorry, I don't have much time right now, but here is my email (see your PM) if you want to stay in touch, as I won't come to the forum very often for the next 2 months..
niquedouille is offline   Reply With Quote