Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I use two 1lt MSR fuel bottles.
+ 1 on the MSR bottles. I read somewhere of another rider using a 1 gallon oil bottle.
I was just eyeing a gallon of "Castrol GTX" in my garage,.. think it will make a great fuel cell for a desert trip.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #17
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,743
Rotopax, MSR fuel bottles, the bladders from the Starbucks gallon coffee containers, or bladders from boxed wine, MSR Dromedary bag (comes in different sizes); we've used all of these or a combination of these for extra fuel.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Daventure
Noob on The Rise

Oddometer: 4
Combination of Fuel Containers

I use a rotopax 1 gallon fuel cell mounted to the pillion seat using an AltRider plate. On the side of my bike I also mounted a Soto ( similar to MSR ) fuel bottle. I purchased a coffee thermos carrier designed for a bicycle to hold the fuel bottle. The "bottle" holder is attached to the tube frame of my bike with velcro straps and zip ties. It looks good and has worked just fine for over 15,000 miles thus far. Below is a link to the bottle holder I used. If I remember correctly the MSR bottles were too for this holder but SOTO fits perfectly. Hope this helps!
http://www.rei.com/product/814984/to...dula-java-cage
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
I riveted aluminum boxes on my pannier lids.
Over 40,000 kms this way and no problems.

BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
I used a 64 oz gatoraid bottle on a big loop in Utah. I knew that the range on my 4.7 tanks was not going to be enough to make it. I found a 64 oz bottle in the trash can. Make sure its a sports drink bottle or it stamped cfc on the bottom of the bottle. Those are usually a little thinker and are resistant to melting from the gas. After 30 miles I put the extra gas. So the gas was not sitting in the bottle for to long anyway. I have also used a 1 gallon oil bottle also before I got a bigger tank.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
+ 1 on the MSR bottles. I read somewhere of another rider using a 1 gallon oil bottle.
I was just eyeing a gallon of "Castrol GTX" in my garage,.. think it will make a great fuel cell for a desert trip.
Oil containers are just a short term solution and will degrade over time exposed to gasoline. The plastic used for water has a better resistance to gasoline.
On the rare occasions when I've carried extra fuel the readily available 6 liter water bottles work great, after 100 miles pour the fuel in your tank and toss the bottle.

For long term fuel storage in plastic, the plastic has to undergo a special Fluorine treatment.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,370
If you plan any off road, I would avoid bungees like the plague. Those damn things always end up wrapped in the rear wheel.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
If you plan any off road, I would avoid bungees like the plague. Those damn things always end up wrapped in the rear wheel.
depends on the bike, I have a can 1 1/2 gallons, similar to rotopak, just more square. I bungee it to the sub frame easy, Just get short enough bungees and dont go circumfrential to the frame just hook them onto the frame so the wheel dosent contact them.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 188
tried the bungees and red gas can method, it falls off. eventually. bladders like the MSR dromedary or the wine box I think are the best because they roll up and store well when not needed. my second favorite is the Javex bottle. just toss it when you are done. works pretty well!.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #25
ftw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Got a really excellent present from a ladyfriend recently - an old Soviet Army fuel canister:

What looks like a landmine is in fact a nearly-gallon capacity flatside canister. No idea what it was primarily intended for nor does my friend know ( said it had been laying idle in her garage for decades ) but it fits ideally into the small compartment of my rackbag:

ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #26
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 658 View Post
I'm sure there must be a lot of posts about this subject, I didn't have any luck in search, so here goes.
I'm looking at taking my TDM from Edmonton up to the North West Territories border, but there seems to be a lack of fuel stops, the further north I go on hwy 35. I'm thinking of carrying extra fuel, just in case. I'd like advice and ideas.

We used Rotopax attached to the panniers on our trip up to the Yukon and Alaska last year.

Cost $$$$ But works extremely well. I carry water in mine... extra fuel not really needed on the GSA. We actually had ambitious plans to travel the Nahanni Range Road in the Yukon/NWT but we ran out of time. It was something like 450 miles roundtrip w/o fuel to Watson Lake, YT

RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOH View Post
I have repeatedly used the Wine Bags that come in a box of wine. They are made of Mylar - reusable - fold up for easy storage - and cheap. I've typically carried 10 l (5l in 2 bags) for thousands of miles. Carried them across some real rough roads i.e. Continental Divide, Trans Am Trail, White Rim Trail and I used them on my last trip to Alaska ( from Texas). I've dropped them, kicked them, and abused them - with nary a leak. The valve can be pulled off and then re-inserted. I found it best to place the wine bag in one of those eco-friendly, reusable grocery shopping bags - it allows for even weight distribution and is easier to mount on the bike.

I like this idea for makeshift single use. But how do you pour the gas into them at a station? What the correct way to fill it? How do you make sure no wine residu gets into your fuel?

My versys only runs on red wine and more bags I see are for white

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #28
DennisK_ID
Old and In the Way

Oddometer: 34
How much?

N00B question---Planning for ride to Arctic Ocean. Probably solo. Working on extra fuel issue. So how much do I need? I see a post where a guy carried 4 gallons and I see a post where a guy said he only needed an extra MSR bottle. I've heard gas stations have quit (EPA and leaking tanks). What's the longest distance between gas stops I'm likely to hit?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #29
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisK_ID View Post
N00B question---Planning for ride to Arctic Ocean. Probably solo. Working on extra fuel issue. So how much do I need? I see a post where a guy carried 4 gallons and I see a post where a guy said he only needed an extra MSR bottle. I've heard gas stations have quit (EPA and leaking tanks). What's the longest distance between gas stops I'm likely to hit?

You are headed to Prudhoe Bay? I am also planning this trip and I am told the longest stretch is 240 miles w/o fuel.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #30
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You are headed to Prudhoe Bay? I am also planning this trip and I am told the longest stretch is 240 miles w/o fuel.
Yes!

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote