Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #46
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw View Post
As an X4 ( fuel economy of an average SUV, tank capacity 15 l ) happy owner, I'd built warm personal relations with each and every goddamned petrol station attendant on whatever road I was taking, until fell on the idea of investing into a litre aluminium camping bottle:

With this country's petrol station grid's average density of one per thirty kilometres on main roads that proved sufficient.

On my next bike I fitted two tractor operator manual holders:

They cost about a tenner apiece on eBay, have water-tight sealing ring and their inside dimensions are exactly those of a one-litre aluminium bottle ( as above ) or standard 75 cl wine bottle, depending on the sortie's mission.
I've seen something like this before and I've had a few questions:
1. I know the MSR bottles are for carrying fuel - backpacking with the bottles inside your pack - but COULD they leak?
2. I guess if they leaked inside this tube, with the neopreen seal, the gas would not come out - right?
3. The ones I saw before, were mounted to the back of the bike on the underside of a rack. On the non exhaust side - no problem But on the exhaust side - what about heat? Any concerns there?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #47
shu

Oddometer: 987
Don't know about the tube, but those bottles don't leak unless you don't close it tight. Personally tested countless times in backpacks and in moto luggage. (But don't get the cheap knockoffs, get the real thing.)

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #48
ftw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
I've seen something like this before and I've had a few questions:
1. I know the MSR bottles are for carrying fuel - backpacking with the bottles inside your pack - but COULD they leak?
2. I guess if they leaked inside this tube, with the neopreen seal, the gas would not come out - right?
3. The ones I saw before, were mounted to the back of the bike on the underside of a rack. On the non exhaust side - no problem But on the exhaust side - what about heat? Any concerns there?

Thanks
1.-2. Everything in our material world could go wrong and so could these bottles leak. To my mind a more correct question would be: how likely rather than could? My experience shows that not too much. In fact all these aluminium bottles have one weak spot: the seal ring under the lid. Usually they're silicone or PET and not necesserily petrol-resistant. If you keep petrol in for longer time they may swell. Can be cured by changing them for smth cut out of petrol-resistant rubber or just ignored - the more they swell the tighter they seal, don't they?

3. Mine have been mounted on the cage so there's ample room for airflow between them and the engine. I think they catch more heat from sunrays due to their black non-reflective surface on their outside than from the engine on their inside. Besides, I trust their plastic is thick enough to serve as sufficient barrier to high temperatures.
ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #49
-Chris-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Here is where mine are mounted.... I think there is plenty of airflow on the exhaust side to keep the can from getting hot. If your real worried about it, just put less fuel in that one for more room to expand...

2005 Honda CRF450X
Fly & Ride-2013, Meandering East - From Tulsa to the coast
-Chris- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #50
Storm Rider
Jesus Saves

Oddometer: 32
Wicked

Whats that TRUCK doing there!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
We used Rotopax attached to the panniers on our trip up to the Yukon and Alaska last year.

Cost $$$$ But works extremely well. I carry water in mine... extra fuel not really needed on the GSA. We actually had ambitious plans to travel the Nahanni Range Road in the Yukon/NWT but we ran out of time. It was something like 450 miles roundtrip w/o fuel to Watson Lake, YT

Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #51
ftw
Beastly Adventurer

Crash-tested one of my tubes today:

The bottle inside didn't leak. Will now find out how easy it is to repair.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #52
TorontoAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOH View Post
I have repeatedly used the Wine Bags that come in a box of wine. They are made of Mylar - reusable - fold up for easy storage - and cheap. I've typically carried 10 l (5l in 2 bags) for thousands of miles. Carried them across some real rough roads i.e. Continental Divide, Trans Am Trail, White Rim Trail and I used them on my last trip to Alaska ( from Texas). I've dropped them, kicked them, and abused them - with nary a leak. The valve can be pulled off and then re-inserted. I found it best to place the wine bag in one of those eco-friendly, reusable grocery shopping bags - it allows for even weight distribution and is easier to mount on the bike.
KOH that's a great idea! I looked up fuel bags and found one with no price. This is a nice $20 bag that comes with wine to boot! Have you EVER had ANY of these bags fail? I ask because I'm sure there are so many kinds. I'd like to consider this option only if it's 100% leak proof, for obvious reasons.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #53
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
from a RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post

To get back to the fuel aspect; I decided to go this way.

My reasoning was that we were going to need to carry the extra fuel for the first 2-3 days. The route we wanted to take would also require us to carry extra fuel on the last two days. I wasn't keen on carting around 30 litre containers for the whole trip. With these wine bags it would not be a problem as they can fold up small and be packed away until needed again.

I couldn't find any reference to some-one else having tried this. So what I did was to do a test by filling one with fuel and leaving it for two weeks. There appeared to be no deterioration in the bag and the fuel was still clear. I also had my daughter jump up and down on one to test the strength, no problem there either. All I needed to do was to make sure that they are packed properly so that they don't chafe.

This is where the Kappa soft panniers came in. This would also be the first trip that I would do with panniers.

Each side carried 3 x 5 litre bags even though the manufacturer specifies only 5kg carrying capacity per bag. To assist the bags I put a strap around them as can be seen in this pic. (Also notice how it brings the weight low and in front of the rear axle)

Well, as it turns out it was a bad idea. The bags expand from the excessive heat and the foil part cannot contain the pressure. Luckily the plastic inner lining can expand so I never lost any fuel.

At least I learned something new. If anyone should come up with such a hare brained scheme again, I will be able to crap all over them.

As for the Kappa bags, I'm a convert now. Gets the weight exactly where you want it and it laughs in the face of adversity. I washed them two days ago and they look like new.

continued here

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #54
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoAlex View Post
KOH that's a great idea! I looked up fuel bags and found one with no price. This is a nice $20 bag that comes with wine to boot! Have you EVER had ANY of these bags fail? I ask because I'm sure there are so many kinds. I'd like to consider this option only if it's 100% leak proof, for obvious reasons.
Been using mylar bladders for years, mine are not from wine boxes, they are from the to go sized coffee boxes. Dunkin donuts and starbucks bothhave them. I just asked for a couple of empty boxes and they gave them to me.

Filled one and left it around, tossed it around, stepped on it, kicked it across the backyard, on concrete. Never burst.

I carry 1 or 2 folded up on road trips.

Had to use one once, no problems at all.

if you get the ones with some flat areas in the corners then you can add grommets as tie down points.

I would not carry them inside a pannier though, they probably would make everything inside the pannier wreak of fuel.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #55
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,473

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #56
ftw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Crash-tested one of my tubes today:

The bottle inside didn't leak. Will now find out how easy it is to repair.
Found out: nought. Just nothing at all. V. simple repair - replacing the broken off plastic bit with its metal copy, they did it for free.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #57
dogsoldier86
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have a 990 adventure but my buddies have GS1300's so I was tired of constantly wording about having to refuel while they could just go on, and on, and on. I was also tired of bothering them with having to find a gas station so I did this last weekend.
[IMG](http://imgur.com/wo29itC)[/IMG]
dogsoldier86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #58
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,214
I just saw this thread and I ran (unintentionally) an experiment using a 1 gallon Arizona Ice Tea Arnold Palmer plastic jug. It can be seen here:

http://www.quill.com/arizona-teas/cb..._PLA_CB_581983

I needed a container to drain some old fuel out of a dirt bike and used one of these jugs ( I like Arnold Palmers - half ice tea and half lemonade). A gallon of gas has been sitting in one of these jugs on the side of my house for probably a year. I use the gas to clean bicycle chains, etc. The bottle is still in great condition and the plastic threads for the cap are really robust. Just another option. I'll probably use one for future Baja trips with the 950 if I want to avoid detours for fuel.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #59
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Giant flasks

I had one of those manual holders no my KL250 Sherpa in Australia last year. They're great!

For gas, I bought two gigantic 64oz flasks off Amazon.com. The gag-gift kind, for $13 bucks each. They're really thin with good fitting lids (buy the stainless steel ones with good reviews), and easy to slip into a pannier. It's a bitch getting the gas in, but for once in a while, emergency use, they're great.

Just don't confuse your flasks if you're carrying more than just gas :)

Here in Latin America, where I'm riding right now, no one bothers with expensive containers. Just get an empty water bottle and fill'er up! For short-term, it works for them just fine.

Quote:
With this country's petrol station grid's average density of one per thirty kilometres on main roads that proved sufficient.

On my next bike I fitted two tractor operator manual holders:

They cost about a tenner apiece on eBay, have water-tight sealing ring and their inside dimensions are exactly those of a one-litre aluminium bottle ( as above ) or standard 75 cl wine bottle, depending on the sortie's mission.
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #60
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119

gateman is offline   Reply With Quote