ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,076
Great RR. This same route is on my list for next summer.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 416
Day 5 from Sylvan Lake

I left off from Sylvan lk. after a great night of food and great drink around a campfire. I have learned how to minimize my load by carrying food that have multiple uses. I really felt sick after the first night of this ride from eating your standard meal in a bag spaghetti. i love to cook chicken roll up tacos and canned chicken is a little better than meal in a bag. Some tortillas and some canned chicken and a little condiment robbery have you a meal. Lots of convienence stores can supply you with ice, ketchup, salsa ,mayo, bbq you name it. I don't take them, i always buy something that i can justify grabbing a few extra for evening meals.

From Sylvan Lk. we back track to rd 7533 Willow Cr Pass trying to shoot for Plains for lunchtime stops. We are enjoying the beautiful scenery and before we know it its hotter than hell out.

A few scenery shot enjoyed along the way.

Did i mention it was hot?

We get sidetracked and end up taking Thompson River rd into Thompson Falls. We fuel and hit the grocery for lunch and supplies for later. Its real hot and the prospect of camping is not looking like it will happen at this point.

We spot Quinns Hot Springs out on the map at lunch and decide to give a look as its in the direction we are going anyway. We slab it to Quinns and its apparent after we pull in that this place is way too developed for our tastes and we boogie out of there on our way to Seigel Pass via rd 412. It real hot and you may be wondering why the hell we are checking out Hot Springs in mid 90's heat, well thats just because we want to and were possibly thinking about staying overnight.

We all are in agreement that we are due for a night in a real bed and head for Alberton MT as our destination for the evening.

Into Alberton cool bridge

sort of.

We arrive to find a place at the only game here The Rivers Edge Motel and RV Park. It will do, it has clean rooms and AC. We do dinner at the restaurant of the same name next door and retire to the room to plan tomorrow and have a few cool ones. we are all having fun riding and are having no mechanical or physical issues at this point and i think to myself that night that this is why we all love this type of ride, you can just get away from everything and all that.

This ends day 5 from Sylvan Lk to Alberton, MT.
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 AM   #18
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,987
My wife and I stayed at The Running Horse Inn a few miles out of Alberton. A very nice place to stay. We had the pickup but with the dr350 in the back so I was able to make about a 50 mile loop around the rim of 9 mile creek, the FS road starts at the inn. Our room had a steam shower and one of the others had a jacuzzi tub.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Day 6 from Alberton

After a good nights sleep, we boogie out of Alberton and hit Fish Cr. Rd. and have a goal of Lochsa lodge for lunch? Not really but thats how it happened. We hit some construction but it wasn't too bad just another day in riding paradise.

Before i know it we are into some cool rock outcroppings and i spot this beauty through the canopy.

We get a little closer and decide its not too far off the beaten path and decidde to check out the rocks.

Les will give a example from comparison on how big this sucker really is.

And me doing the same, its funny when your the one taking most of the pictures you never are able to get a shot or two that are really cool of yourself. I manage the handoff and get a picture or two of your truly!

We get up closer to the base and its really cool up here (actually hotter than hell and we are all swiggin water and munching on salt laden snacks) the rocks rocked.

We get up to the base of this thing and here are three 20 somethings out here from Seattle climbing this rock! How cool is this.
We hang out for a while and watch this dude climb up. It was really cool, you never know what you find out riding. So cool.

It is awesome out here right in this moment for myself and its really things like this that you "find" that make me love ADV riding, the things you see and the people you meet.

]

We hop back on the bikes and consult a map or two and decide we can make it to Lolo Pass and hit 12 to head back to the direction that we started this ride on.
Some road shots and some show offs along the way as we are all pretty jazzed to be riding. Its been an eventless ride for all of us and we are feeling it a little. The plan is to camp somewhere along 12 and have a easy ride back into Kamiah the last day of riding.

We mak a run for lochsa lodge for a proper lunch and maybe a cabin? well the cabins were all booked up and we settle for a campsite at powell. Right on the river and will work for the night.

We look for the promise of a hot spring or two in the area and we will go looking for them next post.
Be right back.
TommyBelvedere
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
shortbus4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Really good story and pictures. Just what the doctor ordered for the middle of winter.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #21
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Superbowl Break over? Lets get back to this thang!

Where the hell did i leave off? IDK, Seahawks winning the Superbowl and all i kinda got sidetracked, GO HAWKS!

We are lounging in after arriving at Powell Creek camp at Lochsa Lodge and securing our spot. We (Greg and I) decide we would like to go find a Hot Spring that a dude last year in this area told us about. Weir Hot springs is what it is called, he said it was named after Grateful Dead member Bob Weir not sure. We saddle up riding lite as all the camp gear is off the bike and you really don't have all your crap saddled to the back, man this thing kinda hauls ass when its just me on it! Its about a 15 mile run up the tarmac to this spot.

We arrive in short order and find it newly signed and a "new" trail carved to the springs. It really is not marked from hwy 12 you just gots to look for the pullout. We soon meet the resident fella on his Harley camping out and get the lowdown, Its 3/4 of a mile or so to the springs and we arrived about a week to late to observe the naked hippy folk from the returning Rainbow Festival i n MT. He went on and on about they were everywhere and all naked and how he partied with them? IDK? I've seen a fair share of naked hippy chicks and thats not what i was here for, i want some r&r at the springs dammit!

Finally the springs

It was very warm, i would guess around 105-110 F range. There was no cool water coming into the springs, thus it was hotter than hell!
We brought our beverages and stuff with us to help our relaxation and it was on! It was a beautiful setting and you could camp there if you liked.
It sure was nice.

Yours truly enjoying the hot water!

Greg is digging the springs i believe!

Timer shot on the rocks. Its all good at this point!

We do our soaking/relaxing and decide to boogie it back to camp for some dinner and a few cool ones. Pretty uneventful night at camp, its crowded and lots of folks but who cares! We are coming into our last day of riding tomorrow and i am realizing that the ride is at its end. I hate the last day because you know your going to have to load it up and haul it all home and thats it for long extended riding for this season. I always can ride back around home but its the same area over and over.

Camp shot in the AM

The beautiful Lochsa River!

Greg is sleeping in this AM, here is his Hennessy Hammock setup he has been using for 3-4 years or so. Come on man lets ride!

Our return route to Kamiah will take up back up to Lolo and to rd 250 to eventually take us into Pierce and back into Kamiah.
We are going up there!

Lots of beautiful scenery up here you really can't go wrong!

The North Fork Clearwater going right along on our way to Pierce

Seen this cool bridge over the river but didn't have time to check it out, might be open for bikes, might not.

My father in law wanted me to take a picture of this creek, kinda gave me bad juju but i did it. Who the hell names these creeks?

We roll into Pierce and back onto Kamiah just as the sprinkles come and it rains a little. Total miles are around 950 or so and no major breaks bikes or people! This was a great ride although Macgruder was still unreachable this year due to fires, oh well it will give me an excuse to come back to Idaho as the riding is second to none and the folks are awesome! I really love Idaho and would live here if there was any work.
We were already planning next years ride and its decided that we will try Northern Cali next year around Lassen and Shasta. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, must sees, anything of ADV interest let me know. We would love some input and mapping and routes are being looked at now.
I hope i didn't bore anyone too much and apologize for the superbowl delay, but really wht the hell else were oyu going to do on a winter sunday ride? Yeah right.
Kepp the wheels up!
Tom
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,164
Nice report! Thanks for taking the time to document it. It gives me ideas for a ride up north.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #23
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 304
Fantastic ride and Adventure.

WOW, really like this report. My father worked out of the Maggie Ranger Station in the 40's. We were going through there once in the 60's while hunting. A cougar jumped from the high side of the road ALL the way over the car and down the bank to the meadow below. He was HUGE but he knew it as that is a protected area. I have many of fond memories of that area. I was born and raised in Coeur d Alene. Graduated in 1972. I plan to do a ride in a lot of that area this summer. I have a 2004 DRZ 400 READY to GO. Thanks so much for this report in the middle of WINTER. I have to look for Slyvan lake though. Hope to meet you on the trail some day.
Les in Boise
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #24
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Thanks for taking the time to share your ride. I enjoyed the report.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,544
Hey Tom,

Yeah, the Superbowl provided a nice distraction !

Thanks for finishing up this RR . . . . . .

Hot springs; yes, I'm gonna have to put that on my next Idaho route; Oh wait, Wansfel and Timmer have probly got that covered . . . . .

Check out Desert Dave's info on Nor-Cal; Should give you some nice destinations & ride ideas:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801678

Later,

Robert

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #26
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Thanks man! And women!

Thanks for all the great comments. I love to share what i consider tame adventures compared to some reports i see on here. I really hope to meet you all at some point, i'm just a little anti crowds and like to keep to myself sometimes.
Robert:
Thanks for the N cal tips, i will check them out! PS, I have some great ciders this year give me a yelp. It was great running into your crew at the Harvest mkt in Kamiah prior to blast off! We have to meet up for a ride locally dammit! The hot springs really let you get relaxed and thinking about things when your there. I highly encourage it!
Ladybug:
Thanks for the kind words, sorry for the lack of flower pictures, but they were there i swear! There was alot going on and i am the only one on this ride contributing pictures or anything. Next time there will be flowers!
Cruiser Dude:
I really loved that maggie area too, it seemed to be a special kinda place. Your cougar story sounds like the kind of stuff that memories are made of for sure! Look for Sylvan Lk on pg 45 MT black mapbook (don't leave home without one of these, seriously!) Its at the east end on Noxon Res. I would love to meet you on the trail, always fun to meet new people out there!

This part of the reason i did this report long after the ride happened, not a lot to read on the PNW section on rides that happened over the summer. Its our way of surviving the crappy weather, surviving to ride the more nicer weather. Or at least a little warmer! I hope you all liked my little story.
Till the next adventure
Cheers Tommy Blevedere
Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 AM   #27
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybelvedere View Post

Ladybug:
Thanks for the kind words, sorry for the lack of flower pictures, but they were there i swear! There was alot going on and i am the only one on this ride contributing pictures or anything. Next time there will be flowers!
I'll hold you to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybelvedere View Post
This part of the reason i did this report long after the ride happened, not a lot to read on the PNW section on rides that happened over the summer. Its our way of surviving the crappy weather, surviving to ride the more nicer weather. Or at least a little warmer! I hope you all liked my little story.
Till the next adventure
Cheers Tommy Blevedere

Riding season is for riding and winter is a great time to relive those rides and tell the stories. I've been working on telling my stories over in the Day Trippin' area. Looking forward to seeing what you have coming from next season.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #28
guitartramp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the great ride report.

I am new to the forum. I live in Idaho and would like to make the same ride. Do have the coordinates or did I miss them, thank you
guitartramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Ladybug,
Here is a picture of some Indian paintbrush i took on the way to Hat pt. Lookout on our 2011 Oregon ride, it was beautiful up at the lookout, although i did not go up to the lookout (not a fan of heights). I really loved that area and that ride in particular.
I love checking out your rides over in Day Trippin', next year for us is Northern California, Lassen, Shasta, Sierras. It should be a hoot.

Guitartramp,
I don't have a coordinated track, but i will have to see if i turned the tracks on in my GPS, i usually don't. Just get yourself a Benchmark Map book of the state your going to ride and most Forest Service and gravel rds are listed in there, start connecting routes and towns along the way. I think planning the route and reviewing it is a great part of the trip as well!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 304
Question about the map you spoke of.

Hello Tommybelvedere.

In regards to your message: Look for Sylvan Lk on pg 45 MT black mapbook (don't leave home without one of these, seriously!) Its at the east end on Noxon Res. I would love to meet you on the trail, always fun to meet new people out there!

Is this a map of Montana and what is the BLACK mapbook? Can I get one in Idaho? Thanks again for the great report.
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote