Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
[RG] dakar.com: "The American was supposed to start at 1:07 pm local time, but his locating device shows he has stopped in the start area. The crews that set off just after him are already inside the special. Is something wrong with his Hummer?"

What Hummer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
So, with the fast riders in, my attempt of an analysis - remember, I know nothing about this kind of stuff

To start from the beginning, the top 3 is hardly a surprise. Barreda was also very fast last year, and especially on a stage which was not too navigation-intensive(?), he could be expected to do well. Coma/Despres just underlines that not only can they be consistent, as we know, they can also be fast if they want to.

With Despres in 3rd, I think he has a solid starting point for tomorrow: The gap of one minute is negligible, he'll "just" have to catch up to Coma and stick with him, and he can keep everything under control without having to open the track at all - should Barreda make a mistake, there is still Coma to open. The stage will end in dunes, and Barreda might have a harder time being just as fast when he is opening.

Sunderland had a great first stage with a top ten finish, just as planned. If he is as good at navigating as many people seem to think, he'll be a top contender if he can keep his head together. Also a solid show by Grabham, who overtook plenty of people going from a starting position of 29 all the way up to 11. While I had heard good things about him, and he seems like a really god guy, I'm somewhat (pleasantly) surprised he did that well.

Speaking of surprises, something must have gone quite wrong for my fellow Scandinavian, Ullevalseter. He fell all the way from 18th to 43rd place, and even if he may not be the fastest, I had expected much better from him. Will be interesting to hear the cause of that.

With all that said, the biggest surprise for me was Duclos at 4th, I must not have done my homework properly, I don't even remember having ever heard his name :-)

Finally, I'm crossing my fingers for the Escale-brothers. Having to tow and be towed all the way home has got to be extremely taxing. Not a good start of the rally for them.
Barreda Crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #17
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I'm sure Coma will be delighted with this result. Coma does not like Stage 2's so will be happy to follow.

So if Coma just sits behind Barreda tomorrow, Cyril will have to ride faster than both catch up this advantage. This is the trouble when there is a third spoke in the wheel (so to speak).

Assuming the above then at some stage Barreda will make a mistake which would put Coma in the lead and that would be when Cyril could catch up.

The thing is looking back to 2009-2010-2011, Coma always started in the lead and then began to pull away from Despres. After rest day Coma would let Despres win stages and he would just tail him, refusing to let him get a big lead and forcing him to open the stage each time.

So really having Barreda gives Coma a small safety net to ride fast, just following Barreda's tracks as he opens the stage at lightning pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Sunderland +4m33s, Pizzolito +8m9s, Przygonski +8m23s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
STAGE 1 TOP 10

Pos. N° Name Hours Time variation
BARREDA BORT JOAN (ESP)
12:49:31 02:25:31 -
COMA MARC (ESP)
12:48:08 02:26:08 00:00:37
DESPRES CYRIL (FRA)
12:47:11 02:27:11 00:01:40
DUCLOS ALAIN (FRA)
13:15:27 02:27:27 00:01:56
GONCALVES PAULO (PRT)
13:05:56 02:27:56 00:02:25
LOPEZ CONTARDO FRANCISCO (CHL)
12:56:55 02:28:55 00:03:24
PEDRERO GARCIA JUAN (ESP)
13:18:18 02:29:18 00:03:47
SUNDERLAND SAM (GBR)
13:14:04 02:30:04 00:04:33
METGE MICHAEL (FRA)
13:13:04 02:30:04 00:04:33
BOTTURI ALESSANDRO (ITA)
13:17:19 02:30:19 00:04:48

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Flood OP
F5lood.

]Rubby with problems. Apparently taken BEFORE the start of SS1:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Flood OP
F5lood.

With Barreda winning SS1, followed by Coma +37", Despres +1'40 and Duclos +1'56" we have a Honda-KTM-Yamaha-Sherco result.

Sultan of Sand Sam Sunderland came in 9th at +4'33", Aussie Ben Grabham is in 11th +4'50.

HRC star Helder Rodrigues had yet unknown problems that cost him 8 minutes, he is down in 22nd. Same goes for his water carrier Javier Pizzolito who had to stop for him.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 12:15 PM
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
Flood OP
F5lood.

Rider's reactions after SS1 from the official site:

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s...ike.html#ancre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Cyril Depres-

"I got a bit emotional..."

"A winding special with lots of breaking and accelerating. 180 km of this was a great way to get the ball rolling! I took some time to find my bearings and ease into my pace. The first special is always tough when you come from cold Europe and you get thrown into the thick of things, so I'm happy to get good feelings. I got a bit emotional at the start, what with starting a new adventure... It was a difficult year, with the decision to move to Yamaha, and then having to prepare the motorcycle, working with the entire team... So when D-Day comes, it feels good to be racing again."

Duclos-

Important to hitch myself to the right wagon..."

"I'm over the moon because I had lots of fun, my Sherco didn't miss a beat and it was a real pleasure to ride on this type of course, where it almost rides itself. In short: fun, speed and a nice bonus at the finish with this result! It was important for me to do well from the beginning in order to hitch myself to the right wagon for upcoming stages.

Barreda-

"I'll try to keep it up"

"I'm really happy with the first stage. At the beginning I had some trouble easing into the race due to a slight problem with the suspension, but afterwards everything went smoothly. We'll work on it to ride even faster tomorrow. I'll try to keep up this pace in the next few stages."

Coma-

"I took things easy"

"First days at the Dakar are never easy. It's difficult to find and maintain your pace straight away. So I took things fairly easy and, as the day wore on, I got the right feelings and found the right pace. All things considered, I'm happy because it's important to clear the first stage without running into trouble, and that's just what I did."

Goncalves-

"Everything's going to plan for me and Honda"

"It was quite difficult for a first special, with a very slippery and tricky 180 km course, especially on the mountain sides: if you fall there, you're going all the way down! So I decided to take it easy at the beginning, but little by little I eased into the pace and gained some confidence. At the end I accelerated and posted the fifth best time on the finish line. I'm happy because my teammate Joan Barreda won the stage, which means I'll start just behind him tomorrow and we'll be able to work as a team. So everything's going to plan for me and Honda."

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 12:40 PM
Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
4:18 pm local time and there are still 6 bikes out in the special.

Go Frederic!!!!

178 - LIBRALESSO PAOLO (ITA) WRF450 FPR
081 - BELTRAMI FRANCESCO (ITA)
137 - PERALTA CRISTIAN (CHL)
188 - MILLET FREDERIC (FRA)
096 - ESCALE ORIOL (ESP)
097 - ESCALE GILBERT (ESP)

Think about it, these guys started at 4h30 am and they still have 200km to ride to get to bivouac from the finish. No doubt these guys will be back after dark and miss the briefing. And it's only the first day!! Poor Frederic has to still do his road book and maintain his bike, when he is not eating and resting. Tomorrow is another 304km Initial liaison (so about 3.5-4 hours) before a tougher 359km special with thick sand and a warm down of 63km, a total of 725km. Its not going to be getting any easier.

The snowball commences early this year.

Time to start a slow clap already?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #22
Flood OP
F5lood.

Freedom Rally Racing on FB:

Quote:
Freedom Rally Racing
Stage 1 completed! 100% successful day! All riders are in. I will add any "daily recap" I receive from riders or crew in this thread. That will depend on cell reception in the bivouac.

Freedom Rally Racing standings are as follows:

1. David Reeve - started #102 - ended stage 1 #33
2. Mateo Moreno - started #184 - stage 1 #64
3. Marco Saldarrigia - started #185 - stage 1 #103
4. Kevin Muggleton - started #186 - stage 1 #120
5. Peter Hardy - started #167 - stage 1 #154

Not only did each one complete Stage 1 - they all moved up in rank. What a way to finish the 1st day!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Flood OP
F5lood.

Better early than forgotten: Tomorrow's stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Since I'll be off soon and have to work tomorrow, here are stage 2 distances:

WP1 @ 47km
WP2 @ 118km
WP3 @ 147km
CP1/WP4/refuel @ 177km
WP5 @ 259 or 269km (@split course)
WP6 @ 278km
WP7 @ 313km
ASS @ 259km

Now hoping the WP tracking works...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #24
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Joan Barreda rides his Honda CRF450 RALLY to victory in the Rally Dakar after 25 years

Honda had proved its strength last October with the new CRF450 RALLY, winning both the Morocco Rally and the Merzouga Rally. Thus, the team has taken command of the first stage of the 2014 edition, after 25 years of absence.

It was back on 11th January 1989 when the official Honda HRC savoured victory for the last time. That was when Gilles Lalay took the fifteenth stage of the Paris-Tunisia-Dakar. Now, in the second year back in the event after a 24 year official absence, Joan Barreda has picked up a crucial first stage win on the CRF450 RALLY. After 25 years, Honda are back in the running.

It was a very early start for the Rally Dakar. The pack of riders headed off at four in the morning on a long 405 kilometre liasion that took them towards the vibrant city of Rosario for the start of the 180 km special.

Joan Barreda on the Honda CRF450 RALLY, got off to a storming start in the special, clocking up the fastest time of all the 175 riders at the first time-check, in this, the 2014 edition of the legendary Dakar. He would repeat the same feat at the end of the stage. Team-mate Paulo Gonçalves also kept up a cracking pace, holding on to fifth place at the close.

Sam Sunderland’s Honda debut at the Dakar was productive, taking ninth position. Javier Pizzolito finished 19th and Helder Rodrigues in 22nd.

Joan Barreda 1st 2:25'31 TEAM HRC
It’s been a great day. I’m really pleased for the first win with Honda, especially for the team that has worked so hard the whole year to produce this new bike. I’m really happy to have begun the Dakar like this. Today was a tough one. Few kilometres, but with a very difficult track full of rocks and very slippery. I managed to get off really well in the second part, keep up a good pace and get a result in the end.

Paulo Goncalves 5th +02'25 TEAM HRC
It’s been a long day, over 800 kilometres and 11 hours on the bike with a very tricky special. Very technical, where I had a lot of difficulties with the bike sliding around a lot. In the second half I quickened the pace and the ride was much better. I’m very pleased for Joan’s victory, which is really good for us.

Sam Sunderland 8th +04'33 TEAM HRC
We’ve finished the first day. A very long special that for us started when we had to get up at 3.00 a.m. More than 800 kilometres and a long liaison too. It was a really intense ride throughout the special. I made a minor error at the beginning and maybe because I changed the settings that punished the rear brake excessively. But in spite of everything, it hasn’t been that bad a stage.

Javier Pizzolito 19th +08'09 TEAM HRC
It has been a hard stage. Being the first stage, I’d have thought that it would be more simple. A very sinuous mountain stage, that was very physically demanding. The bike was very well behaved, so let’s see how we get on in tomorrow’s stage, which should be very different from today’s.

Helder Rodrigues 22th +08'58 TEAM HRC
Today was a very difficult one for me, especially being the first of the Dakar. It was very technical with a lot of bends and you had to be really careful how you handled it. I’m not very happy with the result, but I was able to finish the stage, and you can’t take any risks at the Dakar just for one stage.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Just posted on FB:

"David (Reeve) is in. He has had a very good day and very cheerful and strong and says that he is comfortable. He would like to thank everyone for the support - it keeps him going.
He will change back to the standard KTM clutch tonight.
Sherry gave him a photo of Tom that he loves to bits and is up in his bedroom. A huge inspiration.
(For new fans, Tom Reeve is David's late father and the founder of the modern era of offroad and mx in Zambia, a true legend whose boots David has filled magnificently over the years)
The team has no wifi, so I have stopped bugging them and they are already preparing for tomorrow. I have let them know of all the support from you guys. Hopefully they will be able to connect tomorrow."

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #26
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com about RG:

The American crossed the finish line a few minutes ago, conceding 2 h 08'06" to today's winner, Portugal's Carlos Sousa (Haval). The man at the wheel of the no. 305 Hummer had string of mishaps after starting the special behind schedule. Most strikingly, his prototype lost its rear hood, which had to be retrieved by one of the organisers' cars.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Quotes?
What about this one?
Helder Rodrigues 22th +08'58 TEAM HRC

Quote:
Today was a very difficult one for me, especially being the first of the Dakar. It was very technical with a lot of bends and you had to be really careful how you handled it. I’m not very happy with the result, but I was able to finish the stage, and you can’t take any risks at the Dakar just for one stage.

He was the last HRC rider.....

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Classic stuff Troy!!

Kevin Muggleton:
"Spent the day chewing dakar dust! Tastes of pure gold.
Great day at the office, 13 hours on the bike, loved every minute of it. "

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Xavier de Soultrait@Soultrait
Étape 1 du Haras de Saint-Voir. Bonne journée puisque 42e. Pistes sinueuses et guets sympa!

Kevin Muggleton@KevinMuggleton
Spent the day chewing dakar dust! Tastes of pure gold.

Joan Roma Cararach@NaniRoma
cuarto en la primera etapa del @dakar ganada por Carlos Sousa.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #30
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
from: http://www.ktm.com/us/news-events/ne...l#.UsngF2RDtiY

COMA FINISHES CLOSE SECOND IN STAGE ONE OF DAKAR 2014
01/05/2014 / Red Bull

KTM Factory rider Marc Coma launched his bid for a fourth Dakar Rally title when riders set out on Stage One of the world’s toughest rally on Sunday. At the end of a long day Coma finished second to Joan Barreda of Spain just 37 seconds behind the leader.

Coma said he took things relatively easy on Day One: "It was not easy with just a special of 180 km and on the first day of the Dakar you don't yet really have the right feeling. But I am happy for what we managed today. I took things fairly easy but the race is long and this is just the beginning."

All four of Marc Coma's Red Bull KTM factory teammates were within six minutes of the leader. Francisco 'Chaleco' Lopez of Chile was well placed at sixth fastest, trailing only by 3:24 minutes. Ruben Faria finished eleventh fastest at 5:11 minutes and Jordi Viladoms was thirteenth at just under six minutes. Riders are competing on the brand new KTM 450 RALLY bike.

Lopez was also satisfied with his ride on the opening day. "It was very technical. I'm very happy but it was a long first day with an early start. But I didn't have any crashes and I have a good feeling for the new motorcycle."
Faria too came away satisfied with Day One: "Today was just a small special but a long liaison. The special was not so easy. There were a lot of turns, left and right and up and down but the bike is great and everything went well."

At eleventh place KTM Australia’s Ben Grabham was the fastest of the three official KTM-supported riders, trailing the lead time by just 4:50 minutes. Jakub 'Kuba' Przygonski of Poland came in at twentieth at 8:23 and South African Riaan van Niekerk finished twenty-seventh at 11:14.

KTM Team Manager Alex Doringer was a contented man at the end of Day One. "I'm very happy with the performance of the riders and the bike. Marc and Chaleco were perfect today and Viladoms and Ruben took it easy and used the stage to settle in to get a good feeling. Grabham did a fantastic ride and Jakub and Riaan both finished the day smiling. They are sure then can improve as the rally goes on."

While riders had a total of 809 km starting at Rosario, Argentina and finishing at San Luis, it was just 180 km in the middle of the stretch was timed special. The timed special sent riders over narrow tracks with challenging stony sections and blind jumps that called upon good concentration and ended in a climb up to 2400 m.

The first 20 all finished within 10 minutes of the day’s fastest time, however they all face a bigger challenge in Monday’s Stage Two. They face another long ride of 724 km from San Luis to San Rafael, including 359 km of timed special.
Organizers promise that the first part of Monday’s special stage will be the fastest of the 2014 rally. Then for the last 100 km riders go straight into the grey dunes of Nihuil and will challenge even the most experienced rider and force them to draw on all their technical skills.

Results Dakar 2014, Stage One (Unofficial after first 40 riders)

Rosario to San Luis – 629 km liaison, 180 km special = 809 km
1. Joan Barreda (E), Honda, 2:25:31 h
2. Marc Coma (E), KTM, +37 sec
3. Cyril Despres (F), Yamaha, +1:40 min
4. Alain Duclos (F), Sherco, +1:56
5. Paolo Goncalves (P), Honda, +2:25

Other KTM

6. Chaleco Lopez (RCH), KTM, +3:24
11. Ben Grabham (AUS), KTM, +4:50
12. Ruben Faria (P), KTM, +5:11
13. David Casteu (F), KTM, +5:32
14. Jordi Villladoms (E), KTM, +5:51