Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #61
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
dakar com

SAM:
There weren't so many dunes, maybe 50 km or so, but it was definitely a lot of fun and a big mixture of terrains and different type of riding – some technical stuff, then some really high speed stuff. All in all for me it was a good stage. I arrived at the finish in the top seven. They said I was first, so we'll wait and see if anyone else comes in faster than that. I'll be really happy if I take the stage. It will be the first one for me on the Dakar. It's great. The bike was awesome. Without all the work that goes on behind the scenes this is nothing, as you know, so I'm really grateful for the opportunity from Honda and all my sponsors. Hopefully I can carry on in this direction and have a good overall finish.

Chaleco
Today the first part was very, very speedy and the second part was very sandy with dunes. That was ok for my machine. The end was very technical, but I think it was a good day. For me it was good and I'm happy for the new team. My motorbike was the second best today so I‘m very happy. The Dakar is very long. For me the finish in Valparaiso is very important, but today was ok.

BamBam
I was in luck in the last part. I did some really good navigation. It was unbelievable to go alone there in the dunes that were so difficult. When I reached the last 80 km it was just one track, so I knew the dangerous navigation was finished and I said to myself, okay, good job. After one corner without visibility, there were a lot of boulders and I hit one. It's possible that I broke something. The bike is not so badly broken at all, but part of the navigation system had a big impact on the boulder so it's completely broken. So I had to ride to the finish with one eye on the road-book. I lost a little bit of time, but it's an incredible job and I'm really happy.

CD
Well it was a really, really fast first part of the stage. The bike is not going too fast because we want to save the engine a bit, that's our choice. But it was ok. Marc and Joan Barreda overtook me and gained quite a lot of minutes at refuelling, but after that I managed to come back in the dunes. I had a little crash on the side of a dune and I saw some stars afterwards! I also smashed my camel back so I haven't had water for 100 km. It was tough.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #62
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
dakar com

Coma
It was a very nice day. I had a problem when I got a stone between my gears and my engine and this lead to me blocking my gearbox, so I had to stop to take it out. After that it was possible to continue without problems. It took a few minutes, but it's just like that sometimes. I'm happy that even after getting some trouble like this I'm still in the race and still in the fight.

Duclos
When you're in the right place, you've got good visibility. Everything went well. The positions changed a little just before we hit the dunes. Afterwards, I pushed a little harder and I caught up with Cyril who had fallen. I saw that he was stood up and was ok, so I continued. He caught up with me and we rode together to the finish. It was a stage without any problems.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #63
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Missed the screen cap, tower damamge.....

Salvatierra: blind jump, nothing i could do.... [ass over teakettle]

no damamge to me, and everything works. what could be bad day was good day [otherwise]

GPS and RB worked, most important, on a [bent] bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Interview by Darryl Curtis with Alex Doringer, KTM factory manager, on today's stage.
https://soundcloud.com/broadlinkktm/...m-manager-alex
Quote:
Patronelli crashed too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Alex Doringer (KTM Manager) mentioned in an interview with Darryl Curtis, that 100 KM has been taken out of Stage 3.

Somewhat surprising that the ASO would do this after all the talk about this edition of the Dakar being longer and harder.

Plus, it comes just two days after the a stage which ended up being the first ever with no moto withdrawls (per Bluebull) and only three ended up being very late to the Bivy from what I noticed (Millet and the Escale Bros.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Crew just sent me this text of David Reeve coming in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_FX View Post
From Laia´s FB page:
Hi friends! I've just arrived to the bivouac and at last I have internet so here you are my videoblog (in spanish sorry ;)) from yesterday. Today has been good!! I'm very happy with my 25th place!! The temperature has been too hot, the stage very fast and the sand too soft . I'm going to eat pasta and drink a lot of water. See you!

From Stage 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_boy View Post
Quote:
This was from LAST NIGHT after stage 1:

As you know by now David has had a very good day. He came in very chuffed with his progress today and on the debrief with Scott, handled the issues that he had problems with on the bike very professionally.

Scott, Jaime and Michael have been very good to us. The problems that David had with the bike are not serious and are fixable with most being simple adjustments for comfort and handling.

The most serious problem was the issue of the behavior of the Rekluse Clutch that was fitted to the bike by Scott just before the bike went for Technical Verification on the 3rd January. David has used this type and make of clutch before and he really likes them. As he has broken his wrist in previous events, it assists him to keep pressure off the wrist when he is riding. David and Scott have decided to refit the Standard KTM Clutch pack that made way for the Rekluse Clutch back into the bike, and Scott has done that this afternoon. So all should be good with the clutch tomorrow.

David is very cheerfull. He managed to get a good shower in the RV avoiding the long walk from our pit to the showers, which was a bonus. He then walked down to check out results with me. He is lying 33rd at the moment after today and 2nd in the Rookie class. All in all a really good result for the 1st day.

Tomorrow is a normal day at the office for all of us. David starts at 05:00 hrs sharp (10:00 hrs Zambian time)

The stage is between San Luis and San Rafael.

Liason 1: 304 kms Tar.
Special Stage: 359 kms comprising sections of narrow windy fast road, also sections of sand dunes with huge drop offs are expected in this special. This could be a difficult special.
Liason 2: 62 kms Tar.
Total stage length: 724 kms

Assistance Route for the RV and the Service crew is 305 kms. This is good as we should be in Pits ready for David when he gets in. We feel it is vital that one of the team meet him at the entrance so he doesn’t spend ages trying to find us. It also lifts his spirits to see a friendly face at the end of the days racing.

David is currently in the RV preparing his Road book for the morning with Brett “Smiley” Cummings who had a reasonable day today. Soon Gilly will pack them both off to bed so that they are fresh for the morning.

Quote:
[B][URL="http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/rider/003.html"]- MARCOS PATRONELLI[/COLOR][/U]
The Dakar starts today

It's a good day because I've got it over and done with, because it was very tough. I had to adjust the four tyres before entering the Nuhuil dunes. I crossed them with one of the wheels too deflated. It was losing air and 50 km from the finish, it hit a stone which meant I had to change it. In the end, I have to admit that I'm surprised, because with all the problems I had, I thought that the other quads would catch me up. You could say that the Dakar starts today. It was a genuine Dakar stage… The dunes were very hot and as a result it was difficult to get across them. Today there is going to be a lot of changes in the general standings.

From: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s...uotes-all.html

Quote:

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #64
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Allan Roberts FB

"What a fast fast stage! It's was 360 km SS with fast tracks, constantly looking for another gear, with the throttle as open as it could go-155 at times as the load got lighter. And then into the dunes-massive they were, but not the biggest yet, and then it was another story, on the rev limiter on 1st and 2nd! It's unbelievable hot and I have to contend with the dust most of the day of other riders, lots of huge rocks as well.
It's bloody tough, but I'm loving it, just taking it easy, not pushing to hard, it's a long way to go.
And tomorrow is day one of the first marathon stage, so no service crew tomorrow night.
And the bike is going well, feels strong."

Go Allan

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #65
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Shane Diener lost a lot of time, dropping from 25th to 54th at the finish of todays stage, any word on the reason?
He stopped to help Chavo who went down hard avoiding a Yamaha rider who was down just behind a blind jump. Chavo caked the front end and Shane, Paolo Ceci, and Claudio Rodrigues stopped to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
That is hectic! I thought he had just taken a tumble on his own.
Just got a few texts from him. He didn't know who it was but he said a "Yamaha guy. I think from Olivier Pain's team". Came up on him fast after the blind jump and he...

...oh how it pain's me to say...

...had to put her down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
To keep on blabbering statistics, the only Brits (well, not counting Grabbie, our old Tommy!) to achieve a top ten stage result since Deacon in 98 are Sam.....and Pyndon last year!
Quote:
Hope this is not 205 I'm having a concentration moment.

From wilddogs

Riaan van Niekerk arrives at San Rafael

(wotz with the brown paper bag - skelm Klippies? ) {skelm Klippies is naughty, hidden, cheap brandy}

Quote:
Barreda, yesterday:

"I liked this first stage. I know this is not important for the overall. Moreover, I am not sure I'll have some benefit to have won, because tomorrow I will be opening the track and thus I'll be in disadvantaged. I knew that if I won, tomorrow I would be the first, on the first day with dunes . But I also knew I wanted to win. I've come to realize as the sun rose. I wanted to win. And I have concentrated much on victory in the final kilometers. I did it for Honda. For Yamazaki , the leader of the project, with all the pressure on him. And even knowing the size of the enterprise he has relied on me instead of taking the easy choice: sign a renowned pilot . Tomorrow I have to change the chip. But I have a clear conscience because we won a stage !
I have seen my rivals very strong. I did not think Marc and Cyril would attack as they have today. They can say whatever they want , but seeing them made skids and pulling the throttle like they did, clearly they were going full speed."
(...)

Me ha gustado mucho esta primera etapa. Sé que este no es un día importante para la general. Además, ni siquiera tengo claro si le saco algún beneficio a haber ganado el primer día, porque mañana me tocará abrir pista y, así, parto con desventaja. Aunque lo sabía. Sabía que si ganaba mañana sería el primero en salir, en la primera jornada en que aparecen dunas. Pero tambien sabía que quería ganar. Me he ido dando cuenta a medida que salía el sol. Quería ganar. Y me he concentrado mucho en lograr la victoria en los últimos kilómetros. Lo he hecho por Honda. Por el japonés Yamazaki, el líder del proyecto, por toda la presión que tiene encima. Y aún sabiendo la magnitud de la empresa ha confiado en mí en lugar de tomar la decisión más fácil: fichar a un piloto de renombre. Mañana tengo que cambiar el chip. Pero me queda la conciencia tranquila porque sé que eso ya está ahí: ¡ya tenemos una etapa!
A mis rivales los he visto muy fuertes. No pensaba que el primer día Marc y Cyril atacarían como lo han hecho y hoy han salido a por todas. Ellos pueden decir lo que quieran, pero viendo las derrapadas que hacían y el gas que daban está claro que iban a muerte.

http://blogs.elpais.com/dakar/2014/0...una-etapa.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Daily Blog from CB2: Day 2

So DR (David Reeve) is back in the Bivvy safe and sound, coming in about 20mins ago. He is knackered having had a hard day in the saddle.

The 1st stages of the day were a liaison along a tar road out to the “Special.” The liaison was very long. We were passed by plenty of riders on their way out to the liaison and already it was noticeable the levels of fatigue this race is going to put these guys to. Some were sitting on one bum cheek, others hanging their le...gs off foot pegs, some weaving on the road a little. It’s only the 2nd day in and already it’s very hard work.

The special or “racing stage” was no exception. The 1st part of this was a flat out slog on a gravel road. DR managed to get past the quads who kick up dust on a wide section of gravel so no dangerous manoeuvres required to keep up. He said his throttle was pinned wide open through this section. Then came the dunes. 100 kms of them. The sand was soft and hard work. The dunes were tall so if you didn’t manage to get up in one attempt you had to come all the way down and start again. Energy sapping stuff.

He knows the Rekluse would have made the day easier for him, but it’s too late to dwell on that now. We may get Scott to replace the Rekluse back into the bike for Chile next week as there is plenty of dunes there. The rest of the stages in Argentina do not contain much in the way of sand.

So he’s just had a nice cool RV shower and is having a short rest now. Its 16:00 hrs Argentina time. We will make sure he has lots of food tonight. The food in the Bivvy is very good.

I will know tomorrows start times etc later.

The bike is getting some TLC right now from Scott and Jaime. DR has a Marathon stage for the next 2 days which means we don’t see him for 2 days. This makes the TLC the bike is getting now even more important as it has to last 2 days without FRR’s Technicians touching it.

Riaan (van Niekerk) spoke to Gilly earlier after his return. He had a difficult day as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #66
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Its almost 6pm local time and probably safe to say that CP1 is closed. Spare a thought for these guys who have not yet made it that far yet.

- (80) 084 - ingo zahn (deu) ktm

- (81) 182 - sergio cerdera (arg)kawasaki

- (94) 195 - francisco massu (chl) yamaha

- (149) 137 - cristian peralta (chl) honda

- (161) 156 - carlo seminara (ita) yamaha

- (174) 188 - frederic millet (fra) ktm

Fred - We are sorry for you

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #67
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
The distances for tomorrow, if they keep the stage as is and don't shorten it.
Previous years, WP tracking only started working on stage 3 or 4 and breaks again on the last stage so nothing to worry about.

WP1 @ 52km
WP2 @ 106km
WP3 @ 147km
CP1/WP4/refuel @ 188km
WP5 @ 217km
WP6 @ 272km
WP7 @ 287km (or @ CP2)
CP2 @ 300km
WP8 @ 303km (or @ CP2)
WP9 @ 348km
ASS @ 373km

And hopefully, fimp gets through the stage and Pal gets his bike back

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #68
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Mai Llinares on Twitter just said that Spanish TV reported Marc Coma might have to swap engines already!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #69
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
http://ipad.dagbladet.no/2014/01/06/...eter/31149450/

"- There was a whole bunch that would take everything I own and have. It was a place you don't want to hang around.

Dramatic for Ullevålseter in the Dakar Rally .

( Dagbladet ) : In the evening it was announced that Pål Anders Ullevålseter had to break this year's edition of the Dakar Rally . And under mildly mysterious circumstances .

The engine at Ullevålseter's KTM seized after about 290 km of the day's special stage totaling 433 km between San Luis and San Rafael . Why the engine quit is completely uncertain for the team and have no oil shortage to do, which is often the cause.

After the engine stopped , five men have met Ullevålseter and said they would help him get the bike back to the pits.

- I know where the bike was, but I do not know if I'll get it back . It stood in the middle of some sand dunes where there are very many road sections. We have the Iritrack satellite system, so the organizer can see where it stands . It is normally picked up 12-15 hours after I 've been there, says Ullevålseter Dagbladet.

Drama
And here started the drama . This is a bike that is packed with valuable equipment and, therefore, the 45 -year-old was wary of letting the five men take care of it alone . He should then have been invited to ride in a car where one of the five men's brother was the driver . This he accepted .

- It was no problem to leave the bike , because there would not have been. It was over 40 degrees , and a whole bunch that will have everything you own and have. There are so many strange things happening , says Ullevålseter .

- There was so much unsafe surroundings. I figured that if I leave this place , so they steal my instruments or entire bike . So I took with me three instruments worth NOK 20 000 a piece.

Fraud ?
After about 20 minutes drive got the man who drove Ullevålseter a call from one of the men who were left with the bike with the message that his brother has taken his own life. Ullevålseter was then released , and got a ride with someone else while the previous driver went to find the police.

- There were five of us there. So I got a ride with two that would drive me out of the desert . There was talk of NOK 1000 for a 100km ride . When we had run 20km , one guy got a call . One of the other three shot himself .

Think you 've been scammed?

- No, this happened. He is told to contact the police . Because the brother of one in the car is dead . There were lots of police along the route . I have not paid anything for the trip. He got the phone out and talks to the police. Then I jump out of the car and find someone else to hitchhike with . He would not have the money anyway, he says.

- I'm pretty sure it has nothing with it ( fraud ) to do. Ever since I landed in Buenos Aires, so there have been so many strange things . There 's nothing surprises me anymore.

50/50
Nevertheless , Ullevålseter are disappointed after the race is already on the second leg . This was not what he had set for himself before the start.

- It's amazingly disappointing. This is Day 2. I try to console myself that this was not Day 12. I have mechanics that I've had for 12 years , and we have run eleven times in Dakar without problems. Everything is new and everything should be fine. It is not something mechanical that is the mechanic 's fault here , because then he would have shot himself , he said.

When asked if he thinks he's ever going to see his bike again , he's not so sure .

- It's probably 50/50. It would be nice to get it back whole , he said.

- About three days coming down the sponsors . I can well serve as a guide.

Modest start
The Norwegian had a rather modest start to the race and was number 43 on the race's first leg , before hisadventure today ended abruptly.

Ullevålseter will otherwise remain in South America the next day to meet the sponsors who have made ​​the trip over , and to support Francisco Arredondo and the rest of Team Ullevålseter ."

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #70
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
From Kevin Muggleton: Ran out of fuel 3km from end of special. Huge respect to Jan from Czech #68 five times dakar racer for getting me across the line

He's getting gas now and says he 100% knackered from the special.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #71
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Miran Stanovnik receiving outside illegal assistance. That's the spirit!

Quote:
Chaleco:

"It started very complicated this route because I fell in a river and the bike was sideways in the water. I managed to lift it, I got the injection wet , but the engine didn't stopped. After about three minutes I regained the power of the machine and could go on "

http://deportes.terra.cl/automovilis...ceb0aRCRD.html
“Empecé muy complicado esta ruta porque me caí en un río y la moto quedó de lado en el agua. La logré levantar, se me mojó la inyección y pasé susto, pero no se paró el motor. Tras unos tres minutos recuperé la potencia de la máquina y puede seguir en competencia”

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
PlanetRobby retweeted a photo of him being towed but I can't tell if it's from today or yesterday.
Quote of the day?

Quote:
Cyril Despres - Yamaha Factory Racing
“I arrived a little too quickly on a note in the road book at around kilometre 250 and went over the handlebars. Fortunately it was a soft landing so the bike wasn’t damaged but it took me a while to dust myself down and get going again and inevitably I lost time. Overall a day to forget.”

Olivier Pain - Yamaha Factory Racing
“The stage started off really fast and finished that way too, but in between there was a nice section of dunes, a little like Le Touquet, which was really fun to ride. I got a little stuck in the dust early on but made up some time in the sand and as a result moved up a little in the overall rankings. Now I’m approaching the top 10 and am well placed on the eve of the first marathon stage.”

Frans Verhoeven - Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven
“Mainly fast today with some dunes and a few river beds, quite technical in places. Like Olivier I got a little stuck in other peoples dust but that’s part of the race. In the past I might have got overexcited in that kind of situation and tried to overtake in an inappropriate place but now I’m older but wiser. My intention here isn’t to take chances and put in a good time one day only to lose it the next. This year my strategy is to build my race slowly but surely and see where that leaves me at the final finish.”

Michael Metge - Yamaha Factory Racing
“It was an OK day until I got into the bivouac and discovered that the officials had given me a 41 minute penalty for supposedly arriving late at the bivouac yesterday evening – something I don’t understand at all as I came in at the same time as Cyril. Currently the organisers are looking at my GPS to check when I actually arrived and hopefully all that should be cleared up this evening. It kind of took the fun out the day…”
Quote:

Gotta love the South Americans. Its a collective solution that is not really a solution you want, but their over eagerness to get involved makes you loathe to interrupt them even though more than likely they will screw it up.

Anyway a few sample pics from Dakar.com, go check it out!

Quote:
dakar com

Speed, fuel, caps, struggles and Brett Cummings

The first part of the day yesterday offered a session of speed that Brett Cummings especially appreciated, riding his KTM at around 155 kmph along the tracks around San Luis. However, his fuel cap was much more ill at ease: “I think among all the thrills and spills it must have been blown off,” explains the South African rider. By finishing 43rd on his first Dakar last year, Brett Cummings was aiming for the Top 20 this year. However, withdrawals of sponsors opened another horizon to him, that of the rider without assistance. “It's due to economic constraints but it's also a choice that is in keeping with the origins of the Dakar”. As for the trials and tribulations that make the lesser and greater legends of the Dakar, between San Luis and San Raphael, Cummings had more than his fair share. He had to ride with just one fuel tank due to the sand that was getting into the other and then use the spectators as an improvised assistance team to obtain the petrol required to finish the last 25 kilometres of the stage. “It was tough, because I can only speak English,” he explains, alone, under the scorching sun,as is often the fate of the lone biking ranger. “I must have lost 30 minutes and I was overtaken by the quads that I had passed. Now I'm trying to find a fuel cap. That's the Dakar: it's an endless struggle”.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #72
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
Just had to add this:
Toyota to race biodiesel SUV in 2014 Dakar Rally

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UssyTet8yUd

Stage Two:

32 345 MITSUHASHI (JPN) GUEHENNEC (FRA) TOYOTA 08:15:07 01:58:05

I was sure that this was some sort of backdoor scheme to have assistance during the race: Follow 401, HERVE DIERS (FRA) TOYOTA(!) The French Fry Guy!

Worst case if they run out: Tap the fryers for fuel! Genius by the Japanese!

Sadly it appears that the Frier hasn't made the start of Stage two...

Perhaps they already gave their chips up to the Japanese. Or they kept having to stop to vend to the waiting crowds...
Quote:
Quote:
Brett Cummings phones in and talks about his day.

https://soundcloud.com/rallyerider/s...-to-san-rafael

I have good feeling that he may be top of the Malle moto class!!
Quote:
Hélder:

"The stage was very hard and until we get to the dunes was quite impossible to attempt any overtaking, as there was immense dust. In the Nihuil gray dunes I lost some time helping Javier who had fallen"
Quote:
http://www.maray.cl/dakar2014/articu...r.php?id=32588

Francisco López termina segundo la etapa 2 y es sublíder en la general

Chaleco finishes 2nd on 2nd stage and is [runner up] overall

El piloto chileno Francisco López terminó segundo este lunes en la etapa 2 del Rally Dakar ‘Argentina-Chile-Bolivia 2014′, que comprendió un trayecto de 433 kilómetros de especial entre San Luis y San Rafael.

The Chilean rider Francisco Lopez finished second Monday in Stage 2 of the Dakar Rally ' Argentina -Chile- Bolivia 2014 ', which included a [special] of 433kms between San Luis and San Rafael.

In a fast stage, which had the first dunes, the native Teno [Chile] biker with [growth] to get the second best time of the day, with a time of three hours, 42 minutes and 49 seconds.

' Chaleco' was only surpassed in this new Argentine stage by British Sam Sunderland, who set a time of 3h42'10 ", reaching the goal 39 seconds before Lopez. The third place went to Joan Barreda of Spain, two minutes behind the winner.

After the second stage, the best national credit to the bike category is now [runner-up] of the overall standings, two minutes and three seconds behind the leader, Barreda.

On the other hand, the favorite Marc Coma and Cyril Despres had a modest performance on the stage today to face problems during the [special]. The Spaniard was fifth and French Champion, eighth overall.
Quote:
Faria:

'It was a day with many changes. We started at high speed, then areas of stone and more meandering route and also fulfill the first kilometers in the sand, passing by the beautiful gray dunes. I already knew it would be a day where it was important to somehow take a strategic position: attacking in the early stage and then relax in the area of sand, where I could also gain some time to a few adversaries. '

'It was a positive day in that chapter and puts me in a good starting position for tomorrow where we meet a long special, with almost 400 kilometers and where we will climb to more than 4 000 meters of altitude. It will also be the first half of a marathon stage so it will be important to manage the wear of the bike. '
Quote:
Team Manager Alex Doringer said he was happy to have his riders in safely and said Stage Two had been a good result for Ruben and Villadoms.

"Grabham had a fantastic ride and Riaan is improving every day," he said. Speaking of the marathon stage, Doringer added: "It will be tricky. It will be very rough on riders and bikes and we'll know more after the first stage of the marathon. The guys will have to use their brains, not go flat out and think about how they can take care of their bikes and manage the second stage of the marathon."
More new comments:
Quote:
Sam Sunderland - 1st - 3:42'10 - TEAM HRC
I’m really happy. The bike was fantastic, it’s been a great day with a mixture of different terrains, speed and technical zones. We got to the dunes which I get on really well with. It wasn’t a really long stretch, but it went well. I crossed the river which was deeper than I had expected, which got a few laughs out of the folk. But I’m really pleased for my first Dakar victory and to continue Honda’s winning streak.

Joan Barreda - 3rd - +02'00 - TEAM HRC
I knew that it was going to be a day to be on the look-out for animals. When I was about 70 km away from the finish-line, with the big hazards out of the way and the navigation through the dunes completed, I crossed a river with low-visibility and came across a cow on the curve. I tried to avoid it, but it came running out and I ran into it. It wasn’t a great impact, but it broke the higher part of the navigation, and I had to work the roadbook manually. The first part was really speedy and I was opening a gap over the rivals. From kilometre 250 to 300 I had to stay really focused, which I’m very happy with.

Paulo Goncalves - 8th - +07'45 - TEAM HRC
It was a really hard day’s rally. I had a couple of issues with the gas in the dunes and I lost a bit of time. It could have been a better day, but what the heck... I managed to finish and that’s the most important thing. Tomorrow we start out from good positions so the fight will go on.

Javier Pizzolito - 21th - +21'22 - TEAM HRC
It was a beautiful stage, with a lot of kilometres and much dust. I went off with Hélder, and tried to push hard. I made a slight navigational error and I fell, which was worse for the bike than for me, as I’m fine. It could have gone better for me today, but considering I made it, I’m happy.
Quote:
Well spotted

They have issued the results for the day with only 140 bikes on that list.

Last man in was Gilbert Escale, and both brothers made it home.

Full results here:http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs...nts/CEM_02.pdf

Here are the updated overall results

Full results here: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs...nts/CGM_02.pdf

The General results are pretty interesting:

What stands out to me is

1) The top 10 riders are all within 10 minutes of each other.
2) The top 23 riders are all within 30 minutes of each other.
3) the aliens are separates by a mere 1:23
4) Gonclaves and Faria are between Coma and Despres. This is interesting to me because they are also consistently good, albeit not as much as the aliens.
5) There are 4 makes of bike in the top five. Honda 2, Ktm 2 and Sherco 1
6) There are five makes in the top 10, dominated by KTM and Honda. All five makes appear again in the top 20.
7) Only 8 riders seem to be left in the malle moto class, from 15 yesterday.

Ben Grabham is the top newcomer in 9nth overall. This is outstanding given the closeness of the field this year.

Laia Sanz is 27th overall, also outstanding and the highest she has been if I am not mistaken

David Reeve is 32nd, but 2nd in the Production Class!

Robert van Pelt 42nd held his first position in malle moto class
Brett Cummings now 53rd held his position as 2nd in the Malle moto after a tough day. Just 16 minutes separate these two.

Go Brett GO
Quote:
Quiet a massacre for a day 2:

It's almost 22h local time and we got in:

148 of 173 bikes
88 of 147 cars
39 of 70 trucks
Quote:
RTVE, Villadoms, 14:15
I'm very happy how the stage went, I have to improve a few things but, little by little improving....
what things,
I can't say....
About the bike?
No, the rider.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #73
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Pros:

Amateurs:

Quote:
From FB:

JamieDakar smashing the trails.

Freedom Rally Racing

Setting up Bivvy in San Rafael

Dinner
Breaking news: Peter Hardy #167 is out.
Quote:
Ok.....thanks for your cooperation. Us "wives" didn't want it public knowledge until Elizabeth was notified and I wasn't able to reach her right away. Kevin was the slip up (then started to go viral). Hand slapped ;p

There is nothing worse than us wives being at home and hearing bad news about spouses online, and not always accurate. Wanted her personally contacted first.

It's all good now. She's been notified. And she seems fine. But I'm sure she's not.

Details are still very sketchy. Men don't give good details in texts and don't answer the important questions I ask ;p

Peter's bike did catch on fire. He did have a helicopter ride. To biv is my guess, not hospital. But they won't answer that. Said he is 100% fine. So assuming just a ride in. Said he's smiling.....like always, right. And again stressed he is FINE!
Withdrawals 10pm Local time Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
284KTM
withdrawal
2153KTM
withdrawal
220KTM
withdrawal
2191HONDA
withdrawal
2137HONDA
not starting
2187HONDA
withdrawal
2115YAMAHA
withdrawal
2166YAMAHA
withdrawal
289KTM
withdrawal
2156YAMAHA
withdrawal
221SPEEDBRAIN
withdrawal
2140SUZUKI
withdrawal
2188KTM
withdrawal
2136HONDA
withdrawal
2183KTM
withdrawal
291YAMAHA
withdrawal
2161YAMAHA
withdrawal
Quote:
La fiesta del Dakar Argentina llega a Mendoza

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #74
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
RTVE, Marc Martin and team on Escale bros:

MM: The calmness with which the brothers face their problems

Rafa Tibau: I'd like to say calmness, but I'd say overwhelmed, the first 18 hours, everything that's happened to them....

MM: But smiling, other riders would have [quit]

Carlos Solteo: both 20 year olds are suprising to have this philosophy, and are doing really well in spite of their problems

Xavi Riva: Famous phrase ??"C'est L'Afrique Patron"?? and really they're seeing that with so many problems, take them one at a time, that report was [great].
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Dakar : Bikes stage 2

Quote:
David Casteu via email

At the end of the second stage between San Luis and San Rafael, David was ranked 7th in 7'27 '' the day's winner , Briton Sam Sunderland ( Honda) and moved up to 10th place overall , to 10'59 '' Joan Barreda Bort leader (Honda).

"Everything is fine, I just arrived, David tells the bivouac in San Rafael . We had a very long day, we left at 4:00 in the morning and it makes a heat sick! I took my bearings on the bike after two or three settings. It starts to come. The fact of not knowing too that KTM is not so bad because I 'm quiet . Today, the course was very nice, very green hills, I thought I would in a western . "

On Tuesday, the third stage will start from San Rafael to San Juan, with a 292 km link and a special of 373 km . This will be only the first part of the marathon stage . At night, the pilot will provide mechanical themselves in isolated camp that was prepared for them .

Lundi 06 Janvier 2014 – Etape 2

A l'issue de la 2e étape entre San Luis et San Rafael, David s’est classé 7e à 7’27’’ du vainqueur du jour, le Britannique Sam Sunderland (Honda) et est remonté à la 10e place du classement général, à 10’59’’ du leader Joan Barreda Bort (Honda).
« Tout va bien, je viens d’arriver, raconte David au bivouac de San Rafael. On a eu une très longue journée, nous sommes partis à 4 heures du matin et il fait une chaleur de malade ! J’ai pris mes marques sur la moto après deux ou trois réglages. Ca commence à venir. Le fait de ne pas trop connaître cette KTM, ce n’est pas si mal car j’y vais tranquille. Aujourd’hui, le parcours était très joli, avec des collines très vertes, je me serais cru dans un western ».

Ce mardi, la 3e étape partira de San Rafael pour San Juan, avec une liaison de 292 km et une spéciale de 373 km. Ce ne sera que la première partie de cette étape marathon. Le soir, les pilotes devront assurer eux-mêmes la mécanique au bivouac isolé qui leur a été préparé.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Just quick note from SMS from Jan Vesely (Yamaha, no.68) - he stopped on WP19 as he spotted another biker, who collapsed from his bike and was unconscious. He spent there time until arrived helikoptér, what they called to help. He think he will get the spent time back. But he helped another rider with broken leg and finally helped another one, who was without fuel. Quite tough day. Jan mentioned, that it was toughest day from all Dakar´s what he was riding so far. Very hot and engines were not happy about it. Dunes quite steep.

Quote:
Sadly Visser/Badenhorst out of @dakar. Rolled @TeamFordRacing Ranger in dunes. Visser in hospital for x-rays, Badenhorst ok

-few minutes later-

Good news - Chris Visser is ok, staying in hospital overnight, should be out tomorrow morning #FordAtDakar @TeamFordRacing @dakar
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #75
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com photos posted to facebook from stage 2.

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]

#22 - ALAIN DUCLOS (FRA) [SHERCO]

#5 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL) [KTM]

#17 - MICHAEL METGE (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#6 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#3 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) [HONDA]

a few more in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose if you're interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Overall a day to forget."

Quote:
So tomorrow: Stage 3 Bikes route is different. Marathon Stage. (Thanks again, Uller for the images)

Let me tell you riding at 4,000m + is no joke! Most people will start to feel dizzy if they stop. A thing as simple as picking up your bike become a major major task. I'm sure they will shutoff CP2 early to be sure.

I get the feeling there will be some single track and some steep hill climbs after CP2. It will also be the 1st ever that the Dakar does off piste navigation at over 4,000m. You could get into a world of trouble if you go the wrong way up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Bivouac is here:
31°33'5.38"S 68°41'30.05"W

View Larger Map
Quote:
Paul Jay

Got back to the bivee safe, bikes looking a bit 2nd hand and so's the rider. That was the hardest thing I've ever done!!

------------

He is currently in 134th place

From Today:
99HONDA
14:59:0608:49:2502:00:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Here are all the routes the assistance crews take from one bivouac to another:

Crew Routes in Google Earth

Quote:
Hogwild is correct. That is the bivouac of for the trucks and cars though.

Here is the liaison route (north is left, east is up)

Another view a bit closer (with north up)

Hogwilds view is zoomed right in.

But the bikes...where will they be camping? I reckon they will be here to the west of San Juan

I did not have time to draw the special, but I'm pretty sure these are photos of parts of it (going up into the mountains towards Chile before veering back again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
I've just got off the phone with Peter Hardy #167 (one of my best friends) who, like usual, was as positive as ever, after getting the worst luck possible.

Near the end of the heavy dune section his fanny pack rubbed on the rear end of the seat and somehow dislodged the rear fuel vent tube and petrol leaked out onto a hot tailpipe. The bike caught fire and he extinguished the flames with sand. (for those who don't know, Pedro fights wild fires for a living) There was mayhem all around on the stage with broken quads and injuries.

"I wasn't going to push the (panic) button this early in the stage. The bike wouldn't run and there was sand in the carb." He made the decision to put the bike on a non entered service truck and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He wanted to get closer to the end of the special so as to find assistance from another participant instead of spending the night in the dunes without food.

"The helo landed and they asked what the bike was doing in the back of the truck..."

"I didn't lie, I told em 'the bike caught on fire' and things went downhill from there." They picked him up and flew around scooping riders off the special and landed him at the bivy.

"Shit happens but I just didn't want it to happen to me"

The first thing Pedro did was call Elizabeth: "Wife said, you're a winner in my book and you'll do better next time."
(Which means Pedro will be back...)

"I was pretty close to the end of the special after the dunes. Tunisia was way harder than the dunes today, so it (Tunisia) was good training for me."

"I didn't even lay the bike down in 2 days."

Interestingly and fondly, you have to love this guy for the next quote as he described the chaos of the day and how tempers were flying in the bivy and people were downright having a shitty time...

"You gotta be happy all the time. Thats why were here"

"I could be wrapped in a skin graph..."

Pedro is out of the DAKAR and his fate is unclear, he's a veteran to the bivouac and may decide to stick it out with his current team (Freedom) or possibly join another crew. Whatever the case, I just ask the F5 community to spill some bear or wine for this gentle giant and lets learn from this guy...His 2.5 years of prep went down the tubes over something totally out of his control yet he still keeps a positive attitude and found a way to look on the bright side:

"You gotta be happy all the time. Thats why were here"

If you don't know him yet, please learn his story here
Closed Thread