Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #76
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Jamie Smith withdrawal

From Jamies facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamie...57166167765906

Quote:
Yesterday Jamie had a collision with a quad bike. He is battered, bruised and clearly gutted but is now out of hospital with no serious damage. I`m sure you will all agree this is bloody bad luck and takes nothing away from his amazing accomplishments so far. We are all thinking of you dude.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #77
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
via FB:
David Reeve's Zambia Dakar 2013 Challenge

Good Morning Zambia. I have a little data connectivity at long last so having packed up the RV and getting ready to leave for San Juan, I thought I'd just send a quick update.

David is cheerful. He has had a touch of the Flu but seems to had got rid of it now. He left about 2 hours ago on the 1st day of his 2 day Marathon stage to Chilecito via San Juan. Their Bivouac tonight is a long way from ours and will be heavily guarded to ensure that the riders don't get any Assista...nce from their teams.

Yesterday was carnage for all the classes with quite a few withdrawals as we understand. You will have seen the posts about it.
David and I had a long chat after he finished his Road-book preps last night.
The Plan is simple. He will consolidate his place during the 2 day Marathon stage, not pushing it.
Don't expect any major place changes please, The aim is to preserve the bike and get through the Marathon stage in 1 piece. We also know that David gets stronger the longer he is in the race. He has the stamina. He ate well last night which he needed to do as he was physically drained when he came in. Food here in the Bivouac is very good.
Scott Spears and Jaime Valdez from FRR are doing an awesome job on David's bike. She is running sweet. They both have a good relationship with David and are very pleased with his attitude and feedback to them.

Well must go. Thanks for all your support. I managed to get on FB in the Bivouac last night, to show David the support you guys are sending him, it had us both a bit emotional. (show him his thread, it'll have him blubbing like a baby) He was so Chuffed that you guys are sending all the messages.

It lifts David seeing that you are supporting him so much. Thanks again.

Out for now, will try to send some pics asap, maybe vi Norman on Email.

CB2

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #78
Flood OP
F5lood.

Change on the day's stage

The motorcycles and quads will start at km 130 of the special.
The finish of the car/truck special has been moved to just after km 222 of the original course, yielding a new stage length of 240 km

via dakar.com

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #79
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #80
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Withdrawal dakar.com list

stage Name Mark Reason
2 183 KTM
withdrawal
2 89 KTM
withdrawal
2 161 YAMAHA
withdrawal
2 21 SPEEDBRAIN
withdrawal
2 153 KTM
withdrawal
2 137 HONDA
not starting
2 187 HONDA
withdrawal
2 115 YAMAHA
withdrawal
2 166 YAMAHA
withdrawal
2 84 KTM
withdrawal
2 156 YAMAHA
withdrawal
2 20 KTM
withdrawal
2 140 SUZUKI
withdrawal
2 188 KTM
withdrawal
2 136 HONDA
withdrawal

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #81
Flood OP
F5lood.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #82
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
  • 10:06 Bikes: 10 minutes behind the leaders

Beyond the Top 10, the fight will be a close one this Tuesday. Whilst David Casteu (KTM), who started the special at 10.02 AM local time, occupies 10th place ahead of Jordi Viladoms, the two men are separated by no more than 2 minutes… 2 minutes further back, 12th place is occupied by Juan Pedrero Garcia, 8 seconds in front of Olivier Pain. Grouped within a 9 minute bracket, the pursuers up to 20th position are an active threat. Helder Rodrigues, 17th, or Michael Metge in 18th could take advantage of this mountainous special stage.
  • 10:02 Bikes: The bikes start the special

The bike special started at 9.50 AM local time. Yesterday’s winner, Sam Sunderland kicked off proceedings along the tracks that will take the bike and quad riders to Barreal, where their bivouac this evening is located. Behind Sunderland, the leaders of the general standings, Francisco Lopez and Joan Barreda Bort will be followed by Ruben Faria and Alain Duclos A watchful eye should also be kept on Marc Coma and Cyril Despres in 8th and 9th place, who will be setting off in several minutes.
  • 08:33 : Modification of the day's route

Due to the severe weather of the last few days, the special section the third stage has been shortened: the bikes and quads will start from the 130 km point on the original route. The start time has also been put back to 9.50 AM local time. The cars and trucks will set off from the originally planned start, but will finish after 222 km instead of the 245 km originally planned.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #83
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
In 2012 they marked tires on the marathon stage with little adhesive strips, that touched both tire and rim. They inspected them to make sure every competitor still had them at the end of the day.

Here is where a water carrier will be relevant, I actually caught Faria in 2012 as he was taking care of a tire for Cyril. They will be swapping tires tonight in the bivouac...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #84
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #85
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
From Laia's FB....

Look at the tanks hanging around on the truck

Quote:
From Twitter

Quote:
EDIT: And another three...

Stage 2 - Alain Duclos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post

CB1's Storm alert:

Just past midnight here and thunder, lightening wind and big drops of rain. Warning gone round to close awnings and put tables and chairs away as big storm coming. Result I and Gilly have moved into RV on our swags on the floor. Temperature has dropped nicely.

FRR packed away anything that can be blown away. Scott, Jamie and MG battling on to finish the bikes for the 1st Marathon stage starting tomorrow, so tomorrow night an early night for them. 102 do...ne 184, 185 basically done just fitting wheels then need to work on 186's heating problem and finish service. 167 caught fire, minor damage but received outside assistance from locals! was seen by organisers and has been disqualified.

Good night/ morning.
CB1

----------

39 minutes ago near Lusaka, Zambia

Day 3 Updates here.

The crew are surfacing right now. (I can almost smell the smoke from Gilly's first ciggy all the way here in Zambia)

DR starts the liaison at 5:01 from 32nd place, remember this is a marathon stage, so he gets to camp out with all the other riders and has to maintain his own bike.

DR had a good night's sleep despite the weather and is cheerful this AM. Riders in tents could be a bit grumpy.

FRR has lost Peter Hardy due to a fire and subsequent disqualification. There was a high attrition rate yesterday due to dehydration as riders struggled in the dunes.

----------------

Will we see 'MudGate II' tomorrow???? Night all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Okay then, the first two day’s was kids stuff… let’s see how the old school crystal ball-fu is working today.
The first ten riders each separated by two minute start intervals… multiple off piste WP’s and navigation today… yesterday afternoon was a good warm up, but possibly the first “real” difficult nav to be done today?
Aliens Despres and Coma leave the DSS in pos 10 and 9 respectively.
Ahead of them they have three savvy/experienced Dakar navigation riders; Casteu (pos 7) Duclos & Faria (pos 5 &4) lesser navigation experts Gonk (pos 8) and Chaleco (pos 2)
Grabbo (in pos 6), BamBam (3) and Sundersam (1) are the questionmarks?
So… IF the stage becomes a waypoint hunt at some stage… I would expect (hey it’s voodoo… not a science) that Despres and Coma move forward… maybe Gonk savvy enough to coat tail them?
Casteu would likely catch Grabbo… they maybe even collected by the Aliens on the way through?
Faria and Duclos could well move to the front together with Barreda, Chaleco and sam… if they are at all hesitant compromised…
So… Coma/despres could well get back 6 to 8 minutes today on the leader total… the leaders go back 4 to 6 minutes…
Ummm… I predict an Alien in position 3 or 4 in the general classification by tonight.
Chaleco is my bet for the stage win.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudaRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
I may be very mistaken but I thought I recalled a story a few years back that Alain was actually a child in Dakar watching the bike arrive and wanted to race - Have I got him confused with someone else?
You are correct, Alain was born and raised in Africa until he was 18. When he was a a child, the Dakar Rally passed through his village and his family housed one of the moto riders for a night. That was the seed for his passion. Alain is a good friend of mine and an awesome bloke, he basically taught me how to ride a dirt bike (or how to ride a Transalp/AT as a dirt bike ) and he comes every year in Romania, to ride with some of us (as a teacher for what we want to become a rally school) all of this without being paid, he does it out of passion After 3 years of this small event, he told us he comes here every year to ride with his friends (and don't tell Sherco, but he is seriously thinking of buying an old Africa Twin after he retires from racing bad entourage ).
Also, keep in mind that he is probably the only one of the top riders that also has a full time job (as an engineer) and he doesn't race all year through like the other top factory riders.

me and him this year, after a steep hill climb
Quote:
Quote:
Etienne Lavigne in charge:

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 05:43 PM
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #86
Flood OP
F5lood.

CP1 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Pos.NameHoursTimevariation

1810:28:0200:38:02-

310:32:3000:38:3000:00:28

110:47:1200:39:1200:01:10

210:45:2300:39:2300:01:21

Kickin' bootie and taking names...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #87
Flood OP
F5lood.

Problems for Kevin:

@KevinMuggleton
Tire blew into chain onto liason went down hard trying to find new tire and get to special in time

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #88
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Panch massu out

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #89
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Sad day again for Freedom Rally. David Reeve crashed and sustained a knee injury and is out of race.

Kevin, yes is working on getting something worked out with his tire. Don't know specifics, but he seemed hopeful and should be good to go...soon! Dakar men are resourceful!!!
'It's with a sad heart I have to announce David Reeve crashed and sustained knee injury. Otherwise ok, but out of the race. That makes 2 of our team members out so early on. Dakar is so brutal. So proud of all the competitors for participating in such a such a grueling rally. Praying for a speedy recovery to our dear Zambian friend. ''

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #90
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Dutchman Frans Verhoeven has fallen just after CP2 where he was credited with the 10th best time. The Yamaha rider is said to have fractured his arm.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread