Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Overall at the moment
1 003 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) HONDA CRF 450 RALLY 9h56m44s
2 001 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) YAMAHA 450 YZF 10h09m48s +00:13:04
3 002 - MARC COMA (ESP) KTM 450 RALLY FACTORY REPLICA 10h10m40s +00:13:56
4 022 - ALAIN DUCLOS (FRA) SHERCO 450 SR 10h13m22s +00:16:38
5 005 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL) KTM 450 RALLY FACTORY REPLICA 10h15m23s +00:18:39
6 009 - DAVID CASTEU (FRA) KTM 450 RALLY 10h19m00s +00:22:16
Current local time: 14:21 (GMT -3)

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #94
Flood OP
F5lood.

Ned reflects on Barreda and the veterans:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
We all knew he's an amazing quick rider, he's proven that many times before.

To me, the only point he has to prove is that he can be an amazing, quick, and consistent rider, and that point is still almost 2 weeks away.

I'm more impressed by CdP and MC's ability to filter to the front without any particular drama... I imagine they are more interested in each other's relative position, than they are in Barreda's. Their money, and mine, is that he has drama sometime in the time remaining. Hard to argue that 13 minutes is a durable lead at this point in the rally, with those two breathing down your neck.

But, definitely an impressive performance. And 13 minutes, is 13 minutes- a lot, in this company!

Also interesting when you consider that we all "knew" CdP was headed for Honda last year... interesting that he has taken a clearly smaller program (with Yamaha) and still found a way to put together his trademark consistency and success. I'll be curious if he can keep it up.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #95
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

Dakar Stage 3, Marathon Day 1: Barreda wins with altitude record

Today's stage, part one of the first marathon stage with no team service, was characterized with the highest ever racing altitude in Dakar history. Facing the 6.960 m summit of the Anconcagua, americas highest mountain, the motorcycle riders had to cross a pass at over 4.300 m altidute in trial conditions. As many riders are still on the way or got lost,
Joan Barreda showed his brilliance in riding technique and navigation skills by winning the stage in front of Despres and Coma, increasing his overall lead to over 13 minutes, winning his second stage in three days.
Paulo Goncalves, together with a group of other riders, including his HRC team mate Sam Sunderland, arrived with over 2 hours delay, as the went downhill in a wrong canyon and could not go up again.

Joan "Bang Bang" Barreda: "Today was really unbelievable, the conditions extreme in any direction. After the stage started, I could soon pass Chaleco Lopez, and followed Sam Sunderland in the riverbeds until he took a wrong turn. Opening the track, the uphill sections got more and more steep and extreme. In trial-type conditions, I had to stay fullgas in second gear to make the steepest sections and keep it all together to make it over the loose rolling stones. It was very exhausting in the extreme altitude, and I needed to stay very calm to not make mistakes. As I was over the highest point, the navigation downhills was getting very delicate, with many changes of directions and possibly wrong ways to follow on very steep trails. I stopped and made sure doing the right way several times, and and the end it payed out to keep a cool head. The last part down in the valley was more easy, and I opened the gas again. I think today many riders will have extreme difficulties, and I am happy I improved a lot my physical conditions training hard the last year."

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #96
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
Ouch, though this could have been a lot worse. Shame to see the flames and the ADV sticker in the same shot.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #97
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Well, here's to hoping they fix WP tracking, and everybody gets through today's stage allright.

WP1 @ 32km
WP2 @ 74km
WP3 @ 128km
CP1/refuel @ 176km
WP4 @ 185km (or @ CP1)
CP2 @ 207km
WP5 @ 224km (or @ CP2)
CP3 @ 230km
WP6 @ 251km
WP7 @ 291km
WP8 @ 332km
ASS @ 353km

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #98
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Update on Italian riders withdrawal:
Toia fell hard during yesterday's stage and fractured a scapula. Managed anyway to finish the course witht the bike, and got to the medical tent on his legs.
De Filippo finished yesterday's stage as well but suffered from severe dehydration and was not able to start today.
Talini (58 years old Dakar "rookie") retired for exhaustion before finishing the stage and got earlier at the bivouac with his bike.

Also, even if he is listed in the standings as arrived at ASS, Alex Zanotti (TM factory rider) have been disqualified because did not reach the start of the special stage in time. He was the rider with Kevin and had a problem with his tyre as well.

From Worldrallyraid.com

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #99
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Bit of re-capping to do. From this morning and this afternoon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
From David's team:

"DR's bike exhaust burnt a hole in reserve water tank.
Freedom Rally Racing has improved the KTM Factory issue and branded it accordingly.
Thus DR now riding with a FRR improved KTM Factory Water Tank"

SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
El piloto francès Gilles Gard complicadìsimo en las dunas

French rider Gilles Gard having a complicated time in the dunes.

SS2
Quote:
Quote:
The dutch editing
Day 2

Starting S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Residuos Peligrosos, that makes her TOXIC

Quote:
Here is a cool one I think from Stage 1.

SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post

SS1 Winner (cars)
Quote:

Carlos Sousa
Day 1 El Cielo
Day 2 El Infierno
He's out.
SS2 Quote:
Quote:
#261 JOSE LUIS ESPINOSA GARCIA (ESP)
"Esta carrera no es como las demás, vi dos coches caer al precipicio"

"This race is not like the others, I saw two cars fall off the cliff"

http://www.teinteresa.es/deportes/ca...061894206.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Linked article translated by google:

"After the second stage of the Dakar 2014, I can say that it has detected that this race is not like the others . The 380 kilometers of special yesterday between San Rafael and San Luis were very long and started with problems. To my roadbook engine was not working, so I had to move it manually.

"Once I fixed the first problem, the visitors through the first 50 kilometers, a motorcyclist crashed into my wheel and bolted . I went to help him, but I was fine. I apologized saying it was the result of fatigue. I accepted the apology because they were fully justified.

"The later stage into the desert for approximately 159 kilometers. There was morally devastated people, lying at the side of the 'waypoints'. Pilots saw them symptoms of dehydration and fatigue result from heat. Some bikes had left buried and me made ​​the gesture of the thumb down. I asked if they needed help and I replied that only needed water and they were for them.

"Upon completion of the wilderness, at kilometer 311, elapsed by a dry river gorge next to a cliff and I saw only one car and motorcycle. At mile 365, twice sounded the sentinel came because they wanted to go ahead and hire twice those cars fell off the cliff because the passage was very narrow.
When I was trying to help the sentinel rang again. Came another car. I stood before him and crossed my arms saying that it could not happen, but he ignored me and the two fell. I could have cost lives . People helped me and helped them. Thank god we were all right. Finally I could go through the site successfully."
Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #100
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

In reference to Joan "Bang Bang Bull" Barreda Boart, or Bull.
Quote:
The BULL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon
"Summon your bull powers!"
"What do you think I am doing?!"
Earlier on S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Robby Gordon's credit card being declined at the fuel station is funny?

Turned out fine and he did much better.

Quote:
from Gonk FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
fb: LATEST NEWS: Sadly we have to report that both R2R cars are out of the Dakar Rally. Ben & Barney’s car suffered terminal mechanical failure on Stage 2 and Tony & Quin’s car finished Stage 2, but suffered damage to roll cage meaning it was unsafe to continue racing. The T4 truck remains in the race and we will send a further update asap.

bummer
SS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Oriol in the first part of the stage....

Quote:
14:00 Bikes: Pizzolito off course
Argentinean biker Javier Pizzolito has descended into the valley after CP2 instead of remaining on the crest of the hill along which the route of the special runs. He is about to join a small group made up by Sunderland, Grabham, Gonçalves and Pedrero Garcia. It seems difficult to climb back up out of the dip by the same route, so the riders will have to follow the dry river bed in the bottom of the valley.
Quote:
found this about Pablo Quintanilla

bad google translate - sorry

Pablo Quintanilla was doing a great race in the 2014 Dakar . The Chilean rider was on the twenty-location and aprontes standings, including victory in the Challenge included Inca, did think it was going to have a great career.

However, Tuesday was forced to withdraw from the competition by a blow on the route of the third stage, comprising between San Rafael and San Juan . The pilot tried to overtake another bike and there you hit a stone in his right hand. The fifth region had to be moved to bivouac trip and was attended by doctors, who confirmed that there was still competing.

"I was going to another bike and jumped me live rock in his hand. Could not continue and I am now waiting for the diagnosis. It's part of the paste and what we do. Was bad luck and not my mistake as last year "Quintanilla said after receiving medical care.

After failing to follow the difficult nut contesting the national pilot test immediately return to Santiago.

Although the diagnosis is pending, the pilot said he suffered a "fracture" in one of his fingers. With this, it adds to withdrawals of Christian Peralta and Francisco Massu. Another who left was Luis Eguiguren in cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
More from Kev - The tire was destroyed when it touched the chain. Like Ned said, the bead won't hold. In Kev's words "it wouldn't stay on no matter how much French wire I found"
Ugh...
Quote:
Quote:
That doesn't sound good. Keeping fingers crossed. :worried
Quote:
Faria

SS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post

de Azevedo #29 FB Honda Brasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Because I also love racing motorcycles.

The problem I had.....and it caused friction between me and my Dad (mechanic and also an engineer) was that I wanted everything my way. Once he put me in my place a time or two and a few others pulled me to one side and had a word, I realised what to let go and was not important.

It was so important to have him there and have his skills. Racing would have been so much harder without my Dad, period. I could run things by him and likewise if he was unsure, he'd run them by me, nothing got left to chance. He did not interfere with Mousse changing, road book marking or my food / hydration regime and I did not interfere with bike fixing, servicing or preparation.

Working together on the World Rounds before the race set us up perfect for the Dakar. He knew how I liked the bike and it was always like new every morning when I threw a leg over it, an incredible feeling. I remember one day, he even replaced damaged stickers.

We are closer now than ever, thanks to the Dakar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladtux
Quote:
Quads.

Tweet:

Marcos Patronelli aparentemente abandona este #dakar2014 #radiomaray @radiomaray

Marco Patronelli is out
His Quad fall from a Cliff!!!

But he jump before the Cliff

(radio Maray)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #101
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Mauricio Gallardo ‏@damonf1
#Dakar2014 en principio el portugués Ruben Faria está lúcido, con varios traumatismos. Se someterá a rayos y scanner para evaluar lesiones.

In principle Ruben Faria is lucid, with several injuries. He will undergo CT diagnosis to assess injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
I am in San Juan. everything went well, finally almost. I was a little scared at first because there was a crossing of Rio with a lot of water so I decided to run cool, my hand to avoid damaging the bike. Finally, seeing that the others were either navigational errors or fell, I decided to take a faster pace. Chaleco joined me in the last 40-50 kilometers and we drove together. So start of this rally is going great, the peaks suit me well and above all I do not take my head, I ride to feel, I feel safe on the bike, I do not have strength and I the margin. I intend to continue in this state of mind, I forbid me anything, I'm just confident. Physically I'm OCD and I look forward to more.
Thank you for your messages I receive, it warms the heart.

Alain Duclos

Frans Verhoefen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ54 View Post
Just got word from #12 himself. He sent a SMS:
He doesn't suffer a broken arm but a broken elbow and more important .....a broken ego !!

Stage 2
Quote:
Dakar Site:

Bing Translation
Walter van Sinten is last night not to come the finish of stage 2. Marcel Vermeij spoke to him today in the bivouac: "driving went well but I have a navigational error made in the dunes which I completly had lost his way. In the end I came to sit still without water whereby also continue was impossible. Then I called the helicopter that me and the engine from the desert. " At a later time there will be a voicemail.

Walter van Sinten is gisteravond niet aan de finish gekomen van etappe 2. Marcel Vermeij sprak hem vandaag in het bivak: "Het rijden ging goed maar in de duinen heb ik een navigatiefout gemaakt waardoor ik compleet verdwaald was. Op den duur kwam ik ook nog zonder water te zitten waardoor verder doorgaan onmogelijk was. Toen heb ik de helikopter opgeroepen die mij en de motor uit de woestijn gehaald hebben." Op een later moment zal er een voicemail volgen.
Quote:
figured out what happened to Ingo Zahn yesterday:

Deutsches Dakar Aufgebot hat sich halbiert: Ingo Zahn ist nach einem Unfall nicht mehr dabei. Auf der zweiten Dakar Etappe erlitt Ingo Zahn nach einem Sturz einen Bruch der Schulter sowie von drei Rippen.

Ein unter dem Sand verborgener Fels schleuderte Ingo über den Lenker seiner 450 KTM Rallye. Das Motorrad traf danach den Piloten so unglücklich, dass es zu den Verletzungen kam. Den Rallyeorganisatoren gelang es, den Verletzten recht schnell zu bergen und in ein lokales Krankenhaus zu überführen. Dort wurden dann die Verletzungen festgestellt.

quick translation:
he went over the handlebars and got hit by the bike, which resulted in a broken shoulder and 3 broken ribs. After a visit in the hospital, he's on the way home, and plans to be back next year.

more here:

link
Quote:
Today I found very, very stressful. Only able to pop in and check where we are from time to time but, each time more drama unfolded.

Blown up tyres, quads crashing down mountains, broken Verhoefen, Sam AWOL for like more than 2 hours with half of the top 10, Faria crashing badly Geniel de Villiers broken car, flat tyres, steep mountains, lost riders. Add to that the snippets of news coming in from yesterday.

In the words of Vinnie Jones: "Its been emotional"

But there is some good news. 18h34 Local time and we have 100 riders in the ASS. 54 still to go, less the broken ones.

Spare a thought for our Mongolian competitor #180 Boldbaatar DAMDINKHORLOO (Now say that 5 times really fast ) who MADE it in !! This is his third attempt at finishing this race I believe - he just does not give up.

Lets bring in the rest with a steady slow clap:

Here is a pic I have been wanting to post since the Fr 4 footage but have been too busy: The truck that wanted its belly scratched being extracted last night.

Impressive. They snapped the rope a couple of times.
Quote:

Imagen del vuelco del KAMAZ de Mardeev en la etapa de ayer pic.twitter.com/spsKp1jpQo #Dakar vía @justF1yna

Mardaeev out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escuchamente View Post
Stage 2 had quite the attrition rate...20 bikes.
How many will join them after today?

stage N° Name Mark
2 136 KAZUHITO FUKAKUSA (JPN) HONDA
2 167 PETER HARDY (USA) KTM
2 115 PHILIPPE PRUNIER (FRA) YAMAHA
2 161 DAVID MALARTRE (FRA) YAMAHA
2 84 INGO ZAHN (DEU) KTM
2 188 FREDERIC MILLET (FRA) KTM
2 153 SMITH JAMIE (GBR) KTM
2 20 PAL ANDERS ULLEVALSETER (NOR) KTM
2 183 DAVID TIEPPO (ARG) KTM
2 137 CRISTIAN PERALTA (CHL) HONDA
2 178 PAOLO LIBRALESSO (ITA) YAMAHA
2 130 GILLES GARD (FRA) YAMAHA
2 166 LUIS CARLOS CALDERAY GONZALEZ (ESP) YAMAHA
2 89 HERVE THEURIOT (FRA) KTM
2 195 FRANCISCO MASSU (CHL) YAMAHA
2 156 CARLO SEMINARA (ITA) YAMAHA
2 21 ALESSANDRO BOTTURI (ITA) SPEEDBRAIN
2 187 WALTER VAN SINTEN (NLD) HONDA
2 140 ERICK MEIER VON SCHIERENBECK (PER) SUZUKI
2 182 SERGIO CERDERA (ARG) KAWASAKI

from:http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/w...kes.html#ancre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Great shot of Bam Bam from ES... that's a bit high up!

On Kevin Muggleton:
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Also, even if he is listed in the standings as arrived at ASS, Alex Zanotti (TM factory rider) have been disqualified because did not reach the start of the special stage in time. He was the rider with Kevin and had a problem with his tyre as well.

From Worldrallyraid.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
From Helder's fb page....if someone can translate this....

Hoje foi uma etapa dificílima, disputada até 4300 metros de altitude, de extrema dureza e muito exigente na navegação. Passei por alguns contratempos, perdi bastantes minutos, mas consegui chegar ao bivouac.
Desejo as rápidas melhoras ao Ruben.
Até amanhã.
Today was an uphill step, held up to 4,300 meters altitude, extreme hardness and very demanding navigation. I went through some setbacks, I lost quite a few minutes, but I managed to get to the bivouac.
I wish a speedy recovery to the Ruben.
See you tomorrow.
Local on a Dakar bike
Quote:
"Una etapa muy dura ah ah ah ah..."

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo&Piglet
Quote:
Do we know if the riders have access to fluids for their bikes?
I imagine the ELF truck is there to distribute oil (and take away the old stuff)...

Interesting that this year, the ASS is directly at the marathon bivouac - therefore no chance for the service teams to tweak the bikes before the enter the bivouac like last year... However, I notice there is a short liaison tomorrow before the DSS...

I wonder if there will be eyes on the ground tomorrow to ensure noone get's new tyres (for example) after all?

Jx
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Laia on fb

Hi friends!! First part of my mission for today and tomorrow accomplished. I'm very happy for my race and for my result and the overal position. The stage was very very difficult!! Too technical track!! Many people have suffered today. Tomorrow, more!! Goooooo!!!
Quote:
Palante

Quote:
Majestic in absolute with this approach to the Andes with the track, fesh fesh (soft sand), short grass, rios 40 cm deep, this stage forced us to "climb" a elevation of 3,000 m from the halfway and go "touch" the clouds before diving towards the finish.

Wow!

Overall, the day went well, although I was a little bit slowed as I felt twice, not seriously do not worry. I also broke the chain guide. An annoyance that forced me to ride cooler. Above all, thanks to the team of Jean-Marc Fortin who fixed the exhaust pipe. Without this valuable gesture, I will have been unable to continue.

Quote:
Jeremias

El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUDO View Post
CYRIL DESPRES Stage 3 REPORT

San Rafael > San Juan
Connection 292 km
Special stage 373 km
Total 665 km

Just when you think the race is starting to settle down the Dakar bites back with a startling series of surprises, with difficult navigation and technical enduro terrain leaving yesterday’s rankings is chaos. The good news is that this evening Cyril Despres moves up from 8th to 2nd overall, 13’04 behind Barreda. The bad news is that Frans Verhoven’s (Yamaha Netherlands Verhoven Team) race has come to a premature end after he crashed out with a broken elbow. For his part Olivier Pain continues to climb up the leader board and is this evening in 8th place overall (at 36’33) while Michael Metge ‘did the job’ bringing home an ‘as new’ set of tyres to this evening’s marathon stage for Cyril to use tomorrow.

Cyril Despres

"Today’s special has to go straight into the Top 5 most stunning specials I have done in 13 years of racing rallies – and in that time I’ve been to some pretty amazing places! As announced, the recent rains had really cut up the first part of the special and the riding was far from easy. Then at kilometre 299 we came to this incredible 3 kilometre climb. It was a really really hard to get up and I can only begin to imagine how many riders will go out of the race at that point – and it’s not just the amateurs who are going to struggle. Then after that we rode for about 60 kilometres on stunning tracks over a series of mountain ridges, as beautiful as they were difficult to navigate. Towards the end I came up behind and past both David Casteu and Marc Coma. All in all an excellent day that more than makes up for yesterday’s disappointments."

Michael Metge

"This morning I gave Cyril my word I’d give him some ‘prefect’ tyres this evening and I’m proud to say I was able to keep that promise. I started off really slowly, perhaps too slowly, and then found an optimum pace using the ‘berms’ left by the riders in front of me so as to keep my speed as constant as possible and stay off the brakes. The other big positive from today was the route designed by David Castera, which was just amazing. Today we went to places you could only ever go on a motorcycle, preferably a trials bike, and it was a unique experience. And just to top it all, apart from swapping over our wheels, Cyril and I have very little to do to the bikes. We’ll do our road books now and then change the oil when it cools down a little."
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Overwhelming feeling I have while watching images on EuroSport is of how little of this event we experience by following the WPs, CPs, and looking at computer screens ...
They traverse such massive amount of landscape and have so many incredible situations from dusk 'till down. Every day.
It's mind bogging.
Yes, it is.

This is the part of Dakar that must be lived to really be understood. You come into the bivouac each night and it seems like you have lived a lifetime since you saw your friends last. You not only saw, but ate and breathed and felt, more landscapes that day than most people see in a year.

Further, most days, you have seen the remnants of crashes, seen someone who shared your dream, the dream you have nurtured and held more closely than anything else, you have seen their end of that shared dream crushed. Which is both heavy and light, because you have a moment of empathy and then put up a wall to keep your own dream alive. You move on and harden yourself and keep going and after a moment it seems like nothing at all. You go back to greedily inhaling landscapes and vistas and continents, going further and faster than seems possible to sustain.

It is such a cool f#cking race. Sorry to swear, but that's just the only way to describe it.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #102
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Just a comment from the peanut gallery here but maybe I know something from experience and being a scholar at this game of rally.

Joan Barreda has done the work and now the rally is his to lose. All he has to do is follow. And unless Despres and Coma team up to play a game with him, it would be difficult for either of those guys to ride 10-minutes faster then Barreda if he is keying off their navigation. He just has to follow and check and keep his bike running for the rest of the rally. So Simple! Right!!!

So many young guys get into this position ( I threw away a Nevada Rally lead of 8 minutes, idiot move!) because they forget to slow down. I hope he has good people around him to coach him. I know the Speedbrain team has some experienced guys there. He has taken the risk, now it is the others turn.

When Roma was on the bikes he was famous for getting the lead then trying to manage it, but having a difficult time most of the time.

Peterhansel owned this technique and it showed in the results.

The best part of all of this is if he does follow guys like Cyril, especially Cyril, watch them complain. But if you are a good navigator, you can play games and turn the tables. This rally, at this stage, is now down to navigation for everyone but Joan Barreda.

Good times, love to see it!

Quote:

Mallemotoman
second in the G2 class 2 and first in malle moto and 27 overall
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s...kes.html#ancre

Dutch Robert Van Pelt Honda etapa del Dakar 2014.
Dakar 2014 - 3ª Etapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
I just got information what happened to our friend Jan Vesely (private rider from Liberec, Czech Rep.).
He had almost no problems today. Tried to speed up after delays from yesterday, where he spent more time helping people then allows regulations. He was doing better on CP1 and arrived on the top of the highest hill in the special. There was "an organiser" as he call authorities from ASO and was showing racers direction. On the top of the hill appeared in GPS arrow to the finish - 8km. Direction of the arrow was matching what the person was showing. Angle from roadbook was matching and there were many tracks leading down that way. So he descent and with him about 5 other riders. In the walley was Ruben Faria´s motorcycle wreck also. The walley changed to a narrow canyon between 15m high rocks with just 1m distance between. Impossible to continue - dead end. In time when they rescued them by helikopter, there was at least 20 bikes. BTW, they spotted Patronelli´s crash there also. All this shit happened on one place.
He is now in marathon bivouac. Bikes will rescue tomorrow by helikopter. It´s end for all of them. In the bivouac is nobody from ORG, no jury no chance to do anything. Simply end of the race for them. Jan´s bike is untouched, perfect shape, he is in good shape as well - just cannot race anymore.

Regards to F5 team from him specifically (he wrote - regards to people from Adventure Rider who follow me and followed me in past years). Maybe you remember this shot, what he shooted for you:

This one is from 2012:

The following is a VERY GOOD summary of Stage 3: Go to the link.

Ktm Feedback
Yamaha feedback
Honda Feedback
Speed brain feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Strange remote-spectating another event in the Southern hemisphere, where it is also summer but about 16 hours behind us time-wise. Anyways, here's a link to some updated news, especially for the Aussies:
http://www.mcnews.com.au/dakar-2014-...-extends-lead/

Joan Barreda set a new record today. He became the first Dakar rider to reach an altitude of 4,300 metres on a special stage. This unofficial honour gave him an unbeatable preview of the spectacular landscapes on offer at this height in the Andes Mountain range. Although a keen geographer, it is most certainly the sporting performance he accomplished today that will satisfy the Spanish Rider. Impressive throughout the 243 km of a special stage slightly shortened in order to avoid unstable terrain on the first part of the route, “Bang Bang” again made a big impact, picking up his second stage victory this year after having opened the way for the majority of the day. With a lead of 4’41’’ over Cyril Despres on arrival at the bivouac which marks the mid-way point in the marathon stage, Barreda opened a gap of 13’04 over the title holder. The Frenchman can consider himself to have enjoyed a good stage: 8th in the general standings this morning, he is now the closest pursuer of the race leader. This tough stage has thus revealed the best technicians in the discipline. The day’s leading trio, like the podium in the general standings, was completed by Spaniard Marc Coma, who is 52” behind Despres.

Behind them, Alain Duclos and Chaleco Lopez are still in with a shout, less than 20 minutes behind, but there will already be plenty of disillusioned riders, even before they tackle the evening on their own without assistance. The dream is over for Ruben Faria, who has dropped out of the Dakar after a fall, as well as for Frans Verhoeven, who injured his shoulder. Still stuck 30 km from the finishing line almost two hours after the leaders finished, Portugal’s Paulo Gonçalves lost all hope of final victory and the highest step on the podium will be also inaccessible for Sam Sunderland and Juan Pedrero, who have still not yet finished at the time of writing. David Casteu can still hope for a place of honour, 22’ behind the race leader, as can Olivier Pain, who lies 36’ behind. It will however be very difficult for Helder Rodrigues, relegated to more than an hour of his team-mate Joan Barreda after just 3 stages!

The route to the isolated bivouac in Barréal also proved to be cruel in the quad category, which lost its emblematic champion. Marcos Patronelli was forced to drop out after suffering from dehydration. The hopes for the title have also evaporated for Lucas Bonetto, who was still stuck 100 km from the finishing line at the end of the afternoon. Rafal Sonik has benefitted from their misfortunes, inheriting both the stage win and the lead in the general standings.

Joan “Bang Bang” Barreda: “Today was really unbelievable, the conditions were extreme by any means. After the stage started, I could soon pass Chaleco Lopez to follow Sam Sunderland in the riverbeds until he took a wrong turn. Opening the track, the uphill sections got more and more steep and extreme. In trial-type conditions I had to stay full-throttle in second gear to make the steepest sections and keep it all together to make it over the loose rolling stones. It was very exhausting in the high altitude and I needed to stay very calm to avoid mistakes. As I was over the highest point, the navigation downhill was getting very delicate, with many changes of directions and possibly wrong ways to follow on very steep trails. I stopped and made sure I was choosing the right way several times. Eventually it paid out to keep a cool head. The last part down in the valley was more easy and I put the hammer down again. I think today many riders will have extreme difficulties. I am happy I improved a lot my physical conditions training hard the last year.”

Much more of the drama here http://www.mcnews.com.au/dakar-2014-...-extends-lead/
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #103
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Here's a section of Stage 3 from today. Checkout the hillclimb towards the (north) end of the Google Earth track (same place as snapshot from video). The top is 4400m high (14,400ft), the height of the tallest mountain in the continental USA. This GE track is just a small portion of the whole day, but pretty amazing terrain. I mapped it last night, but didn't believe they would really go there, so I assumed I was in the wrong place and quit mapping. Now I see on video that they did indeed go there. Impressive!

Google Earth File

Quote:
Bike liason, morning something like this:

View Larger Map

Afternoon, something like this:

29°32'47.44"S 68°32'25.05"W meetup with the road and go to 29°12'40.25"S 67°26'33.28"W The maps won't route directly to the airport, but with the extra ~5k it works out to be about 150km.

View Larger Map

Coming down this wash maybe:

29°34'10.89"S 68°49'6.85"W

Great audio clips and interviews for Stage 3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Ok, I'm back and caught up (mostly , not the video yet). But, updates from Darryl Curtis just came in. Lets see if I can link them properly.

----------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Alex Doringer San Juan - goo.gl/ctXbVw

-------------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Dave Reeve Crash San Juan - goo.gl/YdU888

----------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Glyn Hall San Juan - goo.gl/1GyhEk

-------------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Darryl Curtis San Juan - goo.gl/1hvbUw

Tracks and route.
Quote:
Here's the closest I could come for the first part of stage 4 for motos. There's a cool slot wash coming into Bella Vista where there will be a lot of spectators watching.

Google Earth file for part of motos only Stage 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Quote:
I found one of the lost bikes. When I zoomed in with Google Earth it was clearly there in the ravine.

Oh yeah! good one! looks like a Honda.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #104
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I'm not a quad guy but this story on France4 was pretty cool.

Just strap the tank on. #293 Matyas Somfai had carb/tank problems, tried fuel in a Camelback then finally strapped one of his tanks to his body to get the gravity feed -- all while towing #262 as far as he could. It was too much for his quad and finally had to leave #262 Alexis Hernandez. Alexis made it in +6:27, Matyas not past CP1 yet, probably out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundrybasher View Post
Any one remember where that clip of Bort on the hilclimb was from today?
Found it
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19...-san-juan_auto
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #105
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Stage 4: Whats on the menu?

Images courtesy of Uller

Its a stage over 657km long for the cars (not shown); this will be their own little marathon test.

For the bikes, I looked at Scott's amazing work, and it looks like there will be some nice long straight sections with an HP (off piste) section accross a wide plain covered with fesh-fesh and lots of rocks. hard on the wrists and very hard if you have no tyres.

59Km liaison 352km long followed by a 151km liaison

My guess is they will cut it short at the end. Either way the tyres must last another 562km

Im going to catch some zzz's see you all in a few hrs
Closed Thread