Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,331
I live in AZ, so no such problems. But I have 3 scooters in what used to be my living room. I ripped out the carpet and put down commercial grade VCT (vinyl composition tile) It is now my bike workshop in the summer, when temperatures reach close to 120 degrees F. I keep it 70 degrees F inside. I'm divorced, so I don't have the wife problem.

A dipstick heater is a good idea, they come as an option on almost all cars. They just keep the oil warm, not hot. I would increase the amount of antifreeze to water to about 70%, about the max recommended. You can also put a kerosene heater in the garage, somewhere near the scoot. Those things make an amazing amount of heat.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,381
I think royal purple and other guys make waterless base anti freeze. Since I ve had cars freeze up once or twice I have to say Just pop the rad cap. Leave it off in case it did really freeze solid. That the thing it can ice up but if it not I feel frozen solid then there no real issues. I don't know what a block heater would do to a bike. Nor do I know what a battery blanket plug in heater would do. One of the ones that you rap you car battery in and plug it in to keep it warm. Can't see that harming a bike. may or may not do anything . . Best thing if you re really worried is a waterless aniti freeze . THen again would just draining it for a week or so really harm an engine? Can't see it rusting up etc in that time.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #18
scootrboi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I think royal purple and other guys make waterless base anti freeze. Since I ve had cars freeze up once or twice I have to say Just pop the rad cap. Leave it off in case it did really freeze solid. That the thing it can ice up but if it not I feel frozen solid then there no real issues. I don't know what a block heater would do to a bike. Nor do I know what a battery blanket plug in heater would do. One of the ones that you rap you car battery in and plug it in to keep it warm. Can't see that harming a bike. may or may not do anything . . Best thing if you re really worried is a waterless aniti freeze . THen again would just draining it for a week or so really harm an engine? Can't see it rusting up etc in that time.
We got -21. Whew.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
We got -21. Whew.
Since you used a premix that should be 50/50, no worries. You got some good suggestions, but it would have been unnecessary extra work. If you told me the temperatures were going to hit -40 I might have agreed with the trouble light/tarp idea or a kerosene heater.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 271
So is that -21 wind chill or actual chill? Yeah, it got cold here in Santa Cruz, too. I think it dipped into the lower 50s last night.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #21
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
We had a miserable night down here: 36F.