ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Treewakr OP
throttle junkie

Oddometer: 33
Abbott Road

To you Portland area riders. I was doing some exploring out around the Abbott Rd. area today. Is it legal to ride a licensed dualsport on that road? The signage on the west end was surprisingly negative in that regard. I'm not above bending the rules from time to time, but I'm really not that familiar with that area.
Treewakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,745
Two days? really? nobody? Maybe everybody is out riding.

Yes, you will be legal. Sorry it took so long for an answer.

The road is washed out in one section, but a workaround was built recently, and passage was possible even before that.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3473

I should toss in a disclaimer, in case the situation has changed recently: I am not familiar with that sign; what did it say?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Treewakr OP
throttle junkie

Oddometer: 33
As I recall, several signs on a tree. Three signs denoting no jeeps, no atvs, and no m/c, with slash icons. Also a sign stating "open year round to non motorized traffic". However, on the east end of the road, only a sign saying "road closed to thru traffic.
Treewakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treewakr View Post
As I recall, several signs on a tree. Three signs denoting no jeeps, no atvs, and no m/c, with slash icons. Also a sign stating "open year round to non motorized traffic". However, on the east end of the road, only a sign saying "road closed to thru traffic.
Oops.

I guess you should forget what I said about being legal.

Or, maybe you are legal coming from 58 as long as you aren't planning on going all the way through.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,104
Hmmm...I've ridden that a number of times the last few years and never noticed any "No M/C" sign. I start at the N.Fork Rd on hiway 224 and then it becomes Forest Service road 4610 and then work my way east to Abbott Rd. and then High Rock. A great road and I've seen other mc and atv riders out there.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
Hmmm...I've ridden that a number of times the last few years and never noticed any "No M/C" sign. I start at the N.Fork Rd on hiway 224 and then it becomes Forest Service road 4610 and then work my way east to Abbott Rd. and then High Rock. A great road and I've seen other mc and atv riders out there.
That is how I've gone. I've even had a chat with a ranger along the road.

I recall a few places where roads/trails branched off, and those had 'closed' signs

Ranger didn't express any further interested once I explained I'd ridden out to the slip, but it was too greasy to try alone, so I was headed back to 4610
Dragon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
CatFlap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I've never seen any signs that would apply to a street legal dual sport to keep you from going all the way through from the west.
I was out there a couple weeks ago and did notice a "No ATVs past this point" sign on Abbot though. A couple miles before the slip on the west side of it.
But that just means it has to be a licensed street legal vehicle since you are leaving the OHV area. (Or at least what there is of an OHV area, not many trails out there yet and not very well marked so far as to what are legal motorized trails if you don't have a map for them)

You do see a lot of the signs with the Jeep, ATV, and motorcycle with the slashes through them on the little side roads/two tracks though just because they are trying to keep vehicles off them to let the forest reclaim them.

I remember seeing the "Road closed 2 miles ahead" or something like that sign on the east side of the slip once about 5 years ago.
That was after I had just went through it in my 4x4 from the west end and noticed the sign in my sideview mirror as I went by.....