ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 308
Riding PWN starting July 11-12 690 ADV

Hey locals

I am picking up a new to me 690 very well set up for off road in Seattle. Looking at riding the WABDR and maybe parts of the OBDR.

Plan is one day ride on pavement to get some confidence in the bike and see some friends then hit dirt.

No plan no real schedule except flight out of Denver July 26.

I'd be interested in meeting people for any BCDR or west parts of TAT heading east.

Any suggestions? Any rides I should be aware of?

Thanks
Smitty
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Wow, a week and no replies? Where's our PNW hospitality?

First off, get out of Seattle. Head west on Highway 2, get off at Smithbrook road, and take the fun way to Lake Wenatchee. From there, head into Leavenworth through Plain, have lunch on the upper deck at Gustav's, and admire the view. Continue west on 2, and at the third traffic light in Cashmere (MP 112?) turn left up Nahahum Canyon and follow the WABDR to Chelan.
From there, you can ride the WABDR to Canada, or if you want to go south, instead of turning at Cashmere go through Wenatchee and pick up the trail southbound.
PM me if you need more local info, I live in Cashmere but Mrs1911fan and I are leaving Thursday the 10 to ride the north half southbound, starting at Nighthorse and ending at home.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
What 1911 said...

Smitty,

Be sure to ask 1911 about the route South of Wenatchee for the fire damage re-routes. For scheduling, note that the WABCDR is much faster than the more rugged OBCDR. The WABDR can be done in 3 days on a 690 but the OBDR might need a couple more days. Do all of the tasty bits and you could have a couple of glorious weeks of riding. Have fun and let us know what you enjoyed. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitdave View Post
Smitty,

Be sure to ask 1911 about the route South of Wenatchee for the fire damage re-routes.

If you're interested, PM me and we'll swap phone numbers. Just remember I'll be out of touch during the days for Fri/Sat/Sun as I'll be out riding the WABDR. I'll have cell service at night though.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Abarhan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
tons of good rides and food in the area, hit me up when your in the Everett/Seattle area and ill get you some GPS tracks
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Thx Guys

1911 Road 2 last August and it was great and had planned to ride 20 but it was closed due to mud slides.

My two ideas for this ride are as follows:

1. Head North put of Seattle (have friends with a live aboard boat near Everett) may stay with them for a night. Head west on 20 and pick up WABDR riding it all the way South to OR. Then parts of the OBDR until I intersect TAT and ride parts of that.

2. Head South and Slab it to West Linn OR and stay with a friend for a night then head to WABDR and ride it all heading North. Pop into Canada hit Nelson and then go meet some friends in Glacier Natl Park.

I realize both routes are a lot to take on from July 11-25(ride-able days). Flight out of Denver on 26. I have accepted if I am running short on time slabbing it for the last couple of days. Back plan if I hit tons of shit weather and have mech probs is to get to a friends in Reno and hop a flight to Denver.

ALL VERY SUBJECT TO CHANGE!! I am for sure leaning toward option 1. Adding a lot of miles and pavement heading into Canada.

This bike is new to me so I thought WABDR was a good start and confidence builder. I am solo so I need to pick my battles too. Coming off an F800 so should be a quick learning curve

Hope run across some other riders for difficult sections and for current trail information.

Sorry so wordy. Feel free to give me some input on my desires vs reality. I welcome local knowledge and input.

Thanks
Smitty
Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Meet the new girl on July 9 in Mill Creek. Thinking the 9th and 10th to get sorted.

Getting valves checked and tires changed before I hit the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarhan View Post
tons of good rides and food in the area, hit me up when your in the Everett/Seattle area and ill get you some GPS tracks
Old 07-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,927
A lot of the higher roads like the Lolo Motorway will be just getting open about the tme you are coming through.
I will be trying to ride over the Lolo Motorway on the 12th or 19-20 if the snow isn't gone on the 12th.

The palouse riders thread is a good place to find someone to ride with in the Lewiston, central Idaho area or just good information on routes.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...436284&page=81

The Magruder Corridor road will be open or close to open around the 19-20 time frame also.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Good info

Please let me know what you find out on the 12th.

Being solo I will have to pick my battles. If its sketchy and remote I may just have to turn around. I will see how it all plays out. Fighting through snow at high elevation isnt on the top of my to do list but could still happen.

thx
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Wild Fires and coolant leaks...

have caused some delays and changes in plans.

Sitting in Winthrop WA right now and looking for a good mostly off road route to Sand Point.

Any suggestions?

Hitting there road tomorrow am. Currently scouring forums for GPS tracks
Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Road2Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Good to meat you.

It was good to meet you in Colville when you passed through. I wish that I had not been working so I could have been helpful with that leak. I hope that you got things sorted out.

You have great bike for your ride. I plan on following your adventures as time allows.

jerry

Road2Adv screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 08:03 AM
Road2Adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Thx

Thx for your time and help.

Leak was fixed by replacing the radiator in a parking lot in Coeur d lene.

So should be no more prob there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road2Adv View Post
It was good to meet you in Colville when you passed through. I wish that I had not been working so I could have been helpful with that leak. I hope that you got things sorted out.

You have great bike for your ride. I plan on following your adventures as time allows.

jerry
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #13
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,387
Ktm 690

So how do you like the thumper?
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote