ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
DiggerD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
RatDog2014 Ride Report from a KTM950

Just wanted to spread the word on a great, marked out course of the Tillamook Oregon area that Tom N. and team have with the Rat Dog Dual Sport Ride.
They have a vast knowledge of the area that will take you many, many years to compile, along with a sweep crew, which is golden.
I really liked the ride. I did the "C" route both days with my KTM950.
I am so glad I put new rear pads and flushed my rear brake fluid before I left home.
If you ever visited the Air Museum blimp hangers in Tillamook, and saw the mountains in the back ground, and wondered what it would be like to ride a bike back there, then you need to ride the Rat Dog. Awesome !
I rode my 950 with camp gear to the event, which was fun there and back in it's self. I got early starts both days and had little if no traffic. I hate the dust, so I start early.
No dust, like riding in air condition, no flats or mechanical problems, perfect. Well, I did have to be creative with some electrical tape when my roll chart bracket broke.
Even got fed huge rat hot dogs on return both days, while we watched riders return and play some bike games.

This years game was pick up crunched pop cans with a long gripper while on the bike and place the cans in two whisky barrels. Dang Recluse clutch riders! The other game was a ride by dart throw.
Bottom line: For you guys and gals who need more seat time with your Adventure bikes, I suggest either or both of Tom's events. The Black Dog or this Rat dog.
Caution: Just make sure you stay off the AA & A & possible the B sections. You might have to have to sell your bike in parts, as is, where is.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
tunus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I did the B route (same as C that day) on Sunday and had a blast. I think I caught up with you and another rider on a 950 on the second to last reset stop before Garibaldi. I was on a plated WR450. It was a great event indeed. I have gpx tracks for most of the 75 mile route. If anybody is interested, just pm me.
tunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
DiggerD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I was riding SoLo this year.
I know the other two 950 riders.
We lovingly refer to them as the Camp Robbers and visa versy.
Last year a bud and I got to the campground early, paid money for an empty campsite thru the honor system cash drop, went to town for dinner, and when we got back to the campground, we rode right pass our tents because it was a sea of motor homes, motor homes, motor homes.

Luck had it, the camp robbers recognized my buds name on his gear and I kind of remember be greeted with a beer. All was good and we did not have to move our tents.

That part of "Team Camp Robbers" are a father/sun team. They rode "B" both days. The son kicked b-hind on the pop can pick up at days end games. Recluse clutch helped a bit. He also scored a bulls eye on the dart board. Reason e-nuf for me to get an early start for the ride home.

I rode my 950 to and from the event and camped off my bike, which was way more fun than riding in a cage there and back.