ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #136
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels
 
Wansfel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by langstang96 View Post
Mentioned in previous threads about riding more north. Any chance of crossing into Canada? If so, I need to acquire a Passport before the ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Close, but no, not on this trip. You might want to check this out though.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #137
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels
 
Wansfel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonRock View Post
Got two Beemers...

Can I make it on this:

Or will I want this:
Probably the later, unless you can lift the former when sleeping like this:
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #138
BronsonRock
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: I-Duh-Ho
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Probably the later, unless you can lift the former when sleeping like this:
I can't lift the latter when sleeping like that!

Seriously though...how gnarly will the roads/trails get? You're not doing any single track are ya?
BronsonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #139
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels
 
Wansfel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonRock View Post
I can't lift the latter when sleeping like that!

Seriously though...how gnarly will the roads/trails get? You're not doing any single track are ya?
No single track. We try to keep this ride suitable for larger ADV bikes, but make it as much dirt as possible. Mostly good back country forest roads. With some prior planning by individuals, some stretches of special challenge and more ruggedness could probably be defined for smaller bikes wanting a bit more challenge.

Trying to plan officially designated campgrounds to bypass any fire closures. Evening group campfires are always enjoyable. Also pass some good eating joints for lunch (and maybe other meals) for the epicurean effect. Shooting for a complete experience.

I've even IDed a few hot springs along the route Considering the start and potential stop for the formal route, getting to and from those areas could easily add a couple hundred miles of true adventure riding on each end (not counting commuting from distant home ports). I live in the heart of this country and I already know I'll be probably be putting out a 1,500 mile ride. (My ride, the formal shouldn't be much over 1,200).

Wansfel screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 08:06 AM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #140
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,166
Wicked Br ... Br

If an old fart like me can lift the GSA you can also...

Besides your bike is too damn clean!

Looking forward to meeting you....

Phil
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"

Wallowa screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 07:00 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #141
BronsonRock
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: I-Duh-Ho
Oddometer: 213
I know, old timer! Just having some fun. I'm decrepit for sure but not quite to the asking for someone else to pick my sleeping bike up stage...yet!

Unfortunately, it is more likely that I will NOT be able to attend this ride than yes. Darn work...always getting in the way of my fun.

If'n I do make it, it will be great to meet some new ADV'ers (yourself included) for sure. I won't know until much closer to the ride dates.
BronsonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #142
DirtyPatches
Adventurer
 
DirtyPatches's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Stevensville, Montucky
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
No single track. We try to keep this ride suitable for larger ADV bikes, but make it as much dirt as possible. Mostly good back country forest roads. With some prior planning by individuals, some stretches of special challenge and more ruggedness could probably be defined for smaller bikes wanting a bit more challenge.

Trying to plan officially designated campgrounds to bypass any fire closures. Evening group campfires are always enjoyable. Also pass some good eating joints for lunch (and maybe other meals) for the epicurean effect. Shooting for a complete experience.

I've even IDed a few hot springs along the route Considering the start and potential stop for the formal route, getting to and from those areas could easily add a couple hundred miles of true adventure riding on each end (not counting commuting from distant home ports). I live in the heart of this country and I already know I'll be probably be putting out a 1,500 mile ride. (My ride, the formal shouldn't be much over 1,200).
Great pre-trip meeting Saturday at the Bum
Ron is the king of mapping! Some really good looking routes with LOTS of hotsprings, good campgrounds and water features will make the ride much more fun to soak our sore buts in warm water an the end of a long ride. Camping is half the adventure
I will have bear mace is anyone is worried, I highly recommend adding it to your supplies! Also tons of back country bear awareness training so we will have good "bear hangs" (hanging food in a tree) but with a big group on bikes I don't think they would wanna come around but never know!


If anyone doing the MT1000 needs to arrange some dog care feel free to contact me, I work at a dog boarding facility and can help get you in/ discount! PM me if interested, this place is one of a kind accommodations and only place I would ever board my dog!
www.windrivertailsandtrails.com
__________________
In a society that had abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.

DirtyPatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #143
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,166
After The Ride...Stanley Stomp?

Hey...I went out on a limb and sent in my registration $ for the Stanley Stomp which starts 5 days after our ride [MT 1000] ends.. or so I think

I plan to roam around for 4 days from wherever we end our ride and get to Grandjean on 8-6 one day before the Stomp starts.

Heck even if we end in Spearfish I can make it back in time...using the Stomp as a retreat before heading back to Enterprise on 8-10 for a long but fun ride home on dirt...first will just park my butt down to soak in the pool or hot springs for four days at Grandjean..


Welcome anyone that might be interested..

Phil
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #144
DirtyPatches
Adventurer
 
DirtyPatches's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Stevensville, Montucky
Oddometer: 93

Gearing up for the ride! Gonna have the same setup saddle bags and large rear dry bags going for the MT 1000, only on a KLR! Great reviews online and seems like more than enough for some long touring.

Heard enough horror stories of guys that have the ammo can setup to rule that out!
__________________
In a society that had abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.

DirtyPatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #145
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure
 
Kinsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Bitterroot Valley, Western Montana
Oddometer: 3,761
Yeah, dot bags are the way to go. I've been using Dirt Bagz and they work okay but I'm gonna get me some of these:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215
__________________
Chris R

Horsefly-bird whisperer
Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #146
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels
 
Wansfel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPatches View Post
Gearing up for the ride! Gonna have the same setup saddle bags and large rear dry bags going for the MT 1000, only on a KLR! Great reviews online and seems like more than enough for some long touring.

Heard enough horror stories of guys that have the ammo can setup to rule that out!
Nice looking bags. Better than my first setup, but then what do you expect for $35 for three dry bags, conduit, straps. Still using them on #2 KLR.



Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #147
BronsonRock
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: I-Duh-Ho
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Nice looking bags. Better than my first setup, but then what do you expect for $35 for three dry bags, conduit, straps. Still using them on #2 KLR.




That is just SO KLR!

Love it.
BronsonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #148
DirtyPatches
Adventurer
 
DirtyPatches's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Stevensville, Montucky
Oddometer: 93
Talking

[QUOTE=Wansfel;23462732]Nice looking bags. Better than my first setup, but then what do you expect for $35 for three dry bags, conduit, straps. Still using them on #2 KLR.]

Thanks Ron, I'm pretty siked on them! Gonna get the racks I got (and hoping will work with the bags) to LC1 tomorrow and get them powder coated, lime green of course.
Already read up on these and I guess the top bag will fit a tent, all your sleeping gear and then some! Side bags will be food cookware, hatchet, misc. camp supplies in one, bike maintenance stuff and extra room for beer and souvenirs. Guess you can rig them up nice with plastic trash cans to add rigidity, function at camp, gear packs up like ->

That's a nice set up on your back up KLR, works and lets you gear #1 a little nicer. Cant wait to just get to ride the damn thing soon. All I know is it will beat my first gear haul for a weekend camp trip last 4th! (profile pic)
__________________
In a society that had abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.

DirtyPatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #149
DirtyPatches
Adventurer
 
DirtyPatches's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Stevensville, Montucky
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman View Post
Yeah, dot bags are the way to go. I've been using Dirt Bagz and they work okay but I'm gonna get me some of these:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215
Thanks Chris! Which ones were you thinking of? Gonna get them for the 1000?
__________________
In a society that had abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.

DirtyPatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #150
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure
 
Kinsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Bitterroot Valley, Western Montana
Oddometer: 3,761
They are trying to get them ready by May. I don't know if I'll have those yet or the Dirt Bagz. Either way, I'm riding!
__________________
Chris R

Horsefly-bird whisperer
Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014