ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #166
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Just ordered aNelson-Rigg Adventure tank bag to replace my old beatup tank bang. Hopefully big enough to pack along my DSLR. Along with some Roxx Risers - need to get my bars even higher and farther forward for easier standing.

Been looking at soft side bags for my 2nd KLR. My son will hitting the BOM this year with me. Found these:

Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry Bag

Ortlieb QRL2
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #167
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPatches View Post
Thanks for the tip sleddog, that's exactly what I'm after! You use one?
It's hard telling what will fit right on the KLR shopping online.
Yes, I used one on my KLR, along with the extra pockets. I now use it on the wee Strom.

For my WR, I have a Wolfman Enduro bag, I modified it to use the pockets from the Ranier.

Sleddog
Sleddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #168
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Just ordered aNelson-Rigg Adventure tank bag to replace my old beatup tank bang. Hopefully big enough to pack along my DSLR. Along with some Roxx Risers - need to get my bars even higher and farther forward for easier standing.

Been looking at soft side bags for my 2nd KLR. My son will hitting the BOM this year with me. Found these:

Ortlieb QRL2
I bought these soft saddle bags for my F650gs twin with Touratech hard mounts. My son borrowed the f658 for a few months last year for commuting to work, 8000 miles in 5 months and the bags held up well.

I can use my hard al TT or the soft bags on the F658.

Dennis
Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #169
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
For softside bags, has anyone else considered Happy Trails? I've got a set for my F650GS and they work well. I especially like the suspension method for the bags (straps that pass under the bags).
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #170
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
For softside bags, has anyone else considered Happy Trails? I've got a set for my F650GS and they work well. I especially like the suspension method for the bags (straps that pass under the bags).
Their Mojave bags? That's what I have on my KLR. Good bags, could be a bit larger.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #171
DirtyPatches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:

Ortlieb QRL2
Had to add that to my gear shopping, sorry bud but couldn't resist exactly what I'm looking for plus that high viz tank bag is gonna look so nice with the nelson rigg high viz saddle bags I got... and my high viz helmet
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #172
BronsonRock
Banned

Oddometer: 213
This thread has been derailed... Can we get back to the route/ride?
BronsonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #173
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonRock View Post
This thread has been derailed... Can we get back to the route/ride?
We got Timmer back now so the routing will move forward, but gear discussion is also planning and I think we may have some relatively new runners this year that could benefit.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #174
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 305
Can I help??

Been following this thread with a LOT of interest. I think I'd like to join in if I could. Lots of time yet for commitment.

However, I would like to help if you need it. I work in the Payette Nat'l Forest each summer. I'm very familiar with roads and trails in there. Also know the Stanley, Challis, and Salmon areas and the Clearwater drainage.

If you need help with routing or checking out some of those areas, I'd be more than willing to do it. I work 4 10's in the summer and have 3 day weekends to play.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #175
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
Been following this thread with a LOT of interest. I think I'd like to join in if I could. Lots of time yet for commitment.

However, I would like to help if you need it. I work in the Payette Nat'l Forest each summer. I'm very familiar with roads and trails in there. Also know the Stanley, Challis, and Salmon areas and the Clearwater drainage.

If you need help with routing or checking out some of those areas, I'd be more than willing to do it. I work 4 10's in the summer and have 3 day weekends to play.

4r
Expect a PM!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #176
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Expect a PM!
Expect a couple of 'em.
I'm gonna be looking for a good route out of Salmon or Challis, thinking of ending up at Painted Rocks (west fork bitterroot). I'll have a look at my maps and then I'll have some questions for you.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #177
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
For planning purposes, let's use Saturday, July 26 from Troy,MT into the great unknown through Friday, August 1 which will give the weekend to get home. Ron and I have been talking about stringing ghost towns together in a more easterly direction. How's the dates sound?

Tim in Burien, Wa
Sent from Tapatalk using my iPad mini
Marked down on my Calendar

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #178
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

The Route

Ok, time for the route.

Timmer and I have been doing some fine tuning and we agree its time to show our cards.

We will be seeking input on the route. There is plenty time for further fine tuning. The current version looks good, but we are always open to suggestions, (well to a degree anyway.)

To facilitate working input, I have created a blog with more detailed information, a basic itinerary, Google Maps links - day by day, daily mileage estimates and other general information. There is also a link to the current version of a GPX file which will be updated as we move towards July 26th.

The blog is located at BOM2014.blogspot.com . General discussion should remain here on this thread. Use the blog for specific route work.

Ride overview text from the blog:
Starting Saturday July 26, 2014

Disclaimer: This is an informal ride designed to support larger adventure motorcycles. It will be conducted on dirt/gravel vehicle roads as much as possible. Pavement is kept to a minimum and mainly to connect dirt stretches which makes it very appropriate to smaller motorcycles. The ride is self directed and self supported which means riders should be prepared to manage themselves including navigating the route, feeding yourself, camping capability (we are shooting for official designated USFS campgrounds every night.

Occasionally (very rarely) we may be near commercial lodging. Be prepared to manage your motorcycle's mechanical needs and any possible breakdowns including tire repair. Some areas are very remote and may be 50 miles or further from any form of support. Cell phone coverage will be virtually non-existent other than when traveling near or through any major towns. No guarantees with the routes that will be provided. Remember, you travel these routes and schedules at your own risk.

As in previous years, with a larger group off riders, sub-groups will naturally form given rider abilities. There will be no active monitoring of attendees. Generally accepted safe-motoring is expected as is good motorcycle and support gear preparation. Ride to your ability. It will be an excellent event to meet other adventure riders and learn from the experience. Routes, tracks, and key waypoints will be provided in GPX files. If you are not familiar or do not use a routing capable GPS, we will make general route text available and you will be encouraged to ride with other riders who do have GPS capability.

Other than the Pioneer Scenic Byway, this is an entirely new route from previous years. The route runs north to south in MT then West through new country over to the general vicinity of McCall, ID. It includes remote dirt roads near and in Glacier plus the Going to the Sun Road.

Daily mileages will fall between 160 to 195 miles per day. The full formal route will be over 1200 miles (Saturday through Friday).

See the blog for Google Maps links for each day and the GPX link. The GPX file is broken into two tracks for each day plus some bonus routes to help get you to the start and from the finish. We won't generate the route files until the final version in July.

Let the fun begin!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #179
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
The fun has been going on already!! We hope you'll be able to join on the 2014 running of the Montana 1000. This one's a bit longer and the beginning and end are quite a distance from one another.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #180
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,273
Laugh Special Needs "Sub-Group"

OK then. I am looking for a sub-group of "Old men on big bikes"!

Again after our ride since I am going to Grandjean ID for the Stanley Stomp this route is outstanding for me.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote