ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #226
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Been on the fence a little, but I'm gonna join up. Got dates on the calendar and permission from the boss.
OMG Bruce, looks like the AARP group will be riding together again as I'm planning on it also.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #227
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
in

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #228
Roadglide
Riding since 1965

Oddometer: 28
Roadglide is in.
Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #229
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
See post 111. Robert_W has offered to allow truck/trailers to park at his Fly Shop (in Troy) and also has a standing discount offer for cabins etc.

NW Montana Cabin Rentals ~ 15% Off for inmates.
www.kroutfitters.com

Ron
Howdy guys. Just a bit of FYI.

Yes, I've got lots of room if any one wants to park a rig with a trailer for a while. Also have a decent shop with all the tools if any one needs oil / tires / service. Just call ahead of time so I know what to expect.

And yes cabins too. They will sleep 4 comfy but up to 6.

We've also got a bunk / guide room with a full bath room that we rent out for 50 bucks a night. And there's room for campers of all sorts if some want a cabin and some want a tent / rv. Lots of times we do groups of 12 - 40 or more. Big grassy areas creek side...solitude...scenery...fire pits...BBQ...etc. It's a great place to either start or end a couple of days.

That being said there are a ton of forest service camp grounds up here. For your meet up in Troy there are two or three that would be best. The first is at the confluence of the Kootenai and Yaak Rivers about 10 minutes west of Troy on Hwy 2. Lots of sites first come first serve and I have never seen it filled. The others are Door Skeels and Bad Medicine campgrounds on Bull Lake. They are 20 -25 minutes from Troy. South on Hwy 56. Smaller # of sites though and can get filled but rare.

There are also some really cool remote sites up here way off the beaten path but they are a lot farther out of town.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/koot...43369&actid=29

Also I've got a ton of maps and details on our site:

http://kroutfitters.com/maps.htm

For eats there is full service grocery in Troy. There's a coffee place right on the main drag. And the local burger joint. For breakfast you want either the Silver Spur...or if you really want some old school local culture...you need to eat at Jacks. Just past the bridge heading east over Callahan Creek. It's the local place. Jack is long gone...but Kathy his wife...who must be 85...is your cook, waitress, cashier, bus boy all rolled into one. Hot fresh cheap food and lots of it. If you try to tip her too much she'll chase you down in the parking lot!

If you guys want to pick my brain about anything up here give me a shout.

Would love to do the ride with you but when you folks get to play is my busy season.

Have fun!
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #230
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,954
Wow, thank you, Robert!

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #231
DirtyPatches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Howdy guys. Just a bit of FYI.

Yes, I've got lots of room if any one wants to park a rig with a trailer for a while. Also have a decent shop with all the tools if any one needs oil / tires / service. Just call ahead of time so I know what to expect.

And yes cabins too. They will sleep 4 comfy but up to 6.

We've also got a bunk / guide room with a full bath room that we rent out for 50 bucks a night. And there's room for campers of all sorts if some want a cabin and some want a tent / rv. Lots of times we do groups of 12 - 40 or more. Big grassy areas creek side...solitude...scenery...fire pits...BBQ...etc. It's a great place to either start or end a couple of days.

That being said there are a ton of forest service camp grounds up here. For your meet up in Troy there are two or three that would be best. The first is at the confluence of the Kootenai and Yaak Rivers about 10 minutes west of Troy on Hwy 2. Lots of sites first come first serve and I have never seen it filled. The others are Door Skeels and Bad Medicine campgrounds on Bull Lake. They are 20 -25 minutes from Troy. South on Hwy 56. Smaller # of sites though and can get filled but rare.

There are also some really cool remote sites up here way off the beaten path but they are a lot farther out of town.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/koot...43369&actid=29

Also I've got a ton of maps and details on our site:

http://kroutfitters.com/maps.htm

For eats there is full service grocery in Troy. There's a coffee place right on the main drag. And the local burger joint. For breakfast you want either the Silver Spur...or if you really want some old school local culture...you need to eat at Jacks. Just past the bridge heading east over Callahan Creek. It's the local place. Jack is long gone...but Kathy his wife...who must be 85...is your cook, waitress, cashier, bus boy all rolled into one. Hot fresh cheap food and lots of it. If you try to tip her too much she'll chase you down in the parking lot!

If you guys want to pick my brain about anything up here give me a shout.

Would love to do the ride with you but when you folks get to play is my busy season.

Have fun!
PM sent
Old 02-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #232
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Updates

Just a note. We are early in the planning process. As subjects come to light that effect the route, I've been adding to the BOM2014.BLOGSPOT.COM Blog. So far, minimal changes. Day 4 has gained some miles with a dirt bypass. The Google Maps link and GPX file reflect the change.

Information regarding the first camp night in Glacier has been added including links to the nearby campgrounds and reservations.

I've also added links within the existing text referring to information such as campgrounds, hot springs, etc.

The last two days cover some remote area. It looks like gas availability and distances could be a problem, but we (I got buds helping here, thanks guys) appear to have some solution, so no route changes at this time. During this process we find Burgdorf Hot Springs has gas which helping those departing for remote area after the last day.

Ron

Wansfel screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 05:35 PM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #233
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Been on the fence a little, but I'm gonna join up. Got dates on the calendar and permission from the boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
OMG Bruce, looks like the AARP group will be riding together again as I'm planning on it also.
Oh heck no! You guys aren't going without me.

I'm in too.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 05:32 PM Reason: Oops that's supposed to be aren't not are.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #234
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Oh heck no! You guys are going without me.

I'm in too.
Good on you Ladybug. We finally enticed you to join our motley crew. . .
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #235
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,797
All you old farts need a female around to keep you in line.

Hi Timmer

You guys do such a great job organizing these rides I have to join in on the fun.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #236
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

For anyone who thinks that the group is getting to be too large, please keep in mind that we naturally will break down into groups of 4-6. For camping after the first night, again, we'll disperse ourselves so it will really be like a small group riding experience. It WILL NOT be XX # of riders riding single file down gravel and other roads.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #237
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
All you old farts need a female around to keep you in line.

Hi Timmer

You guys do such a great job organizing these rides I have to join in on the fun.
I can assure you that these rides have been a whole lot of fun and lots of serious riding and scenery.

As one example, I still first remember really getting to meet Wansfel after I was the first to come upon him after his KLR locked up the rear wheel and it took us a bit to untangle that. We've since come to know each other a bit better and have enjoyed a fair amount of MT riding together and a whole lot of planning activity. I'm sure there are other tales like this.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #238
langstang96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
langstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #239
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Elevation Graph

Playing with some mapping programs. Here is an elevation graph of the whole (main) ride:

Wansfel screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 04:35 PM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #240
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Playing with some mapping programs. Here is an elevation graph of the whole (main) ride:

Ron,

I don't see the graph on my PC, and on my iPhone, the link requires a login.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100