ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #241
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Ron,

I don't see the graph on my PC, and on my iPhone, the link requires a login.
Try now. Darn permissions.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #242
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing any changes to the link.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #243
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Ride elevation graph

New post and move the file:

Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #244
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
All is good with the MT1000 now. . .
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #245
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,955
Eeeexcellennnt.....

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #246
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Difficulty

I've been lurking and I'm considering riding this either with the group or solo later in the year. When I hear "big bike friendly" I worry that the route is going to be mostly very well maintained, graded, gravel roads and I'm looking for something a little more rough than that.

I thought the WABDR was a good route. In terms of road condition, how would you say it compares?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #247
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I've been lurking and I'm considering riding this either with the group or solo later in the year. When I hear "big bike friendly" I worry that the route is going to be mostly very well maintained, graded, gravel roads and I'm looking for something a little more rough than that.

I thought the WABDR was a good route. In terms of road condition, how would you say it compares?
Having not yet ridden the 2014 MT1000 but having ridden the WABDR, I can't specifically compare the two. I would say, however, based on prior MT1000's, it's likely going to be an easier ride than the WABDR because there's not likely to be a 'babyhead' section which was the most difficult section of the WABDR for me. There are, of course, many opportunities to make the MT1000 a more challenging ride, and a fair number of riders have done than in prior rides.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #248
xrjockey86
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Is anyone planning on a Montana 1000 ride the second week in September?
xrjockey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #249
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Heya all, I'm toying with the idea of doing part or all of the ride. Schedule will dictate. It was fun helping pre-run and GPS map parts of the first and second MT1000 (and I actually got to ride half of the second one!) and I've been itching for another multiday run. Did one quick overnighter with some local FFs last year (525 miles with hardly any asphalt in a day and a half) with a few friends and would like to do a longer ride this year even if just hooking up through the middle section. Will follow the threads.

Timmer, there isn't a "1/2 In" category so hold off adding me for now. Ha.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #250
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Heya all, I'm toying with the idea of doing part or all of the ride. Schedule will dictate. It was fun helping pre-run and GPS map parts of the first and second MT1000 (and I actually got to ride half of the second one!) and I've been itching for another multiday run. Did one quick overnighter with some local FFs last year (525 miles with hardly any asphalt in a day and a half) with a few friends and would like to do a longer ride this year even if just hooking up through the middle section. Will follow the threads.

Timmer, there isn't a "1/2 In" category so hold off adding me for now. Ha.
Chadx,

We'd be glad to have you along for whatever you can do with us.

During the ride, don't look for too many updates unless we have really good internet in the boonies.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #251
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
During the ride, don't look for too many updates unless we have really good internet in the boonies.
Roger that. To clarify, by "follow the thread" I meant before the ride to keep up with the ride conversation and not during the ride to figure out where you are to catch up. I'd plan on meeting up at one of the camping spots one night so could sort out a group to ride a few days with (I'll be on my WR20R). There are a few other Bozeman/Helena MT area riders that have also floated meeting up with the group for a few days. We'll see how it all pans out as the date approaches. Still have snow and snow-going sports on the mind right now (snowmobile, snowbike, XC skiing and backcountry snowshoeing).
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #252
DirtyPatches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
How's the route looking Ron? Still deciding on stuff? Like the blog for the ride, that map about what were doing? I need to get some hard copies and get more familiar.
Great work on it so far boys! Can't wait for the ride!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #253
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPatches View Post
How's the route looking Ron? Still deciding on stuff? Like the blog for the ride, that map about what were doing? I need to get some hard copies and get more familiar.
Great work on it so far boys! Can't wait for the ride!
Been a couple of minor tweaks to enhance the route. I doubt it will change much, but its still early in the season and some pre-riding could bring some minor changes.

I would suggest picking up a couple of Benchmark Atlases, one for Montana and one for Idaho and hit them with a highlighter. That will help get you accustomed to the general route.

We might think about hitting the Bum again one evening and doing a GPS/BaseCamp/mapping session. BaseCamp is free and you can download some area (state) topo maps for free also. The Google Maps (links from the blog) are good also for zooming in and exploring. You can use the GPSVISUALIZER.COM "convert" function to paste those links or use the "link" icon in Google Maps to capture a string to load into the GPSVISUALIZER program to convert to GPX (or other formats).

You may find some alternate segments to explore while your zooming in.
Like the Wickes Tunnel andhere.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #254
DirtyPatches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Been a couple of minor tweaks to enhance the route. I doubt it will change much, but its still early in the season and some pre-riding could bring some minor changes.

I would suggest picking up a couple of Benchmark Atlases, one for Montana and one for Idaho and hit them with a highlighter. That will help get you accustomed to the general route.

We might think about hitting the Bum again one evening and doing a GPS/BaseCamp/mapping session. BaseCamp is free and you can download some area (state) topo maps for free also. The Google Maps (links from the blog) are good also for zooming in and exploring. You can use the GPSVISUALIZER.COM "convert" function to paste those links or use the "link" icon in Google Maps to capture a string to load into the GPSVISUALIZER program to convert to GPX (or other formats).

You may find some alternate segments to explore while your zooming in.
Like the Wickes Tunnel andhere.
q
As always thanks map master! I'll get some of those together and toy with the technology stuff. Can any of those be used on a smart phone? Or should use on computer and just print stuff? I'm down for another Bum mapping get together. Let me know when you're thinkin. Friday and Saturdays are best for me... Although I could eat that bbq every say! Whoo whee!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #255
MTlost
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I will be trying to connect up with the group as you get closer to my home in SW Montana. This whole thing sounds like great fun!! It would also be nice to get to know some of the other dirt road riders from this part of Montana.

06 V Strom, sometimes lost but finding her way
MTlost is offline   Reply With Quote