User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
QT50 Value?

I'm trying to figure out whether a bike I bought last week is actually worth much. It's a 1980 Yamaha QT50 and it's virtually new. It has just under 750 on the odometer. The battery is toast and the pilot was plugged so it would only run on the choke. Looks like the high beam popped possibly from the low battery. Other than that it's in outstanding condition. Got it for $325 from a friend who bought it from some 90-year-old that only ride it to his mailbox. It's never been titled and came with the original owners manual.

Is anybody into these things or are they mainly throwaways for college students? Thanks

Here's a pic

Pro_Marinero screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 11:16 AM
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Dan V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Berry Nice! I have had my eye out for one - thinking it may be good for a "downstream" vehicle when kayaking - save taking two trucks. Kayaks and a Yamahopper in the the bed - no problem.

You got a good buy - I've seen most go for around $500, and certainly not in the shape yours is in. A buddy that is into peds says parts are no problem.

I do believe that you have to have a battery installed when it is running or the lamp will blow.

You did well!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
My first!

My first scooter was a QT and I do miss it. Not a throwaway....quality.
Theres a picture on my website (link below) of me on it in 1982 when I had hair.

And a waistline.

Enjoy it...it's a beaut.

http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,825
Wow, that is nice. It is easily worth twice what you paid for it if it is as nice as it looks. Does the oil injection work? These are very simple machines with a top speed of about 30 mph. They are commonly called "nopeds", because they are very similar to mopeds, except they do not have pedals. Unfortunately, in many states that makes them fall under the motorcycle classification, which prohibits them from being ridden in bike lanes, and they are not fast enough to be safe ridden in a traffic lane. The traffic situation in most places was very different back when that was made. But it is top quality, definitely not a throwaway or disposable. Biggest issue might be finding parts.

If you live in a place with a lot of country roads without too much traffic, you can ride one of those along the edge of the road all day. I have done hundreds of miles at the time on 50cc mopeds that way.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Thanks all. Everything works on it - or at least will. The air filter was basically a dandelion I blew away so a new one is coming. I put in a new battery. The only thing left is getting one little 6V bulb for the high beam indicator and fixing the low beam. I don't want to buy a $60 sealed beam so I heated up the solder and popped out the bulb from the lens. I've got a new H4 6V halogen on order that I will epoxy into the lens. The wiring harness even matches up.

I saw some guy on here wrote in an older post that top models are worth $2500-$3500. I had a hard time with that figure but I like whenever I can double my money.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,256
I have searched values for these before and they seem to go between $300 to $600. Anything more is icing on the cake.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post
Thanks all. Everything works on it - or at least will. The air filter was basically a dandelion I blew away so a new one is coming. I put in a new battery. The only thing left is getting one little 6V bulb for the high beam indicator and fixing the low beam. I don't want to buy a $60 sealed beam so I heated up the solder and popped out the bulb from the lens. I've got a new H4 6V halogen on order that I will epoxy into the lens. The wiring harness even matches up.

I saw some guy on here wrote in an older post that top models are worth $2500-$3500. I had a hard time with that figure but I like whenever I can double my money.
For a new one still in the crate those numbers are not unrealistic. Many of these small bikes are worth more than larger ones as collectors items. I was offered $800 for my 1980 Puch ZA50, and turned it down. But by the time I finished replacing parts with new ones, and rebuilt the engine/trans, I've probably got that much in it. All parts are still available for the Puch except the frame, and many of the frames have rusted through because the gas tank is part of the frame. Mine is rust free. Many more frames have been cut up by "modifiers"
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote