Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #181
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Kain Colter starts union movement

I wonder where this will go. There is too much money in CFB for the players to not get a cut IMHO.
Nice, another piece of the pie for the mob!

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:43 PM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #182
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Nice, another piece of the pie for the mob!
Season's over, we gotta keep the thread going!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #183
Hoots Magoon OP
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Would that be a one-year college degree, then? Funny kind of education where you can't complete a degree.

At least you're straight-up in your abuse of kids. No smarmy mouth like the schools and the NCAA.

Doesn't make it any less abusive though.
Abuse of kids, you have got to be kidding me. Most of these players wouldn't step foot on a campus if it were not for sports. $30,000 for school and another $20,000 for room and board and other benefits, for playing a game, is more than enough compensation. Abusive my ass, everyone of these young adults lives a pampered life compared to the corporate world, where if the employee doesn't perform, that employee is cut from the team. It should be no different in any sport at any competitive level (not included is t-ball and pee-wee football and the like).

Players released from scholarship can apply to the NCAA to have the 1 year ban from playing removed when transferring to another school. Most schools will help the departing student apply for the pardon if he/she is transferring to an out of conference and/or out of state school.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #184
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots Magoon View Post
Abuse of kids, you have got to be kidding me. Most of these players wouldn't step foot on a campus if it were not for sports. $30,000 for school and another $20,000 for room and board and other benefits, for playing a game, is more than enough compensation. Abusive my ass, everyone of these young adults lives a pampered life compared to the corporate world, where if the employee doesn't perform, that employee is cut from the team. It should be no different in any sport at any competitive level (not included is t-ball and pee-wee football and the like).

Players released from scholarship can apply to the NCAA to have the 1 year ban from playing removed when transferring to another school. Most schools will help the departing student apply for the pardon if he/she is transferring to an out of conference and/or out of state school.
Here's a good article that explains a few thing about scholarships, grants in aid, and gives you a good idea of what's going on. To tell you the truth, after reading the article, I'm more in favor of a players unions than I was before reading it.

"The Most Evil Thing about College Sports"

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...y_reason_.html

Athletic scholarships are no guarantee of a four-year education. They can be yanked after one year, for any reason
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #185
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,355
Quote:

Pray tell, what's the value of one or two years of this unbelievable deal, if they're then cut?

The fact that they have to do anything to overcome the one-year ban is obscene. You seem to recognize that.

The truest thing you wrote is that most of these kids don't belong on a college campus. You're right. But admitting that does sort of undercut what you claim about the value of their education.

They're not students and the school's not there to turn them into educated men. They're there for football.

That's why I hope this union thing gets traction.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #186
Hoots Magoon OP
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Quote:
Pray tell, what's the value of one or two years of this unbelievable deal, if they're then cut?
The value is they have a chance. Many people would give their right leg for that chance, but then they would lose their scholly since they only have one leg.

They also can step down to Div 1AA or Div 2 or 3, and not lose a year if they are good enough to make those teams. A link from a few years ago

Quote:
The fact that they have to do anything to overcome the one-year ban is obscene. You seem to recognize that.
If a player transfers to the same conference, within the same state, or a team that is on the next years schedule, then I agree with the ban, unless the school agrees to the instate/in-conference transfer. If a FSU player wanted off the team or lost his scholarship, then he would be able to play at LSU but not FAU(unless FSU OKed the move to FAU).

Quote:
The truest thing you wrote is that most of these kids don't belong on a college campus. You're right. But admitting that does sort of undercut what you claim about the value of their education.

Or they cannot afford Division I schools.

Quote:
They're not students and the school's not there to turn them into educated men. They're there for football.
I disagree. 99% of these players are not going to make it into the professional leagues. The schools are giving them an opportunity not just football but in all sports. Football is just the most profitable right now and allowing these schools to afford more programs. How do we compensate evenly with other sports, Title IX.

Quote:
That's why I hope this union thing gets traction.
By allowing players to be paid, Schools like Texas, Auburn , & Notre Dame (where no expenses are spared) would pay top wages for 5 star recruits, leaving the directional schools with what is left.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #187
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
If a player transfers to the same conference, within the same state, or a team that is on the next years schedule, then I agree with the ban, unless the school agrees to the instate/in-conference transfer. If a FSU player wanted off the team or lost his scholarship, then he would be able to play at LSU but not FAU(unless FSU OKed the move to FAU).
So you're OK with a school signing a kid, cutting him and denying him the chance to play anywhere he wants?

That's abusive. Someday it will be illegal.

It's obvious to all that these guys are, mostly, not students, not college material. They are unpaid employees whose work is used to fund athletic departments and, through alumni fundraising, universities themselves.

My hope is that the entire hypocritical system is blown up. If that happens, something that both you and I enjoy may be changed forever.

But at least it will end what is a fundamentally immoral practice.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #188
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,823
One kid to watch....

....from a lower level school is my cousin's kid, Nick Belcher. He just graduated from South Carolina State University and is a kicker.

He plays in the College Allstar Game on 2/14 in Greenville & then flies to NY the next day for the combines at the NY Jets Facility. Keep him in your thoughts - he's been working his ass off to get ready and he's had some help last summer from a pro kicking coach whose name escapes me. Nick's got a strong leg - 50 yard field goals seem to be pretty easy for him.

The interesting part is that Nick was adopted - life may have started out rough but the kid is doing just great.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #189
Hoots Magoon OP
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Quote:
So you're OK with a school signing a kid, cutting him and denying him the chance to play anywhere he wants?

That's abusive. Someday it will be illegal.
Yes, I am OK with that. It is in the best intrest of all schools to limit where the athletes can go, just like I can't go from Bio-tech to Bio-tech sharing trade secrets.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #190
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 37,277
Quote:
Yes, I am OK with that. It is in the best intrest of all schools to limit where the athletes can go, just like I can't go from Bio-tech to Bio-tech sharing trade secrets.
Ahhh, so they are indeed employees, not "student athletes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #191
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Season's over, we gotta keep the thread going!
NSD is less then a week!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #192
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Yes, I know it's in the best interests of the schools. But it's immoral, abusive and will someday, possibly very soon, be illegal.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 AM   #193
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,402
Quote:
It's in the best interests of a mining company to limit where it's workers can go...

Look, I DON'T think they are, or should be, full employees, but FFS, simple fairness and common sense ought to dictate that a player should ONLY have to sit out for a year if THEY choose to leave the school. If the school chooses, then they should be able to go to ANY fucking school and play, regardless of division or conference. If you're afraid to play against a kid, DON'T FUCKING CUT THEM.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #194
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 37,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money View Post
It's in the best interests of a mining company to limit where it's workers can go...

Look, I DON'T think they are, or should be, full employees, but FFS, simple fairness and common sense ought to dictate that a player should ONLY have to sit out for a year if THEY choose to leave the school. If the school chooses, then they should be able to go to ANY fucking school and play, regardless of division or conference. If you're afraid to play against a kid, DON'T FUCKING CUT THEM.
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #195
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money View Post

That sounds reasonable. I would maybe add if a team cuts a player for rule violations or illegal activity, rather than simple ability.

What is the policy for the 1 year of ineligibility if a team cuts a player?
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: