Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon View Post
I know we've had this discussion in previous years, but I still think it bears repeating. Is the point of playoffs entertainment or to find the best team in college football?
Clearly the whole point if postseason college football is entertainment.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Guess I'm down for another season. I keep praying I've outgrown this. Guess I'm wrong.
Its hard man. I remember Tuna saying, when he coached the cowboys, that as you get older the wins arent as good as the losses are bad. But, its a damn fun game to watch. For some reason my Sat are always set aside.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,808
Quote:
I know we've had this discussion in previous years, but I still think it bears repeating. Is the point of playoffs entertainment or to find the best team in college football?
All big sports are entertainment, first and foremost. That was assured the moment they demanded payment for viewing and came to rely on that money.

The 2014 version of a post-season will exist for the same reason as the 2013 version: to silence the critics. The BCS was created out of the incessant demand for an unquestioned #1. Not the best team, mind you. Just an undisputed champion.

The playoff was created out of the incessant demand that the BCS title game not exclude teams which had a fair argument for playing in the title game. That same argument will, sooner or later, lead to an expansion of the playoff.

None of them, not the BCS, not the playoff, not the expanded playoff, will consistently produce an unequivocal national champion. The very nature of one-game elimination contests assures that many times, the "best" team loses a game many think it shouldn't.

Alabama lost such a game to Auburn in the regular season. That game was, in essence, a playoff game. Yet until Oklahoma beat Alabama in a bowl game, I bet you could find a fair chunk of fans who thought 'Bama should have been the team playing FSU.

The funny thing is that there's no assurance that Alabama would have made an 8-team playoff this season, had one been in place.

So your question is moot, more or less. It's impossible to devise a system that will absolutely, positively produce the best team in college football every single year.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,494
Maybe do it like World Cup, where the teams spend four years competing to see who is the eventual champion. That should be enough time for everyone to play everyone else in a home and home, and would strongly encourage the students to finish their four years.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Ther are 2 best team arguments.

1 is the best team for the entire season. This has been the prevailing model forever, the reason champions used to get crownd befor bowl games and why bowl games are still glorified exhibition games. But its always a beauty contest based on perceptions of fallible individuals with all sorts of inherent biasis.

2 is the best team at the end of the season, because that is what a playoff produces. Who is hot at the end. Its the reason the giants went 9-7 and won a Superbowl. Hockey is the most indicative of this as it is not uncommon for an 8 seed to make a run to the cup.

College football is too large with too many teams to ever be able to unequivacally say "this is the best team". Ive always liked the college world series double elimination style, because losses happen to really good teams every year. But theres no feasable way to institute that into college football, so take the ranking system we have now and playoff the top 8. Entertaining and you get a better look at how these teams matchup, and no 5 week layoffs.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,759
After this recent bowl season, I can't wait for next year. I am in withdrawal tonight....
Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Maybe do it like World Cup, where the teams spend four years competing to see who is the eventual champion. That should be enough time for everyone to play everyone else in a home and home, and would strongly encourage the students to finish their four years.
That would be interesting! But remember, once past the group stage the World Cup turns into a single-elimination contest.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
But theres no feasable way to institute that into college football, so take the ranking system we have now and playoff the top 8.
I like that idea. But god, can you imagine the squealing from any conference champion which was excluded? What an uproar there would be. It wouldn't be just a single school pissing and moaning, it would be the entire conference.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #24
wxwax
Excited Member

And so Bobby Petrino interviews with Louisville and is said to be in the top 3. That school is setting itself up for a beating if it hires that jerk again. He'll screw 'em over just as he did last time.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
And so Bobby Petrino interviews with Louisville and is said to be in the top 3. That school is setting itself up for a beating if it hires that jerk again. He'll screw 'em over just as he did last time.
Hey, I got plenty of reason to hate the dude. He left Arkansas in a bigger mess then he did Louisville. But, it makes good sense to me for them to hire him. He's a winner, may not be that good of a head coach but he's an offensive genius. He'll pretty much be stuck there since most of the upper level D1 schools won't touch him. So he'll probably be there a while. And he may have actually learned a lesson, lord know's he's had a shit load of humble pie the last 2 years.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

And it looks like it could be a done deal. I doubt Bobby would say no.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-bobby-petrino

Albie screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 11:29 AM
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
wxwax
Excited Member

The whores who run college football will be beating down his door in no time at all. Louisville undoubtedly knows this.

The fact that Louisville is willing to rehire that asshole even after the way he treated them the last time shows how little self-respect they have in chasing wins. They know he'll be gone in two years, three at the max, if he wins, which he usually does.

So they're cynically buying 2-3 winning seasons, at the cost of their image and their self respect.

As for bigger schools, don't kid yourself. They're every bit as grubby and lacking in self-respect as Louisville. If Petrino wins, you really think a Tennessee, a Florida, a Miami wouldn't hire him?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #28
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
The whores who run college football will be beating down his door in no time at all. Louisville undoubtedly knows this.

The fact that Louisville is willing to rehire that asshole even after the way he treated them the last time shows how little self-respect they have in chasing wins. They know he'll be gone in two years, three at the max, if he wins, which he usually does.

So they're cynically buying 2-3 winning seasons, at the cost of their image and their self respect.

As for bigger schools, don't kid yourself. They're every bit as grubby and lacking in self-respect as Louisville. If Petrino wins, you really think a Tennessee, a Florida, a Miami wouldn't hire him?
TN or FL could have hired him already but didn't. Plenty of schools could have picked him up on the cheap the last couple years but didn't. As for being grubby and having very little self respect, sure, most programs can be seen in that light. It's not a matter of that though, it's about RISK management. I think he'll be at Louisville at least 5 years because very few schools will be willing to take the risk. The fact that he knowingly put a university at risk for major legal damages by hiring a mistress to a state job, and then lied about it to his boss. Most schools just aren't going to be willing to do it.

Stepping stone schools like Louisville can take the chances, larger programs with a lot more to lose can't.

Apparently, Louisville agrees with me.

Albie screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 12:50 PM
Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
TN or FL could have hired him already but didn't. Plenty of schools could have picked him up on the cheap the last couple years but didn't.
Nah, they want him to launder himself for a few years. One year at Western Kentucky wasn't enough for a big school to take a chance. Too much PR blowback.

But a couple of years at the carwash that is needy Louisville will take enough crap off of him to make him presentable. Petrino just needed to put a few years between his appalling behavior and his win rate, and the suitors would come, no matter where he coached. Louisville decided he might as well do it for them as for Western K.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,750
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: