Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #91
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
Daddy's boy does it again. Amazing. I'm sure Bama fans are thrilled.

The more I see of Saban lately, the less impressed I am. From his stupid calls at the end of the Auburn game, to this Ö
+1 Really makes me glad he didn't get the Texas job.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #92
Hoots Magoon OP
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,214
ROLL TIDE

Oh yea, here is a pic of our new coach.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #93
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
It'll be fun watching them give Urban a reason to quit because of health reasons.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #94
wxwax
Excited Member

A coach rebuilds his program, wins three of the last five national championships and four overall, and now he's a bad coach?

Good grief. There's nobody quite so deluded as a partisan college football fan.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #95
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
A coach rebuilds his program, wins three of the last five national championships and four overall, and now he's a bad coach?

I dont get that either. I think Sabans looking for someone to better utilize the talent he has on offense and maybe produce a first round QB, which he hasn't done. Kiffin is slimey, but he has offense credentials. Carroll is a great coach and he moved Kiffin through the ranks quickly, so there is definately something there as an OC/position coach. Terrible head coach though.

And if you watched enough bama games this year, you know something needed to be done. There was a lot of underutilized talent on offense.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #96
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

What have you done for me lately?

Maybe he's just not that good? Lost to an Auburn team that was 3-9 and 0-8 in 2012 in the SEC? Lost to a Oklahoma team that was lucky to be #2 in Big 12? All this having a 4 year quarterback with very little rebuilding to be done.

Seems the curtains were pulled back a little this year.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #97
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
What have you done for me lately?

Maybe he's just not that good? Lost to an Auburn team that was 3-9 and 0-8 in 2012 in the SEC? Lost to a Oklahoma team that was lucky to be #2 in Big 12? All this having a 4 year quarterback with very little rebuilding to be done.

Seems the curtains were pulled back a little this year.
Very little rebuilding? Good lord, thats telling, other than the skill positions there was a lot of rebuilding this year. Lost to an Auburn team that was not last years team, despite outgaining them by 100yards, that gave FSU all they could handle. I dont personally know a single Alabama fan, there might be a few on here though, that thought we would beat OK after the Iron Bowl loss, and it wasnt because of OK.

wizz screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 02:21 PM
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #98
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Maybe he's just not that good?
Oh, come on!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #99
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
I dont get that either. I think Sabans looking for someone to better utilize the talent he has on offense and maybe produce a first round QB, which he hasn't done. Kiffin is slimey, but he has offense credentials. Carroll is a great coach and he moved Kiffin through the ranks quickly, so there is definately something there as an OC/position coach. Terrible head coach though.

And if you watched enough bama games this year, you know something needed to be done. There was a lot of underutilized talent on offense.
It may be that he's realizing that sometimes he needs to go beyond power football, especially when he needs points in a hurry. He's never had a great QB. Kiffin can recruit and he may find one and develop him for Saban.

I wonder if some of this kvetching is because folks are realizing that if Kiffin makes a success of this -- and he probably will -- then he gets another good head coach job somewhere within 5 years? And Kiffin as a head coach really seems to put some people's teeth on edge.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #100
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It may be that he's realizing that sometimes he needs to go beyond power football, especially when he needs points in a hurry. He's never had a great QB. Kiffin can recruit and he may find one and develop him for Saban.

I wonder if some of this kvetching is because folks are realizing that if Kiffin makes a success of this -- and he probably will -- then he gets another good head coach job somewhere within 5 years? And Kiffin as a head coach really seems to put some people's teeth on edge.
Well, if you are so good that you can't recruit a great QB, and all the teams that have beaten you lately are non-power football teams, I'd say yeah, it's time for a little change.

But hell, a really good coach would have thought about that after last years A&M loss.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #101
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,288
Quote:
Oh, come on!
To put it in F1 terms, he's a backmarker with that brings a big bank account.

"Comez nau Lane, I too vill manage zur kareer."

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #102
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

The Best Job in College Football

Well see those gifts, that $100 million in "gifts"-- naming the business school and erecting a statue aren't quite enough.

See Miss University, when Daddy buys you a car, a condo and bunches of clothes and jewelry you had better be there to put out when Daddy calls.

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A billionaire donor to the University of Texas says the hire of new football coach Charlie Strong was like a ''kick in the face.''

Red McCombs has donated millions to Texas, and his name is on the north side of the football stadium. He publicly lobbied for Texas to hire Jon Gruden.

Hours after Strong was introduced Monday at a campus news conference, McCombs, the former owner of the Minnesota Vikings and the San Antonio Spurs, complained to KZDC-AM in San Antonio that he was ignored in the coaching search.

''I think it is a kick in the face,'' McCombs said. ''Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game.'' (Just like Jerry Jones knows football, wealth=football knowledge in Texas)

McCombs said prominent donors had a lot of input when Texas hired Mack Brown in 1997. This time, the coaching search was led by new athletic director Steve Patterson.

McCombs said Texas got the selection ''wrong'' and that Strong would be a good position coach or coordinator. He later said he would support Strong and wished him well when they spoke by phone Sunday night.

Patterson said Tuesday that Strong was the best choice. McCombs did not immediately return a telephone message.

''Like in any large, diverse organization there will be varying opinions,'' Patterson said. ''The job of a senior executive is to take all of those views into account and made the best decision for the organization as a whole. And we did that in this case.''

Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #103
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Well see those gifts, that $100 million in "gifts"-- naming the business school and erecting a statue aren't quite enough.

See Miss University, when Daddy buys you a car, a condo and bunches of clothes and jewelry you had better be there to put out when Daddy calls.

You're a coupla days behind there good buddy.

"Red McCombs sorry for criticism"

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-fo...ie-strong-hire

His choice for head coach was well known even before Strong was hired, and Texas ignored him. So much for boosters.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #104
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Quote:
You're a coupla days behind there good buddy.

"Red McCombs sorry for criticism"

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-fo...ie-strong-hire

His choice for head coach was well known even before Strong was hired, and Texas ignored him. So much for boosters.
I know, I read it a few days ago...thought it needs to be here. But was either using tablets (suck for quoting articles) or too busy at work.

Haven't kept up with the mea culpas-which being a cynic, I don't really buy. But I do think (not just at Texas) there is quite a bit of concubine/john relationship with donors and universities.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #105
wxwax
Excited Member

The bit about being a good position coach was a gratuitous insult. I have no idea why he would say something so stupid.

The hate for Kiffin runs deep! In the local paper the comments are running about 70-30 against, with plenty of folks saying they'll not root for Alabama while Kiffin is there. A lot of them remember his time at Tennesse, although not very clearly. Many of them forget he was the last coach to take TN to a bowl.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: