Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
skamper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Transalp Windscreen question

Hello All,
I am a new old transalp owner; '71 and '89 respectively. I am psyched to have purchased one from it's original owner this past Saturday. It is bone-stock with 13,000 miles on it. Although I have not ridden it yet, the first thing I am looking at doing is replacing the windscreen with a taller one. I am about 5' 8". I would appreciate any advice/feedback on this mod. Thanx
skamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
By all accounts, the stock windshield, despite the way it looks, does provide some decent wind protection. Mine was already swapped out when purchased but I'm sure someone with a stock will chime in.

Givi make a taller screen as well as a few others. I have a Zero Gravity which isn't too bad.

If you haven't found it yet, this is the thread for all things Transalp.

cheers
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
skamper OP
Adventurer

thanks

I have been pouring over threads and have heard unfavorable things about the clearview but what about the rifle and the gustavon (sp?) I am a New Yorker and year round rider so heated grips and a good screen are essential. However, I have been down the bobble-head road of buffeting before and not necessarily a fan of that route. Just want to keep it off my chest and neck. had an old-style klr once upon a time with the factory taller screen which did a bang-up job. The Gustavonyo...whatever seems of similar design. anyone had experience with this one?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamper View Post
Hello All,
I am a new old transalp owner; '71 and '89 respectively. I am psyched to have purchased one from it's original owner this past Saturday. It is bone-stock with 13,000 miles on it. Although I have not ridden it yet, the first thing I am looking at doing is replacing the windscreen with a taller one. I am about 5' 8". I would appreciate any advice/feedback on this mod. Thanx

You purchased a great bike. I would first ride your TA before assuming a aftermarket windscreen is needed. I have had a variety of aftermarket screens, I can't tell you all the brands because I inherited them on various Transalps that I have owned but I did not like any of them.

Helmet buffeting and most annoying was my line of sight being level with the top edge of the screen are just two of the things I did not like. The GIVI while having a longer screen length than the original is designed to mount at such a angle that the net effect is only about 1" "taller" and throws the wind directly at your chest and neck, in your case at 5' 8" probably right in your face. The GIVI is the best looking but the worst in terms of doing any good.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a screen they are happy with but I haven't found one that is better than the original.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
skamper OP
Adventurer

thanks...I will try the stocker first. But if anyone has had any luck with any particular model please chime in.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
skamper OP
Adventurer

Alternator question

Does anyone know the output of the alternators on these beasties. Is there a lot of room for accessories?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamper View Post
Does anyone know the output of the alternators on these beasties. Is there a lot of room for accessories?
The best thread to ask Transalp questions is in the Transalp Mod section, scroll down the Beast page to find it. There you will get a wider range of answers from experienced TA owners.

310 watts.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
skamper OP
Adventurer

thanks for the direction...I am new to this system
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Here is the Zero Gravity windscreen on mine:

It isn't perfect but does the job for me - very little helmet buffeting noticed, but this is actually the first bike I've ever owned that had a windscreen (unless I count the little fly screen I had on my Thruxton) so have been accustomed to full wind blast so perhaps my standards are a bit low.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote