User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
focallength OP
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
racing medical support

Anyone have any lines on companies that provide medical support for crews or entire events? Ive done some searches but mostly come up empty.

Dosent matter if the companies are national (U.S) or international.

I ask because Im working on my paramedic lisence, and I enjoy wilderness/rural medicine. I know this is mostly a field for the M.D and R.N, but Im sure theirs a niche for paramedicine., especially since the skills of a M.D. are not that much needed in a remote area.
Ive toyed with the idea of maybe even hooking up with some teams, but not sure how that would work, especially since in the states in order to provide ALS care I would need to be operating under a physicians license.

thanks

focallength screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 06:03 PM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,048
Get in touch with these guys, very helpful and great to deal with at our local off road races.

http://www.motorcyclepatrol.org

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Rawhyde

You might want to call Jim out in SoCal and see if he would be interested in taking you on for a contract or two. If you have good bike skills and can teach noobs, then you would be an ideal candidate for his program.

He does domestic and international bike tours which are either mostly self-guided or fully guided. All of his tours are fully supported by a rotating staff depending on season and location. You could plug in to support those programs.

Please realize that a full paramedic skill set may be of little use compared to a WEMT or WFR in this context. If you are already an EMT with experience in an urban context, you would likely be just as valuable with a wilderness endorsement from an outfit like Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS than you would be as a new paramedic. A WEMT isn't all that different from a WFR, except that with a program like Jim's you are more likely to interface with URBAN EMS and having the EMT background would likely be the practical experience that would allow you to communicate well with those folks. Some WFRs don't have any substantial time on the radio coordinating pickups and transfer of care. An EMT does and that would matter to me if I were Jim.

Just remember that your skills can't be utilized by any organization without having a medical director (MD). I'm not sure Jim would find a medical director willing to sign off on a paramedic skill set in a wilderness context...you also won't travel with much gear on a bike so when you are first on scene you likely will be acting as a BLS responder with a simple trauma kit. A solid WFR in this context is just as good as an EMT-P. These are just some things to think about.

good luck.

BTW, this past fall Jim sent out an all-call for employee candidates...he may still be looking.

sellmeyer screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 06:17 PM
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
I've been on only a couple of teams in with Paramedics in my 40 years of racing Baja. Those teams were large factory teams from the days gone by and no longer race. Commonly there are Paramedics who area also racers or pit/chase crew members of teams, but their medical support is secondary. Here in Southern California there is a group who provides support to local desert races called Rescue 3: http://www.rescuethree.com/ You could also contact SCORE International directly to see about being part of their medical support team. http://score-international.com/ There is also Best in the Desert who puts on races in California, Nevada, & Arizona: http://www.bitd.com/ I believe that Rescue 3 may do the support for at least some of the BITD races.