Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
stickman1432 OP
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Have you replaced a Fuel Strip/fuel level indicatior????

Today I was cruising along on my 2008 GS that had 38970 miles on it when the Yellow fuel level triangle came on and began to flash. I thought what the hell is going on since I knew that the tank was full. I checked the rest of the instrument panel and it indicated that it was loosing mileage range at a very rapid pace. I figured that it was the "Infamous" fuel sensor strip that I had read about.

Now I don't believe that the dealer will take care of it under warranty, but who knows. So my question is has anyone replaced the unit successfully and if so is it worth spending the money at the dealership since the part cost about $150. In reviewing the parts fiche it appears that one would need a special tool to take and put back on the metal ring that holds the fuel pump etc into the fuel tank. Number 10 is the fuel strip and 8 is the specialty ring.

Plus does one have to calibrate the sensor?

10 16 14 7 675 547 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 0.18 1 $149.80

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
If you think it might be a fuel strip problem and the bike is no longer under warranty maybe you can try to zap it.
See thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=strip&page=17

Page 17, post 253.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
nielsm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I've been quoted about $400 to replace it with parts and labor, since it wasn't covered under warranty.

Mine is the reverse, it always shows the tank as full, ran out of gas a couple times because of that. Now I just go back to old school odometer reset and refill early.

On newer bikes they have been either going back to a float system, or removing the fuel gauge.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
BumpyRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Today I was cruising along on my 2008 GS that had 38970 miles on it when the Yellow fuel level triangle came on and began to flash. I thought what the hell is going on since I knew that the tank was full. I checked the rest of the instrument panel and it indicated that it was loosing mileage range at a very rapid pace. I figured that it was the "Infamous" fuel sensor strip that I had read about.

Now I don't believe that the dealer will take care of it under warranty, but who knows. So my question is has anyone replaced the unit successfully and if so is it worth spending the money at the dealership since the part cost about $150. In reviewing the parts fiche it appears that one would need a special tool to take and put back on the metal ring that holds the fuel pump etc into the fuel tank. Number 10 is the fuel strip and 8 is the specialty ring.

Plus does one have to calibrate the sensor?

10 16 14 7 675 547 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 0.18 1 $149.80
Yes, you have to calibrate the sensor. It has to be calibrated dry, connected but outside the tank. You can't replace it and ride to a dealer for calibration. I replaced the one in my '08 GS. Since I also own an '10 RT I chose to buy a GS911 which will perform the calibration and many other useful diagnostics. The cost was close to having the dealer install one strip and calibrate.
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
LosAlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
2008 fuel strip

FWIW, I had the fuel strip on my 2008 1200 GS replaced about two months ago by a dealer. $300 and change for parts and labor. That includes a two year warranty on the part.
My bike is very low mileage but I noticed in it's paper trail that the original owner had the fuel strip replaced under warranty. Mine makes two replacements in under 6K miles.
LosAlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
2wheelsrule
youth survivor

Oddometer: 160
A few months ago I replaced the strip on my '09 with 12k miles on it. No recal needed, though I imagine that depends on how closely the new strip matches the old one electrically. You do need to drain the tank and remove the fuel pump assembly, since that is where the connector is located. The whole process took me about an hour.

There is an older thread around here on removing the fuel pump ring. A piece of wood with properly located drywall screws works just fine.

Karl
2wheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
stickman1432 OP
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
No workie !!!

I built the zapper that GroceryRun described in his entry. First I read the entry by Kr3W and followed each step to the "T". But after trying it 3 times the zapper did not correct the problem with the fuel strip. Still have the yellow triangle, the flashing fuel sign and no fuel bars on left side of the instrument panel.

What's next?

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
simmonsk133
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Did you get it off the sidestand and ride it? The computer does not heat the sensor and read it until the sidestand is up.
Good luck..Ken
Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Anvil Block
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I replaced the fuel strip on my 08, myself. I bought the bmw cap wrench made for removing the ring. It worked better for removing the ring, than for reinstalling the ring to the specified torque. Quite frankly, if you are careful, you could probably remove and reinstall the ring with a pair of large channel-lock pliers, and torque to feel.

Be sure that you buy a new gasket for the ring, when you buy the new fuel strip. My old gasket was vitrified(hardened)--and leaked like a sieve, when I reinstalled it (the dealer didn't have one in stock when I bought the new fuel strip). The replacement gasket was noticeably more pliable (rubbery) than the original gasket. The Reprom says to coat the gasket with a dielectric silicone grease, when installing. I used CRD brand Di-Electric Grease as that was what my local auto parts store carried.

I recommend that you partially fill the tank off of the bike, and tip it to make sure that your gasket doesn't leak. Bein' a native texan, I just put the damn thing back together, and rode it to the gas station. Folks there got real nervous seeing fresh gas pour out all over the hot cylinder head and header (I fill up with the bike on the side stand). While this sounds amusing now, it could have been catastrophic.

I did not calibrate mine. It seems to work about like the original, before the original failed.
Anvil Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil Block View Post
The Reprom says to coat the gasket with a dielectric silicone grease, when installing. I used CRD brand Di-Electric Grease as that was what my local auto parts store carried.
This is interesting as Silicone apparently damages O2 sensors and I have always avoided introducing to the fuel system.
Many sealants note that they are O2 sensor safe, I wonder if this applies to greases as well.
It would not be the first time a manual is wrong.