ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
K7MDL OP
TE450, Jeep

Oddometer: 1,562
Day Ride on Mtn Loop Hwy Side Roads May 25

I reorganized my stable, moving out a TE610 a while back (loved that bike) and just recently my street touring bike, with the master plan to replace the 2 bikes with one long distance ADV bike. I still have my TE450 for single track fun.

Last Friday the plan finally materialized in the form of a shiny 2015 Tiger 800 XCx. Stock tires still and only 110 miles on it so far. I need to get my 500 mile break-in done, the oil changed, before I am off to the Blackdog June 5-7. Will be driving down and back on the bike and welcome any others going my way Friday afternoon.

So to accumulate my break-in miles, Monday, or perhaps Tuesday, I am thinking of exploring the side roads along the Mtn Loop Hwy, getting in as many as time allows.

Here is a list of roads I picked out that as of today, are open and clear, as reported by the FS road conditions web page. I figured I might start at the northern end and work back toward Verlot. Will also get to test how bad the 90/10 stock tires are on dirt and decide how fast I need to change them out.
  • 4021 Bear Lake & Pinnacle,
  • 4020 Schweitzer Creek
  • 4030 Mallardy
  • 4052 Deer Creek
  • 4060 Coal Lake, 49 Sloan Creek
  • 27 Rat Trap Pass
  • 2070 Helena Ridge/Murphy Creek
  • 2810 North Mountain
  • 28 Stillaguamish/Texas Pond
I am soliciting interested riders. Also open to other areas such as Stampede Pass area. Since I live near Woodinville, The Loop Hwy corridor seemed a bit closer and I have not been there for a long while. I expect to have Tuesday off, but that could change. Let me know what day works best for you.

- Mike

K7MDL screwed with this post 05-24-2015 at 06:40 PM
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
DeFens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Day Ride on Mtn Loop Hwy Side Roads May 25

I'll strongly consider a Tuesday ride; need to figure out how much proposal writing I can skip out on from work. I have an F650GS Dakar and an R1200GS - likely ride the smaller bike for side-road snooping.
I live outside Monroe (Ben Howard Road).
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
K7MDL OP
TE450, Jeep

I am waiting to hear back from a guy to verify my Tuesday work queue remains clear for me. We can set our sights on Tuesday and I am happy to pick a different ride route for Monday. Hmmm.., Maybe Hwy 20/Hwy2 Loop with some short dirt side trips or Stampede Pass for more dirt than pavement.

- Mike
Old 05-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
K7MDL OP
TE450, Jeep

Tuesday - Mtn Loop Hwy - 11am hitting the road

I am off Tuesday, planning to hit Mtn Loop Hwy area side roads. Not in a hurry to get started, got all day so planning to depart home near Monroe around 11 am. Thinking of heading north to south via Hwy 9 to Arlington, east to Darrington, then start hitting side roads in that area and work south and west back towards Granite Falls. Feel free to call me at 206 and 226 and 4899 if you wan to coordinate or even plan future rides. Short notice usually works for me, my work schedule is variable, almost like on-call duty.

I am in the process of building a summer ride calendar, assuming I remain a part time worker that long. Got lots of far-off places I want to hit, a few of them formal dual sport rallies. Some might involve towing the bike on a trailer for the longer base camp rides, maybe where a smaller 450 is coming along, but loop rides are via bike only.

Monday I elected to do a shorter ride and sort out my gear some. Did Paradise Lake Rd, over to Duval to Cherry Valley Rd to Lake Margaret, over to High Rock/Lake Fontal to some short gravel at the end, then the sport bike magnet High Bridge/Welch roads.

K7MDL screwed with this post 05-26-2015 at 12:43 AM
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
K7MDL OP
TE450, Jeep

Well work called at the 11th hour this morning, so changed plans and went to AltRider in Seattle for some new parts, then Alki Beach, then to work for the rest of the night. Sun even came out for the occasion.

That means this Mtn Loop ride will be rescheduled, still on my 2015 list :-). Will post again in the future, hopefully with more solid timeline.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Sedro Tom
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
Well work called at the 11th hour this morning, so changed plans and went to AltRider in Seattle for some new parts, then Alki Beach, then to work for the rest of the night. Sun even came out for the occasion.

That means this Mtn Loop ride will be rescheduled, still on my 2015 list :-). Will post again in the future, hopefully with more solid timeline.
Mike, come on up to Rockport on Thursday and join us for fun on the Illabot Crk Road.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
K7MDL OP
TE450, Jeep

Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately have to attend to other things until probably Monday. I have not been on Illabot Crk Road and I was eyeballing that for future riding.

- Mike