ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
Trayvessio OP
Super Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 118
Trip from Seattle to Sacramento in Mid-March?

I've got about 10 days off starting on March 11. I'm planning on visiting some friends in the Sacramento area. I'm also thinking of visiting a friend in San Francisco and another friend in Reno.

I'm trying to decide whether to drive or ride down. I've made the trip several times before on my bike (DL650, Happy Trails panniers, Ortlieb dry bag) and really enjoyed it. I've taken I-5 all the way down in car and bike. I've taken 97/197 down to Reno and then across Lake Tahoe. I've done HW-36 from Redding through the twisties there.

In a normal winter, I'm pretty sure I-5 or the coast would be the only options in mid-March and the car would be a strong contender due to possible snow. However, given that the winter here has been pretty lackluster, I'm thinking the bike may still be possible.

My question is this: what problems do you foresee heading to Sacramento from Seattle in mid-March? Any thoughts about snow? Has there been snow at Siskyou pass? Am I an idiot for considering riding?

I only have 10 days and it's almost 800 miles from Seattle to Folsom so there is that consideration as well.

Looking forward to some input! And if I take the car it's no big deal, I will listen to Harry Potter on tape and bring my Santa Cruz mountain bike along and still get some two-wheel time in.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #2
Big Tall Bastard
Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 332
No snow on the Oregon I-5 passes and daytime temps should be tolerable. The only question would be interstate 80 over the sierras and coming up from Reno into Oregon? It will probably be a bit cold if you come back up from Reno into Oregon and some of those roads could be dicey, shady spots with ice, etc. I don't think I would go that route this time of year. The coast and the big slabs should be now sweat.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #3
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Sacto/SF/Reno

[QUOTE=Trayvessio;26271659]I've got about 10 days off starting on March 11. I'm planning on visiting some friends in the Sacramento area. I'm also thinking of visiting a friend in San Francisco and another friend in Reno.

Judas Priest, this is ADV.com. Do IT!
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #4
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 2,134
[QUOTE=Chip Seal;26276687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayvessio View Post
I've got about 10 days off starting on March 11. I'm planning on visiting some friends in the Sacramento area. I'm also thinking of visiting a friend in San Francisco and another friend in Reno.

Judas Priest, this is ADV.com. Do IT!
This.

I'm in Pasco from Eugene for biz this week on the bike, it's been freezing at night but so nice during the day.