ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 144
Any reason why I wouldn't want to move to Boise?

Hi all. I started a thread months ago asking y'all about how it is to live in Boise, etc. Well my wife and I are talking about finally moving, so before we actually start the long drawn out process, I figured I'd ask:

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to move to Boise?

On paper (statistics, awards, etc.) Boise looks like the best place to live ever. A few of you had told me that the pollution can get bad, but looking at cold hard facts, I can tell you that where I come from, the pollution is worse every single day of the year.
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Don't know YOU, so who knows what you will like or not, but here are a few things that I notice whenever I return:
- Not the most cosmopolitan city compared to Cal. Sure they have some local trendy spots and galleries in downtown, but for most part think suburbia. Also a strong religious foundation once you get outta the core city (Not a bad thing, just noticable)
- Pretty conservative once you get out of the core city
- It's awfully brown for a good part of the year. Always thought it was a bit ironic to be named after the "City of Trees", but compared to the rest of southern Idaho, it is a Garden spot. Get outta of the river valley and it's brown and dry. It does turn green between the white and brown seasons ~ about 2 weeks worth.
- Cold in winter, HOT in summer (Again, maybe not a bad thing)
- High housing $ vs. income $
- Job market can be tough for non-professional jobs
- No pro sports teams (meh)
- You'll think your TV is broke when you see BSU play football at home
- And finally, too damn many Californians have moved there and ruined the place (You'll hear that a lot, so I'm just preparing you)

Born and raised there, now that I'm an adult and moved away, I appreciate it quite a bit more than I did when I lived there. If you are into outdoor activities and have employement lined up, go for it. If you want to sip lattes in your designer footwear while discussing environmental politics with your gay lover, probably best to stay in Cal.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I think it's a great city. I've been there for business about 20 times over the past 10 years, but have never lived there. I do have good friends who moved there from Oregon and will never move back to Oregon. They are pretty liberal and not at all religious. Downtown is great. They have been there 10 years and love it, while having both moved up from Ca originally.

It should have great riding as the off road use laws sound very relaxed compared to other states.

I'd give it two thumbs up!

PS. No graffiti or homeless people that I recall. We always laughed that the sheriff must have given the homeless folks an ass kicking and dropped them on the Oregon border. That was a few years ago, but maybe he's still running the show. We've got one on every block around here.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Don't know YOU, so who knows what you will like or not, but here are a few things that I notice whenever I return:
- Not the most cosmopolitan city compared to Cal. Sure they have some local trendy spots and galleries in downtown, but for most part think suburbia. Also a strong religious foundation once you get outta the core city (Not a bad thing, just noticable)
- Pretty conservative once you get out of the core city
- It's awfully brown for a good part of the year. Always thought it was a bit ironic to be named after the "City of Trees", but compared to the rest of southern Idaho, it is a Garden spot. Get outta of the river valley and it's brown and dry. It does turn green between the white and brown seasons ~ about 2 weeks worth.
- Cold in winter, HOT in summer (Again, maybe not a bad thing)
- High housing $ vs. income $
- Job market can be tough for non-professional jobs
- No pro sports teams (meh)
- And finally, too damn many Californians have moved there and ruined the place (You'll hear that a lot, so I'm just preparing you)

Born and raised there, now that I'm an adult and moved away, I appreciate it quite a bit more than I did when I lived there. If you are into outdoor activities and have employement lined up, go for it. If you want to sip lattes in your designer footwear while discussing environmental politics with your gay lover, probably best to stay in Cal.
Surprised at two things:
The brown--is it at least nice and green once you get up into the mountains?
Housing prices vs. income--seemed like the housing prices were cheap, or at least cheaper than where I am, e.g. I saw houses for rent for under the $1350 I'm paying now. Does that mean income is crap?

Definitely into outdoor activities, and pretty sure I'll fit right in to the conservative crowd. I used to live in rural Ohio for a few years and really enjoyed that, I'm hoping that the people of Idaho are similar.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
Surprised at two things:
The brown--is it at least nice and green once you get up into the mountains? TO THE NORTH, YES. OTHER DIRECTIONS, NOT SO MUCH.
Housing prices vs. income--seemed like the housing prices were cheap, or at least cheaper than where I am, e.g. I saw houses for rent for under the $1350 I'm paying now. Does that mean income is crap? COMPARED TO CAL HOUSING IS CHEAP. BEST IF YOU HAVE EMPLOYEMENT LINED UP AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO INCOME WISE. CURRENT LOCALS WOULD HAVE MORE INFO ON THAT FRONT.

Definitely into outdoor activities, and pretty sure I'll fit right in to the conservative crowd. I used to live in rural Ohio for a few years and really enjoyed that, I'm hoping that the people of Idaho are similar.
Enjoy your Gem State adventure.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,040
Here is a reason: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/...udest-drivers/

Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
DaviGust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
The only strong negative is the weather in January to mid February. We suffer strong inversions in the valley that block the sun and trap pollutants for weeks at a time. The fix is to get into the mountains; take up skiing or snowmobiling.

I live relatively close in and work downtown, so I don't suffer the suburban traffic of Meridian, and get to enjoy that cosmopolitan vibe previously mentioned.

Oh, and I love the beautiful brown desert to the south. That's where the great riding is from November to May.

DaviGust screwed with this post 09-17-2014 at 07:13 PM
DaviGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
The Boise freeway's full of left lane cruiser's, but out in the sticks I dont think Idaho traffic is any worse than the rest of the northwest. Better than a lot of places actually. Going from Mountian Home to Yellowstone on hwy. 20 a few years ago the local drivers were all great.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Johnny34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
This made me laugh... I've been to Boise/Meridian about half a dozen times over the last 2 years. It's OK. Would I want to live there? No.

I didn't know jack about Oregon before I moved here 15 years ago but I knew I didn't want to live in California anymore. Just go for it and enjoy your life.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny34 View Post
This made me laugh... I've been to Boise/Meridian about half a dozen times over the last 2 years. It's OK. Would I want to live there? No.

I didn't know jack about Oregon before I moved here 15 years ago but I knew I didn't want to live in California anymore. Just go for it and enjoy your life.
We had also been considering Oregon (probably Portland area), but we had heard that cost of living is pretty steep and that the entire state is severely liberal (hence I would want to punch everyone in the face).
Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Corradokid135
Adventure Rookie

Oddometer: 22
The price of living IN Portland is definately high but if you live in the close surrounding areas it's reasonable for the job market. Places like Beaverton, Tualatin, Hillsboro , and Tigard aren't nearly as high in price compared to living in or close to dowtown Portland. The liberal population is definately strong in this part but it's something you just get use to. I have family that lives in Boise and have visted there many times and I have always liked it but couldn't say whether or not I would rather live there.

Current: 2014 KLR "New Edition" & a 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Corradokid135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3 View Post
PS. No graffiti or homeless people that I recall. We always laughed that the sheriff must have given the homeless folks an ass kicking and dropped them on the Oregon border. That was a few years ago, but maybe he's still running the show. We've got one on every block around here.
Our homeless population is growing. Winter thins it out some, but we sure seem to have a few more every year.

As already noted, we drive too slow and thus are rude: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...-by-state.html

There's no place to ride.

Stay in California. But if you insist on joining us, please leave your California attitude at the border. We don't need you fixing us. We're happy being the way we are. A liberal Idaho Democrat is more conservative than a right-wing Oregon Republican.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Our homeless population is growing. Winter thins it out some, but we sure seem to have a few more every year.

As already noted, we drive too slow and thus are rude: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...-by-state.html

There's no place to ride.

Stay in California. But if you insist on joining us, please leave your California attitude at the border. We don't need you fixing us. We're happy being the way we are. A liberal Idaho Democrat is more conservative than a right-wing Oregon Republican.
I'm more of an Ohio boy than anything else
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 576
From my whole 3 years or living in Caldwell....30 miles west of Boise. Seems like there is winter and summer with only a 2 week transition. The AC or heater is always used except for those 2 week transition times. Not much snow in the valley but damm is it cold. First year here the inversion was bad and it was kinda foggy and never got above freezing for over a month.

I am not a religious person and have not had anyone try to convert me and seems to be no shortage of other like minded people.

Wages are low and unless you have a good connection or a skill in serious shortage a decent paying job ($20/hr.) will be most challenging.

If you like off road riding............it's just horrible here.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,871
If you need green, Boise may not be your place. Cold spring rains lead to sun and green during spring, but it dries up quick and sun burns everything to a crisp. Green season is short. Sometimes the green peeks thru the snow and turns brown.

The worst thing about Idaho? Probably Idahoans. Or, it could be the best thing about Idaho,

I'm considered a liberal, in Idaho, and I'm not against guns and routinely protest against seatbelt laws. What a bunch of BS. Protecting me against myself. Bah.

My driving has slowed some the last few years. Can't get by me on the curvy road? Tuff. I payed my taxes.

Oregon is very nice...

thetourist screwed with this post 09-18-2014 at 01:36 PM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote