ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #271
Bucket Boy
The other mechanic

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
BucketBoy,

You show tonight with your buds and I will buy you guys beer.

Thank you but we got done building trails late and stopped in at the brewery at 8pm. It was empty. You should see the berms going down the ridge.... 7ft deep!!

If anyone here mountain bikes go check out Alsea Falls in the coming weeks, great new downhill trails packed with features.
Bucket Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #272
CrackedCanyon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Carefully pick who you ride with

Ran across this in a magazine and thought of certain members of our group:

"You need to carefully pick who you ride with...Highly experienced dirt riders are to be avoided as their thought process does not follow that of normal people. The self-preservation circuit in their brain has somehow been short-circuited, and they are oblivious to the fact that others may not want to risk six months in a body cast..."

Anybody coming Tuesday? JeepFreek and I were there last week, with KillerD's mechanic, and Zuber made a very brief cameo - but that was it.

Lucinda Williams
CrackedCanyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #273
Bucket Boy
The other mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedCanyon View Post
Ran across this in a magazine and thought of certain members of our group:

"You need to carefully pick who you ride with...Highly experienced dirt riders are to be avoided as their thought process does not follow that of normal people. The self-preservation circuit in their brain has somehow been short-circuited, and they are oblivious to the fact that others may not want to risk six months in a body cast..."
Just don't crash. I tell myself that all the time and it works!

I'll be there this Tues as well.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #274
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Don't believe everything you read.
Ride your own ride.
Don't blame others for your lack of skill.
Some of us have been at it for a long time and keep it honed to a high degree with a lot of seat time.
Don't think you can do what others can just because you have the same equipment.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #275
CrackedCanyon
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
Don't believe everything you read.
Ride your own ride.
Don't blame others for your lack of skill.
Some of us have been at it for a long time and keep it honed to a high degree with a lot of seat time.
Don't think you can do what others can just because you have the same equipment.
The article was really meant to be funny. He also talked about choosing your dual-sport bike by lying under it in a pool of muddy water and seeing if you could get out from under it and pick it up. Afraid I'd fail that one with the KLR...though I have actually been under it once...

I only hope to reach some fraction of those skills someday! Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

Lucinda Williams
Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #276
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Missing Hwy 34

'Been doing the aging parent thing, so I was caging East from Waldport yesterday and must have passed, literally, a hundred bikes headed West on 34. My pal Walt and I used to rail our old Hondas over to Waldport from Philomath, lunch on the bayfront in Newport, and either scream back on 20 or wander home via Siletz, Nashville, Summit and Blodget. 101 along Hood Canal has a similar feel if you ride it before the motorhomes get up in the morning.
Gave me goosebumps everytime I met one of those modern bikes in a corner on Hwy34! dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #277
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
"Gave me goosebumps everytime I met one of those modern bikes in a corner on Hwy34! dd "

Put many a miles on that road myself with sport bikes.
I remember years ago coming around a blind corner on my ZX7R banked over and meeting two other bikes. It did not surprise me, waved the peace sign and zoomed on with my typical pace.
It did startled the other two riders...saw them pucker up...
It was two motor cops !
Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #278
Bucket Boy
The other mechanic

Great meetup on Tuesday Dave! Keep up the good work.

Hmmm, piggy...
Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #279
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Boy View Post
Great meetup on Tuesday Dave! Keep up the good work.

Hmmm, piggy...
Please, please......its mediocre work at best...

For those curious about the Heidenau K60, I havent been able to do any serious off road testing yet, but the street performance is nothing short of incredible. Rides just like a street tire. Faster, smoother turn ins, less mid corner adjustment, and doesnt have the step up/down feeling you get from the bigger knobbies. Hoping its as promising offroad as it is on!
KillerD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #280
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,712
Finally got time to work on my own bike. I pulled the drain plugs about November. Maybe, I'll finally ride a bike to dinner.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #281
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

Got some gorgeous miles in today, down in Tahoe National forest. Will be to the Bay Area come tomorrow, and Sacramento after that, so I'll miss you lot again Tuesday, but I will certainly have some good photos/stories upon my return....anyone ever break an oil drain bolt off half way inside the pan...? I have!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #282
CrackedCanyon
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
I will certainly have some good photos/stories upon my return....anyone ever break an oil drain bolt off half way inside the pan...? I have!
You KNOW the answer to that, KillerD. Of COURSE no one but you has ever done that, or completely blown out their front forks, or...

Can't wait to see the description you write on Craigslist for that poor KLR when you get your KTM. It won't be the usual "never ridden off road or ridden in the rain" line.

Lucinda Williams
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #283
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

Did I figure out how to post photos....did I? Did I?
If these came across ok, three are from our ride to the coast, the rest are of my families property at Mt. Marliave (yes, we have a mountain named after us) where I spent the weekend riding and hiking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #284
CrackedCanyon
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
Did I figure out how to post photos....did I? Did I?
You DID! We are very proud of you, Killer. You are no longer an embarrassment to your generation. Cool pix, too! Looks like you're getting in some R&R...glad to see it.

Lucinda Williams
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #285
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,317
It would appear you finally stepped into an Arai and got rid of that shite helmet we both have. how's the head now?