User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
990 - Another Saddle Question

I have a '13 Adv and when riding dual sport solo, I use a Corbin. It's not that comfy but adequate since I stand half the time anyway.

I almost bought a second bike, a sport tourer for strictly road, solo or two-up, but the GF suggested instead of blowing $10k, how about investing in another 990 saddle for strictly road rides. Not a bad idea.

I'm considering the Seat Concepts '2-up comfort' seat ($160) or a Mayer saddle (around $600) since both are some what close to my work in LA, CA.

I'm looking for any additional input from you guys here that use your Adv for touring also.

I'm looking for a 500 mile/day saddle, regardless of cost, and Russell Saddles are out.....they look a little too rough on the eyes for me.

grant22 screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 08:06 PM
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,726
I've had different bikes with all the seats you've mentioned. They are all a weak attempt to satisfy the masses. I've only been happy with a custom seat made personally for me. It was expensive, took a half day and was the best money spent.

http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm
Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
If I could have two seats , one being for road touring only and some 2up, I would have a Russell Daylong. Very ugly on these bikes but very comfey also.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 337
better be moving along

If your girlfriend is already talking you out of buying more bikes, it's time to buy another bike and start looking for a new girlfriend.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe I didn't clarify: she was explaining she had no complaints with the 990. She said buy something I wanted with the money instead of a bike just so she can go.

She's quite the keeper, and I sure as F didn't want to buy a sport tourer.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I have tried every seat under the sun. I always end a long touring day on a Russell Daylong. Sure, they are not pretty... but your ass will be happy. I have done some big miles on a 990. Back in 08 I did a 50 CC (Coast to Coast in 50 hours or less)on my 990. That's San Diego Ca. to Jacksonville Beach Fl. in 38 hours, just shy of 2400 miles on a Russell. Plus several 1500+ days, but I am a extremist and love just sitting and twisting.

I have also used a Russell riding the Mountain passes in Colorado without any problems standing, or the wings getting in the way.

I also have Renazco Racing custom seat for local riding (300 miles from home or less). It is a great dual sport seat.

If you have a Russell built, request Jay. He has built 6 seats for me, and I have had great results. Plus, he will talk to you on the phone, and build what you want.

Hope this helps,
Smitty
2005 KTM 525 EXC...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thx. I may look into a Russell and ask for them to keep it conservative looking.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Thx. I may look into a Russell and ask for them to keep it conservative looking.

Good luck changing the look... I just throw my jacket over it before anyone see's it... But your back side will be happy, happy, happy..

Smitty
2005 KTM 525 EXC...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
I wasn't too keen on the SC saddle made for me locally. I did a few 1000+ mile days and it killed my arse.

Like one of the above riders mentioned, try having a local guy custom make a seat for you. I've done that 2 or 3 times with pretty good results.

But I will say, the most comfortable seats I have are the ugliest.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 533
I'll throw a vote in for James and Sonia over at Renazco. When I bought my 990, it came with a taller Renazco on it, and I did 400 miles that day of slab cruising back home. I never really could figure out what the big deal was with them, especially after I sat on it in the parking lot of the dealer, but after the first hundred miles, my ass wasn't sore. When I stopped for gas, my ass still wasn't sore...after 300 miles, it still wasn't sore...really the most comfortable seat i've ever had.

On that seat I did another 500 miles or so in a weekend on a few rides with no beef at all, but the seat that came on it was too wide up front for a skinny dude like me to stand much off road, and was a bit too tall, so I contacted James and Sonia and got on their waiting list for one built for me. After a couple months, I just got it this week, and can't wait till my shock/forks get back from Alex at Konflict to test it out.

-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,649
I've heard many great things about seatconcepts, and am considering one for myself.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
dirtbikebagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
After 5k miles on it I really love my Seat Concepts standard height seat. Its taller than the stock standard, but not too much. Its flat from the dip back so you can sit anywhere on it, great after a long day of asphalt when just switching spots makes a huge difference in comfort. Reminds me alot of my old Sargent Seat for the DR650.
Stock seat pan was a huge concern too... I've had too many aftermarket parts that dont fit, and with the stock seat pan, its sho nuf gonna fit! Gripper seating area with carbon sides and orange stitch looks pretty snazzy too!
I installed mine, but unless you have an air stapler already, I would pay them to install it as well. Electric and standard staplers suck and finding the perfect length staples is tough in some spots.
dirtbikebagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
munstro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
To those with Renazko's should I go with the all suede version? Mixed on/off road use with a definite bias towards the dirt (running knobbies). Bike is a 990. Thanks for any input!
munstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
seat

Rode my '12 990 Adventure from Cincinnati,Ohio to New Mexico,then lots of dirt and roads in Colorado and back on stock seat no big problems but occasional numb nuts relieved by standing a few seconds,do wish it was a bit thinner at the front for easier standing but not bad enough to bother.Think I'll keep it as is.
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep in mind, this thread was asking about a 2-up touring saddle.