ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
kzeb OP
motomaniac
 
kzeb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Scandinavia
Oddometer: 45
Cry 990 Adv + Power Commander-V

I have a question that I ain't seen any consistent answer to anywhere but I believe alot
of us are interested in:
Is it possible to get rid of the "snatchy throttle" syndrome with the PC-V and a dyno tune on the later 990's for real...?

And please don't even mention Tune ECU I ain't got the time or the desire
to the endless trial and error testing that seems to be the case there...

This is my last attempt for staying with the 990 (unless the Kehin FCR's get a choke any time soon...)

Right now I got a -06 990 S as I bought new,
It's a super great bike as long as you drive hard, not so good two up... to say the least, the wife won't even concider going for a ride any more ( and me either...it's a bloody pain...).
I've had another bike for that before but life have changed and that bike is gone now,
so now I really need a great offroad bike that can handle a passenger.
I do not like to get rid of 990's superb capacity/looks and be forced to get the "whale" like 1190R....

So if the PC-V is the cure then there must be a few inmates sitting on the answer, or atleast I hope so

Cheers
__________________
KTM ADVENTURE 990S -06 ------>
HUSABERG FE 570 -09-------->

KTM 690 Enduro R -11------> ...Gone
kzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,395
Unsure about PC - V straight up so can't answer that.

.... have you tried a G400 throttle cam?, that will help, won't solve it but I am looking at the 1+1+1 sorta thing.

A good friend of mine in New Zealand has a PC - V and autotune on his SDR and this sorted his out so I assume it will help you.

Best for getting it sorted.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
oilrecycler
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 14
I also have a 07 990. It has a PC3, that did help with the Dyno tune. I want to change cams and put a Rottweiler intake on it so I am just waiting for the PCV and Auto Tune. I didn't want to live with the way KTM left it. And like the idea of doing it myself. I will let you know how it works out.
oilrecycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
kzeb OP
motomaniac
 
kzeb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Scandinavia
Oddometer: 45
Hi
Yes I have the G400 cam, got it years ago it helped a tiny bit, but it do nothing for the "hunting" issue which is another hassle....

The early bikes are the worst, so I thought of getting a later one that are supposed to be better out of the box, and PC-V compatible.
But before I go that route I'd like to be darn ceartain it will work....

Looking forward to your findings oilrecycler and good luck !

__________________
KTM ADVENTURE 990S -06 ------>
HUSABERG FE 570 -09-------->

KTM 690 Enduro R -11------> ...Gone
kzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzeb View Post
Hi
Yes I have the G400 cam, got it years ago it helped a tiny bit, but it do nothing for the "hunting" issue which is another hassle....

The early bikes are the worst, so I thought of getting a later one that are supposed to be better out of the box, and PC-V compatible.
But before I go that route I'd like to be darn ceartain it will work....

Looking forward to your findings oilrecycler and good luck !

OK, other thing is the o2 sensors?, these do make a difference if disabled but the key is to get rid of the very lean snatchy spot straight off the bottom.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
tedmarshall
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tedmarshall's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Wilmette, Illinois
Oddometer: 498
PCV worked for me

I had a 2010 990 with the worst fueling of any bike I've owned. Bucked, surged, died, coughed. Wouldn't run smoothly below 3750 rpm.
Voila, put on the Power Commander V and the bike was transformed.
The most important thing for me was having the ability to give the bike throttle in the 3000-3750 rpm range and not having it threaten to die or falter. This was always the case in normal around town driving, especially in left had turns.

Also, after installing the PCV I could work the bike off-road(gravel whoops) in a higher gear.

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast of California
Oddometer: 144
I have a PCV on my 2011 990R and had it dyno tuned. It helped a lot, but its still there. My fiance feels the same way about the 990R. She dislikes it a lot but will go if I push the topic. The bike is very responsive but still has that abruptness in the throttle.

BG
__________________
Bruce
Camarillo, CA
2011 KTM Adventure 990
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Bighat
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 29
I have an 07 , it has a smooth throttle...have you done the latest ecu update..do you have good voltage, check the regulator rectifier...and battery...quality fuel, try some race gas...clogged injectors....?
Bighat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzeb View Post
I have a question that I ain't seen any consistent answer to anywhere but I believe alot
of us are interested in:
Is it possible to get rid of the "snatchy throttle" syndrome with the PC-V and a dyno tune on the later 990's for real...?

And please don't even mention Tune ECU I ain't got the time or the desire
to the endless trial and error testing that seems to be the case there...

This is my last attempt for staying with the 990 (unless the Kehin FCR's get a choke any time soon...)

Right now I got a -06 990 S as I bought new,
It's a super great bike as long as you drive hard, not so good two up... to say the least, the wife won't even concider going for a ride any more ( and me either...it's a bloody pain...).
I've had another bike for that before but life have changed and that bike is gone now,
so now I really need a great offroad bike that can handle a passenger.
I do not like to get rid of 990's superb capacity/looks and be forced to get the "whale" like 1190R....

So if the PC-V is the cure then there must be a few inmates sitting on the answer, or atleast I hope so

Cheers
We are currently installing a PCV+autotune+ITG on a 990R, so I guess we will have an opinion soon
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Renierd
Renierd
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 28
Different topic maybe, but I went 17/45 on the sprockets, and that also improved the snatchy throttle a bit.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Renierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer
 
tahoeacr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lake Tahoe
Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzeb View Post
I
And please don't even mention Tune ECU I ain't got the time or the desire
to the endless trial and error testing that seems to be the case there...

The endless trial and error is because it is not being used appropriately. How can you expect to fix an Air/Fuel problem without a wide-band. Secondly, no matter which you use, you need to know a little about tuning an engine.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #12
Pistolero
W. F. O.
 
Pistolero's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: TN
Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post

The endless trial and error is because it is not being used appropriately. How can you expect to fix an Air/Fuel problem without a wide-band. Secondly, no matter which you use, you need to know a little about tuning an engine.
^ this



A larger issue than whether or not it will fix the throttle snatch is the fact that PC-V is only available for 09 and up 990's

I have a Bazzaz with autotune for sale. PM me if interested OP.

Pistolero screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 11:55 PM
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Bardley
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 6
I have to say that my '08 gets snatchy as the time approaches for chain adjustment, but on the whole, with the throttle cam fitted, and super unleaded, it runs fine.

It will pickup from about 2500 revs now, something that the better fuel has helped with, and overall there's less knock, and its a pleasure to ride.

I've never really found the 'snatch' to make it uncomfortable, you just have to be smooth with it. If its lumpy in a gear then go lower.

I've ridden Ducati twins, Singles, and Buells's. They all have low end V Twin quirks.

A parallel twin or Four is alot smoother and softer to ride.

If you compare a V strom/ Varadero etc to the 990's that KTM build- they are in a completely different tune.



A different sprocket setup may help, but reading the many post both here and on other forums, It seems that the engine Is what it is.


Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
__________________
'08 990Adv in Orange.Akras.Grips,Throttle Cam,Luggage Rails,KTM TBox, Pavement Princess..
Bardley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer
 
tahoeacr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lake Tahoe
Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
^ this



A larger issue than whether or not it will fix the throttle snatch is the fact that PC-V is only available for 09 and up 990's

I have a Bazzaz with autotune for sale. PM me if interested OP.
It works on the older bikes. They just don't advertise this because they haven't personally fitted one on. Nor do they care to fit one. Many an 07-08 has been offered up and I guess it doesn't fit into their schedule.

Bazzaz works great too! Have a friend that ran one until he sold his 990.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
Pistolero
W. F. O.
 
Pistolero's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: TN
Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
It works on the older bikes. They just don't advertise this because they haven't personally fitted one on. Nor do they care to fit one. Many an 07-08 has been offered up and I guess it doesn't fit into their schedule.

Bazzaz works great too! Have a friend that ran one until he sold his 990.

I wish PC was aware of that haha. I called and talked to two different people at PC before I purchased the Bazzaz.
They told me it would not work and they were not planning to make a PC-V for the 07-08's.

Now I know.

To the OP, sorry for my misinformation, I figured Power Commander would have told me the truth ha.
The Bazzaz and PC will make it more smooth but it's still not going to feel like a CV carbed bike.
I ditched it because as stated above Tuneecu is an effective tool if applied properly.

Also I took a trip out west this summer and got some pretty good elevation.
Silly me... Didn't bring my laptop and man my 990 was a turd up there. Tuned for about 600ft ASL (where I live obviously).. She didn't much care for the conditions around Grand Teton I can tell you that.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014