ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
I pulled the triger and shot him down

You have to excuse the sleep in my eyes, no coffee yet but I needed to stop and smell the roses. Wait this is not geting off to the start that I wanted so here it is........ After a month or so of hiting Craigs list, E-bay, Cycle trader and local shops I weeded my self down to two a choise of two bikes that I wanted to buy, klr and drz. Then after spending much time soul searching and watching our very own super hero scout the roads, trails and single track I decided I did not want to go with a bike as big as the klr 650 so I followed along the same track as a few of you and set the eye on the drz400.

Well after stumbling over this one on Craigs list for a 2004 drz400e with 150 miles on it for 5,000 I out of accedent looked up the NADA list price and set him off an e-mail asking him how firm he was on the price and if the bike had current plates and tabs (after looking at so many bikes I lost track, E or S there all the same right) After the e-mail was sent reread the post and realized that the picture the specs the guy had and all the information was for an E bike and I was set on a S bike, oh the hunt is still on............I end up geting an e-mail back from this guy saying he knows he will need to adjust the price and the tabs are good till next April with his phone number, huh. I called him and asked about turn signals, lights, all the street stuff and yea this is a S bike not an E. We talk a little on the phone and I let him know his price was quite a bit high but if he was willing to get a little closer to NADA price on the bike I would be willing to drive from Seattle to Vancouver to take a look at it, so off I go in the middle of Labor Day weekend rush hour traffic heading down to Vancouver to look at this bike and another drz that is down there. Well to make a long story short I bought the 2004 drz400s with 124 miles on the clock and I did not pay close to his asking price and he gave me all his brand new gear that was never used in the time he owned the bike. So after about 7 hours of driving back and forth from Vancouver to Seattle here it is still loaded in my pile of junk trunk.

This is the only damage, a bent clutch handle and the bar end has a couple of small scratchs, hell that would happen from just letting Gentry ride the bike around the parking lot

Old 09-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 978
Congrats!
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Excellent

Good Choice.

The pressure is on.

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Dale, you have got to come with us to Reiter Monday to see Wallace Falls. I swear, I'll take it easy on you guys, what with the new bikes and bruised bodies. My grandma could ride there. Ok, so she doesn't have a bike, well, she never had a bike. Alright, I don't have a grandma, but if I did, she'd be able to ride to Wallace Falls. You owe it to yourself. Remember why you drove to Vancouver? This may be your only chance this year to ride the DRZ, winter is coming.

Sweet, sweet, new meat, I mean machine.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
Dale, you have got to come with us to Reiter Monday to see Wallace Falls. I swear, I'll take it easy on you guys, what with the new bikes and bruised bodies. My grandma could ride there. Ok, so she doesn't have a bike, well, she never had a bike. Alright, I don't have a grandma, but if I did, she'd be able to ride to Wallace Falls. You owe it to yourself. Remember why you drove to Vancouver? This may be your only chance this year to ride the DRZ, winter is coming.

Do you ride to Rieter pit or trailer?

Tork
Old 09-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider

Lacey, that is a sweet offer but Stosh and I were talking about a big pig run this weekend and this thing is bone stock. I need to get a skid plate, hand guards and case gaurds at a minimum before I start riding the pit and some of that area. If I remember your quote from last week "Reiter is hard on equipment" All my luck I would damage something expensive that I could have saved with a couple of dollar part.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork
Do you ride to Rieter pit or trailer?

Tork
I trailer there. I consider Reiter serious off-roading and I only take off-road bikes, but then I ride a lot of brutal single track; steep hills, logs, big rocks, etc. Having said that, I plan to lead the dual sport bikes on old rough roads. There will be a creek crossing or two, not a smooth clear easy gravel bottom, but a long rocky path through 2' of water. If it's raining Monday all bets are off and we probably won't cross May Creek for fear of getting trapped on the far side with no alternate route out. I've seen May Creek running 6-8 feet deep where it is usually 2 feet deep with scary (horrifying) current.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Congrats Dale!

Could probably have the protective stuff bolted on by monday @ 12....

ya just need the skid plate and some guards. Ya want me to ask around?
the tyres would do fine for the maiden run I reckon.

whatever suits yas though - I dont want Stosh feelin' all left out. He's a good bloke

Nice bike man!

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy

This is the only damage, a bent clutch handle and the bar end has a couple of small scratchs, hell that would happen from just letting Gentry ride the bike around the parking lot

hey now! I just caught that

Old 09-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Thanks and yea if you find any good used stuff let me know. I was going to ask you and Bluesurf if you guys now know of the places to look for stuff at the good guy deal.

1) skid plate, what brand?
2) hand guards.
3) gas tank
4) case guards
5) rear rack and bag
6) saddle bags.
7) exhaust.
8) carb jet kit
9) I read about air box mod on thumper talk so that does not look to bad but if you guys have any feed back.
10) corbin seat.
11) is there a stater up-date so I could put some extra lights on with out killing the battery?

Anything I have left out, keep in mind this will just get me started.

Monday sounds mighty tempting but my mum is coming over to visit and possible BBQ on monday and she would sure be pissed off if I was gone, but on the other hand it will teach her for all the spankings when I was little

Lastly, I sent Stosh a pm with the link to the other drz I was looking at also in the Vancouver area to see if he was interested. Have not heard anything about the Daytona in a while I know he was standing firm on his price last time he posted and I can see Stosh out lasting anybody else when it comes to that. Just take one look at him, he looks like a hard headed sob
Old 09-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Thanks and yea if you find any good used stuff let me know. I was going to ask you and Bluesurf if you guys now know of the places to look for stuff at the good guy deal.

1) skid plate, what brand?
2) hand guards.
3) gas tank
4) case guards
5) rear rack and bag
6) saddle bags.
7) exhaust.
8) carb jet kit
9) I read about air box mod on thumper talk so that does not look to bad but if you guys have any feed back.
10) corbin seat.
11) is there a stater up-date so I could put some extra lights on with out killing the battery?

1) Call around and see whats out there for these. Call Eastside - they have stuff and jame's likes em I bleeve
2) Hand guards are easy. I went to aurora and picked some up the other day and bolted 'em onto the SM in an hour (45mins of beer drinking first). I'd recommend Acerbis
3) Clarke gas tank - call Aurora Suzuki (Ryan) or Eastside.
4) CFC case guards - call AS or ESMS
5) Suzuki Rear rack is on the list for me. Its seems to be a good one
6) www.dirtbagz.com (Mr. Cob recommended em to me) on my list
7) FMF slip on or full probably. Yoshimura is another choice I 'bleeve
8) Jet kit: Talk to dealers and thumpertalk
9) I dont know about this one... 88nx250??

10) www.corbin.com
11) I dunno about this one. Thumpertalk probably...

Old 09-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #12
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Did you spen any time looking on line for this stuff or are the prices so close that buying local is just about as good? My rule of thumb, if the prices are close at a local shop support my local guys but if there is a large difference then I'll buy on line.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Did you spen any time looking on line for this stuff or are the prices so close that buying local is just about as good? My rule of thumb, if the prices are close at a local shop support my local guys but if there is a large difference then I'll buy on line.

I bought most of my stuff locally at Aurora, Seattle Cycle Center or East side. I dont have that many mods (yet) though...

corbin from online...

A lot of these things you can go this afternoon, pick them off the the shelf and bolt them on and be good to go. I like instant gratification

It looks like you have the stock skid plate on the bike.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #14
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Congrats Big D. Looks like Suzuki is taking over.
a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
I bought most of my stuff locally at Aurora, Seattle Cycle Center or East side. I dont have that many mods (yet) though...

corbin from online...

A lot of these things you can go this afternoon, pick them off the the shelf and bolt them on and be good to go. I like instant gratification

It looks like you have the stock skid plate on the bike.
Yea I have to admit I do like the instant gratification also but you know I've been waiting for a 1.5 months with cash in hand for the right deal to come along so I can always wait a little longer but I do need to get cracking on the skid plate, case guards and hand guards at a min for DUVALL 3. The return to the woods.