ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #31
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne
Shoulda got the KLR!
Yea I know but then I would already have the owners manual, the repair manual a rear rack bag and I would know how to ride the thing and work on it from the last one I owned. I'm always looking for a new chalange to screw somthing up.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #32
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
Well then, first off, congrats. Now to the good stuff.

Engine:
-Buy a Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit, use only the Needle from the kit...
-Pull the snorkle from the airbox and cut a hole ~3"x3" around where the snorkle was.
-Pull the carb and change the main Jet to a 140 (142.5 is stock-I know it sounds weird to go to a smaller jet with the airbox open but its because the new needle is cut much more rich)
-Install the needle and put the clip on the 4th notch from the top.
-Drill out the plug so you can access the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb and tune it to somewhere around 3 turns out.
-Re-install the carb and go rip.
-Putting on the FCR39 from the early E modle is supposed to be a huge improvement when it is jetted right. This is because it is a "pumper" carb where as the stock unit is a vacume slide carb so it has slow response. I plan on doing this swap after I have to rebuild the engine when I do a big bore+stroker kit (not for atleast 20,000 more miles).
-There is a bunch of other stuff that you can change in the engine like bore, stroke, cams, head work, high comp pistons, etc.

Exhaust:
-Get a full system - a slip on helps a little but the full system is much better (I have run both) I currently have a full Yoshimura system and its pretty damn sweet. It doesn't matter much wich system you get, they are all pretty good. I leaned to Yoshimura because when the DRZ was fresh on the market, Yosh was teamed up with Suzuki and they did a TON of R&D with the racing program so I figure they must know their stuff. When you hook up a full system and combine it with the right jetting it REALLY wakes the bike up.
-If you change to a full system or a WIDE OPEN slip on then change your main jet to the stock 142.5 and turn your fuel screw out another turn or so.

Suspension:
-It works great for me...weighing in at all of 190 ish with my gear on...yours might need a bit of work...not trying to say anything...

Armor:
-CFC case guards are a good idea, cheap insurance. That said, I don't have them, and I crash a lot. I do have one dent in one of my cases though that would have been avoided if I had the CFCs.
-Skid plate, just get one. I have a Tonn's Racing plate and I HIGHLY RECOMEND it to anyone who is looking for a good beefy skid plate. Seriously, I have seen a bunch of skid plates on DRZs and the Tonn's plate is a BEAST.
-Hand Guards, get them. I recomend something like the cycra...I am not a big fan of the Acerabic (or however it's spelled).
-Levers, take a file or a drill and make a grove or a hole where you would want the lever to break off, that way when the bike hits the ground (it will) the lever will break where you want it so you can still use it.
-Radiator Guards, also cheap insurance. I also don't have them but my one of my radiators is bent. The guards are something like $100, a new radiator is something like $300 each.

Carying Capacity:
-Rear Rack, I recomend the Pro-moto Billet rack. I have it on mine and its really slick and STRONG and also light. It also fits really well.
-Saddle Bags, some soft bags are good to have and really help keep the weight in the right spot if your going on a long trip.
-GAS TANK, with the stock tank you will make it about 95 miles before reserve (if your lucky) and then 120 ish before you are bone dry. I am running an IMS 4.2 which actaully holds about 4.5gal. I have run this tank out to 230 miles and I still had probably .3 or .5 gal left. The tank does make the bike much more front heavy when it is full but who says you have to fill it up all the way? Also, my tank replaces the radiator shrouds so that gives me a bit of extra padding between the radiators and the ground.
-Seat (for carrying ass), mine sucks, the corbin is heavy, the Bill Mayer is huge, I want a Bojangles seat...That said, I have done 500 miles in a day on mine...and it sucked.

Other Doohickeys:
-Steering damper, I have one, it really smooths out the steering a lot but does make the bike feel a bit heavy at slow speeds but I am used to it and I would never switch back. I have a WER offroad unit.
-E modle base gasket is to bump the compression up to 13:1 (dirt spec) and you can also do cams from the dirt modle too.
-Manual Cam Chain Tentioner, For bikes 2002 or older, they had faulty Auto CCTs that were prone to failure. The 2003 and later bikes seem to be less prone to die but its still cheap insurance. That said, I don't have one of those either.

Next time I am in the area I would be happy to let you take mine for a spin so you can get a seat of the pants comparo.

Check out Thumper Talk and READ THE STICKY on the top. Also, check out www.drz.info The Thumper Talk DRZ forum is VERY active so do a search before you ask questions because chances are its been asked before.

Did I leave anything out?
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #33
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
Did I leave anything out?

Ian, I can only think of one thing you left out, the check to pay for all the happy stuff. Thanks for the information. I'm in the process of looking over the list from you, gentry, and bluesurf and wandering the pages of Thumper Talk to make my first order of stuff. On the list of stuff from TT is the jet kit, new air/fuel mixture needle, Clarke tank, Radiator guards, CFC case guards, AIS smog removal kit (this is to stop back firing after the carb mod, if anybody has used this or has not used it let me know) they have a skid plate but it does not show any picture. It bolts up to stock holes but maybe I'll surf the web and look for the one you've got, and some fork shields. Still looking at hand guards, seat, rear luggage rack with bag or soft saddle bags.

Keep sending the information I can use as much of it as possible from the people that have installed this stuff and have used it. On paper all the suppliers make there shit look and work the best but it's the people that have this stuff and use it in real life that I try to listen to. Oh and it's screaming chicken yellow like yours
Old 09-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #34
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Hey Bluesurf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf
Congrats!
I PM'd ya- are you like me and never look at that corner of the screen?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #35
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
OK, just FYI - as far as I know, the smog removal stuff only affects CA spec bikes. If that is not the case then I can tell you that I havn't fiddled with any of that stuff on mine and it pops a little on decel but I personaly like it; it's not a backfire so much as a little popping and gurgeling.

And about the fork guards, if you are talking about the ones that cover the lower portion of the fork then I will tell you that in my opinion those are mostly fufu shiney parts. If you are set on them though then go ahead and get them because I don't want to be the one who says no and then you trash your fork on your first ride.

Also, I rememered one more thing!

GEARING:
It is easy to play with on this bike so don't be affraid to do it! The best way to go in my opinion is to cut your chain down to 110 links (112 is stock) and then go buy yourself a 13 and a 14 tooth countershaft sprokets and then also get a 41 tooth rear (for a DR350, mine needed one hole counter-sunk)

With this setup you can run ("buzzy speeds" are 'indicated' not GPS):
13-44 Gets buzzy around 60
-LOW gearing is equivelent to the stock equipment on the dirt model (14-47) I use that for 80% or better dirt rides.
14-44 Gets buzzy around 65
-Medium low, this is equivelent to running a 15-47 wich most people do because they don't want to cut their chain (bitches) I use this for 60% dirt
15-44 or 14-41 Gets buzzy around 70
-These are the same ratio, it is what your bike comes with stock. I find that it is great for forest roads and back roads on pavement. I use it for 40% dirt.
15-41 Gets buzzy around 75-80
-HIGH gearing, you can't go much higher without fideling a with a bunch of stuff. A 16tooth sproket doesn't fit safely and you have to cut your chain more to get down to a 38tooth rear.

You can run that all with a 110 link chain, it doesn't take long at all to switch around. If I am riding 50 miles on pavement to nasty singletrack then I will run 15-44 and then switch to 13-44 when I arive. It takes less than 10 minutes taking it easy.

Also also, your spedo reads about 10% fast.
Also also also, I have indicated 105 on mine with the highway gearing and stock exhaust. It was 98.2 on the GPS. I am sure it will do more with the full system.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #36
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
if you ever feel like trashing a DRZ follow das rider up to Wallace falls etc next time. Mine's in the corner of the garage giving me dirty looks right now....

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #37
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
if you ever feel like trashing a DRZ follow das rider up to Wallace falls etc next time. Mine's in the corner of the garage giving me dirty looks right now....
The road/trail up to Wallace Falls wasn't too bad, what was insane was going up to the log bridge. That killed us. I had said the road above the bridge was unridable on a bike. Technically, the mile or so below the bridge is unridable. Riding dual sport bikes up that sorry excuse for a road (it's a bolder field on a mountainside strewn with truck parts) was like a heavy weight prize fight going 15 rounds. We were taking a beating. I'm going to be sore tomorrow, sorer than I am now. But hey, we can say we've been up there on dual sport machines and we brought all out parts home with us.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #38
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
The road/trail up to Wallace Falls wasn't too bad, what was insane was going up to the log bridge. That killed us. I had said the road above the bridge was unridable on a bike. Technically, the mile or so below the bridge is unridable. Riding dual sport bikes up that sorry excuse for a road (it's a bolder field on a mountainside strewn with truck parts) was like a heavy weight prize fight going 15 rounds. We were taking a beating. I'm going to be sore tomorrow, sorer than I am now. But hey, we can say we've been up there on dual sport machines and we brought all out parts home with us.

Im sure it wont seem so bad once I can feel my right hand again....

Old 09-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #39
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
I love riding out to Reiter. From my house in Kenmore I ride to Duval and hook up with my buddy on his DR650SE. From there we ride through Stossel Creek to Sultan. We stop at John's Pastime Bar/Grill for food and stuff and continue on to the pit for a day of exploring. We're still learning our way around, tons of fun though.

Dang, I should be there now.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #40
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
I love riding out to Reiter. From my house in Kenmore I ride to Duval and hook up with my buddy on his DR650SE. From there we ride through Stossel Creek to Sultan. We stop at John's Pastime Bar/Grill for food and stuff and continue on to the pit for a day of exploring. We're still learning our way around, tons of fun though.

Dang, I should be there now.

setup a ride one of these weekends!

Old 09-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #41
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

I'm still waiting for my Corbin to show up Along with another big box of toys from TT's on line store.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #42
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
I'm still waiting for my Corbin to shop up
they take up to three weeks...

when are you bringing that new ride out??? The Duvall run is next weekend isnt it??

Old 09-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #43
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
they take up to three weeks...

when are you bringing that new ride out??? The Duvall run is next weekend isnt it??
Yea they said it should show up on thursday.

I should be there for Duvall 3 this Saurday, if the new stuff shows up or not. I'll ride the bike nekid if I have to, that is the bike will not have the new stuff on it yet but I will wear pants and maybe a shift.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #44
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Yea they said it should show up on thursday.

I should be there for Duvall 3 this Saurday, if the new stuff shows up or not. I'll ride the bike nekid if I have to, that is the bike will not have the new stuff on it yet but I will wear pants and maybe a shift.

you running stock gearing on that?

Old 09-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #45
GSguy OP
Here's a quarter.

Yea have not changed anything around right now.