User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
dmitriocean OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
The best UHaul enclosed trailer to tow Super Tenere

Hi guys! I just bought 13 Super Tenere out of state. I'm wondering if anyone knows the best size of U-Haul enclosed trailer I should rent for the task. Thank you.
dmitriocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Don't tell uhaul you are moving a bike, they wont rent you an enclosed trailer. They have motorcycle trailers with tie downs, open trailer.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
dmitriocean OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks. Good to know.
dmitriocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Not sure what size, the smallest that fits it I suppose. But I have a suggestion, which I stole from some guys I met on the road.

There is no way to tie down a bike to the floor in an enclosed Uhaul. The only tie down points are on the walls, and they don't look very sturdy.

Bring a socket set. Take the Uhaul to an Ace Hardware before you pick up the bike. There are bolts in the floor that you can unscrew. Take one into the Ace and find either eye-bolts that match size and threading, or failing that, a bolt down ring. If you get rings, you may need to buy longer bolts. Bolts and rings are cheaper than ripping out the side tie down rails on a Uhaul.

Or just rent the motorcycle trailer. Although they can be hard to find and you need to drive a vehicle out there.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 231
I've moved a motorcycle in an enclosed uhaul trailer several times, once over 2000 miles.

I get a 5 x 8, they have more headroom than the "larger" ones, check the specs on uhaul's page to see if your bike will fit. You may have to do a mirror delete and a bar drop. That trailer has d-rings at each corner of the floor, at least the ones I rented did. Go have a look at one.

The major hurdle; the floor is not grippy, so over bumps the front wheel will want to skip around, which could precipitate events.

I take two 2x8x8's along; one for me, one for the bike. I slide those in alongside when she's on and tied, they will end right at the door. You could also buy some 2-by and make a front-wheel locator by wedging them in side-to-side along the front, leave some relief for the d-rings, say 3x3. Or wedge the 2x8's against somehow.

However you do it, check frequently, at least every rest stop and gas up. I once had a feeling and stopped and saved the day. If the wheel gets too far over you'll have some explaining to do if the handlebar gets through a wall. It seems to settle in a bit over time, maybe the rubber builds up a bit on the floor there. You can drive the trailer with the door open for a bit on the way to returning it, to ventilate.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315

5X8 Works great and as was mentioned 4 tie down points in the corners. I use harbor freights motorcycle wheel chock in the front and your bike won't move anywhere.

http://t.harborfreight.com/motorcycl...ock-97841.html
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
p51bombay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'm picking up a 13 SuperTen as well Saturday - my only concern is attachment points on the ST that won't rub or break anything during the trip.

If using a 5x8 Uhaul as above, where on the bike can you attach tie downs that won't cause any damage?

I have 4 ratcheting straps and 4 soft (fake-sheep skin) extensions.
p51bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,309
Get some good tie down straps not the cheap ass harbor freight ones especially in a trailer where you can't see wwhat is happening. The KTM straps are awesome and worth every penny. The carabiner end prevents them from ever coming off over bumps and they have soft ties built in for the bars.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I don't know where you live but you might be able to find disposable "dunnage bags".

They are basically kraft linerboard bags with a plastic coating inside. You fill then to a couple PSI, throw a moving blanket over them and put them on each side of the bike (they are plenty big) and if God forbid a tie-down breaks the bike will just rest on the bag.

They look like this, but Uline are pirates and too expensive. A couple big backs should not run more than 25 bucks total.

http://www.uline.com/BL_7704/Kraft-Dunnage-Bags

They are plenty strong. Inflate at a gas station, only need to inflate, not pressurize. Or you could take the kid's blow-up pool
Matt fe2o3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
p51bombay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Get some good tie down straps not the cheap ass harbor freight ones especially in a trailer where you can't see wwhat is happening. The KTM straps are awesome and worth every penny. The carabiner end prevents them from ever coming off over bumps and they have soft ties built in for the bars.

Got that taken care of, looked at those KTM ones but got the Harley ones instead - better (ratcheting) and as I recall, they were cheaper too. Without the bike in front of me I'm just wondering where to hook on the bike that won't rub, scratch or break something. Decided to just get the 5x8 uhaul as it was cheaper and quicker than putting tires on my open bike trailer and weather wont matter.
p51bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,145
For motorcycle tie down straps, always choose genuine, original ANCRA brand straps. Unless it's a KLR you don't give a shat about.

http://www.sline.com/motorsports.pdf
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
matty5
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Check your local craigslist to see if anyone is renting out trailers, usually cheaper than U haul and will already have a chock and tie downs. Some larger trailer sales places rent out too.
matty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
For motorcycle tie down straps, always choose genuine, original ANCRA brand straps. Unless it's a KLR you don't give a shat about.

http://www.sline.com/motorsports.pdf

i used to think that too, until i had a brand spanking new ANCRA strap part while it was attached to a WR250 last season. the bike fell over on the trailer, but not off. did some damage.

the break on the strap was as clean as if it was cut with a knife.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Steadymate makes the best tie downs I have found. I don't use cheap cam buckle straps anymore, nor open hooks.

http://steadymate.com/ca/

My newest set are Cinchtite 5