ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
I hope the OP doesn't mind me sharing...

...a link to his thread but this is a really good RR that includes what you're planning.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933042

I'd love to do this ride but not in the cards this year.
Have a great trip.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...a link to his thread but this is a really good RR that includes what you're planning.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933042

I'd love to do this ride but not in the cards this year.
Have a great trip.
That is a great RR. Don't let the lack of pictures at first slow you down.

I was planning to do T1 this summer but plans have changed. It will take more than 1 week to do the route and then to ride back down to the start and I do not have enogh PTO. Instead I am going to go check out Jarbidge this summer.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
master marine, I imagine that after riding the length of Idaho I'm not going to want to ride back, I'm planning on renting a truck from someplace like uhaul and hauling bikes back south, should be quicker too. 1 guy did most of the T1 in under 32 hours, ill look for the ride report, but I think that the whole trip including to and from Washington could be reasonably done in 9 days (a work week with 2 weekends)
gameyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyogi View Post
xr4ever u are my new best friend!! Last year I did the WABDR on my 2 stroke KTM with camping gear, I added a lot of single track like Mission Ridge etc and didn't have an issue, I assume most of the single track that is on that map is similar to what we get over here in WA.

I think the key would be to camp light and take a lighter bike. 2 strokes are great for that but gas and 2 stroke oil are always an issue.

as for xr4ever guiding at least this section of the trip, sounds good to me, I'm willing to buy gas, beer and food
This is one of the dotted lines on that map...

I don't need gas, beer or food. Just convince my wife I need to be gone for a day or two! Plan the dates as early as possible so I have time to wear her down. Or hopefully she will have her new Beta by then and she can come with us!
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,893
A great vid of north Idaho single track.

I'm out of breath just watching.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
BlakeC
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great video, Idaho is such a great place to ride!!

I finished T1 in 2012 exactly how it was outlined... Stick to his tracks and you'll have the time of your life!!!
BlakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #22
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great video, that trail looks like more than I'd want to do with camping gear on board. I'd try it with my 250, not my 525. Here's a video that I found on the web (not me) of local trails that are similar to what I'd hope to ride on T1 side excursions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_gJ8agMyUQ look at the point around 16:00 in the video for the fun stuff

Hopefully theres some slightly milder but equally amazing singletrack that we can take around the Wallace area that isn't quite as hard core
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakec View Post
great video, idaho is such a great place to ride!!

I finished t1 in 2012 exactly how it was outlined... Stick to his tracks and you'll have the time of your life!!!
+1
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #24
birdcool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I finished the T1 in 2013. I understand the ambition to add more trail fun to the route and I love (and have ridden) some of the trails suggested. But every part of this route has to be a study in trade-off. Day 6 is already a big gas range challenge and more trail takes more gas, so that is a trade-off. Few people will be looking to detour on day 7 to the more rugged trails after 6, 12+ hour days of off-road bliss in the saddle. Most will start to think of the phrase, "too much of a good thing". I for one can appreciate the merciful ease of day 7. Adding much to day 7 is upgrading it to an 8 day ride and that is just a new ride that can go on eternally with a DS bike.

For a route from Utah to Canada, it is quite well optimized for "fun"... challenging enough, mind blowing scenery, gets you there with in a reasonable time with just enough support along the way to make the Average Joe feel like they had a Grand Adventure.

birdcool screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 10:17 PM
birdcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #25
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I appreciate the input from people who have riden the T1. Its hard to tell how difficult or remote it is just by sitting behind a computer looking at pictures. I rode the WABDR last year and although it was enjoyable it was too easy for my taste, I ended up adding in some single track to liven it up, the T1 looks to be a lot more challenging in stock form than the wabdr, but it would be nice to know of some additional alternate single track just in case...i figure u don't have to ride it if u don't want to.

I'm not as worried about being able to say I completed it as I am about having a great ride and adventure. Have any if u folks that have riden the t1 also riden the wabdr? I'd be curious to hear a comparison, also would like to know how the single track sections compare to mission ridge, devils gulch, Cle elum ridge and other trails in taneum area, would be nice to have an idea of what I'm in for.

Also, any input on bike choice? I can take my ktm 525 or my ktm 250 2 stroke, I've ridden them both on 1000 mile trips and prefer the 250 on single track a two track but its a drag on highway.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #26
birdcool
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyogi View Post

I'm not as worried about being able to say I completed it as I am about having a great ride and adventure. Have any if u folks that have riden the t1 also riden the wabdr? I'd be curious to hear a comparison, also would like to know how the single track sections compare to mission ridge, devils gulch, Cle elum ridge and other trails in taneum area, would be nice to have an idea of what I'm in for.

Also, any input on bike choice? I can take my ktm 525 or my ktm 250 2 stroke, I've ridden them both on 1000 mile trips and prefer the 250 on single track a two track but its a drag on highway.
I have ridden Devils Gulch several times, which branches off Mission Ridge by my navigation. You will encounter these "more difficult" level of trails on the T1 a few times a day, but there will be a some short "most difficult" sections tossed in occasionally (your Tronson Ridge?). To liken the T1 to your area... It is like waking up in a (fictional) motel in Liberty before dawn and eating what you bought last night for breakfast from the liberty cafe. You take the groomed forest service roads 15 miles up to Table Mountain area and over to Lions Rock to discover the awesome view. Then take a 2 mile single track trail to short cut across to the 5 miles of jeep/forest roads past Haney Meadows, to 15 miles of Mission Ridge/Devils Gulch trail. Then head up Mission Creek forest road to cross the highway in Cashmere....repeat until you get to Canada 200 off-road miles later. On average, you spend about half your _time_ riding interestingly rugged trails, that you would enjoy on a dirt bike just for the sake of the trail, and the other half of the time on dirt roads getting to the next scenic highlight or travel necessity like gas along the route to Canada.

On bike choice, they can both make it and both have. Light is good so you will enjoy the 250 on the trail sections. But the 525 will be simpler to manage gas-oil and more comfortable on the road sections due to the reduced vibrations/6-speed. The 250 top end will be more worn by the miles when done, while the 525 engine will be just another year older. YMMV.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #27
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdcool View Post
Day 6 is already a big gas range challenge and more trail takes more gas, so that is a trade-off.
Something to consider: Superior and St Regis MT are both about 20 miles off of the route by dirt roads. And they are both at about the 2/3 or 3/4 point in the day, so if you need gas or you got a late start in Lowell, that's the time you'll realize it.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #28
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks birdcool, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Yes, devils gulch is just off if mission ridge, we are talking about the same trails here. From your description it sounds like there is plenty of good single track on the t1 to keep me interested with some 2 track thrown in for some down time.

I'm leaning towards riding the 525 for ease of use, carrying a bunch of 2t oil is a pain and the 525 is already set up with big fuel tanks and a back rack etc.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #29
birdcool
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Something to consider: Superior and St Regis MT are both about 20 miles off of the route by dirt roads. And they are both at about the 2/3 or 3/4 point in the day, so if you need gas or you got a late start in Lowell, that's the time you'll realize it.
Yep. On my run, I had those detours pre-routed on my GPS ... just in case. Contingency planning reduces stress. Your 2012 ride report was an excellent part of my pre-ride research. Thanks for the write-up.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #30
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 384
It may be in my plans to do this year, I just figured out how to map it on my gps and I'm working on it. I like your U haul idea.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote