Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I think we all do stupid stuff from time to time, and it hurts!

There is a trend to ride big heavy bikes off road and broken bones.

I am big on using the wrong tool for the job, but after getting out of the hospital I will not try and ride a big heavy bike in the dirt anymore.
Even with good tires on it!

I rode out after every crash until the last one when I could not lift the bike.
Smashed knee, broken toe, broken spine, broken ankle, and I rode home all those times.

Not riding home was not an option, nor was it the last time, but I was lucky someone found me and got me out.

Pre cell phone days, or no signal now, solo dirt riding demands you get yourself out.

Heal fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Roger that

I know I fucked up. The road and trails were actually really firm ....of course except the area that bit my ass as it was slick as snot. The main reason I wanted to post this all up was to re-enforce what i already knew and should of listened too.....a momentary lap in solid judgement can be costly. Plus good gear prevents event worse injuries when we ( I ) fail to use due diligence.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Lighten up dude.
We all do stupid things on bikes, and you have to take the heat for it here.

Some of us at least have been in the same situation, sometimes quite a few times.

If KAG had made it, we would have said he has balls to ride slick dirt on an overloaded bike with street tires on it.
As it is we say he has balls for riding out and we hope he heals up well.

Was it smart? Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Yeah, you already had two strikes against you riding through that muck with those tires. I imagine it was quite squirrelly going through there.

Nice boots. I have the Balanced Oileds and like them a lot, but I agree they lack some protective ability compared to some other offerings. I like the Forma boots, though.

I find it amazing that NJ-Brett can achieve an average of over four posts a day since he joined advrider.com over three years ago. Unfortunately I can only assume from his insulting post above that most are similarly insulting and low value posts. He should change his handle to NJ-Brett-with-a-small-penis.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
Bad_Weather
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
It's not if we will crash but when !
We ride these damn machines because they are dangerous which = fun,
The best we can do is dress for the crash not the ride.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #19
kag OP
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
I'm glad you made it out, that shows some balls.

A knob or two would have obviously helped out a bunch, but for some reason not all tires have them.

It looks like you were able to spot that from a decent distance, so I have to ask a few questions...

Were you over-riding your sight line or did you just misjudge the surface?

Would it have been better to lighten the front end and take that under acceleration?

Would you like fries with that shake?

Edit: Did you ride home from the ER? I would have shut up, for sure if you had.
Actually......yes.

I was not going to leave my bike at the ER....no telling when I would of been able to get it plus as you look around the waiting room......hmmmm, some if these folks in there are "professionals" in rather unlawful activities. Bike could of disappeared quick if left for days.

So I refused pain meds while there because I knew I was going to ride it home. I gimped out on crutches to the bike, sat on the curb and had the wife un-splint me.....and help me stuff my swollen foot/broken ankle into the boot. Got on the bike and rode it home with her following in the truck. She helped get the boot back off (like to killed me) and as she is a Registered Nurse she re-splinted me....then I took percocets and drank beer. To make matter worse the ER was the one she use to work in.

True story

The question about the why it happened....the road surface did not look that slick....obviously I made a couple of bad decisions in this ordeal. It is what it is.......

I saw the surgeon and he said 'Plate", I said cast it and lets see. Currently wearing a "Bulky Jones" till the swelling goes down then we will see about it next Tuesday if I am going to have to have surgery or not as the Xray report also says Fibula stress fracture in addition to the Distal Tibula being dicked up.

The films were digital Xrays but I plan to get hard copies to remind me not to be a dumb ass.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 10:51 PM Reason: Percocets affect typing ....
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #20
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gN5H...jQpDZdiwMdifAw

Sorry to hear about your injury. Locally , we get alot of muddy trails like in your picture where you had crashed.

Like you , we take heavy machinery into areas like that with compromised tires.

Maybe you don't need to hear this now , but I will put this out for anyone else trying to learn muddy off roading with big (inappropriate) bikes :

(a) momentum is , to a certain extent , your friend,

(b) head up and look at where you want to end up. Check down only to determine generally which path you're going to take and then just press on. Look at your front tire at your peril,

(c) sit down. Don't stand up. Yeah yeah , I know. Standing up is the standard , etc , but in mud , how fast you can get a foot down to dab the bike back up will be difference between an "oh shit I almost lost it" to a crash.

Hope you heal up fast and as mentioned above , you might have more fun with a small bike with appropriate tires. But hey , where's the fun in that ?

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #21
Ms.KAG
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Would look pretty cool riding down the street with a fresh cast on the right leg and mud all over the bike. And when he gets home:

Wife: How was your ride, Hon?

Kag: Great! It was a beautiful day to go for a ride.

Wife: OMG! What's that on your right leg?

Kag: Oh, nothing. I just needed a little more support on my right leg because the brake pedal is still a little stiff from being a new bike.

Wife: Oh, OK.
No No it went something like this:

phone rings

Me: Hello

Him: Hey, whats up

Me: Nothing much. I thought you were riding?

Him: I am

Me: (I hear in the background, "Dr. blah blah, call the ER") "Where you at?"

Him: The ER

Me: How bad?

Him: Kinda....

I edited this so I could Ad a little more of the conversation of where he pissed me off

Me: You at Irwin?

Him: Yes, pretty sure my ankle's broken

Me: How'd you get there?

Him: Rode it here

Long Pause

Me: I'm coming down

Him: Its ok, no need to

Me: No, I'm I coming down to kick your ass because you didn't call me when it happened

Yep the hardhead rode it home.......

I did tell him we have dirt bikes for that type stuff and he is not 20 anymore

Ms.KAG screwed with this post 01-24-2014 at 02:08 PM Reason: Added a little
Ms.KAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.KAG View Post
No No it went something like this:

phone rings

Me: Hello

Him: Hey, whats up

Me: Nothing much. I thought you were riding?

Him: I am

Me: (I hear in the background, "Dr. blah blah, called the ER") Where you at?

Him: The ER

Me: How bad?

Him: Kinda....

Yep the hardhead rode it home.......

I did tell him we have dirt bikes for that type stuff and he is not 20 anymore
Wow, Did I marry your sister? She treats me the same way when I screw up.
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
I understand that the wt/tire/mud combination would put you down regardless but curious as to what settings you had at the time?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 572
Not only an amazing story but you also took photos?!!! You are a tough hombre.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #25
kag OP
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
I understand that the wt/tire/mud combination would put you down regardless but curious as to what settings you had at the time?
Offroad, 1 up with luggage

Kind of a shitty pic but the lower leg and foot area swelled quick after they took my boot off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefahrt View Post
Not only an amazing story but you also took photos?!!! You are a tough hombre.
My ol lady uses the term....'Hardheaded Dumb ass"

I needed a few minutes after getting it up and then farther up the hill....as my blood pressure was pounding in my head and I needed a few to get my shit together. Then I said.....Hey get a few pics while I figure this out.

More of time killer than anything as my foot was throbbing and I needed to think about this before getting back on.

Those Forma Adventure boots really did keep the ankle stable and just using my heel I could gimp around. Once the foot and lower leg swelled up in the boot the riding part was almost pain free just going down the road....of course not using the rear brake was a given.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 04:11 PM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #26
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,492
I like your spirit about the whole thing.

I pray that my wife never signs up in advrider...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #27
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
If the doc says to plate it, your response should be "yes sir".

Heal fast, shiny side up!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

I always found it best to get up and get moving as fast as I could, before the shock wears off.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
Not Dave
I smell bacon

Oddometer: 192
I don't get on the forum much and this was the first post I looked at on "Face Plant". Sitting near my wife this morning as I read through this I shared it with her and we had some good laughs.

Thanks for sharing your adventure, misery and great attitude KAG. Also to Ms KAG for sharing the other side of the story, it was golden.

Back in the 90's and riding the sand dunes in SoCal it was a big no-no to go riding by yourself. Easy to get lost and if you crash you may not get found for quite some time. That was before anyone had GPS and cell phones didn't work out there (yet). SPOT hadn't been invented either. Riding down unpaved county roads should be safe but guess sometimes it isn't.

Even though I can pick up my DR650 fairly easily I still wouldn't want to with an injury like KAG's. A KTM 1190 Adventure weighs about 467lbs dry. It would be easy to say his weighed over 500 with fluids and gear.

Hope you heal up fast and get back to riding. Thanks for the post and pics.

Next purchase for my bike are to ditch the Shinko 705's for some knobbies. They're great on the street but after riding 3 days in Junction, Rocksprings and Leakey areas last weekend I quickly found out how easily the bike slides on street tires.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #30
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 882
UGH! Glad you are ok! After an incident with a deer last year, on my new GSW (broken collar bone, ribs, scapula) and various other shit, I came to this conclusion:
A big adventure bike, (GS, KTM, Tiger, Multistrada) are really best suited to the tarmac with a decent gravel road (fire road) thrown in. Even with knobby tires, once that pig goes down, if you are injured picking up a 550Lb bike, and riding out becomes a hell of a lot more difficult.
While I totally agree that there are riders out there who can handle a big bike very well in what I would consider difficult conditions, a lighter bike (KTM 990?) is prefereable when things get tough - at least for my skill level anyway. (Which is limited, off road)
After my crash, there was no way I was picking up my bike. A small 250cc Dirt bike may have been a different story - even though I had a concussion. So I llaid in the ditch for 35 mins waiting for help - in pain ....The fact that you rode out blows my mind!
Anyway - crashing a new bike really sux! Glad that you will be ok!
Watch out for that oxycontin (if they give you any) it will back you up like crazy!! Drink tons of water.

Good luck!
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote