Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
Ms.KAG
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
If the doc says to plate it, your response should be "yes sir".
That's what he better say
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #32
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,046
Sorry to hear about your injury. Here is a good thread to read while you are sitting around with your ankle propped up!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=broken+ankle

And yes, follow what your OS says (no weight bearing until it's okay), and then stick with the exercises that your PT tells you to do.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #33
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Sorry to hear about your injury. Heal fast!
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #34
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Just a comment, maybe lose the hard side cases riding off road, yes, they look trick, alas, they also break legs.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #35
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Kag and Ms Kag - I don't often read threads in this section, but yours caught my eye and I enjoyed it. Many of us here have made that same call from the ER.

When we were a young couple, I raced night stadium MX. After shattering my shoulder I had help loading the bike on the trailer and drove myself to the ER in Fremont. Most painful injury I've ever had. By the time she came to drive me home it was 3AM, and she wasn't happy. But I was too full of drugs to notice much. I had to sleep in a Barcolounger chair for 4 months in a traction cast.

More recently I broke my ankle on a trail bike and I wasn't wearing boots at all. I am amazed that Kag could hop around and pick that pig up! I couldn't have done that. Same call from the ER.

The poor woman got that same call from both of her sons a few times too. They were road racers. Of course she always blamed me...

In your defense, my riding buddy and I were on the Pony Express trail on a section crossing one of the ranges in eastern NV. My buddy was aboard his KLR and I was on my little Yamaha. I had knobs both ends and he had a knob front with a more street oriented rear tire. This was a 2000 mile trip so he selected a tire that would last. We have been riding together for 40 years. I was leading when I came up on a longish mud hole. I went through it like it wasn't there, but my buddy had the exact same thing as you happen. His back end came around on him and splat. He beeps me on the head set that he was down and needed help. He wasn't hurt but we had to unload the bike just to pick it up. Slimy mud was hard to walk in.

So even with decades of experience, shit happens sometimes. Hard to explain it too. It's not like we are going to turn around over a little mudhole...

Heal up and BTW, nice motorcycle...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #36
kag OP
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,334
Thank you

...and as I sit here with my leg elevated all I can think about is ......."Can i get my foot in my boot, its a nice day and it sure would be nice to log a few miles of easy riding".
But strangely....all my keys are missing. And Beth when asked about them just tells me ...."keep Wishing"

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #37
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.KAG View Post
That's what he better say
I like you.

Nice to get 2 sides of the same story! Heal well, dude. And as someone who banged myself rather thoroughly even on a small bike, don't feel too bad. Traction loss happens.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #38
kag OP
Wander Lust

Couldn't take that big bulky splint anymore....foot/ankle killing me on Sunday and my foot pain and swelling actually decreased after getting it off for a while. Just think they had it on too tight. Still swollen pretty good but feels Much better. I see the ortho guy tomorrow again.

Foot is almost center fold material....for stupid shit not to do

I"ll have the wife help put it back on in the morning but I will have her re-wrap it a little looser than they had it.

I won't say what also happened Sunday after my foot quit hurting so bad....but it was fun

kag screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 06:23 PM
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
kag OP
Wander Lust

And finally today....a real cast for several weeks then re-eval

Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #40
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,046
Now that you have your cast on, here is a good cast cover to use so that you can shower or bathe:

http://www.drycorp.com/

So much better than trying to cover your cast with plastic bags and duct tape!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #41
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Now that you have your cast on, here is a good cast cover to use so that you can shower or bathe:

A tub bath is convenient with a little care. Probably the only time I have used a tub is with a cast.

If the cast stays on a long time, you'll be shocked at how much muscle you lose. I nearly fainted at the sight of it once.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #42
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,471
Kag,
I've been a big advocate of using soft bags for off-road riding since I've seen so many fractures both on ADV and one in real life when the rider slips, dabs his foot down to try to save it, and has the bike pannier pin the leg under it. Do you think you would have broken your leg with soft panniers or no panniers?
You are one tough hombre to ride out in that condition. Saludos and speedy recovery, Jim
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #43
kag OP
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post

Good idea but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
A tub bath is convenient with a little care. Probably the only time I have used a tub is with a cast.

If the cast stays on a long time, you'll be shocked at how much muscle you lose. I nearly fainted at the sight of it once.
Yep, using the jacuzzi tub......hate the damn thing already....cast and tub

But to be honest if i did not have a cast on I would be even more non-compliant than I already am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Kag,
I've been a big advocate of using soft bags for off-road riding since I've seen so many fractures both on ADV and one in real life when the rider slips, dabs his foot down to try to save it, and has the bike pannier pin the leg under it. Do you think you would have broken your leg with soft panniers or no panniers?
You are one tough hombre to ride out in that condition. Saludos and speedy recovery, Jim
You know there may be merit to this and something think about. But with that said if you are riding with loaded soft bags it would probably collect you up also.

I will say I intend to look at some Wolfman bags, already have a couple of them on my Buell but not side luggage.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #44
freetime
misadventurer

Oddometer: 18
I always worry about something like this happening while riding alone (which I do often). It can happen anytime to anyone. Thanks for posting as I think it helps others think about the "what if's" of riding.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #45
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 198
Damn dude, hope you heal quickly and well. That's a great story. My wifes an RN also and has the same attitude... must be something from that line of work, or from folks who go in for that type of work. At least they didn't cut off your new boot!