Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
also, are there any adv discount codes? :)
We have a few 2013 closeouts available on our site at 15-20% off right now:
2013 Buckin' Roll Tank Bag
2013 Diablo Tank Bag (identical to 2014, except for harness)
2013 Fandango Tank Bag (identical to 2014, except for harness)
Great Basin Dry Bag

But on current-line product, we avoid discounting so as not to compete against our own hard-working dealers and distributors.

ADV Rider Discount
When you order $40 or more (subtotal before discount) on our website, your choice of a Giant Loop cap or t-shirt will be discounted 90% (our shopping cart doesn't allow a 100% discount unfortunately - but it's a pretty sweet shirt/cap for $2!): GLteamwear
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Giant Loop Rider Riaan van Niekerk - 12th Place at Dakar Rally

A HUGE congratulations to Giant Loop rider Riaan van Niekerk for a stellar 12th place finish at the Dakar Rally! Here's a pic of Riaan back home in South Africa training with his MoJavi Saddlebag (via GL's South African distributor, Desert Lizard).
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
While our friend Riaan was at the front of the pack, racing Dakar, our friends at Boanoracing.com were supporting Dakar rider #173 Luca Viglio on his Boano built Beta Atacama 450RR.
Luca finished the event in 76th position. Good work Boanoracing.com and Luca Viglio, another rider's dream for a Dakar finish has come true!

The Beta was a work of art and careful preparation, created by Boano Racing. Luca had plenty of enduro experience to handle the challenge. Luca was mentioned a couple of times in the Dakar F5irehose, as he managed to finish a couple of stages by the skin of his teeth.

Here is a couple stories translated by fellow inmate auguzt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
<...>

Curious story about Luca Viglio's getaway from the infamous canyon.
Here the article in Italian:
http://www.worldrallyraid.com/blog/2...ndo-lentamente
He found himself stuck and didn't know how to exit from there, tried many times but no way to get out. He almost decided to retire from the race and took a look at his mobile to contact his team manager, Roberto Boano. Surprisingly for him in that hideaway the mobile was working so he sent an sms to Boano asking for advice. All he received were three words: "Believe in yourself". He did it. And somewhere found the strenght to get out and continue the race. And he's still in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Sorry guys.. I have been away for a while... But lurking now and then...

Will try to apologies to the F5 community with a couple of funny stories from the only Italian bikers left in the race:

<...>

Luca Viglio gotta love Bolivia:
"I was at refurbishing in the city and all the people gathered around me, asking where I am from, my name and a lot of information about me. I kept answering all these people and then "the ritual" of making pictures with them, their relatives, friends, ecc. Once all the tanks were filled I went to the guy of the gas station to pay but he answered "You owe me nothing, they payed for you" It was an emotional moment with all these people that wanted to thank me for the time I spent with them. So I started the bike and greeted everyone and when I screamed "Viva Bolivia!" the crowd literally exploded!"
<...>
Before getting at the end of the stage Luca stopped a few times to regain strenght since the last days have been very stressing for him [he basically rode the last two marathon stages with only his third, fourth and fifth gear]. During one of these break he was feeling really "down" and really tired. He was hanging to the handlebar of his Beta when a Bolivian lady gently touched his shoulder. He turned and she stood there with a big smile, then without saying a word she gave him a very small bolivian flag as a gift."This gesture so simple and in the meantime so full of meanings had me regaining strength instantly. I wish I would hugged and kissed that lady, but I started and got back to the stage instead, with my "batteries" completely recharged"
Translated from: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/338...fosi-boliviani

By the way... He is in!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 01:18 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Giant Loop rider Tiffany Coates was one of the first people to put the new Pannier Pockets and Tillamook Dry Bag to the test. She toured solo and 2-up part of the time (which is why she needed the big Tillamook on her DR350). Check out her adventures in Madagascar here.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #20
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,090
Great idea for a thread Olaf!

I've just been putting the finishing touches to my refurbished XR400 (40,000+ miles, I've lost count to be honest) - it's had an engine overhaul and I took the opportunity to strip everything down and powder-coat the frame, then check and re-assemble all the cycle parts, ready for more travel adventures... of course my Coyote and Mojavi will sit very comfortably on the new rear end!

I will also be heading to the Tuareg Rallye in Tunisia this coming March - providing photos and PR for a selection for riders (as well as my general reporting here on ADV of course), and it will also be the opportunity to test our new LC4-50 Dakar (2015) bike in the desert... my plan is to then ride it home from Tunisia to the UK to really prove it's worth, and of course I shall me relying on my Giant Loop luggage for that too!

Report/s to follow!

All the best, Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #21
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,546
I love me some GL :D

I had the pleasure of beating the crap out of the new Siskiyou panniers this summer in Central Asia and Siberia on my KTM 690. 40,000 km and they were still performing great.
The panniers are now back at GL to see where/if they can be improved. Thanks again guys!

Tajikistan

Mongolia

Mongolia. (notice on the bottom left. GL drybag with a rock on it makes a great tent anchor when you cant drive a stake)

Russian Altai

Sakhalin Island. Russia.

Most recently, the new ones were mounted on a copy of a Honda Wave 110 that I rode from Hanoi Vietnam to Phnom Penh Cambodia. Funny to have such nice bags on a $250 scooter
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I had the pleasure of beating the crap out of the new Siskiyou panniers this summer in Central Asia and Siberia on my KTM 690. 40,000 km and they were still performing great.
The panniers are now back at GL to see where/if they can be improved. Thanks again guys!

<...>

Most recently, the new ones were mounted on a copy of a Honda Wave 110 that I rode from Hanoi Vietnam to Phnom Penh Cambodia. Funny to have such nice bags on a $250 scooter
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the post! Looking forward to your updates - and more great rally photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Great idea for a thread Olaf!

I've just been putting the finishing touches to my refurbished XR400 (40,000+ miles, I've lost count to be honest) - it's had an engine overhaul and I took the opportunity to strip everything down and powder-coat the frame, then check and re-assemble all the cycle parts, ready for more travel adventures... of course my Coyote and Mojavi will sit very comfortably on the new rear end!

I will also be heading to the Tuareg Rallye in Tunisia this coming March - providing photos and PR for a selection for riders (as well as my general reporting here on ADV of course), and it will also be the opportunity to test our new LC4-50 Dakar (2015) bike in the desert... my plan is to then ride it home from Tunisia to the UK to really prove it's worth, and of course I shall me relying on my Giant Loop luggage for that too!

Report/s to follow!

All the best, Jenny xx
Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
Sunman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Well done my man!!

Can't thank you enough for my Great Basin Saddlebag! I never know it's there and can count on it staying put till I get where I'm going! LOVE IT!

Ride well,
Sonny
Twitter.com: @SonnyJohns
Sunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,274
Looking at buying a 50L Great Basin from an inmate here on ADV. Fortunately it's yellow to match my GS.

Question, does the 50L bag have the built in "sleeping bag"/water bottle pocket in it?

Really excited to try out the GL GB!

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

The early models of Great Basin had built in storage and a water resistant zipper. 2012 had no built in storage and included five stuff sacks, still with water resistant zipper. For 2013 the volume went to 60L and the design enjoyed many product improvements to solve the various difficulties of using the original design. The 2013+ design is much easier to mount, access contents with gloved hands and operate the zipper.

The early Great Basin Saddle Bag

The later 2012 version with stuffsacks and no built in storage:

2013's first big change was to add separate mounting straps to the rear of the bag. This freed the Cinch Straps from mounting duties and allows the bag to stay tightly mounted, while releasing the Cinch Strap buckles and opening the bag to access contents. The Cinch Straps also got side release buckles, so they could be used with gloved hands. The zipper was changed to a large coil zipper, protected by a tailored Storm Flap, for MUCH easier zipper action. The last detail added, was a cable lock pass through in the base of the bag, for securing it to the bike.

The current model of Great Basin, showing Mounting straps, Storm flap and Cinch Ring Harness:

Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #27
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb Big GB Rocks

Just used my new 60-liter Great Basin for the first time and enjoyed the extra 10 liters of space. My camp shoes can finally ride inside the bag The bigger bag has the same gnarly construction as I'm used to, and I do like the improved mounting and cinch straps. Keep up the good work, Olaf and crew! Can't wait to see what the innovators at GL come up with next
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #28
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,274
Wow, thanks for the information and time line. With all the new additions I believe Iwill go ahead and get a new GB.

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #29
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,996
I've ran MSR hand guards during the winter for the past couple seasons and really like the added weather protection they offer. I recently ordered up a set of the GL hand guards to replace the MSR units with and finally got them mounted up.

I really like the new GL guards, they are bigger/taller and should do a better job at keeping the cold wind off my hands. I also like rubber strap system for mounting and the lack of Cordura fabric covering that the MSR units had (they got torn very quickly). Top notch

With either units I like to drill a small hole in each hand guard and mount them to my plastic guards with a bolt. This makes the whole unit super solid and keeps them from moving around while on the trail.

Comparison shot between the MSR and the GL guards. I also prefer the looks of the GL units!

And mounted up.

You can see the bolts I added to keep the guards rock solid.

Rubber mounting straps, these work great and are a big improvement over the MSR fabric straps.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 05:11 AM
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #30
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

That is a nice setup you've shown, hodakaguy! I like the use of a center bolt for long term install. Much like using a ziptie, but far more durable for a winter riding setup.

Thanks Dualsport Alchemy for the product review that I borrowed the pic from.