Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #46
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfly View Post
To be clear, the Great Basin is just as leaky as it ever was?
No, our new design director fixed and improved the original Great Basin Saddlebag based on customer feedback and our experiences riding and testing. How? Far fewer holes/seams stitched through outer shell, vastly improved storm flap - in general, a smarter design based on lessons learned. If you have a pre-2013 Great Basin Saddlebag, you're going to love all of the improvements. The new Dry Pods also cost less than half of the older version, so it's easy to upgrade to 100% waterproof if you own a pre-2014 bag. Ya gotta keep up, 'cause we're not slowing down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfly View Post
It is the set of Dry Pods which are waterproof? If the Great Basin isn't, itself, waterproof then calling it 100% waterproof seems misleading?
Without the Dry Pods, the Great Basin Saddlebag is HIGHLY water resistant. With the Dry Pods, it is 100% waterproof. We believe - and our experiences and those of riders on the most extreme adventure around the globe prove it out - that putting the waterproofing inside the bag is a superior solution.

Why? Consider a spanking new set of aluminum panniers. 100% waterproof, right? Now, crash your bike a couple times, bend the boxes and the seals no longer align like they did when they were new. No longer waterproof.

Consider a spanking new set of waterproof soft panniers. Crash the bike and tear or poke a hole in the outer shell. No longer waterproof.

Our Adventure Proof™ designs are so tough and rugged - and highly water resistant - that keeping gear dry inside is as easy as packing it in a heavy-duty plastic trash bag (which, by the way, was the way every motorcyclist used to keep their gear dry just a few short years ago). But the trash bag isn't a durable long-term solution. Giant Loop's seam-sealed roll top waterproof Dry Pods have been available for almost two years, and not a single one has come back to us for a warranty replacement.

Check out ADV Rider inmate RoninMoto's (RTW with Noah) Siskiyou Panniers and Dry Pod after thousands of miles of daily use, riding from Georgia and across Asia on dirt. STILL 100% waterproof!

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 02:31 PM Reason: typo, fixed photo
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #47
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 530
It was clear to me when I went to the web site that the interior bags were needed to make the bags waterproof.

Let's change gears - do you have any plans to make the outside bags themselves waterproof? (Edit: I just read the above post - so how about a one way drain?) Seems like the way to go, if not can you drain any water that accumulates inside the bags without emptying them and taking them off the bike?

I am planning a TAT ride next year with thoughts of buying a bike (Wr250r or Drz400) on the east coast and throwing a Coyote Bag and small duffle on it and riding it home to San Diego. So thanks for making a simple off road worthy rackless bag setup!

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #48
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
It was clear to me when I went to the web site that the interior bags were needed to make the bags waterproof.

Let's change gears - do you have any plans to make the outside bags themselves waterproof? (Edit: I just read the above post - so how about a one way drain?) Seems like the way to go, if not can you drain any water that accumulates inside the bags without emptying them and taking them off the bike?

I am planning a TAT ride next year with thoughts of buying a bike (Wr250r or Drz400) on the east coast and throwing a Coyote Bag and small duffle on it and riding it home to San Diego. So thanks for making a simple off road worthy rackless bag setup!
Check out our New Zealand distributor's set up riding the Trans-Canada Trail last summer:

Here's what he has to say: "Harold I have done a bit if this long distance adv riding, and luggage has always been a ball ache . Giant Loop is fantastic for this stuff, tough, amazingly easy to use , and great balance on bike. A no brainier."

This is actually the Great Basin Saddlebag on Keith's Yamaha WR250. The Coyote Saddlebag would mount on the rear fender or tail rack, giving you the whole saddle (vs. sitting on the back of the seat like the Great Basin design). Keith's a relatively short guy, so he didn't care about the extra seat space and traded it for the ability to pack 60 liters (Great Basin Saddlebag) vs. 39 liters (Coyote Saddlebag).

If you get more water inside your Giant Loop bag than you can blot up with a rag, please tell us how you did it!

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 02:40 PM Reason: typo, more detail
Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #49
bfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Please let me know what part of this is unclear, and we will update the page immediately. Thanks, Harold
It would appear you have changed the verbiage since I posted:

Was: "NEW FOR 2014 – NOW 100% WATERPROOF! Carry your gear where the passenger would sit on your bike – the Adventure Proof Great Basin Saddlebag fits virtually any motorcycle designed to carry a passenger. Straps to passenger footrest mounts and rides on pillion seat. Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty!"

Now: "NEW FOR 2014 – NOW 100% WATERPROOF! Set of 3 seam-sealed, roll top waterproof Dry Pods now included. Upgrade your 2013 or older model Great Basin Saddlebag with the new Great Basin Dry Pods."

The new wording is certainly an improvement.
bfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #50
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Not a rep, but I do stand behind their bags. I quoted Olafs last post. I just read the advertisement and I will grant it isn't %100 crystal clear, but it does state that it includes 3 Dry Pods.

I'm willing to bet Olaf will update his site to help clarify this mystery.

Great product at a fair price that has as of yet to fail me.
I'm feeling like Clair-as in clairvoyant. I wish I had put some $$ on my bet

Thanks Harold, as always, great customer service.

Chet
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #51
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:

If you get more water inside your Giant Loop bag than you can blot up with a rag, please tell us how you did it!
Olaf just for a data point I get about a liter of water per side on long, deep river crossings.

My issue was not so much water getting in as my hammock/quilts and clothes are in dry bags, it was the fact the water would not drain out of the bottom of the bag. I'm guessing it gets in through the zipper.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #52
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Olaf just for a data point I get about a liter of water per side on long, deep river crossings.

My issue was not so much water getting in as my hammock/quilts and clothes are in dry bags, it was the fact the water would not drain out of the bottom of the bag. I'm guessing it gets in through the zipper.
Awesome! You win a prize for that one - PM me with your t-shirt size and mailing address.

That Coyote Saddlebag has to be at least three years old, right? Maybe it's time for an upgrade? Or, maybe it's time to melt a couple of small holes in the bottom of the "legs" with a soldering iron for your submarine expeditions?

How much water was in your airbox and filter? The bike doesn't appear to be moving.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #53
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Awesome! You win a prize for that one - PM me with your t-shirt size and mailing address.

That Coyote Saddlebag has to be at least three years old, right? Maybe it's time for an upgrade? Or, maybe it's time to melt a couple of small holes in the bottom of the "legs" with a soldering iron for your submarine expeditions?

How much water was in your airbox and filter? The bike doesn't appear to be moving.
Thanks for the offer of a T-shirt, I'll PM you the info as I have a California address also.

The Coyote is no longer and I went for a change but got caught out a bit. A thread covering and comparing my experiences with the older Coyote and new Kriega Overlanders:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=overlander

A little funny as my mate on the Cambodia trip mentioned towards the end of the thread purchased a Coyote on my recommendation so was laughing when my new gear choice left a sour taste .

I was indeed going to put a couple holes in the bottom of the Coyote with a tiny rubber plug to seal the hole as a decent amount of water got in on more than a few occasions.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #54
Pawlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hello Giant Loop,

Just received my mojavi I ordered a few days ago from one of your retailers. I thought they all came with a tube of seam sealer now???? Mine did not.

Could you please recommend/suggest a product I can purchase easily (auto parts store/outdoor store) that will do the job properly.

Thanks,

Pawlie
Pawlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #55
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
We havent included Seam Seal with the saddlebags for some seasons now. It proved to be more of a mess in application and it doesnt really contribute to "waterproof", just more water resistant, since it wears off. It is still included in the Gear Repair Kit as repair fluid.

Heavy freezer gallon zipper storage bags would do more in the long run, to keep Mojavi contents dry. Cheap and easily replaced.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #56
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

A question on the 2013 thread was: How does the Electronics pass through work on the new Pro model tank bags?

Here is a graphic demonstrating the routing of electrical cords into and through the Fandango Tank Bag Pro and Diablo tank Bag Pro.

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 09:36 AM
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #57
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Pic no worky for me. I'm interested in adding some juice to my new Buckin Roll, any ideas? My left pouch is my on trail charging station, if you already have a working solution I see no reason to reinvent the motorcycle
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #58
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Pic no worky for me. I'm interested in adding some juice to my new Buckin Roll, any ideas? My left pouch is my on trail charging station, if you already have a working solution I see no reason to reinvent the motorcycle
That should show the pic now!

For the Buckin' Roll, I think one of the Powerlet units would be a good option, installed into the side pocket.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #59
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Pic is working!! Yes on the powerlet, I'm going to just have to knuckle and get one.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #60
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Giant Loop Racer and Sales Rep for 405motosales, Rory Sullivan #507, raced to the finish at the 2014 King Of The Motos. His combined time was 4 hours, 41 minutes and 17 seconds for the AM and PM motos, putting him in 17th place overall, among some world class competition. Rory raced his KX250F with a Zig Zag Handlebar Bag to carry his gel supplements and a cell phone.

Thanks to Inmate NSFW for the great on course pics!

Rory said in his race recap:
“I’m up this morning and thinking about how the weekend went at King of the Moto’s. I felt good during Saturdays Qualifier but made one small mistake that cost me a bit of time. The Qualifier was around 3 min long so mistakes where costly. In the Sunday morning AM Final I raced well and gave it everything my 250F had but it was mostly flat out desert sections with a couple tech sections mixed in, I defiantly lost time on the open stuff which was frustrating. I really need to say thanks to Nate Delaney at Dirt tricks for helping my gear it down for the race. The PM Final started with a wild land rush start down a sand hill and strait into one of the events famous sections. It was….. let just say interesting! I got to the top of the first section and my clutch was smoked and when I say smoked I mean would not move forward. I spent some time adjusting the cable all the way in and let it cool down, which helped but it was never the same the rest of the event. About 10 miles in I derailed my chain on a rocky climb and lost some more time. Bottom line is it was a tough relentless race but I was determined to finish, and I’m thankful I did. I finished 17th after they combined both the AM and PM races. I will be back next year better prepared. Huge thanks to Pro Caliber VancouverFly Racing, Evo ind, Bell Powersports Northwest, Smith Optics, USWE Hydration,FMF Racing, Fusion Graphix Dirt Tricks, Rekluse Motor Sports, Fasst Company,Fastway Pro ProMoto Billet, DeVol Engineering Inc.,Novik Gloves, Rigid industries.”
Nice Job Rory!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 11:25 AM