Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #61
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
I was reading an article written by Ben Cope, on VisorDown, describing an ultra light packing list for motorcycle touring. The author's 7 day/3200km sport touring ride to Morocco was his example, but the items list was short and concise. Anyone planning a ride from accommodation to accommodation, and not camping, could run as light a load, regardless of the choice bike or road surface. Just swap a spare set of goggles, instead of visor, plus some dirt gloves and you'd be set! Ben carries his kit in a backpack, we'd put it in a Rogue Dry Bag and strap it to the tail rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Cope on VisorDown
Performance Touring: How to pack light
The ultimate checklist for those who want to cover distance without being weighed down...

...The kit above is exactly what I took with me on my 7-day 3,200 mile round trip from London to Morocco. I'm not saying it's the minimum you need to take, as that's bound to provoke a response from a reader who's been around the world on two wheels with just a pair of Y-fronts and a toothpick but this is a tried and tested formula that worked for me.

Some might call this Performance Touring; it's the kit you need when you're going places fast and want to travel light.

Let's start with what's not laid out here, the kit I wore on the bike: obviously, pants, socks, followed by thermal top and bottoms, a t-shirt and neck tube. Two-piece zip-together Gore-Tex leathers, waterproof summer boots and Gore-Tex leather waterproof gloves. A helmet and a dark visor.

And here's what's in my rucksack.

Performance Touring Checklist:

Passport
Earplugs
LED cycle torch (really handy for all sorts of scenarios)
Driving licence and bike's V5
Soap bag (toothbrush, toothpaste, a few aspirin, paracetamol and a couple of berroca)
Puncture repair kit
Cable lock (lighter, flexible, handy if you want to leave your lid)
Chain lube (mini can is perfect)
Clear visor
Samsung Galaxy S2 (Phone, 8MP camera, GPS, proper Sat Nav, phrasebooks)
Undercrackers
Jeans (but cotton trousers are lighter)
Cable ties (a million possibilities)
Thick all-season gloves (great when the temp drops near freezing)
T-shirts (3 really is overkill but that's what I took)
USB phone charging cable (ask hotel receptionist if you can plug it into her computer)
Lightweight gloves (great for when it's warm, also good if your other pairs get soaked)
Flip-flops (because shoes are bulky and you want a rest from wearing your boots)
Wallet (containing cash, cards, EU breakdown, health insurance card)
Socks

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 12:19 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #62
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
2014 "Friends of Giant Loop" Ride in Baja with Chilly White

Just got back from four days of riding dirt bikes in northern Baja California, Mexico with Chilly White from Enduro360.com. He's already posted up some pics!

Stay tuned for a full ride report!
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #63
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Giant Loop Rider Simone Cannizzo braved the Winter riding conditions and rode north from Milan to the Elefantentreffen. The Elefantentreffen is a winter motorcycle rally that was started in 1956 and takes place in the forest of Bavaria, southern Germany. Simone rode his 50cc enduro with Coyote Saddle Bag, camping at the location of the event. Looked like a cold ride!!

Simone is no stranger to long rides on a 50cc enduro, having ridden a Beta 50cc from Ushuaia to Prudhoe Bay…

Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #64
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

News Release for the New 2014 Buckin' Roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 17, 2014

New 2014 Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag™ by Giant Loop®
Modular, Customizable, Ultra-Trim Adventure Proof Motorcycle Packing System

(BEND, OREGON USA) Named for saddle pads used by rodeo cowboys, the Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag™ by motorcycle packing systems innovator Giant Loop has been completely re-envisioned and redesigned for 2014. The minimalist tank bag is modular, customizable and ultra-trim to meet the demands of dirt, dual sport and adventure riders who "don't like tank bags." The Buckin' Roll Tank Bag also now fits virtually any motorcycle, keeping riding essentials handy and out of the way, even when standing on the footpegs to tackle challenging off-road terrain.

PDF mounting instructions with detailed illustrations of 2014 Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/986xgj42mv...0Roll-R01b.pdf

The Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag packing system consists of three components, which can be used individually or in any combination: mounting harness, center Tool Pouch case and Pannier Pockets™.

The Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag “Complete” option includes all components, while the Buckin’ Roll Tank Bag “Center Only” option includes the mounting harness and center case only.The 2-liter center case secures to the harness with two included cam buckle straps.

Two 2-liter Pannier Pockets attach to the mounting harness and tank, shrouds or engine guards. (Pannier Pockets also are available separately, and they can be added to Giant Loop’s Fandango/Diablo Tank Bags, or used independently.)

Specifications and Features

• Volume: 6 liters (2 liter center case, 2 x 2-liter Pannier Pockets)
• 22 oz vinyl coated polyester Bomb Shell™
• Water resistant YKK zippers
• Nylike webbing
• Reflective accents for visibility
• 2 removable webbing straps w/ aluminum cam-lock buckles
• Multiple webbing MOLLE-style daisy chains
• Mil-spec materials and hardware
• Limited Lifetime Warranty
• Made in USA

Giant Loop adventure proof motorcycle packing systems are available from international distributors, as well as from a network of dealers throughout the USA. Giant Loop designs and tests products in Bend, Oregon and manufactures everything in the USA (except for the Canadian made Pronghorn Straps). For all the details, go to www.giantloopmoto.com.

Giant Loop® and the GL® logo are registered trademarks of Giant Loop LLC.

Media Contact: Harold Olaf Cecil, Giant Loop LLC, 971-832-3164, harold@giantloopmoto.com

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 09:12 AM
Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #65
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day Trippin': Dirt Bikin' Northern Baja California, Mexico

Started a trip report on my Baja ride, "Dirt Bikin' Northern Baja California, Mexico".

It was a gas!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #66
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Thumb Siskiyou and V2 Buckin-Roll

Putting them to my first long term test today. Port Orchard, WA to Boise ID in some snotty weather :) I had them on yesterday for my trip to Touratech, the skies were dumping buckets and the winds were whipping up a frenzy. My first impression was, "wow, much less bike movement from wind drag" Got home and everything was dry What Harold and crew could do is make some kind of waterproof lap skirt built into the Buckin-Roll No, yes I am serious, somehow a 55 gallon bag just aint gonna cut it. If I were on a KLR or Super 10?

Leave for the AZ and UTBDRs mid March, real action pics and a full report when I return.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71q6t1kbh2...2016.18.21.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we3g16s7zs...2016.17.45.jpg
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #67
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Wow @ Giant Loop. Its rare when I plug a vendor thread but I owe this one. I received my order a while back and hadn't needed to install. But in preparation for upcoming trips I laid it out. 1st thing I noticed is its a second to none product, as I thought I had always used the "best" in the past. Second thing I noticed is i need pics with the luggage laid out before the torture and abuse begins

Thought I'd share:

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #68
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Steve!
Thanks for the support and kind words. Great pics of your KTM, it looks ready to ride some distance. The pics of your layout show the Coyote in a good position. Just remember to get the fender hooks tight, then use the frame or subframe to secure your mount strap and not the shock reservoir.

I am trying to get SOP Dirt-Rider's pics to post... next post
Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #69
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Putting them to my first long term test today. Port Orchard, WA to Boise ID in some snotty weather :) I had them on yesterday for my trip to Touratech, the skies were dumping buckets and the winds were whipping up a frenzy. My first impression was, "wow, much less bike movement from wind drag" Got home and everything was dry What Harold and crew could do is make some kind of waterproof lap skirt built into the Buckin-Roll No, yes I am serious, somehow a 55 gallon bag just aint gonna cut it. If I were on a KLR or Super 10?

Leave for the AZ and UTBDRs mid March, real action pics and a full report when I return.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71q6t1kbh2...2016.18.21.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we3g16s7zs...2016.17.45.jpg
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Giant Loop's Fandango Tank Bag PRO awarded Powersports Business "Nifty 50"

Giant Loop's new 2014 Fandango Tank Bag PRO was just selected as one of the top 50 new products by Powersports Business News.

"The winning products and services were chosen because of their potential to help dealers succeed in 2014, whether it’s through selling a Nifty 50 product or using Nifty 50 service. The Nifty 50 were chosen by the editors of Powersports Business, along with editors of sister consumer publications Snow Goer, Thunder Press and Rider."

Giant Loop has submitted products in the past, but design director Brian Frankle's vision for the ultimate adventure touring tank bag is the first GL product to be recognized in this annual poll.

We look forward to more innovations and milestones in 2014.

Thank you for supporting our efforts!

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 03:36 PM Reason: added photos
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #71
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Giant Loop Rider Dan wrote in with a progress report about his Charity Support ride from California to Tierra del Fuego on a G650 X-Challenge.
The charity he supports is International Justice Mission and contributions can be made through a link on his website.

His bike is equipped with Siskiyou Panniers, Rogue Dry Bag, several sets of Pronghorn Straps for load control and a Fandango Tank Bag. Dan has blogged his ride at Placesbeyond.com as well as his Facebook page.
Check out this video of a section in Peru:

Thanks for the great pics and stories, Dan!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #72
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Giant Loop Review: Paul Rides South America On Yamaha Tenere 660 With Siskiyou Panniers And Diablo Tank Bag

Paul wrote in and said:
“After a year on the road in South America, I still wasn’t happy with my panniers. I started with hard panniers then switched to conventional soft panniers, but neither worked for me. I quickly decided hard panniers were not what I wanted when riding in the dirt (I finally lost one when riding too fast on some serious Bolivian washboard, which was probably a blessing – meant I had to buy some soft panniers before I got a broken ankle in a fall!). I could never get the soft panniers to fit really snug to the bike, and they were a pain to take off and put on – an unavoidable requirement sometimes when staying in hostels.
Eventually I got my hands on some Siskiyous. I had been using a Diablo tank bag for several months – I swapped it for the bigger tank bag I started with, which kept hitting me in the Crown Jewels when standing on the pegs! I was super happy with the Diablo, so I reckoned the Siskiyous were worth a shot. I think I’ve nailed it: really secure, easy to mount and remove, weight nicely forward on the bike, seriously tested in an Argentinian thunderstorm and stayed 100% waterproof… Very happy so far.
I wasn’t sure how they would fit the 660 Tenere because of the prominent pillion handles, but I’ve had no problems. I’ve still got my old pannier rack fitted, but I’m toying with removing it to save a few kg and seeing how things go.”

Thanks Paul for the pics and fit review!
Ride while you can.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #73
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Award winning 2014 Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag PRO

Here are some better updated detail shots of our new 2014 Fandango Tank Bag PRO, which was just named to Powersports Business News "Nifty 50" best new products.

The Diablo Tank Bag PRO offers most of the same features - no concealed document pocket, no elastic organizers on divider inside (this is the trimmer cousin of the Fandango Tank Bag PRO, which is why I used it - with the new Pannier Pockets - on my recent Baja ride).

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #74
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Buckin-Roll

So, the new B&R also works as great wind spoiler for the legs. 27-37 degrees and it really makes a difference. Works great as a water shield!!! Great product. I also found a great place for the credit card, the harness under the small bag held it in place for 1400 miles under every weather condition (short of het anyway) and made it easy to not have to dig into the pockets with gloves on.

Siskiyou panniers were flawless, and using the Pronghorn straps made things even better.

Beware of imitations, these are the real cats meow...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #75
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Beware of imitations, these are the real cats meow...
True that. I would never buy anything other than a Ford since everyone imitated them too!