User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #91
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Giant Loop Profile in ADV Moto March/April 2014

Have you picked up your copy of the March/April issue yet? Get the REAL Giant Loop story, exclusively at ADV Moto magazine!
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #92
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Some amazing pics from the Tuareg Rally have been posted on J-Mo's Tuareg 2014 thread. They are from the rallymaniacs Facebook page. Had to echo a couple of them here, since the racers are packing Mojavi Saddlebags! Good Luck racers!

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #93
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

I haven't paid homage to my favorite brand of Orange Koolaid in a while. So in the spirit of getting excited about the new 1190, having just seen one on our local roads, I had to share this vid, found in OC.

Chris Birch, extreme enduro rider and Dakar finisher, demonstrates how I like to ride Big Bertha: Broad slide-to-slide transitioning into water bar or cattle guard jump, then down rock steps. Although, I don't spend sooo much time, rolling around on the back tire like he does, I'm usually too busy drifting the front...

)

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 12:19 PM
Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #94
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

3rd Annual Giant Loop Ride - Summer Lake Hot Springs Oregon Backcountry Overnighter

Join Giant Loop for off-road adventure in Oregon's beautiful high desert. This is a great way to get a taste of the amazing riding here in Central Oregon - and to meet some new riding friends.

All street-legal bike types welcome - dual sport, adventure touring - we'll have a route and group to suit most any bike and rider. If there's enough interest, we'll even have a road bike route/group this year, too.

Last year we had 50+ riders - this year will be even bigger and better, so reserve your spot now and get a limited edition unbreakable tank bag friendly hot/cold pint glass by Bend, Oregon-based SiliPint (the pint glass is also your ticket to the keg of tasty local microbrew)!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #95
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

I got out on a dual sport ride, last Saturday, celebrating the spell of warm weather.

I tested the Mojavi Saddlebag and Diablo Tank Bag on my wife's '71 Triumph Scrambler. I had seen her ride with the Diablo and knew it was a perfect fit, but I hadn't worked out a saddlebag solution, until this ride. The Mojavi Saddlebag was a perfect fit and I could easily anchor the bag with the fender hooks on the fender and subframe. Since the Triumph has highpipes, the Hot Springs Heat Shields were needed to keep the bag off the muffler.

My wife lost a family friend a couple of weeks ago, so we headed out to his ranch in Post, to share good times and consolation, with his widow and two young kids. The route was about 80 percent paved, but as I got deeper into the rutted out and pot holed dirt road to the ranch, my taste for slinging soil was easily satisfied. The dirt still had enough moisture to stay together for the tires, but not enough to hold down the thin layer of dust.

No complaints from me, other than discovering the true meaning of "6 and 3", as in vintage bike suspension specs... My lower back held in there for the duration, but my backside took notes of how thin the seat foam was and how little dampening it enjoyed, while pogo'ing through the potholes!

Just a side not about capacity and load security:
This load of bottles(two bottles of Zin and a sixer of Deschutes) ran up the mountain from the Post store, with no extra padding, only tight straps, over the ruts and potholes at speed. That was a rewarding sip of suds!

ETA: the only losses, besides some comfort points, were both mirrors! They vibrated right off the bars...

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 11:45 AM
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #96
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

As I read the race results from Daytona Bike Week, is clear that the race and event season is starting to roll. I wrote a blog post today about one of our Mojavis for Medics riders, Rob, who volunteers for the Death Valley Rally.

I want to take this chance to remind Certified Medic riders, that volunteer for motorcycle events and races, about our "Mojavis for Medics" program. Our program supplies special edition Medic marked yellow Mojavi Saddlebags, at no charge, to qualified applicants who volunteer their Medic support to motorcycle events and races. If you are one of those qualified volunteers with events on the calendar, hit this link to download and complete the application, so we can get you set up in our program.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #97
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Giant Loop Tech Tip: GL Rider's quick mount point and inner tube sleeve, prevent strap wear.

Giant Loop rider Dave travels Cambodia, doing volunteer service work on his KTM 450 EXC, and he’s used a Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag for packing his gear through the muddiest tropical rainforest roads and trails. He recently shot us a message, sharing his clever, low-cost, heavy duty mounting point for his Coyote Saddlebag. His attachment point on his bike – “stainless cable, some swage crimps, and steel tube” – helps prevent abrasion of daily use from wearing on his Coyote Saddlebag straps. He’s also using a sleeve made from inner tube rubber – another very effective no-cost solution to protect mounting straps on all of Giant Loop’s rackless luggage systems. Check out his pics:

Thanks for the tech tip, Dave and ride while you can!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 02:55 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #98
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On Any Sunday in Oregon

On Any Sunday: Randomly ran into Giant Loop dealer Rick Bozarth today out at East Fork Rock OHV. He had just arrived after riding over the Cascades this morning on his dual sport in sub-freezing temps, his MoJavi Saddlebag carrying the essentials. Had a perfect packed pumice loop on single track trail 50 (just a few patches of snow left up there).
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #99
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

We are getting more and more signups for the Giant Loop Summer Lake Ride. Today I talked to a party of four that will be joining us from Washington.

This is a reminder to riders that riding public land in Oregon requires an OHV permit, costing $10.50, and for Oregon residents, an OHV Safety Education card .

If you have a OHV permit from a bordering state, you are good to go. If you do not have a permit, you can buy one from a local dealer, even if the bike is licensed out of state and you are not an Oregon resident.

Here are links to the OHV Safety Training, OHV parks in Oregon and the OHV permit vendors

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 08:31 AM
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #100
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Read a great post from inmate Jdeks who just rolled 100,000 miles on his KTM 950 Adventure. His latest pics of the bike show it to be quite evolved from the original. Very, very cool story written to match the feat of KTM's LC8 engine durability. Thanks for sharing the story, Jdeks!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #101
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer: 297
Hi folks. Is the included dry bags the only difference between the 2013 and 2014 Coyote?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #102
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusinthesky View Post
Hi folks. Is the included dry bags the only difference between the 2013 and 2014 Coyote?

Thanks
Correct, there were no pattern changes between the 2013 and 2014 Coyote Saddlebag.

One goal for GL's 2014 line-up, was for the Coyote Saddlebag and Great Basin Saddlebag to be 100% waterproof packing systems. The 2012 and earlier Saddlebags originally sold with draw string stuff sacks to pack gear, but the stuff sacks didn't add technical performance.

Our 100% waterproof Dry Pods, with taped seams and TPU lining, were a valuable upgrade to our original gear organizing concept. Many sets of Dry Pods have been sold separately, from $100-$150 each, to upgrade our customers' 2013 and earlier saddlebags.

Including Dry Pods with the Great Basin and Coyote, not only allowed us to find a better price on the overall package for our customers, but also brings them up to the same waterproof standard as the Siskiyou Panniers, which always included a set of Dry Pods.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #103
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 567
I have some wolfman panniers and think I would like to put the fort-rock bag on top of that on my 950, for the times when my wife wants to join. Do you forsee any problems?
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #104
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

The Ft Rock Top Case can be strapped on top of most panniers. There have been several Ft Rock customers that have used it with other brands of soft panniers, as well as hard boxes, with no reported issues. Good time to be shopping for one, since we have the Ft Rock Top Case on special. Here is a GL blog post about our Ft Rock and two-up.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #105
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,154
A few photos of riders using the GL Mojavi bag system at the Tuareg Rallye in Tunisia this year...

#302 Andrea Wenzel:

#43 Chris Barwick:

#28 Duncan Ure:

#70 Lee Salt:

Many more photos and my full review of the rally over on the 'official coverage' thread (Page 17 onwards for the review)...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...956944&page=17

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote