User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
alaskan dude OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Stopping soft luggage theft

I am planning a trip from Anchorage! Alaska to Colorado this summer and am trying to figure out the best way to keep my soft luggage from being stolen from my Wee when away from the bike. I use an older version of the Giant Loop Great Basin bag with a large mouth dry bag on the rear rack. Was thinking of just wrapping a large bike cable around it all till tight then lock it up with a good padlock. It would kinda look like something from the Stone Ages, anyone got any better ideas ? Thanks.
alaskan dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
They have different sizes available....here's the 120L version:

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-120l-backpack-protector
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I have the Giant Loop siskiyou panniers on my trip from California to Argentina and I got a couple feet of 1/16 coated wire rope from Home Depot. I looped it through the straps on the panniers and through my pannier rack. It's not the most secure thing but I haven't had any problems in 4 months so far. It was a cheap option to. I feel comfortable leaving the bike unattended at borders, in towns to run errands (for short periods), in hotel parking lots, or at tourist sites where I stop for an hour or so. I also have the pacsafe around my Giant Loop dry bag.
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 998
+1 for the Pacsafe....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
I don't believe anyone between Alaska and Colorado would steal anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
niquedouille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Also a very good option is to hide the bike with a cover. Black, with no logo on it. Easy to put on, cost a few.

I have soft bags too and I choose a pacsafe for the big bag across the back seat, and just a wire rope around the straps of the soft bags on the side. But I will not put any things of value in them (water jerican, rain suit and boots, pharmacy, things I need all the time etc..). All things of value go either on the big bag on the back or inside hard panniers (or with me all the time).
But to be honest, if anyone wants to steal something.. he will ! Avoid big cities or park the bike in a safe place if you have to, and trust people.
niquedouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
I've travelled extensively through Australia and Asia with soft bags. Never lost a thing.

Looking at some hard cases at a HU gathering the other day, they looked a more tempting and easier target than the soft bags.

Just pack your dirty underwear on top.... that'll stop 'em

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #8
alaskan dude OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Soft Luggage theft

Thanks, at least mentally I will be able to relax. Will see how the Kanulock works by wrapping it tight several times around my dry bag and giant loop bag and go thru the center ring on it, as well as the rear rack. Then cover it with a bike cover and lay my dirty underwire on top of that,

Kanulock
http://kanulock.com/online_store_us.html
alaskan dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 380
I will be giving this thing a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Contro.../dp/B008AB70A4
Old 01-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquedouille View Post
Also a very good option is to hide the bike with a cover. Black, with no logo on it. Easy to put on, cost a few.

I have soft bags too and I choose a pacsafe for the big bag across the back seat, and just a wire rope around the straps of the soft bags on the side. But I will not put any things of value in them (water jerican, rain suit and boots, pharmacy, things I need all the time etc..). All things of value go either on the big bag on the back or inside hard panniers (or with me all the time).
But to be honest, if anyone wants to steal something.. he will ! Avoid big cities or park the bike in a safe place if you have to, and trust people.

Rather sexist there ay

Don't take anything worth stealing. I don't carry items that can't be replaced along the way, so they are of lesser value to me and others. Don't get me wrong, my gear is some quality stuff but if I lose it it's not life changing or trip ending.

I could see concern if you were in a poorer third world country with loosing parts of your kit but usually it isn't a real problem. Keep your electronics, meds, cards and cash on you in a bum bag or back pack, the rest of it should survive just being stowed away. A bike cover is a plus from prying eyes. PacSafe can be piece of mind if you need it.

Good Karma helps..................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
niquedouille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
niquedouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I dont know about overseas, not having done any touring over there but here in the states I just dont worry about it. I am on the road about 2 months out of the year and have never had anything stolen from the bike. It used to be a worry till I met an old guy some years ago in a restaurant who had left all of his stuff, helmet, bags, coat, gps unlocked on the bike. When I asked him about he just said "Its karma man. anyone who really needs my stuff can have it, anyone who steals it will get whats coming, but I've never had anything go missing" So, now like the old guy, I don't worry about it. 'Course, I don't carry much worth stealing anyway
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri142 View Post
I dont know about overseas, not having done any touring over there but here in the states I just dont worry about it. I am on the road about 2 months out of the year and have never had anything stolen from the bike. It used to be a worry till I met an old guy some years ago in a restaurant who had left all of his stuff, helmet, bags, coat, gps unlocked on the bike. When I asked him about he just said "Its karma man. anyone who really needs my stuff can have it, anyone who steals it will get whats coming, but I've never had anything go missing" So, now like the old guy, I don't worry about it. 'Course, I don't carry much worth stealing anyway
Well spoken, but I do not carry anything of value .
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri142 View Post
Too bad you didn't need a GPS and helmet
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
I don't believe anyone between Alaska and Colorado would steal anything.
That was actually my first thought when I read the OP. It might be a possibility in some of the biggest CO cities, but doesn't seem likely. Personally, I keep valuables in a locking top box, and don't worry about clothes in the soft saddlebags.

This is coming from someone who disc locks both wheels and locks the helmet to the bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote