ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #46
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!
 
MountainsandRivers's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: To Hell U Ride
Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
What is the best way to climb a steep slick rock hill and how best to ride it back down without soling yourself?

Simba
Confidence. Usually I just stand and lean forward over the bars when climbing. Steady throttle application, not heavy throttle, just increase a little as the bike starts to bog. Lower air pressure in the rear tire really helps, but don't go super low unless you want to worry about pinch flats and smacking your rim when you wick it up a bit.
The first place you can get on Fins N Things is after you pass the Slickrock parking lot, you will get up on the mesa, pass a few campsites, and look for the road on the left. It will go through some sandy curves, then fork. The left fork is mostly slickrock type short loops. Great intro and none of the climbs are very bad. Great way to get oriented!
__________________
2009 Beta 525RR
supporter of COHVCO, RMAR, PAPA, TPA and the GOATS!
MountainsandRivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #47
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS
 
simbaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Lansing, MI
Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Confidence. Usually I just stand and lean forward over the bars when climbing. Steady throttle application, not heavy throttle, just increase a little as the bike starts to bog. Lower air pressure in the rear tire really helps, but don't go super low unless you want to worry about pinch flats and smacking your rim when you wick it up a bit.
The first place you can get on Fins N Things is after you pass the Slickrock parking lot, you will get up on the mesa, pass a few campsites, and look for the road on the left. It will go through some sandy curves, then fork. The left fork is mostly slickrock type short loops. Great intro and none of the climbs are very bad. Great way to get oriented!
Thanks for the tip. I think that I will start off in Fins.
How about riding down a steep hill? Turn the bike off and keep in 1st gear and use clutch and brakes to slowly come down? i hate the feeling of 'free fall'.
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #48
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed
 
ChromeSux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Lenoir City TN.
Oddometer: 1,414
Those sandy curves at Finns and things can be fun fun. The first time i went there i was on my KLR. That bike was a bit of a pig in there but i learned to use the banks of the curves in my favor. 2013 when i was on the DRZ it was a hoot. I would go high on the banks and use that for momentum coming down, just stayed on the throttle. Being down in the bottom trying to snake thru did not work as well for me, i liked the banks.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #49
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed
 
ChromeSux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Lenoir City TN.
Oddometer: 1,414
Tag for you

Simbaboy here is a tag for you to get while you are there.

ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #50
vraesch
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 35
Downhill Technique

Simba - I'm not sure about the "killing the engine technique" although I did use this last time on the "steps" at Black Bear Pass Co. It was raining and that made me pretty nervous. There is a cliff there that scares the heck out of me.

Anyway if it is that steep I assume you are already in 1st gear, engine idling with the clutch out. If you are geared low enough let the engine compression hold you back and use just enough rear brake to keep the rear wheel from locking. If you just pull in the clutch and use the brakes only it is too easy to lock the rear wheel. Locking the rear wheel usually means a loss of control. if it is really steep you may not be able to stop from sliding so given the terrain and what is ahead you might just have to accept that you are going to going downhill a little faster than might be comfortable. That said, my primary speed control on downhill is the front brake. Most of the weight is on the front wheel so you can use more front brake than you think. This is esp true on the Moab slickrock where the traction is incredible
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #51
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS
 
simbaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Lansing, MI
Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Simbaboy here is a tag for you to get while you are there.
Hmmm, Initially I thought Dewey Bridge, but I know its not that. If I see it, I will grab it.
Thanks,
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraesch View Post
Simba - I'm not sure about the "killing the engine technique" although I did use this last time on the "steps" at Black Bear Pass Co. It was raining and that made me pretty nervous. There is a cliff there that scares the heck out of me.

Anyway if it is that steep I assume you are already in 1st gear, engine idling with the clutch out. If you are geared low enough let the engine compression hold you back and use just enough rear brake to keep the rear wheel from locking. If you just pull in the clutch and use the brakes only it is too easy to lock the rear wheel. Locking the rear wheel usually means a loss of control. if it is really steep you may not be able to stop from sliding so given the terrain and what is ahead you might just have to accept that you are going to going downhill a little faster than might be comfortable. That said, my primary speed control on downhill is the front brake. Most of the weight is on the front wheel so you can use more front brake than you think. This is esp true on the Moab slickrock where the traction is incredible
Thanks.
Sounds like I am going to need to do a lot of practice runs on safe slick rock before attempting long runs. I think I can 'pucker up' going uphill, but going downhill---will need a lot of practice. But I will up my DS game this year.

Thanks,
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #52
vraesch
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 35
Moab rides and pics

"MountainsAndRivers" - great pics. I want to get up on the Poison Spider Mesa, but I don't think I'll be jumping the "Golden Crack". I've spoken to my friend "RideFreak" that has been to Moab many times he suggests the following:

Top of the world loop (epic views) leave from the Dewey bridge, ride to the top, then down Rose Garden hill (tough but easily doable esp if you walk it down), out Onion Creek then back to the Dewey bridge.

Another is ride out to Chicken Corners and back or even do Lockhart Basin, you'd have to gas up at the needles outpost before the ride back to town. It's got about 40mi of pavement on the way home though.

There's some nice riding into the LaSalle's but there'll probably be snow up there still. The 7 Mile Rim is also a nice ride.

In any case, I suggest going to youtube and searching for videos that can give you some idea of what to expect on these rides.
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #53
FTL900
White and nerdy
 
FTL900's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 263
I can't imagine ever pulling the clutch in on a steep downhill. The engine turning the rear wheel is what keeps it from locking up. Or at least that's the plan.
__________________
The older I get, the faster I used to be.
1999 ZRX1100, 1998 VTR1000, 1996 Bandit 600
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #54
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS
 
simbaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Lansing, MI
Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I can't imagine ever pulling the clutch in on a steep downhill. The engine turning the rear wheel is what keeps it from locking up. Or at least that's the plan.
When I was going down a very steep hill on The WRT I was using the front and rear brakes and also using the clutch. I went down that hill WAY TOO HOT. For me that was the scariest moment I have had in my two years of dual sporting. There was such a drop off on my Right side I was too afraid too let out the clutch thinking I would lock up and lose control of the bike. My 'Coach' at the bottom kept yelling for me to slow down, and I kept yelling at him (in my head) to get out of the way before I run into him!

So I need practice going down steep hills.

Please I need continued hints.
Thanks
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #55
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!
 
MountainsandRivers's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: To Hell U Ride
Oddometer: 2,306
Slow, technical drops I am usually in 1st or 2nd, and fairly even between the brakes, weight toward back. Long steep hills I run a higher gear so the engine compression doesn't fuck with me. Really just depends what the bottom of the hill looks like, smooth run out, turn, ledge drop?
The ride suggestion involving Onion Creek is a good one, but try some of the other mellower suggestions and cut your teeth on Fins N Things before going down Rose Garden. I rode up it 3/4 of the way last fall, and even after I turned around, going down was not exactly easy.
__________________
2009 Beta 525RR
supporter of COHVCO, RMAR, PAPA, TPA and the GOATS!
MountainsandRivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #56
vraesch
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 35
Onion Creek & Top of the World Rides

All,

Has anyone in done Onion Creek or Top of the World trails? If so could you give us an idea of the difficulty of each? It was suggested to me to do a loop starting at Dewey Bridge consisting of Top of the World then down Rose Garden Hill (may involve walking the bike down some ledges) then out Onion Creek to Rt 128. It has been suggested that Rose Garden Hill might not be a good idea, so an alternative might be to do the out and back on Onion Creek, followed by an out and back on Top of the World for those wanting more challenge.

I understand that Onion Creek is fairly easy (if it hasn't rained a lot) but very scenic. I don't know the difficulty level of Top of the World. Your thoughts?
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #57
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wentjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 409
Rose Garden Hill will be difficult for someone with not much experience in the rocks. There are a bunch of smaller ledges leading up to the hill itself. I've seen some larger bikes go down it but they needed to be helped in a few spots. Top of the world isn't hard, just rough.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #58
vraesch
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 35
Moab area ride video

I found this Moab trail ride video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03hZ4nlUPw

It jumps back and forth between various trails, but a worth while view of most of the trails we have been taking about. (Slickrock, Fins&Things, Hells Revenge, 7 Mile Rim, Monitor&Merrimac, Soverign, Top of the World, Gemini Bridges). It ends with hilites of various crashes & mishaps. It was comforting to see that the spot that ended my initial slickrock trail ride (with a bent shifter), was also problematic for others as well. I'll make sure I point out that spot in advance to anyone riding with me.
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #59
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed
 
ChromeSux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Lenoir City TN.
Oddometer: 1,414
More pics for ya Simbaboy.



ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #60
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS
 
simbaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Lansing, MI
Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraesch View Post
All,

Has anyone in done Onion Creek or Top of the World trails? If so could you give us an idea of the difficulty of each? It was suggested to me to do a loop starting at Dewey Bridge consisting of Top of the World then down Rose Garden Hill (may involve walking the bike down some ledges) then out Onion Creek to Rt 128. It has been suggested that Rose Garden Hill might not be a good idea, so an alternative might be to do the out and back on Onion Creek, followed by an out and back on Top of the World for those wanting more challenge.

I understand that Onion Creek is fairly easy (if it hasn't rained a lot) but very scenic. I don't know the difficulty level of Top of the World. Your thoughts?
Hello Friend,
I have done Onion Creek Trail several times---very easy but quite scenic. You get to the trail after 22 Miles of pavement on SR128. Yes you do cross Dewey Bridge.
Imu (Simba)
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014