Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #61
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
More pics for ya Simbaboy.
Thanks for the continued PICS--I and my group love them and inspire us.
Thanks
Simba

No Chrome does not SUx--- I just bought the most chromed out KLR650 ever!
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #62
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,414
Ya gotta get some mud and dirt on that chrome.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #63
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Ya gotta get some mud and dirt on that chrome.
Nope. I bought this bike not for dual sporting, but to retire it. If my wife allows it, I will bring it in the basement and make it into a shiny ornament.

Simba

Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #64
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
More pics for ya Simbaboy.
ChromeSux,

Are these pics from the WRT?

Nice bike btw!

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #65
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
Nope. I bought this bike not for dual sporting, but to retire it. If my wife allows it, I will bring it in the basement and make it into a shiny ornament.

Simba

Oh my!

Congrats Simba, that's to purdy get dirty.

What ever happened to the Zombie? Still got it?

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #66
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,565
Quote:
You get to the trail after 22 Miles of pavement on SR128. Yes you do cross Dewey Bridge.
you do not cross Dewey Bridge....you cross near it, or what's left of it.

back in the day it was a cool old bridge that you went past while doing the Kokopelli Trail or coming down hwy 128...

in April 2008 it was burned down when a 7 yr old boy playing with matches caught the surrounding brush on fire

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #67
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Oh my!

Congrats Simba, that's to purdy get dirty.

What ever happened to the Zombie? Still got it?
Hello Sam, I still have the 'Zombie' KLR--but I have it for sale. There is a young guy that wants it bad and will be sending me a deposit in the next day or so. But he can't come and get the bike until the day before we leave on our Moab trip. Since his offer, I have had several full price cash offers, but I already committed to the guy. My wife will not let me sell the bike to anyone else but the kid as he was very polite on the phone. Yikes, his offer was less than what others are offering. But I believe in karma--I think the bike has this kid's name on it.

Imu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
you do not cross Dewey Bridge....you cross near it, or what's left of it.

back in the day it was a cool old bridge that you went past while doing the Kokopelli Trail or coming down hwy 128...

in April 2008 it was burned down when a 7 yr old boy playing with matches caught the surrounding brush on fire
Thanks Blackbird.
That stretch of SR128 is incredible--especially riding it into Moab. They have built a bicycle path next to the river. Why not join us for our Moab Adventure week?

Simba
Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #68
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
ChromeSux,

Are these pics from the WRT?

Nice bike btw!
The one of me with my bike is WRT. The other is near Gemni bridges (i think).
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #69
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,465
[QUOTE=simbaboy;23386015]Hello Sam, I still have the 'Zombie' KLR--but I have it for sale. There is a young guy that wants it bad and will be sending me a deposit in the next day or so. But he can't come and get the bike until the day before we leave on our Moab trip. Since his offer, I have had several full price cash offers, but I already committed to the guy. My wife will not let me sell the bike to anyone else but the kid as he was very polite on the phone. Yikes, his offer was less than what others are offering. But I believe in karma--I think the bike has this kid's name on it.

Imu

Just another sign of you being good people!
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #70
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,539
RE: the KLR

Went to Moab last year . . . . . Husky TE610

Going again this Spring Break; May see ya there . . . . . .

Did WRT & Slickrock & others . . . . . . . . You'll have a blast !

Regarding your question of climbing (& descending) the steep, I'd strongly recommend installing a larger rear sprocket . . . . . .

Before going last year, I installed -1 tooth on the leeeetle sprocket, but I'm going to +3 on the rear as well . . . . . .

. . . . . . . Will post a few pix later; Off to work now . . . . . .

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #71
vraesch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
+1 on the gearing

When I 1st got my new KTM 500 EXC it was geared very high (15/45). By comparison the off-road version of this is the KTM 500 xcw and stock gearing for it is 14/52. My first off-road experience with the bike was on the Colorado 500. With this gearing, the bike had plenty of power to climb anything I encountered. The problem was on the downhills. With the engine at idle and the clutch out the bike would go downhill at a faster pace than I was comfortable with. The engine was actually pushing instead of holding back. Also with the engine turning over so slowly it was very easy to lock the rear wheel with even moderate braking effort. I suffered with this the entire week. Granted my off road skill were pretty rusty, but it just didn't seem right. I wound up changing the final gearing to 13-48 and everything about the bike improved, including downhill manners. With the lower gearing you will have engine (compression) breaking available almost always. As someone said, on a really steep long downhill you may have to use a higher gear to overcome excessive engine breaking. Of course, now I don't feel comfortable cruising down the road at more than 60mph, but that is not what I use the KTM for. That said, I would probably change the counter shaft sprocket to a 14 or 15 if much road was to be encountered.

So to sum it up, i think you should consider lowering the gearing for this week in Moab anyway.
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #72
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 581
White rim trail is easy and scenic

warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #73
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

[QUOTE=wayno;23387048]
Quote:
Hello Sam, I still have the 'Zombie' KLR--but I have it for sale. There is a young guy that wants it bad and will be sending me a deposit in the next day or so. But he can't come and get the bike until the day before we leave on our Moab trip. Since his offer, I have had several full price cash offers, but I already committed to the guy. My wife will not let me sell the bike to anyone else but the kid as he was very polite on the phone. Yikes, his offer was less than what others are offering. But I believe in karma--I think the bike has this kid's name on it.

Imu

Just another sign of you being good people!
THANKS. I BELIEVE IN KARMA AND A FEW $$ HARDLY MATTERS IN THE END.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Went to Moab last year . . . . . Husky TE610

Going again this Spring Break; May see ya there . . . . . .

Did WRT & Slickrock & others . . . . . . . . You'll have a blast !

Regarding your question of climbing (& descending) the steep, I'd strongly recommend installing a larger rear sprocket . . . . . .

Before going last year, I installed -1 tooth on the leeeetle sprocket, but I'm going to +3 on the rear as well . . . . . .

. . . . . . . Will post a few pix later; Off to work now . . . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraesch View Post
When I 1st got my new KTM 500 EXC it was geared very high (15/45). By comparison the off-road version of this is the KTM 500 xcw and stock gearing for it is 14/52. My first off-road experience with the bike was on the Colorado 500. With this gearing, the bike had plenty of power to climb anything I encountered. The problem was on the downhills. With the engine at idle and the clutch out the bike would go downhill at a faster pace than I was comfortable with. The engine was actually pushing instead of holding back. Also with the engine turning over so slowly it was very easy to lock the rear wheel with even moderate braking effort. I suffered with this the entire week. Granted my off road skill were pretty rusty, but it just didn't seem right. I wound up changing the final gearing to 13-48 and everything about the bike improved, including downhill manners. With the lower gearing you will have engine (compression) breaking available almost always. As someone said, on a really steep long downhill you may have to use a higher gear to overcome excessive engine breaking. Of course, now I don't feel comfortable cruising down the road at more than 60mph, but that is not what I use the KTM for. That said, I would probably change the counter shaft sprocket to a 14 or 15 if much road was to be encountered.

So to sum it up, i think you should consider lowering the gearing for this week in Moab anyway.
Thanks Friends, I really appreciate the advice. I don't care about major speeds on the Highways or even on the trails. I think gearing is the key. I am leaning more towards the TW200 over the DR350SE for this Moab week. I was planning to bring both bikes to Moab, but may have another bike on the way back home. Its all good.

Thanks and keep bringing on the advice, ride/trail recommendations and also your Moab pictures.

Thanks
Simba
Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #74
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
White rim trail is easy and scenic
[IMG]
Hell if everything is easy then Ill just leave the TW at home
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #75
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Random pics

Onion Creek

On Musselman Arch

Entering Canyonland NP