ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Got2Moto OP
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 505
Pacific NorthWet Tag a Camp Spot

I was trying to find a map of tent camp spots that aren't
on any of the googled or State camping links.
Under $10 or free per night would the goal here.

Have a Good Cheap Camp Spot you care to share?
Cheap or free (relatively safe) being the key words here.

Anyone can find a State Park on a map, But where are
the good free or cheap places?

Tired of paying more for a camp spot than you spend on gas?

Let's play Tag A Map! Bonus points for adding a photo!
Quiet spare acreage would be also be welcomed.

Once I figure out how to embed a map here I'll do it.
Until then,

Click the needle locator in the upper tool bar, Zoom in and Tag the spot. Click on the tag to add a photo and remarks.

Got2Moto screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 12:02 AM
Got2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,363
Great idea. I'll keep my eyes open for those little gems to add to this.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Do you want to limit these to "improved, organized" campsites, or are unimproved spots on backcountry travels and such included?

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,107
Cool idea, but sorry I'm not giving up spots. I've seen one of my favorite campsites (that was free) already get shut down to overuse. Was once a cool little spot only know by locals then the word about it got out in a book.

Just give a second thought before you share your favorite secluded spot. It may not be as secluded the next time you visit.

Mr Dual Sport screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 07:24 AM
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
Cool idea, but sorry I'm not giving up spots. I've seen one of my favorite campsites (that was free) already get shut down to overuse. Was once a cool little spot only know by locals then the word about it got out in a book.

Just give a second thought before you share your favorite secluded spot. It may not be as secluded the next time you visit.

The good ones are good for a reason

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Got2Moto OP
Got2MotoGraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Do you want to limit these to "improved, organized" campsites, or are unimproved spots on backcountry travels and such included?
I'd say any and all would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Got2Moto OP
Got2MotoGraphics

Quote:

Everybody probably has "Their spot" . Me too. I'd be the first to say Don't give'em up.
I'm just suggesting a cheaper alternative to the $15-$30 & up Parks with the noisy generators and such.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Got2Moto OP
Got2MotoGraphics

Quote:

^ Keep your jewels

The end result is just trying to have a good trip in any direction without maxing out the plastic each time.

Sounds a little on the "tent space "theme but much less formal. Just sharing a little information between riders. If that's a bad thing than this thread will just
die a lonely death.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

The spot I was referring to was an improved BLM site near Glide, OR. Not just some random spot in the woods.
It was published in a swimming hole book then got increasingly popular over the next decade.
So popular they decided not to deal with it any more and just shut it down. There was talk of starting to charge to cover the additional use. I guess it was easier for them just to close it.
It was a free spot with approx 15 camping sites, water, and toilets.

Mr Dual Sport screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 08:30 AM
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,794
Shady Dell rest area and campgrounds,,closed for years due to abuse,dumping, and vandalism, and it's just outside of Oakridge on hwy 58.
I've seen other places changed to 'day use only',,no camping!
More remote or "secret" camp spots must remain confidential,,or suffer restrictions or closures.
I know of a few,,but I'm not telling!
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

My advise for finding a great site is to stop and talk to locals. A smile and some good conversation goes a long ways. I don't think enough folks do that anymore.
Many just seem to find someone else's GPS track and pass on through. I've never had a problem finding some awesome, free, sites wherever I go. Who knows, you might make a friend too! I've made quite a few over the years doing just that.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,794
^^^what he said!
Spent some time just hanging out at the Paisley gas station, talking with the owner (who also has the laundrymat,,and rents showers to gritty dirt campers),,camped at Martser's Springs,,nice place!,,killing time the next evening,went back into town & spent a few hours in the local tavern just BS'ing with ranchers and loggers.
You time it so you are in the tav at the end of the work day, have a couple brews,,talk with the guys just getting "off work". Then go next door, have a supper at the cafe,burn an hour or so,then go kill some time at the gas station,give the owner a buck anna half and get a hot shower, then wander back to the tav for the "after dinner" crowd, and talk with another group of local hunters, loggers, and such,, ask about fishing spots!!(a great back-roads conversation starter!),,ask about viewpoints and lookouts.let them know you like camping away from humans and let THEM offer ideas about remote camping spots,,
what I have found is,,,

The locals are more curious about you in your space ranger outfit, and why the hell you'd seek out dirty back roads to nowhere in particular!
They are sort of suspicious at a lot of questions from a stranger, and some don't get any stranger than ADV riders!
Once it is established that you are harmlessly crazy, they have A TON OF RIDING INFO that you can't get elsewhere,,like which gates are okay to open and close, or which areas to avoid due to logging activities.
Just drag out a map, lay it on a table and point at some obscure spot,,and buy a round for "old Billy and his wife", and watch what happens! ,,,,,,,,,,Instantly,, the whole tavern is full of suggestions!
I have met some of the most wonderful and helpful people in all the PacWet region,, just give out that what you'd like to receive.

peterman screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 08:20 PM
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
^^^what he said!
Spent some time just hanging out at the Paisley gas station, talking with the owner (who also has the laundrymat,,and rents showers to gritty dirt campers),,camped at Martser's Springs,,nice place!,,killing time the next evening,went back into town & spent a few hours in the local tavern just BS'ing with ranchers and loggers.
You time it so you are in the tav at the end of the work day, have a couple brews,,talk with the guys just getting "off work". Then go next door, have a supper at the cafe,burn an hour or so,then go kill some time at the gas station,give the owner a buck anna half and get a hot shower, then wander back to the tav for the "after dinner" crowd, and talk with another group of local hunters, loggers, and such,, ask about fishing spots!!(a great back-roads conversation starter!),,ask about viewpoints and lookouts.let them know you like camping away from humans and let THEM offer ideas about remote camping spots,,
what I have found is,,,

The locals are more curious about you in your space ranger outfit, and why the hell you'd seek out dirty back roads to nowhere in particular!

They are sort of suspicious at a lot of questions from a stranger, and some don't get any stranger than ADV riders!
Once it is established that you are harmlessly crazy, they have A TON OF RIDING INFO that you can't get elsewhere,,like which gates are okay to open and close, or which areas to avoid due to logging activities.
Just drag out a map, lay it on a table and point at some obscure spot,,and buy a round for "old Billy and his wife", and watch what happens! ,,,,,,,,,,Instantly,, the whole tavern is full of suggestions!
I have met some of the most wonderful and helpful people in all the PacWet region,, just give out that what you'd like to receive.

What he^^^^^^^^said.

"Creative use of what we have is part of the point of motorcycling"- Kevin Smith/Motorcyclist Magazine.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Fly Molo
Crazy Sniffable

Oddometer: 65
I suppose someone could add local ones from here

http://freecampsites.net/
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Here is another link.