User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Spam16v OP
Squid Rocket

Oddometer: 786
DIY HDPE skidplate

Looking to add a low cost HDPE skid plate to my CRF150f I just got. There are some tabs on the frame, but I have plans to add some more "structural" tabs via Tig welding. McMaster has some 1/4" material available and two bikes worth is about $35. Anyone have an HDPE plate that can offer some advice?
Spam16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Too far...I'd give you free HDPE,I have lots of that. That's what the commercial cutting boards are made of, I save the old ones and put them through the planer for different thicknesses.

Any color, red ones to match the Honda colors???

Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Spam16v OP
Squid Rocket

I'd do some measuring and gladly pay my way/shipping & efforts. I was going to do black, but red sounds fancy.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

They are about $25.00 new at restaurant equipment supply stores, 18"x24"x1/2". Red for meat btw.

Not sure how impact resistant the 1/4" would be, probably pretty good. I planed some last week, I'll torture it tomorrow if I have time.

I was more interested in bending/shaping it for projects, doesn't look too difficult.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 583
Eek

Use UHMW. It is WAY more durable than HDPE.
Stuff is so study, I cut threads into it instead of using external fasteners.
Unfortunately it only comes in black and white.
McMaster carries UHMW also.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
And about 3-4 times the price if not more. Sure makes for lousy cutting boards, way too slippery. Someone had that bright idea at work years ago. Fine by me I took all the old yucky ones home instead of throwing them in the garbage.$2-300.00 of free UHMW.

I gave some of both UHMW and HDPE to my friend. Unaware of the differences he used HDPE first to make blocks for the HF tire changer I gave him. We sure snapped one. All fixed with UHMW now that I pointed the differences to him.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
It comes in yellow too. We use it here at work since it's tough and nothing sticks to it. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,486
Starboard is a lot easer to work with. It's not as strong as UHMWPE but it is very strong. This is the plastic boat accessories like rod racks are made from. Starboard cuts and routers very well leaving a smooth finish. UHMWPE does not cut well or router well and can not be hot bent like HDPE and Starboard can. There is no good way to sand UHMWPE, it is just too abrasive resistant.

I made these rear racks from Starboard. Made a wood template, rough cut and drilled, router to the template with a copy bit, router all the edges, then hot bent in a wood die. The same steps could make a skid plate.

If you plan to use plastic, and plastic is a good material to use, use sharp tools, make straight cuts, and aim for no sanding at all so the finish will be uniform.

Get your Starboard here:
http://www.boedeker.com/?gclid=CKGUuNmAorwCFecRMwodl18AYQ
They ship anywhere and take credit cards. Ask for Jake!
It comes in white, black, grey, and putty ( computer case color ).

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 583
Eek UHWMide bits is all.

Cuts really well, routes okay. I use a chop/miter saw, band saw, router, hand tools, rasps, files, etc. on UHMW. Just use carbide bits in power tools.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Starboard is a lot easer to work with. It's not as strong as UHMWPE but it is very strong. This is the plastic boat accessories like rod racks are made from. Starboard cuts and routers very well leaving a smooth finish. UHMWPE does not cut well or router well and can not be hot bent like HDPE and Starboard can. There is no good way to sand UHMWPE, it is just too abrasive resistant.

I made these rear racks from Starboard. Made a wood template, rough cut and drilled, router to the template with a copy bit, router all the edges, then hot bent in a wood die. The same steps could make a skid plate.

If you plan to use plastic, and plastic is a good material to use, use sharp tools, make straight cuts, and aim for no sanding at all so the finish will be uniform.

Get your Starboard here:
http://www.boedeker.com/?gclid=CKGUuNmAorwCFecRMwodl18AYQ
They ship anywhere and take credit cards. Ask for Jake!
It comes in white, black, grey, and putty ( computer case color ).
Starboard???? Doesn't come up in their website under that name. We'd need another description/trade name??? I could have used some of that yesterday.

But I played with the HDPE and the big hammer. Sure easy to break, one small hit with Great-grandpa's hammer. Shattered just like them blocks my friend made for the tire changer.

But now I know that I can make brackets & such out of HDPE.

But I disagree on the UHMW, always had good results cutting, drilling and even planing it. Drills very well with Forstner drill bits.And sands/shapes well with the proper woodworking "power" tools.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Starboard???? Doesn't come up in their website under that name. We'd need another description/trade name??? I could have used some of that yesterday.

But I played with the HDPE and the big hammer. Sure easy to break, one small hit with Great-grandpa's hammer. Shattered just like them blocks my friend made for the tire changer.

But now I know that I can make brackets & such out of HDPE.

But I disagree on the UHMW, always had good results cutting, drilling and even planing it. Drills very well with Forstner drill bits.And sands/shapes well with the proper woodworking "power" tools.
The trade name Boedecker sells is Seaboard. Basically med/high dense polyethylene.

I don't think I made my point very well.
What I meant was you need good, sharp tools for clean cuts on plastic.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,207
I made a skid plate for my WR450F out of UHMW Last year. I used 1/8" sheet and not once worried about it not holding up. Though if I were to do it again, I'd go with 3/16 or even 1/4" for the sake of being able to counter-sink mounting hardware better.

The sheet was purchased from www.mcmaster.com (Item 4296A48). 24x24 was plenty for me.

Like Fritzcoinc, it's a bit of a pain heat forming it. It just takes time for the heat to dissipate, and when it does, it still doesn't hold the shape the best. We have a giant band saw at our shop, so cutting it was no issue. Drilling holes with standard drill bits is easy enough, and finishing can be done with a dremel.

I cut out a template out of cardboard. I then cut out the UHMW Sheet to size & added my mounting holes. I fixtured the lower mounting holes to the bike, and then applied heat to the skid plate. I slowly bent around the frame rails until I could screw in my upper mounting holes. I had tried to add some more side engine protection, but without having a plug\mold to hold the plastic in place while hot, it's a real PITA. Compound curves with any of this forming is a trick to say the least

It is nice and slick stuff though. Going over rocks\logs, it didn't grab like the aluminum would.

Hope that offers some sort of help.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Spam16v OP
Squid Rocket

That's exactly what I'm going for! Flawless.

What method did you use to heat it? Oven or heat gun?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
the only complaint i had about the UHMW skid plate on my bike: i forgot how slippery the stuff is... slipped off the work stand more than a couple times.

sure is nice sliding over stuff, though...
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam16v View Post
That's exactly what I'm going for! Flawless.

What method did you use to heat it? Oven or heat gun?
It was far from flawless.

I used a small propane torch & kept the flame constantly moving. Very easy to go too far with the heat. It'll start to brown\bubble like a creme brulee. An oven would have been a better choice, as I would have gotten a better flex out of the entire thing, but for some reason I didn't think to toss it in our oven here.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote