Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #136
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Live in Sedro-Woolley, a few miles east of bow. My suggestion would be take Hwy 395 north to Hwy 20. You will see more of the real Washington and the mountains. Taking hwy 20 will take you over 5 distinct passes including Washington and Rainy pass over the North Cascades and the North Cascades National Park. The route you have is over boring flat/rolling hills through endless wheat fields. Just my input.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #137
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
How about jumping onto WA-20 even sooner?

Mostly WA-20 Route
Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #138
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I agree with the earlier SR. 20 route, another option is to ride the ferry across at Gifford Ferry and cut across the Colville Reservation to Nespelum and head North to catch Hwy-20. Either way will be better than the proposed route.

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #139
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hayshaker: Like this route
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #140
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,224
MUCH better. The ferry crossing is fun and the pass between inchelium and 21 is a fun one. If you're willing to ride some gravel I can improve it drastically.

From Omak (Okanogan) head North on Highway 27. Then take the highway we call OLD 7 north to the Loomis Orville Highway and head to Loomis. Stop there and eat the best chicken strips in the county. Then up the mountains on Toats Coulee road (which is part of the Washington Back Country Discovery Route). Hook a left at Long Swamp and follow the nice gravel road all the way over to the Methow and you're back on highway 21. It will take longer but there is much less traffic, and once you leave highway 97 its all speeds below 50 mph.

It would roughly look like this:

If you stick with the route you have be careful going over the pass outside of Okanogan (we call it The Loop)... that pass eats bikes. I saw a lady on a harley run it off the road and die a few years ago, and her husband was riding right behind her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
hayshaker: Like this route

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u

wbedient screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 10:41 PM
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #141
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I love being able to talk to regional people and improve my route.

Dirt and gravel roads are great and I'm purposefully taking many of them.

The Loomis to Winthrop run will push my current range limits, but I'm hoping to improve my range.

The Route through Washington w/ Ferry
The Route through Washington w/o Ferry
Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #142
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Received all my Vapor stuff yesterday. Spent my free time before welding class figuring it out and accessing the "super secret settings" so I can have it match the bike when I install it.

Getting good route ideas thanks to posting in the regional forums. Couple new options through Washington, more mountains and dirt/gravel.
The Route through Washington w/ Ferry
The Route through Washington w/o Ferry
Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #143
Turbo Ghost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Give it hell man! I love stuff like this! I've got a 1982 KE100 with about 2500 miles on it. Just like you, I'm 6'2" and I weigh about 210lbs. I love the little bike! I call it my giggle-bike! On flat ground, I've hit 65mph but, I was tucked in tight! If I sat up....50! I ended-up dropping a tooth up front just to help me get up my driveway easier. My problem is I keep melting pistons. I'm pretty sure I've got an air leak somewhere but, I'm prepping for a Route 66 trip in June with other bikes and all my time and money is going to that. Coincidentally, I'll be leaving June 13th headed to Chicago so, if you happen to be on 66 over the next few days, I might run into you!
Some mentioned going up a tooth or two in the front or down in the back. Personally, I wouldn't do it. People don't realize how non-level most roads are. The KE will let you know if there is the slightest bit of incline and going up in gearing will multiply that. I think stock is fine for what you are going to be doing.
No matter what, I would carry extra fuel! The mileage you get now can take a huge hit if you have strong headwinds or on sections with lots of hills so, your normal range will not be so normal outside of your home turf! Better to have extra fuel and not need it than to need it and not have it!
Damn you! Now you've got me wanting to get the beast on the road again! Mo' money, mo' money!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #144
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
You are on the right track with the changes. To shorten the fuel range issue what about going through to Concunully? There is gas there during the day. I don't know that area nearly well enough. The Gifford Ferry is a free ferry and is fun.

From Athol head to Newport, Bartlete RD, Flowery Trail Rd, into Chewelah rather than 395. It is all good route and gets off of the highway. Fuel is available in Addy about a mile North of the 395/Addy-Gifford intersection.

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #145
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When do you plan on arriving in Chicago? Maybe I can meet your group near or at the end of 66.

Are you pre-mixing or letting the Auto Lube do it's job? Something is making you run lean.

ihatemybike screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 09:21 AM
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #146
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Washington's route seems to be getting pretty awesome.

The Route through Washington
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #147
Turbo Ghost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
When do you plan on arriving in Chicago? Maybe I can meet your group near or at the end of 66.

Are you pre-mixing or letting the Auto Lube do it's job? Something is making you run lean.

I'll be arriving in Chicago late on either the 13th or 14th of June. I use the auto lube. I've got an air leak in the seals I do believe. Just haven't had time to chase it down with everything else going on.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #148
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I love my KE100, sounds like you are going to have quite the ride and adventure!

Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #149
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So that's what they look like with straight rear turn signal stalks.....
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #150
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
So that's what they look like with straight rear turn signal stalks.....
Actually, the stalks aren't even for the KE, I'm not sure what bike they are of off, but they are single wire so they work. The rear signals for the KE mount in holes in the frame with rubber bushings, just behind the shock mount. I couldn't find originals, so the signals I have, the threaded portion wasn't long enough for the original hole, and they don't have the proper bend to clear the exhaust. So I removed the bolts holding the rear plastic tail and mounted them through there.

Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote