Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #151
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Vapor arrived yesterday, looking forward to installing it.

Working on the route, stops are towns known to have fuel.

The Route through E Montana Pt1
The Route through E Montana Pt2

Any suggestions to make the Eastern part of the state more interesting?

The Route through NW Montana
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #152
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,062
Visit Fort Peck Dam and town site.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #153
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,224
That current route you have is a good one. More scenic than the Long swamp route I suggested and the road is worse shape (i.e. more fun to ride). Most of it is on Washington Department of Natural Resource land and they want vehicles to have a discover liscense ($35) to park on state land. You could probably plead ignorance and get away with it IF you even met a warden up there.

If fuel is a concern just head west out of Conconully on the 37 road over Baldy and you'll drop down into the Methow. It would shorten your route but it would also be less scenic then what you have now.

There is gas in Conconully. Also, check your inbox I'm sending you a PM.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #154
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How well do they post needing this license? What is considered parking? I probably won't ever be that far from my bike when I take breaks. I'll be couch surfing and camping, might end up camping in the forest. Do wardens have licenses with them to sell?

May travel dates West on the moto are July 11th through the 19th and return in the Jeep (mostly) with my wife July 20th through 26th.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #155
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That sounds good. Makes me wish I had more range already so I could go from Poplar to Glasgow skipping more of US-2.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #156
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,062
You could gas in Wolf Point and turn to Fort Peck. What is your gas range?

You might try the online mapping program https://trips.furkot.com/welcome. Free, similar to Google (uses Google back ground engine). Easier, and you can program in speed and mileage for gas stops and daily distances for stopping. It also will export tracks directly in GPX format for loading into BaseCamp, converting to routes then a GPS.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #157
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm doing about 75 miles before I hit the reserve with my local riding. Currently only have a 2 gallon tank with about 1.75 usable. Trying to find a 1982 or later KE 2.5 (2.25 usable) gallon tank for cheap, though that's only a 21 mile range increase. Wouldn't make sense to buy just for the trip, but it would increase my range enough that I could go to the gas station every other day, instead of daily, with my work commute.

ihatemybike screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 09:53 AM
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #158
Turbo Ghost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I love my KE100, sounds like you are going to have quite the ride and adventure!

That is one NICE KE100!!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #159
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
How well do they post needing this license? What is considered parking? I probably won't ever be that far from my bike when I take breaks. I'll be couch surfing and camping, might end up camping in the forest. Do wardens have licenses with them to sell?

May travel dates West on the moto are July 11th through the 19th and return in the Jeep (mostly) with my wife July 20th through 26th.
You can get a "Disco" pass at any shop that sells fishing or hunting liscenses. Spectacle Lake Resort sells them (near Loomis). Discover pass signs are posted everywhere.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #160
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
I like to travel on a 250 so I love the idea. Couple comments though.

Climbing hills on the highway at elevation, not only will you be down on power (I think you are in for a surprise about how slow you will be going in places) but you will also use more gas. Partly because you will be working harder, but also because you'll be so rich you'll be wide open to try to maintain half the speed limit. I would keep an eye on the spark plug because once it gets fouled it gets worse. In fact I would rejet at some point. Or at least have some way to open up your air flow.

My 250 (air cooled, carb, 15 thunderous hp at sea level) can do 70mph on flat ground. But throw in a mountain pass or a head wind and I'm in 4th gear doing 50. Before I rejetted, the plug would foul and I would struggle to do 40 or 45 on climbs around 7k feet. And my mpgs were crap. Little engines with no power to spare have to be tuned just right.

Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #161
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I completely agree with everything you said. It seems that my bike is already running rich and will only get worse as elevation increases. My mpg is already crap. Last two fills averaged 44 mpg.

The stock carb's needle jet has no adjustment grooves in it for me to tune it better. I've been looking for an adjustable needle jet that will work, but haven't found any definite fits yet. The new KEs received an updated adjustable carb, that I may try seeing if I can get one cheap.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #162
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Is there a shim on the needle that could be replaced with a thinner washer(s)? Or maybe even just a smaller main jet would help even with the needle as it is.

I just don't want you to underestimate how bad it can get on a little bike at elevation, especially if it's not running right to start with. Staying north will keep you lower than if you were to cross, say, Colorado.

The key to traveling on a little bike is don't get in a hurry and stay off the beaten path. Unfortunately with your very limited range you probably have to stick to the beaten path. Avoid the bigger towns and traffic should stay relatively light and calm. I realize that being from Chicago your idea of a bigger town is probably much different than mine LOL. But again, you might not be able to do that. Man I wish you had at least 100 miles. I have 300 miles on mine so I don't even go thru a town every day LOL. Are you sure you can even get across western SD or NE with that tank?

If I was doing this, I would strap on a fartsack and solo tent so I didn't have to keep on a schedule. Eat all your meals in towns so camping is just sleeping for the night. Carry a camelback pack with water and a change of clothes and rain gear. Besides a credit card that's all you really need and would be fairly light. The more stuff you hang off the sides, the more wind you push.

This will be a ton of fun. How is the seat? Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #163
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Route: N Idaho
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #164
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Route: Washington