Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #46
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Just verified the KE received an updated carb in 1982 and continued using it until 2001.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #47
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
Excellent, another verification of larger tank size on the newer bikes. Collemanapp, you saying I can borrow a gas tank?

I think the newer models received an updated carb as I accidentally bought a kit for a different carb used on these bikes. I've been through mine several times before I started riding it. No additional grooves in the needle for the clip and I never found anything other than the idle speed knob to adjust.

I'm hoping not to have to mess with the bike too much en route. It's plenty fast as it is now and I have a feeling I'll need the lower gearing when I hit the Rockies. Really wish it had the Hi/Lo range of some it's older brothers.

Not sure how this trip is outside of it's design parameters. The KE is after all a dual sport bike. The only thing really unusual is the duration of use per day. I know this trip is big, so big that I'll be taking practice trips. First nice weekend, I'm heading to the Mississippi and back along US 20. Roughly 300 miles to cover in one day.

One thing that I've been thinking of is adding a temperature sensor to the cylinder. I know once I hit the mountains there will most likely be sections where I'll be in the lower gears with the engine higher in the revs and less air moving past the fins. I think it would be good to know when to back down and give the motor a rest. Anyone seen this done?
I found dropping the front sprocket GAINED me a few mph, because the motor didnt have to work as hard... I put a 13t front on it with the stock rear, and max speed with my 260# butt on it is 54... With the stock gearing i could only get 49 and i couldnt get 5th to rev out at all... It was soley cruising gear... Also made first gear much more useable offroad.... Just a sugestion there...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #48
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Also, i am the one with the vapor... Everything is up and running, and makes for a much nicer dash than stock... I cant find pics right now but i will post up some tonight hopefully ... Its a fairly straight forward install...
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #49
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Nevermind...LOL i found my youtube vid of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hz...e_gdata_player
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #50
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRatworks View Post
Oh, you mean High /Low range like the TC? It`s 8 speeds or no speeds, my friend! I actually use low a bit, especially climbing steeeeeep tracks which would tax even a much bigger four stroke.

In all honesty, Norty has a valid point. KEs (and TCs!) aren`t intended for the trips we have in mind for our bikes. (The TC was marketed, in the 1970`s, as a FARM bike).

HOWEVER!

Simply using a small bike long distance, will not kill it. It`s all to do with mechanical empathy - and engine prep. If you ride it like a dickhead, trying to imitate a KTM with an old, tiny engine, or not using your head when it comes to dealing with the traffic you may get caught in, you will kill the engine quick, or worse, get hurt.

If you realise the engine is doing it`s best to get you there, all it asks is for a little consideration. Don`t load it up like you would a 650, first off. Every gram, or ounce, counts. I`ve even taken off the pillion pegs, and swapped the heavy chrome indicators with lightweight plastic ones. Lightest weight camping gear, no crap like heavy luxury chairs, etc. The heaviest item i`m packing is 5 litres of fuel, cause these two strokers suck fuel like a hooker in a bar under load.

Second is riding style. DON`T BE IN A RUSH! I could be prepping my DR 650 for tour, but i want to have fun, see the sights and challenge both me and the bike. When going up hills don`t load it up, change back and take the speed hit BEFORE the speed arrives where the engine is `off the pipe` in the lower gear. Vary your throttle setting a bit as well. You won`t lose too much more speed.

There is a reason why people fry old Volkwagens. They go up hills in too high a gear.. The fan in them is not spinning fast enough to cool properly. It`s not revs which REALLY makes heat, it`s the load. Load up an air cooled in high gears, it will get hotter than going up in a gear lower with a few more revs on tap. THAT`S what kills them on hills.

Also on flat fast sections, avoid sustained full throttle, maximum revs running. That will kill almost ANY two stroke bike. Close off from time to time, and vary throttle. You will lose speed, but that`s not the name of the game here, is it? And by the sounds of it, your`e KE has TONNES of oil going through it (or a tiny oil tank?, my TC gets lots more than 2:1 fuel / oil tanks)

Basically, don`t flog your`e little two stroke bike, load it the bare minimum of bullshit, and use good oil. (Or also anti seize compound like i do ) and there should be no real reason why it will die on the trip.

When it comes to traffic, I stick to the edge/shoulder/whatever, and indicate off the road when i`m being caught up to. They go out and around, you don`t have to pull up completely, and all is well. A noob would stay in the middle, piss everybody off, and be passed in dangerous places, no doubt copping abuse. Like you, I intend to stay off main roads as much as possible.

One last thing, I have a TrailTech Vapor, with the temp sensor on an exhaust flange bolt. It`s supposed to go under the spark plug, but the TC has fat plugs. It`s useless on the flange, unless the cable is broken. I must test it!
I can`t wait to finally take mine on a camping trip. It`s already conquered a small `mountain` albeit unloaded. Now I want to go places far and wide!

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I should defend the idea of ` Tiny Touring `.
Regarding the temp sensor for the vapor.... I have mine on one of the head bolts... I dislike the idea of at the spark plug...LOL however the temp sensor on my 4t is on the plug... But its currently not working so....LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #51
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

bogie,
Good to know about the front sprocket. I'll have to get a couple and play.

In the video the speedo isn't working, what did it take to make it?

We really need to ride on our KEs together. I've been getting short rides in lately on the sunny days. Where do you draw the line for your riding?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #52
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone know what temp would be close to the danger zone on the KEs?

I suppose I could ask Wiseco and Millennium Tech.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #53
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Hello

Interesting idea. There may be some bridges/water crossing where you have to use the interstate. Same is true for some of the more mountainous areas. Might I suggest a blinking bicycle rear light or something similar to wear if you are riding after dark? 6v taillights are not bright and burn out pretty quickly if the headlight goes. Of course, this far north it doesn't get dark until pretty late.

US12 runs 4 miles from my house in WI. I have a 1976 KH100. Many parts are similar. Right now I am waiting for a 12v regulator to show up so I can convert mine to 12V lights. I like to be able to see and the regulator was only $5.

If you get in a jam or need something and you are nearby (Hudson WI) just PM me. I'm in to help out if you need it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #54
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

All i had to do was high strength epoxy a magnet to the front hub and mount the sensor, Not terribly hard to do...as for cold weather riding, i pretty well park my bikes in the cold, because i dont have cold weather gear... However, if i can get some decent stuff im not opposed to it some time...lol
Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #55
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

SML,
I do not plan on doing any riding between towns after dark. I'm hoping to be hanging with the locals at that point. I do have some bicycle blinkers and was planning on bringing one just in case.

I'm very interested in how the 12v regulator works on your bike. Please post updates about this project as I'd really like to convert most of the lights on my KE over to LED.

Thank you for the offer for help. It's much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #56
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Anyone know what temp would be close to the danger zone on the KEs?

I suppose I could ask Wiseco and Millennium Tech.
I dont have any sciengific reasoning behind this but...LOL i know my ke dislikes getting head temps over 350 degrees farenhiet...it seems to loose top end power after that point... I have seen temps get as high as 375-380 on one ride, doesnt seem any worse for the wear but i wouldnt reccomend letting it get that hot...
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #57
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Searching the web, seems most air cooled bikes are happy between 250-300 degrees. I found one post where the air cooled Ducatis will automatically shut down when they hit 350.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #58
MCRatworks
Oil Burning Suzuki!!

Oddometer: 25
Quote:

Does your TC really need that much oil? 2:1 seems so high. I know my KE isn't even close to that. It does have an oil injection system though and changes the oiling ratio as needed.

I plan on packing light for this trip. My wife has done some backpacking and my packing will be very similar to what she's done. In fact, I'll be using a bit of her gear on this trip.

I don't stick to the side of the road because some people don't know how to give you space as they pass and I tend to be more visible when I take the lane. While riding my bicycle on the side of the road, I've been clipped. Obviously not a pleasant experience, but I wasn't seriously hurt. Since then taking the lane has really made drivers notice me and I get a bit more say in how and when they pass me. I am very courteous to other drivers cause I am very aware of the speed and weight differences.

There is another KE rider on the forum that has a TrailTech Vapor installed. IIRC, he hasn't hooked the speedo up yet. These things interest me as I'm a bit of a tech geek.
Heh heh, I seem to have got a wire crossed, and should have double checked previous posts. It was Bogie saying he gets about a 2:1 ratio fuel to oil tankfuls. I don`t know the capacities of KE tanks, but the TC has a 6.5l (1.5 US gallon??) fuel tank- mine has slightly less due to a side being stoved in from a PO`s knee- and an 800 ml oil tank. I get a lot more than 2 fuel tank fills before a bubble appears in the oil window (i check with it on sidestand, so bubbles appear before they normally would) Then I refill. get around 300+ miles per oil fill. My speedo does read slower now though, as I`ve now got a Mitas E-09 (awesome tyre on gnarly shit, btw) up front, which is quite tall.

I could consult my log book and tell EXACTLY how much of everything it uses. I`m a stat geek

To get my Vapor speedo going, a mate gave me a rare earth magnet out of a hard drive. I broke it in half and RTV siliconed up one of the spoke holes in the hub, and pressed the magnet on. Works a treat, been in dust, rain, and 60 mph (62 just yesterday!) and is still hanging.

Backpacking gear would be ideal, as that stuff is made to be superlight. Shame the good stuff is so expensive here. Glad to hear you weren`t badly hurt after being hit. I give bicyclists EXTRA wide berths, and always check they are still upright in the mirrors after passing. I know how twitchy bicycles can be, and a spooked rider could easily stack it. Hope you pull off your trip unscatched, mate!

Oh, I have a nice red jerry can on the rack of the TC. I imagine cars will give me a wide berth, lest they want a gallon of Go - Juice go through their radiator and spray all over their nice, hot, engine!
Dave
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #59
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

As for the oil situation...LOL i just refill it at 2:1... I probably get about 3-350 miles off one tank of oil, i just dont want to run it down that much due to the graduated nature of the oil tank the bottom half goes much quicker than the top...i dont think i have ever run it past 2/3 empty on the oil tank... Not fond of dropping motors oit of bikes due tonlazy oil refilling...LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 AM   #60
MCRatworks
Oil Burning Suzuki!!

Oddometer: 25
I agree mate. No point in destroying a good engine just cause been too lazy to check.

I check the window on every first daily start. My bike sits higher due to `upgraded` suspension for more ground clearance. (TC has an under frame pipe, which I have very softly ground out twice. No dents, just scratches!) So it leans more on side stand, and bubble appears even though there`s about a third of tank left.

I also check the gearbox oil level every 2-3 days religiously. It has a blown seal on the shaft which controls the high/low shifter. It`s also N.L.A. So it leaves nice puddles where ever parked overnight, and a few drips when out n about. It`s not all bad, in almost 2000 miles I`ve only changed oil once 200 miles after I got it, can check the condition by looking at the puddle, and I`ve NEVER had to lube the chain!

Best part is, I use this 41 year old bike near every day, the oil leak means i`m always cycling it with fresh, clean gearbox oil!